The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Sing our National Anthem the right way!

I'm not watching the Super Bowl (freakin' satellite signal disrupted), but I'm not much for watching football anyway. Browsing the web, I see that Christina Aguilera messed up the lyrics to the National Anthem. I played the video, and what struck me was the style of her singing. I don't know what the correct musical term is for it, but I think you know what I mean -- extending words and phrases into more syllables and expanding the range of each syllable as you go along. Our National Anthem is sacred, people! Get someone who can sing it properly! You can't just pick a pop singer because he/she is popular and hope he/she gets it right! The National Anthem is not the song for fancy voice gymnastics (hey, I said I don't know the terms); next time, a baritone or skillful tenor or even a soprano who can reach the high notes and low notes without embellishments.
Advertisements  
Old 02-06-2011, 07:33 PM

And get off his lawn, too!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

My parents were in a pool about how long it would take for her to sing it. I commented that the pool would be rigged since she would probably be lipsynching. I was proven wrong.

1m53s, btw.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:37 PM
graphite is a great moderator

The Star Spangled Banner is one of the worst musical compositions for singing. It sucks.

Ray Charles did a great version of it. Inspiring. But he wasn't the ideal you wished for. Get over it.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycorax View Post
Our National Anthem is sacred, people!
No, it isn't; not in any sense of the word.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Are you watching a rebroadcast of an old Superbowl? I was impressed by the relatively conservative amount of melisma the singer used. Which isn't to say she didn't use it, just not compared to most singers of the anthem these days.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
Maybe not, but you should still be respectful. And that doesn't mean you shouldn't attempt to sing it correctly.

(My sister was going on and on about how good Xtina is. Because she's a music major, Baby Sis dubs herself THE expert in all things music -- if SHE says it's good, it is.)

Aguilerra may be a talented singer, but her attempt to do the "Star-Spangled Banner" sucked.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 02-06-2011 at 07:48 PM..
Old 02-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Hades: "No, it isn't; not in any sense of the word."

Well, okay, you got me there; a bit of hyperbole on my part, but I think many patriotic Americans would confess to a lump in the throat and tear in the eye on hearing it. Granted, it's a difficult song for most singers, but then, there's the crux of it -- get someone who can do it justice!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:56 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I hate the way people think they need to "perform" the anthem. I know the original melody was a drinking song and I know it's very difficult to sing, but I've never heard a gussied-up version that was worth anything.

Please, NFL, hire someone who will do it justice, as written. Done well, it's a moving piece. Sadly, it's rarely done well, IMHO.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Are you watching a rebroadcast of an old Superbowl? I was impressed by the relatively conservative amount of melisma the singer used. Which isn't to say she didn't use it, just not compared to most singers of the anthem these days.
Dude, she made the word "wave" into at least twenty syllables.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

They should have had Jim Cornelison do it right.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Sadly, Jimi Hendrix is dead.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
Please, NFL, hire someone who will do it justice, as written.
They had to get Xtina because Enrico Pallazzo was a little tied up.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
The Star Spangled Banner is one of the worst musical compositions for singing. It sucks.

Ray Charles did a great version of it. Inspiring. But he wasn't the ideal you wished for. Get over it.
Are you sure you're not thinking of "America the Beautiful"? I'm looking for him singing SSB but no luck so far.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:02 PM

Did anybody else notice that Christina messed up the lyrics?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:11 PM
graphite is a great moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppallingGael View Post
Are you sure you're not thinking of "America the Beautiful"? I'm looking for him singing SSB but no luck so far.

You are correct, sir.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:19 PM

I remember Aretha Franklin similarly oversinging it and botching the words at one of the Democratic National Conventions ('72?).
Old 02-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

I don't even get why we sing it at sporting events. Seems to "de-sacredfy" the whole thing, so to speak.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

By the way, I think she did a great job smoothing over her mistakes. At least she sings it.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

It doesn't have to be sung dead straight to come out nicely; take a listen to Marvin Gaye interpreting it. Christina Aguilera is truly an amazing singer, but she has a serious problem with oversinging. She has the power and the tone to have done a beautiful job on your anthem, but she chose to showboat instead, and I actually burst out laughing at one point listening to it.

Link to Christina's version.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm not watching the Super Bowl (freakin' satellite signal disrupted), but I'm not much for watching football anyway. Browsing the web, I see that Christina Aguilera messed up the lyrics to the National Anthem. I played the video, and what struck me was the style of her singing. I don't know what the correct musical term is for it, but I think you know what I mean -- extending words and phrases into more syllables and expanding the range of each syllable as you go along. Our National Anthem is sacred, people! Get someone who can sing it properly! You can't just pick a pop singer because he/she is popular and hope he/she gets it right! The National Anthem is not the song for fancy voice gymnastics (hey, I said I don't know the terms); next time, a baritone or skillful tenor or even a soprano who can reach the high notes and low notes without embellishments.
You left out the part where you say she should be arrested and charged with treason.

Anyway, maybe you'd like this version better.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 02-06-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
No. A version of the national anthem with conservative melisma is what this woman does on Tosh.0 (starting at 3:44) I just recently heard this, and was very impressed.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:48 PM

that utra-diva bullshit is the least classy way to sing anything. It sounds like shit. American Idol sucks because of ultra-diva bullshit. Where did the tradition come from that you have to BELT THE-HOLYMOTHERFUCK-OooooooooouuuuuuuuT the anthem?

I wish John Mayer/Dave Mathews soft style became pop popular. It still sucks but is less abrasive.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

They should get this kid to do it next year.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:20 PM

I wonder how many people are familiar enough with the lyrics to have noticed her flub.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
I wonder how many people are familiar enough with the lyrics to have noticed her flub.
She pulled it off (the mistake that is, not the song) well enough that for a second I thought I was wrong. I had to go on the internet and look up the lyrics.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walmarticus View Post
that utra-diva bullshit is the least classy way to sing anything. It sounds like shit. American Idol sucks because of ultra-diva bullshit. Where did the tradition come from that you have to BELT THE-HOLYMOTHERFUCK-OooooooooouuuuuuuuT the anthem?

I wish John Mayer/Dave Mathews soft style became pop popular. It still sucks but is less abrasive.
For better or for worse, celebrities performing it at sporting events have been doing it over the top like that for so long, I distinctly remember my sister and I joking about it as kids waaaaay the hell back in the early 90's.

Which was like, 20 years ago. I'm gonna go find a rocking chair and a porch now.

In any case, as everybody knows, the only proper rendition of the National Anthem is sung by a large crowd. Preferably with fireworks or something exploding in the distance at "And the rockets' red glare!"
Old 02-06-2011, 11:21 PM

Whitney Houston '91 is the best version IMB. I read the music director changed the time signature from 3/4 to 4/4. Talk about sacred.

I also notice whenever someone botches TSSB it's usually gleaming/streaming order. I've rarely seen someone forget the words completely.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:25 PM

They should have Mike Rowe sing it. Seriously. He was a professional opera singer. He doesn't sing it fancily, but turns in a proper performance of it and takes it quite seriously. He sang it on an episode of "Dirty Jobs" when he worked as a groundskeeper for the Bowie Baysox professional baseball team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTRJ2...eature=related
Old 02-06-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
Just a quick glance at dictionary.com and we see the following definition of sacred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary.com
reverently dedicated to some person, purpose, or object: a morning hour sacred to study.
Looks to me like it is certainly sacred in some sense of the word.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post

I noticed it, and I'm Canadian.

(I've heard it at lots of hockey games...)
Old 02-07-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
They should have had Jim Cornelison do it right.
For those who have never heard him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMmIK...eature=related
Old 02-07-2011, 12:23 AM

It isn't MY national anthem so it's more of a musical complaint. If you're leading a group of people in a song, you've got to make it so that they can follow it. If you're a spectator trying to sing, you can't follow "ooooooooohhh saaaaaaayyyyyy can you ou ou ou ou seeeEEEee?"
Old 02-07-2011, 12:46 AM
BANNED

That Chrysler commercial with Slim Shady was the most inspiring anthem of the night.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:53 AM

If you haven't figured out by now that a lot of people use singing the star spangled banner as an opportunity for fancy vocal work, you should feel bad. (Also, it's a crappy annoying song anyway, so I don't really care if you think someone butchered it.) Plus, that was possibly the least melismatic song I've heard Christina Aguilera sing so if you thought that was too much, I'd avoid pop music if I were you.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Hades: "No, it isn't; not in any sense of the word."

Well, okay, you got me there; a bit of hyperbole on my part, but I think many patriotic Americans would confess to a lump in the throat and tear in the eye on hearing it. Granted, it's a difficult song for most singers, but then, there's the crux of it -- get someone who can do it justice!
Lump in the throat and a tear in the eye? Even at sporting events? Mostly I just see people shuffling from foot to foot, staring at the ground, waiting for it to be over so the game can start, boredom wafting off their bodies.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
Sadly, Jimi Hendrix is dead.
Yeah, that is my favorite version and I don't mean that ironically, or sarcastically. I think that version is beautiful.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartato View Post
Lump in the throat and a tear in the eye? Even at sporting events? Mostly I just see people shuffling from foot to foot, staring at the ground, waiting for it to be over so the game can start, boredom wafting off their bodies.
1000X this. I used to work for a minor league sports club and every time we heard, "Ohhhhh say....can you....seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" there was a collective groan. Whether you got an encore performance depended on remembering the lyrics, singing quality, and how quickly you got it over with. In practice, it was about 99% the last one.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberhwk View Post
1000X this. I used to work for a minor league sports club and every time we heard, "Ohhhhh say....can you....seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" there was a collective groan. Whether you got an encore performance depended on remembering the lyrics, singing quality, and how quickly you got it over with. In practice, it was about 99% the last one.
It seems rather pointless to me, the whole thing. I get the idea of having the national anthem played. I get the idea of cross-promotion, having a famous singer performing at a big sports event. But the singers seem to need to make themselves the focus of the whole thing, with the trills and the facial contortions and the dragging it out to thirteen minutes - it's about as 'respectful' to the anthem as a stars and stripes bikini is to the American flag. Why not play the instrumental version right before the game starts - the instrumental is apparently good enough for the Olympics - after the famous singer does one of their own songs?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberhwk View Post
Quote:
This has to be a regional/subcultural thing. I've been to dozens of minor league ballparks, and anthem time has been taken fairly seriously at most of them. Beer and cash do not cross the counters. Few people other than veterans remain standing for a color guard's departure from the field, but otherwise the tone is respectful.

Last edited by Peremensoe; 02-07-2011 at 06:03 AM..
Old 02-07-2011, 06:38 AM

US National Anthem by the Academy Choirs

The definitive version.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
It seems rather pointless to me, the whole thing. I get the idea of having the national anthem played. I get the idea of cross-promotion, having a famous singer performing at a big sports event. But the singers seem to need to make themselves the focus of the whole thing, with the trills and the facial contortions and the dragging it out to thirteen minutes - it's about as 'respectful' to the anthem as a stars and stripes bikini is to the American flag. Why not play the instrumental version right before the game starts - the instrumental is apparently good enough for the Olympics - after the famous singer does one of their own songs?
Yeah I don't get the appeal of a famous singer at all. Although this is coming from a foreign perspective.

I love hearing the anthems played before sporting fixtures, for example before a Rugby match. Nothing tops 70,000 odd people singing the anthem with gusto to get the blood up before the game.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

I was wincing and cringing through that whole thing. She was hitting about seven different notes on each syllable, and sometimes none of them were the right notes.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:30 AM

Just chiming in to say I agree with the OP. Some songs just sound better in their original version.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silk1976 View Post
Just chiming in to say I agree with the OP. Some songs just sound better in their original version.
Ditto. The part I don't get is the squeezed shut eyes, grappling hands, arched back, bent knees, writhing... you're singing the song, not having sex with it or wrestling with it.

Although oversinging the national anthem isn't just an American thing. I remember at the winter Olympics last year, some singer managed to savage "O Canada"
Old 02-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

If they continue hiring Pop Stars to sing the Anthem, they will sing it using the style that made them famous enough to be hired for the Superbowl.

I'm sure the jocks don't want to hear some damn opera star. Why not go to straight instrumental & let the people screw up the lyrics?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I don't even get why we sing it at sporting events. Seems to "de-sacredfy" the whole thing, so to speak.
I went with the kids to the circus on Friday - they did the national anthem while a lady wearing some red, white, and blue sequins and a whole lot of boobs rode an elephant around the arena waving a flag.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:25 AM

I think it is high time to just admit that our anthem sucks and no one can sing it well. We need to replace it with something that every American can sing, like "Baby Got Back".

When did Christina Aguilera begin turning into Cyndi Lauper? She is starting to look just like her, especially when oversinging.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death of Rats View Post
I think it is high time to just admit that our anthem sucks and no one can sing it well.
I don't agree. I've heard numerous admirable renditions, even including some expression from the singer.

There are some great instrumental versions as well, which could fill the role as far as I'm concerned.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrududu View Post
Yeah I don't get the appeal of a famous singer at all. Although this is coming from a foreign perspective.

I love hearing the anthems played before sporting fixtures, for example before a Rugby match. Nothing tops 70,000 odd people singing the anthem with gusto to get the blood up before the game.
I agree, it's cool the get the juices going, but it can only work if you have an instrumental version (Live or recorded) playing or a person singing it by the book and not five-bar extensions to every note "Goooooood oh oh oh oh Goood save save yeah saaaaaaave the Qu-eeeeEEEEEeeeeEEEEEeeeennnnn" would be un-sing-alongable.