Why do the Russians hate the British so much?

In contrast with France and Germany, Russia seems intent on isolating the UK for its ire, now I’m just wondering why is this the case? Is it because we’re not dependent on them for natural gas? Because we harbour Russian dissidents? So did France with certain Chechen rebels.

It just strikes me as odd that the Russian government seems to be wanting to damage relations with the UK. Even when I watch Russia Today, the majority of their programmes just seem to be taking swipes at the UK and US.

I’m aware of the various spying scandals, however they had the same thing happen in the US and it doesn’t seem to of damaged relations much. Is there something I’m missing?

It’s probably a small combination of what you mentioned. Basically Russia doesn’t have much of an economic interest in maintaining good relations with them, like they do with Germany. They don’t tend to keep good relations unless they absolutely have to.

It’s probably not so much the various spy-related issues, although there have been many of them, but more the fact that when people flee Russia to criticize from abroad, they usually choose the UK and the UK never extradites them. The UK is for whatever reason a very attractive spot for the political dissidents in RU and is home to so many disgraced Russian billionaires it’s ridiculous. This is more than a little irritating to the Russians, who feel they should have complete jurisdiction over the affairs that affect the country, not wanting the dirty laundry to be aired in front of an international audience.

If you lump them together here, maybe it’s the backlash of the “Specials’ relationship” (or maybe a delayed backlash for the axis of weasels thing as well).
But to tell you the truth I am totally unaware of any Russian ill feelings towards GB. Do you have any links to show us what you mean exactly?

Russia takes swipe at Britain – during visit to rebuild relations

Well, by reading this, it is clear that what is being criticized is the US position (and thus, by guilt by association, GB’s as well). I dont really see a specific anti British sentiment trumping everything here, just a brash criticism of the US and GB’s positions.
Is there more to it than that?

Not sure you’ve made your case here, Ryan_Liam. Bunch of supposition in the OP, and then an Indy article which is just usual diplomatic stuff.

Why are you using GB instead of UK?

Honestly, purely because I think Great Britain sounds better than United Kingdom. The difference is Ulster if I remember correctly?

If that’s the case then explain their good relations with Germany and France and Italy.

Not all of Ulster. The 6 counties of Ulster that make up Northern Ireland (Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Londonderry & Tyrone) are part of the United Kingdom (of Great Britain and Northern Ireland). Ulster itself contains 9 counties - 3 of them (Cavan, Donegal, and Monaghan) became part of Eire.

Because they’re a bunch of Crimeanies!

Could this be anything to do with the fact that Britain sent an army to Russia in 1919 to fight the bolsheviks?

This is probably a joke, but by that rationale they should hate the US and the French and even the Japanese in equal measure.

Not up to me bud, it’s your thesis.

That’s my point bud, they don’t have bad relations with Germany or France, yet the French harbour chechen dissidents and have not incurred Russias wrath, so why the difference?

The Russians don’t so much care about Chechen dissidents as they do about their own kind dissenting though. To the Russians, all Chechens are dirty criminals, so why would they care what they have to say? They do have a lot to be angry about when the UK is protecting the billionaire dissidents, protecting Litvinenko etc. from criminal prosecution in Russia. It makes them look really bad when the Oligarchs who get kicked out of the inner circle by Putin or Medvedev all run off to the same locale to complain about their unfair treatment. Luzhkov is on his way there now, having been Moscow’s longest serving mayor of untouchable status for quite some time.

I don’t think the theory about them hating the UK is far off, here is just one article within quick googling about how Sergei Lavrov is attempting to rebuild relations: http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20110215/162622860.html
Obviously there would be no reason for rebuilding if the relations weren’t strained.

ETA: That article is actually written by a Russian in RIA Novosti about why the two countries have poor relations in the first place and what can be done to fix them.

And yet the UK allows many, many Russians right of abode. This is trivial. Your thesis is “Why do the Russians hate the British so much?”. Please demonstrate this, or at least demonstrate that France or Germany are more, well, whatever it is you are mumbling about.

Why do the Russians hate the British so much?

This:

F NWG C A EDI-NWY

I’m assuming that by Russians he means the Russian government, since his evidence was related to diplomatic relations between the two countries. I’m sure everyday Russians couldn’t care less about the British as a whole.

We harboured not only Marx, but — during the Second Party Congress — Lenin, Trotsky and Stalin amongst others.
Don’t wonder the Russians are pissed at us.