Why do the Russians hate the British so much?

This is true, Marx is buried in Highgate, Engels died in London and had his ashes tossed off Beachy Head. Lenin and Trotsky both spent some time in London. I was going to post “Stalin?!”, but yes he was in London for a bit too. Add to this the connections between the Tsar and our royal family, and the current sheltering of oligarchs, and well, sorry, Russians. :frowning:

Not that this demonstrates “hate”, though

I agree that Great Britain sounds better than United Kingdom. But UK sounds better than GB, plus when I see GB I automatically read it as George Bush.

If we’re being nitpicky, let it be said that the country that occupies the main part of Ireland can only be called Éire in the Irish language. In English, it is called the Republic of Ireland.

Funny story, vaguely remembered from a couple decades ago:

When FDR died, the Soviet ambassador discreetly inquired whether his government could conduct its own autopsy on the body. Eleanor, of course, refused. The ambassador persisted, saying his government strongly suspected the president had been murdered. By whom? “The Churchill Gang!”

Hmm… thinking back to my history, I can also say that the British have been utter dicks to Russia for quite some time. Almost as soon as the RUssians came onto the world scene, they wound up being opposed to the British a series of minor diplomatic feuds. And now that I think of it, most of these were the British kneecapping the Russians from accomplishing something.

They did the same to the Germans, who had a huge chip on their shoulder even before WW2 about it. Who knows? World history might have been a lot nicer had the Brits not been such finely-mannered jerks. :smiley:

Interestingly, before the Communist Revolution, the Russians were remarkably close to the United States, even thought we didn’t have strong ties in any sense. Britain sent in troops on the White side to fight for a certain world political order, but America sent some partly out of friendship.

In English it is indeed the Republic of Ireland. But if I am speaking English, and I refer to Hamburg as being in Bundesrepublik Deutschland, I have not made a mistake.

Ulster is not part of the United Kingdom. Northern Ireland is. If we are being nitpicky and all.

Because your method of drinking tea is nyekulturniy!

I lol’d

Maybe this is the basis of a New World Order - an alliance of tea drinking (and therefore civilized) nations of the world. Led by the British of course, because we drink it right, but spanning Russia, the Far East, the Indian Subcontinent, and some good bits of Africa.

Will someone step in to save heterosexuality?

Not sure why, but if the fiction of E. Phillips Oppenheim* is to be believed, then the Russian animosity predates the peoples revolution and even WW1. He treats it as a given without trying to explain it.

• Project Gutenburg has a number of his works available for free. Be warned that he is typical of his day with regard to racial and anti-semitic slurs.

Oppenheim is a rather painful writer… Worse even than Buchan. However, in addition to banging about the awfulness of rival Germany and the wicked frivolity of France, Russia was a prime favorite bogeyman of such Edwardian writers since it was at that period an imperial autocracy of sorts and thus opposed to comfortable liberal institutions that ran the entirely benevolent British Empah. Also they would have been born only a few decades or less after the Crimean War.
I think it was another of the kind, the still more awful William Le Queux, who began by scaring people silly over the prospects of Invasion from France to seamlessly switching to drumming up the threat of Invasion from Germany. Had, say, the Bismarckian Reinsurance Treaty continued, and Russia taken Germany’s side, then no doubt he’d have streamed propaganda about the wickedness of Russian intentions with remarkable ease.

I have to say, when I think of cafe au lait and a croissant, defending heterosexuality is hardly the first thing that springs to mind. :stuck_out_tongue:

It may sound better, but it is incorrect. Great Britain is the geographical name of the island, on which the soverign nations of England, Scotland and Wales reside. Those countries as well as Northern Ireland (on a separate island) being part of the UK.

That was very noble of the United States! What’s the evidence that the US sent troops purely out of friendship? Friendship to whom? The people of Archangel?

This is getting confusing. So is the country Great Britain or the United Kingdom? And if it’s not the United Kingdom, why is UK always used for the country in the media and never GB?

The sovereign state is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Great Britain is a geographical entity constituting the area occupied by the countries of England, Scotland and Wales, predominately the mainland, but also including the sundry islands that accompany them, such as the Orkneys, Hebredies, Anglesey, the Isle of Wight, the Scilly Isles etc.

Then since I meant the sovereign state, I was correct in saying the UK after all? But people commonly taking the British from being from that same state are not necessarily being accurate?

Obviously. And Germany and France are on good terms because they both had the good sense never to invade Russia.

Most people here say Britain or British [ Briton or Brit is rarely used except for simplicity over the internet: before people just called themselves English or Scottish or Welsh or Irish or Ulstermen, depending where they were born; and still do in private ]. The Great is a geographic descriptive merely to differentiate from Little Bretagne aka Brittany, not a self-compliment.
No-one is going to say they are a UK citizen, or a UKite, or United Kingdomer.

The British Isles is another strictly geographic term that includes all the islands in that archipelago including Ireland ( which over-excites the more pointlessly excited Irish nationalist ).

Actually in the 19th century, England could be used could be used for the whole in those careless days, even by Scots or Welsh; as more simple when travelling abroad to express nationality to people who had never even heard of Wales or Cornwall.

Just seems to be recent fashion, plus it’s the preferred usage of modern government. Although it’s no more specific than ‘United States’ or ‘United Provinces’. Since the UK was decreed by the hanoverian parliament of George III, some of us ignore it completely. Then again, I prefer ‘The Three Kingdoms’ as was right in the 17th century.