When filling out job applications how do I put in military service?

Whenever I’ve filled out a job application they ask for my last three or four jobs. How do I fill in military when they ask for an address and phone number?

1: My supervisor isn’t with the unit anymore
2: Do I just put down the base I was with?
3: I’d rather not have people calling my old unit and bothering them just so I can work at Starbucks
4: Would a DD-214 be enough?

I never gave names and numbers for supervisors for my 11 years of military service. It was never an issue. I’d hold off with the DD-214 unless they made an issue of it.

I put down a supervisor that isn’t there anymore. If they really want to find them, they can call the company. The fact that they left doesn’t make them no longer your former supervisor, does it?

Something like this is probably good:

US Army, Sergeant - 11/04-12/06- Fort Diddlysquat, SC. Repaired helicopters, organized physical training activities, investigated major malfunctions, bit the wax tadpole, etc. - Supervisor, 1LT Joe Bloggs and CPT Ed Edson.
US Army, Corporal - 4/02-11/04. Green Zone Baghdad, Iraq. Patrolled the Green Zone in Iraq. Supervisor, 1SG William Williamson
US Army, PFC… etc.

Old thread, but for future reference, you can put either the Army/Navy/AIr Force/Marines address …

United States Army
1400 Defense Pentagon
Washington, DC 20301-1400

Air Force
1690 Air Force Pentagon
Washington, DC 20330-1670

Navy
1200 Navy Pentagon
Washington, DC 20350-1200

U.S. Marine Corps
2 Navy Annex (Pentagon 5D773)
Washington, DC 20380-1775

Department of Defense
1400 Defense Pentagon
Washington, DC 20301-1400

Or the DFAS, even though it’s the financial side, they have records …

DFAS-IN
8899 East 56th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46249-3300

Or, just put your last unit address, that’s what I do, your last 1st LT, and /or CO/1stSGT/CSM/BLTC whoever, they probably aren’t going to call, and you have you DD214 as proof.

Shouldn’t you write your unit no. (division, brigade, battalion etc.)? Or is that considered classified?

In the US, 95% of the people who read it would not care or even understand what it means. Those who do will be veterans who will ask. I think it would hurt your job chances.

Unless you were in some sort of secret Delta Force thing, typically your unit or MOS (job) wouldn’t be classified.

Like a civilian job, you don’t “have” to do anything. What you want to do to add as much detail is as relevant to the job you are applying for. The whole point being:
a) to show you were doing something during that time period besides being a drifter or hobo
b) you learned relevant skills, and
c) you demonstrated leadership and competency through promotions, awards, etc.

For a Starbucks job, I don’t know why they would care about anything other than 1) you look presentable, 2) you didn’t commit a crime at your last job and c) you can remember orders or customer names to 80% accuracy