May 21st, the end of the world.

There is a house I drive by sometimes and it always has the same SUV parked in the front. The car is covered in a giant decal that proclaims the end of the world will be May 21, 2011. Well, you can imagine that I’m starting to get worried, that is just around the corner. I had to google it and there is a nice website with a lot of convoluted numerology about how they know this exact date.

But I can’t help wondering, if the end of the world is so close and the owner of the car is so certain that he is willing spent the money to decal his car as a billboard, why is he also remodeling his house? Is there something about “end of the world” that I don’t understand?

If all the good folks are raptured it’s just good manners to leave a nice home behind for the damned to live in. It’s not like you have to pay for it.

Saw this at CNN.com yesterday: Road trip to the end of the world - CNN.com

Just in case anyone cares, here is the incontrovertible logic :rolleyes: behind the date calculation.

Read it soon, for on May 22, it will be obsolete and the date recalculated to another, using the same biblical sources and hopeful thinking. Then we’ll be off again on another crusade.

I guess I better hurry up if I’m gonna buy a new car! The clock’s a-ticking!

May 21, 2011? But I’ve got it pencilled in for 2012!

Maybe he’s planning on selling his house (profit!) before May 21st, so that’s why the remodel is still going on. It’s always good to see a hopeful end-of-the-world type.

End of the World
???
Profit

End of the World
???
Prophet. :wink:

I’ve been through two end of world scenarios, one being in 1981 where some kook predicted the rapture. As my family was vacationing near a beach in SC then, us kids ran to the beach and waited. Nothing happened so we concluded that there were no true Christians in South Carolina.

The other was supposed to occur on May 5 of 2000. According to the weird book I read, it would involve the world going off its axis and this would cause lawnmowers to rain from the sky. I was excited because I really needed a lawnmower and I ordered my co- workers to help on the exciting day by catching them. They looked at me funny and backed away.

Well, the day came and went and soon I realized I’d just have to buy a mower at Sears.

May 21st? That’s too soon! We haven’t got our new polymer banknotes yet!

So much for spending my tax refund.

So what does he plan to do with the money? Take it with him? Excuse me while I find a camel and a needle.

One would think that they could actually park in some sort of order, or after however long they have been doing this learned to do it efficiently and smoothly …

Damn it, why didn’t I join this year’s death pool and pick Everyone in the World? I would have won easy.

This wouldn’t be off of King’s Highway near Alexandria, would it? There’s a house there (intersection of Memorial or maybe Harrison) that has signs proclaiming some very religious-based radio station. Haven’t particularly looked at any SUV (I don’t go by that terribly often).

That’s the one. The house across the street always has a massive Christmas light display.

But but but… everyone on the mommy message boards is freaking out about 12/21/12. It’s the end of the Incan calendar!

snicker

No seriously. They’re putting together 72-hour survival kits. I guess if you get through the first 72 hours of the end of the world you’re golden.

I only have enough money to live on till May 31st, so that comes as a relief, I won’t have to worry anymore :slight_smile:

Who are you going to believe, the Incans or a nice SUV with decals? I swear, some people can be so gullible.