The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 03-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Hit a deer with my car

It happened when I was driving on the NYS Thruway at 65 on my way down to Lunacon. I just happened to look at the median and saw a deer, and immediately thought, "that thing looks like he's going to try to cross the road." Hit the brakes to slow down.

Sure enough, he went into the left lane (I was in the right). I kept braking, hoping it might stay in the left lane, but, at the last moment, when I was down to about 15 mph, he darted into my lane and crashed onto my bumper and hood.

I pulled to the side. He ran off. I didn't pay any attention to him, though I later saw him lying on the grass on the side of the road.

The left front quarter panel was cracked (this is a Saturn, with plastic sides) and was detached from the bumper. There were also two cracks in the driver's door; I think they were caused by his hoofs.

The woman behind us stopped and said she appreciated the fact we didn't swerve. I guess she was in the left lane and I might have swerved into her.

The engine seemed fine, so we drove to the next rest stop and bought some duct tape to keep things from cracking any more. We actually completed the trip without other incident (though Mrs. Chuck was worried things might fall apart).

We got the insurance adjuster to look at it today. Now we have to figure out how to fix things.
Advertisements  
Old 03-22-2011, 10:39 PM

good you are ok.

good you didn't swerve. often the damage is done to a person loosing control of their car in the swerving and not hitting the animal; that damage to people and car are worse than the animal impact.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpost View Post
good you are ok.

good you didn't swerve. often the damage is done to a person loosing control of their car in the swerving and not hitting the animal; that damage to people and car are worse than the animal impact.
Not only that but if you swerve to miss an animal and run into a tree or a ditch, the claim would apply to the collision coverage on your car insurance - and it would be charged against you as an at fault accident. Which can lead to an increase in premium at renewal time.

Hitting an animal, on the other hand, is charged to your comprehensive coverage which covers unavoidable, 'act of God' type mishaps and probably won't count against you.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:02 AM

nice that you are good
Old 03-23-2011, 01:36 AM

you are lucky that you and your passengers are ok... be glad for that, and let the insurance handle the rest.

Honestly, to see a deer going above 50 on any road is scary. They can not only do major damage to your car, but can cause multiple accidents (by a driver swerving, etc.)

Glad everything worked out for all involved. Except the deer, of course. Dumbest animal on the planet. I think they actually try to hit your car sometimes. Like a suicide. I actually STOPPED on a road when a deer jumped out in front of me and ran to the other side of the road. When he didn't get hit (everyone was stopped, watching what he would do next), he turned and ran right into my fender and front bumper. Thanks for that, Bambi!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:22 AM

I pulled to the side. He ran off. I didn't pay any attention to him, though I later saw him lying on the grass on the side of the road.

And?

Does it make me crazy that I would have at least called someone about the injured deer?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapri View Post
Does it make me crazy that I would have at least called someone about the injured deer?
Nope not crazy at all. Animal control had to come out and shoot a deer my buddy hit because it was suffering with two broken legs.

It's inhumane not to call the local animal services or police. (Police will put animals out of their misery too).
Old 03-23-2011, 10:34 AM

I'd always heard that when an impact with a deer is unavoidable that you should speed up instead of braking, since breaking will lower the nose of your car and make it more likely for the animal to come through your windshield.

When I was a kid I was riding on my skateboard on the sidewalk and a deer came tear assing from between two houses and almost ran me down. It then proceeded to jump through a picture window of another house, where it went absolutely beserk and completely trashed the family room of my friends house with panicked running and bleeding all over. The owner of the house borrowed another neighbor's shotgun and put it down. Total cost was over $10k of damage (this was the early 80's and the place was trashed) to the house and an expensive ticket from the cops for the illegal discharge of a firearm within city limits.

Anyway, deer are batshit stupid crazy animals.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

I'm glad you had time to slow down. Sorry about your car.

Poor dumb deer.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallowed My Cellphone View Post
(Police will put animals out of their misery too).
YMMV on this. Had a situation where a dying deer, after being hit by a car, dragged itself into my business' parking lot. A cop responded to the call, but explained that he was not allowed to discharge his weapon for an injured deer. The Pennsylvania Game Commission was called. They offered to haul away the body, but it would be at least three days wait. If the deer were still alive when they came, they would kill it.

Eventually, I drove home and got my handgun. I shot the deer and a friend helped me get it into my dumpster.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:07 AM

Good to hear that you're OK, RealityChuck. Your story sounds very similar to mine (complete with the thought of "that deer's going to try to cross the road"), except that I'd only been able to slow down to about 55 (from 75) when I hit it. I was very lucky that it hit the "A-pillar" on the passenger side, which threw it off the car, or it would have wound up coming right through the windshield. A state trooper examined the car, decided that there was no mechanical damage, and cleared me to drive the car the remaining 100 or so miles to home (I, too, wound up using duct tape to keep the windshield together).

Last edited by kenobi 65; 03-23-2011 at 11:10 AM..
Old 03-23-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
YMMV on this. Had a situation where a dying deer, after being hit by a car, dragged itself into my business' parking lot. A cop responded to the call, but explained that he was not allowed to discharge his weapon for an injured deer.
This is true. It probably depends on your jurisdiction.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapri View Post

And?

I assumed he was dead. He wasn't showing any movement.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:41 PM

Here's one we almost hit. A wee bit slower and we've have arrived at the same point in space/time, I suspect.

http://tinyurl.com/4sbj2l7

And my son on his first night-time solo outing...

http://tinyurl.com/4tre5ol

He told mom, but not me, thinking his excited utterance would get him a thumpin or somethin!
Old 03-24-2011, 05:35 PM
21st Century Troubadour

Glad to hear you're okay.

If it's a living creature, hit the brakes. Turn to avoid collision only if a) you are traveling at a slow enough rate of speed that you can maintain control of the vehicle AND b) you are aware of the position of every other vehicle on the road and can turn safely. If either condition is missing, do not turn the vehicle. 'Swerve' to me always implies a lack of foresight.

This is remembered verbatim from both defensive driving courses and motorcycle safety courses.

I think speeding up for a deer is not a good idea, and I would like a reference to a safety manual that says that. Not only are they tall enough that they are likely to come through your windshield in any case, they tend to leap when they're in a hurry. Moose - forget about it. They're coming through the windshield. Hit the brakes and maintain control. Lie across the front seat before impact.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Just the same I'd like to hear the deer's version of the story! "Well I was just minding my own business taking a lovely stroll when this crazy driver came out of nowhere ...WHAM! .... yeah I must admit that I froze a bit when I saw those headlights, but wouldn't you under the circumstances!?"
Old 03-24-2011, 11:03 PM

I have never run into a deer (knock on wood) but I had a deer run into me. Put a nice size dent on the left front quarter panel of my Metro.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluricaun View Post
I'd always heard that when an impact with a deer is unavoidable that you should speed up instead of braking, since breaking will lower the nose of your car and make it more likely for the animal to come through your windshield.
Mythbusters did a show on this and found it wasn't true. At any reasonable speed, the deer is going to hit the same general area and more speed just results in more damage.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:05 AM

Mr. Surrounded and I lived an a thick wooded area for years. We never even came close to hitting a deer although we saw them all the time beside the roadway.

It wasn't until we came off the mountain to drive across the desert that we hit a deer. We could see for miles in every direction, but the damn thing approached the road behind a single highway sign.

Go figure...
Old 03-25-2011, 05:16 AM

I had a little Honda CRX in the 90s and I hit a deer with it. It was undrivable. They fixed it, but it was never right after that.

I was entertained that the state policeman that showed up wanted to go find the deer and harvest the meat.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Mythbusters did a show on this and found it wasn't true. At any reasonable speed, the deer is going to hit the same general area and more speed just results in more damage.
I got burnt out on Mythbusters a while ago and haven't seen one in years. Maybe I should tune back in.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
YMMV on this. Had a situation where a dying deer, after being hit by a car, dragged itself into my business' parking lot. A cop responded to the call, but explained that he was not allowed to discharge his weapon for an injured deer. The Pennsylvania Game Commission was called. They offered to haul away the body, but it would be at least three days wait. If the deer were still alive when they came, they would kill it.

Eventually, I drove home and got my handgun. I shot the deer and a friend helped me get it into my dumpster.
A buddy of mine is a sheriff in our (rural) county. He has put quite a few injured deer out of their misery. ( I guess he's allowed.) He shoots them right behind the ear.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadaji View Post
I was entertained that the state policeman that showed up wanted to go find the deer and harvest the meat.
When I hit (and instantly killed) the deer, the Wisconsin state trooper said, "Do you want the deer? Legally, you have rights to it, since you killed it." "Ummm, thanks, but I don't think I have any way to get it home" (my car was drivable, but it was also a little Mazda Protege).
Old 03-26-2011, 08:14 PM

Hit a deer with my truck once. After 2K worth of repairs, I purchased a very nice grill guard. Since I bought the grill guard, I've two deer run into the SIDE of my truck.

Dumb deer.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallowed My Cellphone View Post

It's inhumane not to call the local animal services or police. (Police will put animals out of their misery too).
And around here, if they get there within a certain amount of time, they'll take it in the trunk of the squad car somewhere to get it skinned and cleaned up and then take the meat to the food pantry/homeless shelter where they'll refrigerate it and serve it over the next few days.

Glad you're all right. We hit a 14 or 16 point buck last summer in the minivan. Damn was that scary. He sped up to hit it, so it bounced. Nearly destroyed the entire car; the radiator was leaking and the whole front end was completely destroyed, axles broken and I couldn't get out of my side. The repair bill was 1k less than the total replacement value of the car.

ETA:
Quote:

That's bizarre, that can't possibly be PA law not to kill it because it was clear from our situation that they had a whole procedure outlined; maybe they only do it if they can salvage the meat. Our deer was shot by the North Versailles cops no more than 10 minutes after our accident and quickly loaded into the trunk one squad car so they could get it cleaned up and refridgerated.

Last edited by lindsaybluth; 03-26-2011 at 11:05 PM..
Old 03-26-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post
Here's one we almost hit. A wee bit slower and we've have arrived at the same point in space/time, I suspect.

http://tinyurl.com/4sbj2l7

And my son on his first night-time solo outing...

http://tinyurl.com/4tre5ol

He told mom, but not me, thinking his excited utterance would get him a thumpin or somethin!
The navigation lady kept her cool though.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck The Diver View Post
Since I bought the grill guard, I've two deer run into the SIDE of my truck.

Dumb deer.
The antlered bastards know.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:29 PM

Deer seem to like certain cars. With my Ford Fiesta I hit two and had plenty of almost-crashes. They were just running straight to my car. When I drove my sister's car or now my new car they are running away.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadaji View Post
I had a little Honda CRX in the 90s and I hit a deer with it. It was undrivable. They fixed it, but it was never right after that.

I hit a deer maybe 3 years ago on a state road near the IL/WI border. We were slowing down to stop at a red light, so by the time I hit him, I was only going maybe 5 mph. Barely glanced him - he ran away, and there was no damage to the car, not even a scratch.

I was pretty shaken up, though, so I pulled into the gas station on the other side of the intersection, both to gather my wits and to call my friend whose house we were going to - she is a huge animal person, so I knew she'd know who to call about the injured deer.

Much to my surprise, she couldn't have cared less about the deer - "they're like forest rats around here," was her first reaction. But then she was a little preoccupied, and I didn't know why until we left the gas station to continue on our way to her house. I'd heard a loud noise while we were parked in the gas station, and apparently in the few minutes we'd been stopped, a semi had overturned, blocking most of the road we'd been traveling on. We discovered later that it had been double-stacked with horses on their way to a slaughterhouse in Canada. My friend is on the horse rescue phone tree and had just gotten a call and left her own Hallooween party to go rescue injured horses that had to be cut out of the trailer; she had nightmares about the carnage at the scene for months afterward.

Of course, when we finally got to her house and explained to another friend what had happened, his first response was "so where's the venison?"