The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 03-24-2011, 11:31 AM

Do you eat the soft chicken bones?

When I eat chicken on the bone, there's almost nothing left when I'm done. After I eat every last morsel of meat, I eat the ribs, and any other bones that look like they might be chewable, like the breastbone. Then I take the leg and thigh bones and bite off both ends, and eat the gristle and sinew. Then, if the chicken was cooked just right, I slurp out the wet, dark-red marrow from the bone like a straw. I eat the wings the same way. I just pop the neck and any vertebrae into my mouth whole and eat them like popcorn. Crunchy goodness.

People seem to think this is weird. Am I the only one who does this?
Advertisements  
Old 03-24-2011, 11:43 AM

Ewww.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuauhtemoc View Post
When I eat chicken on the bone, there's almost nothing left when I'm done. After I eat every last morsel of meat, I eat the ribs, and any other bones that look like they might be chewable, like the breastbone. Then I take the leg and thigh bones and bite off both ends, and eat the gristle and sinew. Then, if the chicken was cooked just right, I slurp out the wet, dark-red marrow from the bone like a straw. I eat the wings the same way. I just pop the neck and any vertebrae into my mouth whole and eat them like popcorn. Crunchy goodness.

Yes. Just you (and a lot of dogs).

Last edited by Labtrash; 03-24-2011 at 11:49 AM..
Old 03-24-2011, 12:07 PM

My wife is a gristle-eater and some of that has rubbed off on me.

Having said that, I don't consider a chicken neck to be "soft bones".
Old 03-24-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
Ewww.
What? It's delicious! That's like half the flavor of the chicken right there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtrash View Post
Well, if you've ever seen a dog with a bone, you know how much he enjoys it. I think there's something deep within our mammalian nature that craves meat right off the bone. It makes me feel close to my proto-hominid ancestors. Picture a caveman with a bone from a freshly killed mammoth. That's me with a chicken.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:11 PM

Does this poll apply to all of us including those Dopers who are non-zombies?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
Ewww.
That was my audible reaction upon reading the thread title, even before I opened it. Right now there’s an exasperated John Cleese homunculus in my head screaming “well don’t you even take the bones out,” with a complacent and unflapped imaginary cuauhtemoc responding in a somewhat dismissive manner “if I took the bones out, they wouldn’t be crunchy, now would they?”
Old 03-24-2011, 12:33 PM

Yes, I do that if eating chicken in private. And Labtrash, I'm not a dog.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:41 PM

I'm feeling seriously queasy now, thanks.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

I save the bones in the freezer until I have enough to make broth. Cook them in water for about three hours and THEN get the chickeny goodness of the bones.

Last edited by Jake; 03-24-2011 at 12:47 PM..
Old 03-24-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
What? It's delicious! That's like half the flavor of the chicken right there!
I've tried beef marrow before and it tasted like death.
If I happen to get a chicken wing with a broken bone, it grosses me out to the point that I can't eat it.

I suppose that puts us on opposite ends of the spectrum -- but still, I'm not turning in my carnivore card.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:50 PM

Soft? Nothing about the bones you mentioned could be considered soft,

I think you mean extra brittle.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

I sometimes eat the breastbone, ribs & wingtips and chew off both ends of the leg bone but that's about it.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

I love marrow (a nice beef marrow bone, with the marrow spread on toast and a bit of salt--that's a real treat), but chicken bones? You're an odd duck.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:52 PM

I threw up in my mouth.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelellogram View Post
I threw up in my mouth.
Larks vomit?
Old 03-24-2011, 02:02 PM

That's pretty gross, sorry.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:05 PM

I eat the wing tips and some of the ribs depending on softness. I’m not sure what you mean by biting off the leg and thigh bone ends. I love the crunchy cartilage caps on the ends of the bone but accessing the marrow would seem to take a lot more work. I do love me some beef bone marrow, maybe I’ll try it.

Forgot, I eat the breast bone cartilage as well
Old 03-24-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I threw up in my mouth.
I threw up in your mouth too.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:09 PM

Gak.

My grandmother used to have special spoons for bone marrow for things like lamb or beef. It was awful watching her use one.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:18 PM

John Bredin, Lute Skywatcher, and sitchensis, you guys are cool, you know what I'm talking about. The rest of you, next time you think you're finished with your chicken, but you're still a little hungry, you'll think of this thread, wherein I dared you to eat chicken bones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrador Deceiver
Soft? Nothing about the bones you mentioned could be considered soft
I'm not saying they're soft like a marshmallow. I'm saying they're chewable, if you're willing to put a little effort into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
I save the bones in the freezer until I have enough to make broth. Cook them in water for about three hours and THEN get the chickeny goodness of the bones.
Right, you boil the bones to get the flavor. What does that tell you? That there's a lot of flavor in those bones! Mmmm... bones.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitchensis View Post
I eat the wing tips and some of the ribs depending on softness. I’m not sure what you mean by biting off the leg and thigh bone ends. I love the crunchy cartilage caps on the ends of the bone but accessing the marrow would seem to take a lot more work. I do love me some beef bone marrow, maybe I’ll try it.

Forgot, I eat the breast bone cartilage as well
That's about the level that I'm at, although I haven't bothered with chicken ribs. But just crunching on the entire neck? That makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
People seem to think this is weird.
I'll take "Things that are weird for a thousand" Alex.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:24 PM

That is fucking foul. And fowl.

I leave a bit of meat on the bone, usually.

Joe
Old 03-24-2011, 05:25 PM

It's not a big deal and I would if I had a limited supply of food and was pretty hungry. We all would as it would be delicious if your at that hunger point... Everytime? No, it is being greedy if you have a kitchen with food in it.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:42 PM

I give all that gross stuff to the dogs, including the soft bones. They don't get the leg bones due to reports that they'll splinter in the intestines and kill them, although frankly I'm a bit dubious that that would actually happen.

Personally, I'm pretty picky about the cleanliness of my chicken meat, I can't even handle veins.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:56 PM

Having eating some pretty offbeat things in my days (especially for a white guy from the rural Midwest), I'm not quite in the "eww" camp, but I can't imagine doing that. Gristle and bones are just..unpleasant.

I can only assume the OP would love Dim Sum chicken feet, since my recollection is that they're basically hunks of gristle and bone with a chewy exterior.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:36 PM

The ends of chicken thigh bones and leg bones are mostly cartilage, and are perfectly edible, delicious, and good for your hair and nails.

I like to bite off these knobs and chew them until only a little crumb of brown bone (I guess it's a kneecap) is left. As for the chicken bone marrow, I'll only go after that if I feel like it.
It has sort of a coppery blood taste to it. I'm a lapsed Jehovah's Witness, so eating the marrow has a delightfully naughty undertone for me. Hey, some people love the taste of blood. Black puddings, Polish duck blood soup, there's gotta be something to it.

I like beef marrow spread on bread, but I've only had it a couple of times. I can't eat too much of it. It's very rich, and I soon get a little queasy from overindulging, but not from the taste which is heaven.

I often like to take the chicken ribs, and put them one by one between an upper and lower tooth and pull. Mmmmmm. It's like marrow, but not so pronounced in flavor.

I also love gnawing on beef and pork bones. Ox tail, oh my freakin' god!

Sometimes, I think I enjoy the bones of meat more than the meat. The bones are certainly more fun. Plus there's the satisfaction of knowing I'm wasting absolutely nothing of my food.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who View Post
I threw up your throw up.

Last edited by Rachellelogram; 03-24-2011 at 06:44 PM..
Old 03-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Chicken breast bones creep the hell out of me. I couldn't imagine eating them.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
I can only assume the OP would love Dim Sum chicken feet, since my recollection is that they're basically hunks of gristle and bone with a chewy exterior.
No, man! I had some soup at one of those places once, and when I picked up my spoon and saw that thing, I almost jumped out of my chair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
It's not a big deal and I would if I had a limited supply of food and was pretty hungry. We all would as it would be delicious if your at that hunger point... Everytime? No, it is being greedy if you have a kitchen with food in it.
Greedy? Maybe you're being wasteful to throw out perfectly good, edible parts of a chicken. What, you think you're too good to eat chicken bones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
The ends of chicken thigh bones and leg bones are mostly cartilage, and are perfectly edible, delicious, and good for your hair and nails.

I like to bite off these knobs and chew them until only a little crumb of brown bone (I guess it's a kneecap) is left. As for the chicken bone marrow, I'll only go after that if I feel like it.
It has sort of a coppery blood taste to it. I'm a lapsed Jehovah's Witness, so eating the marrow has a delightfully naughty undertone for me. Hey, some people love the taste of blood. Black puddings, Polish duck blood soup, there's gotta be something to it.

I like beef marrow spread on bread, but I've only had it a couple of times. I can't eat too much of it. It's very rich, and I soon get a little queasy from overindulging, but not from the taste which is heaven.

I often like to take the chicken ribs, and put them one by one between an upper and lower tooth and pull. Mmmmmm. It's like marrow, but not so pronounced in flavor.

I also love gnawing on beef and pork bones. Ox tail, oh my freakin' god!

Sometimes, I think I enjoy the bones of meat more than the meat. The bones are certainly more fun. Plus there's the satisfaction of knowing I'm wasting absolutely nothing of my food.
This is the best post in this thread. Thank you.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who View Post
Quote:
I threw up your throw up.
Are you the people who left a puke trail on the El platform last night? 'Cause that was gross.

If someone ate chicken in that manner in front of me, I would possibly lose my dinner. I would definitely have to leave. I can appreciate chewing on a good bone, but that's just too far.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:36 AM

As I said above, I do it, I love it, but in response to SDT, I would never do it in front of mixed company.

On the other hand, in the unlikely event we ever started dating you would be slowly indoctrinated into the right way to eat chicken.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:27 AM

I used to eat at a BBQ place that somehow cooked the chicken to where the bones would dissolve in your mouth, at least the smaller bones. The larger ones took a little more chewing, but those too would dissolve. The owner would just say that he cooked the chicken for a whole day. It closed down about 20 years ago. I'd love to know how he cooked it.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:41 AM

I'll eat certain parts of the bone, but not the whole thing. And only on the really good chicken (i.e. locally fried).

I am also intrigued by what sounds like actual barbecued chicken, if it's cooked for that long. I've been told that true barbecue chicken was impossible.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:48 AM

Yum. Cartilage is the best part of the leg. I would totally eat chicken feet. Pigs ears are tasty too.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:49 AM

Some friends and I go to this BBQ place sometimes, and I always get the beef ribs. On the odd occasion when my friends order them too, there's always all this meat left on the bone when they're done. I think they don't know how to eat beef ribs, because when I'm done, the bones on my plate look like they've been bleaching in the desert sun for three weeks. And these are those big, dinosaur-looking ribs that tipped over Fred Flintstone's car.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
Most chicken feet I've had have been mostly a gooey, gluey exterior over foot bones. The non-bone stuff comes off pretty easily, so there's not really any purpose in gnawing on the bones.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

If I get some chicken that's cooked just right, I do something very similar. But I pick out the hard bits from the neck and ribs.

Mmmmm marrow.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:54 PM

HEY there is one more person out there that eats like me; I figured I was the only strange one, but having a family of five, hubby and three kids and then me, I found after cutting up a chicken for us five, I was left mostly with all the meat around the bones.

Two breasts, two thighs, and would keep the two drumsticks incase anyone wanted more chicken, which was always the case. So I would eat a tiny strip of breast meat with the two wings, and what ever else I could get off the bones, have always loved cartilage, but then tried the neck bones once, and oh gosh they were good too! The carcass of the chicken was completely clean when I got done with it. LOL

Now of course in public, I would ask for my bones to go, and eat them in private when I got home, since almost everyone would be like gross by it.

Beef rib bones, pork and lamb bones too, all get cleaned completely if the meat has been well cooked !!!! Especially beef rib bones and they must come home with me too, for they are way too big for me to clean up at a restaurant. LOL

Anyway I just googled to see if there were any body else out there that cleaned their bones like me. This is the only thread I found where someone else has admitted to everything I do. I’ve been doing this for over half my life actually.

Now for all those that think we are weird,
I have really strong nails and bones, and hardly ever drink milk.
My hair is extremely healthy, and has never been coloured to cover the small grey I have.
I'm just completing my 50th year, and always get guessed I'm in my mid 30's instead.

I've read once the benefits of bones is good for bones and hair,
and I have to say it has worked for me.

Plus how about the benefit of shark cartilage, really the shark who eats all the other swimming things in the oceans, has a cartilage that has healthy benefits for us, you really think it is the only cartilage out there that would have some benefits for us?

Thanks for your post cuauhtemoc ! At least I am not alone, sure glad you and I don’t live under the same roof, for we would have to fight for the bones ! LOL

Oh and FYI
was so glad to know I'm not the only one like this,
had to register today and post this reply,
so that all others that one day come along and read this,
know there are more like you !

Karen
Old 02-11-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtrash View Post
You aren't supposed to give dogs chicken bones. Or so I've been told all my life.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

My granpap used to love gnawing on bones (he'd be at the table for hours after Thanksgiving dinner, just gnawing), but even he never actually ate the bones themselves. This is the first I've heard of any human doing that.

That said, I'm not actually grossed out by it-- I'd never do it myself, and I certainly consider it bizarre, but if you want to, that's your business.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:53 PM

I eat the wing tips if they are really cooked.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:23 PM

I don't even eat chicken wings - to me, it is like gnawing on a rat carcass.

I suppose if I were starving to death somewhere and it was the last thing there was to eat and I was losing my mind, I might possibly lick the bone or something - but otherwise, the short answer is no.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
I used to eat at a BBQ place that somehow cooked the chicken to where the bones would dissolve in your mouth, at least the smaller bones. The larger ones took a little more chewing, but those too would dissolve. The owner would just say that he cooked the chicken for a whole day. It closed down about 20 years ago. I'd love to know how he cooked it.
if you make chicken stock, the bones will indeed crumble. most ways I've seen involve simmering chicken carcasses (all bones included) for 6 to 8 hours.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
if you make chicken stock, the bones will indeed crumble. most ways I've seen involve simmering chicken carcasses (all bones included) for 6 to 8 hours.
Hey, thanks! I've wondered about this for years! I've made plenty of chicken stock, but I don't cook it nearly that long.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

I have an aunt who would work a pernil bone until it cracked. She then ate the marrow. A pernil and it's giant bone..

There was this fried fish place in East New York that fried its white fish so crispy, you didn't even notice all the annoying bones.

But no, I've never eaten a chicken in that fashion.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:15 PM

Do you eat soft chicken bones

Quote:

I cook a whole chicken in the crock pot all day on low. When I get home from work the chicken falls right off of the bones. The bones are so soft and some mushy it's edible. They taste really good. Sometime I cook chicken wings and make them really crispy that the bones are so brittle you can eat those too! They are so good they taste almost like pork rinds or crispy bacon!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:52 AM

Yumm.

When I have a chicken dinner, I, too, save the bones and cook them all night for chicken stock for soup or gravy for the next day. But the treat for me is a snack of soft, savory bones with flavorful marrow, cartilage and whatever else is in that resultant slurry. This practice comes from my father who taught me how to "split the bone" to get at the insides. It reminds me of cracking open crabs or lobsters for the tiniest bits of stuff. I also will not do this at the dinner table, but my father sure did. So many people expressing disgust with the idea of consuming all parts of our food, rich or poor. At one time wings were considered almost waste. Now they are almost a delicacy! Anyway, my hair and nails also are terrific and I am well into my fifties! Maybe Slovak descent is part of it... Peace.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:24 PM

When I deep fry chicken wings (for buffalo style, sweet chilli sauce marinade, or just garlic dry rub), I give the drummets to the heathens, the midjoint (flats) to the others and I over-fry the tips to nearly black 'n crispy for myself. I leave no trace of hydroxyapetite on my plate, sir.