Dirt 3

I’m starting this thread a little early only because I saw this:

You’re looking at a collector’s edition bundle of Dirt 3. It comes with a copy of Dirt 3, of course, but also a pro grade RC car. Apparently the little car usually goes for around $280 so if that is of interest to you and so is the game, it’s actually a really good deal.

Here’s the car in action:

Dirt 2 usually brought a good 8+ of us dopers together to play on the weekends, I’m sure it’s going to be no different for Dirt 3 so pick it up! Well, the regular version at least :slight_smile:

I’ve been keeping up with all the dirt 3 news and it sounds like it’s going to be awesome. There isn’t anything I’ve heard that’s discouraging - except one thing which can either be bad or awesomely good*.

It’s less retardedly YEAH X-GAMES EXTREME BROSKI! than dirt 2 and more focused on rallying. There are apparently over 100 cars and about double the number of rally tracks. There will also be weather and night tracks for every track. There’s multistage rallying - if it had persistent damage that’d be cool.

There will be a system for uploading replays to youtube, even multiplayer replays, but it sounds like it only saves one so you’d have to leave after the race you wanted to share and do it then - still, we’ve had so many epic races in our sdmb games that I’d love to be able to record the best of them.

There will also be “party modes”, not sure exactly what but it sounds like some sort of infected or tag mode, maybe others. Some types: Cat ‘n’ Mouse, Goldrush, Outbreak and Transporter - sounds like they could be a lot of fun and add variety

Hopefully they’re building off the PC dirt 2 engine and not porting the console dirt 3 engine - they added a lot of extra work to the PC version of dirt 2 to make it look a lot better and succeeded - it’s easily the most beautiful racing game ever and quite possibly one of the top 5 most beautiful games ever period. I don’t expect much in the way of advances graphically but I hope they keep at least what they’ve already developed.

This is one of the very few games I’m so confident will be awesome I’m going to preorder it.
*I’ve read that they took out raid, and instead incorporated it into rally. I don’t know if that means there will be no simultaneous start type raid tracks, or if it means that all rally tracks will have a raid style simultaneous start option. If it’s the latter, that’d be awesome - we could do mayhem and destruction on every track. If it’s the former, that would suck - we’d only get simultaneous start races with rallycross and land rush.

Ah wait - another negative - no gate crasher. Just found that out when looking for news. Dunno why, I love gate crasher.

Oh, and GWFL again. I guess there were a few negatives. Still outweighed by the massive awesome though.

Party mode explained:

Looks like invasion will replace gate crashers.

Transporter - capture the flag - sounds like fun.

Outbreak sound interesting too. And my natural state in racing games is right on top of someone else, I think I’ll do good.

Was it you or pilot141 who somehow fell off that cliff on the croatia map and landed upside down on a tightly clustered group of racers? All I remember was that we were having a tight, hard fought race when all of the sudden a giant truck falls out of the sky upside down and ruins everything.

Almost pissed myself.
Sounds like the party modes all take place in arena type maps, maybe the gymkhana maps, is that right? I was hoping it’d be more like a modifier you could apply to any track in the game.

I hope the transporter one is more like king of the hill than capture the flag like it says. Where you have a timer counting up how long you’ve held the flag, and if anyone else gives you a solid hit they take it from you - so you have one guy trying to avoid getting hit by the other 7, and the flag constantly changing hands. That would be awesome.

I ruined a lot of races but I don’t think that was me falling on your head!

I don’t think gatecrasher will be missed very much. I don’t mind it, but it kind of changes your driving style - instead of being hell-bent for leather, you have to balance it with precision. That’s not a bad thing, but it sometimes doesn’t mix well with trucks dropping in out of the sky!

The guy falling from the sky was me.

I believe I landed right on top of a gate, upside down.

Dirt 3 is up for preorder on d2d. The price is $50, most codemasters games are $40. Still an easy preorder decision for me…

Anyway, d2d has a promo code this weekend for 25% off anything over $20, so you can preorder the game for $37.50 with the code BUNNY at checkout. It’s not steamworks, so you can’t register it on steam (although you can make a shortcut), so up to you to decide if having it on steam is worth the extra $12.50. Figured I’d give you guys a heads up.

No word on preorder bonuses - CM said there would be some, but none are listed anywhere.

And it’s also available on Steam for $44.99 now. This sale price will probably be good until about a week before release if they stay true to form.

I pre-ordered it on Steam because nothing warms my heart more than getting berated by SenorBeef for missing a game.

Well, missing every game. You haven’t played anything with us for 6 months.

2 weeks until it comes out. If you preordered it on steam you get an extra copy of dirt 2 to gift to someone. If anyone wants dirt 2, I’m sure someone will give you their extra copy, just post about it.

I was hoping there’d be some other kind of preorder bonus, but no indications yet.

Heads up, game is preloadable on steam.

Can’t wait. Not sure what the actual release time is, but if it’s midnight, I’ll try to get a game going as soon as it’s up. Otherwise if it releases in the morning I’ll probably be playing around our normal gaming time.

Gametrailers video review gives it a 92. Looks pretty awesome, weather effects are nice, damage looks more detailed, everything looks good. I bet the capture the flag party mode will be the most fun by far.

The replay system is dissapointing - why they won’t let us save race replays I have no idea. I mean, they show you the replays anyway, and you can see the ghosts of other people’s laps, so they obviously have a file format for it worked out - so why not just let us save and replay those? 30 second low res clips to youtube that make you leave the game to do it is… better than nothing, but dissapointing.

Other than my concern that they’ve taken out raid tracks (still not 100% sure that’s the case), this is looking to be the best racing game ever.

Go away GWFL, no one likes you!:mad:

The game gets released on 1pm eastern on Tuesday. Hopefully it’s a hitch-free release. I scheduled our first multiplayer game for 8pm on Tuesday. Have the game configured and ready to go by then.

Make sure you have vent installed and running. Matsar grab a new microphone by then.

If there are any extra copies floating around for free I’d take one. I never really play racing games so I’m curious about this game but too cheap to break out my wallet. Shame I’ve already given away everything from the Valve Complete pack or I’d offer them for trade.

Anyway if anyone is willing to gift Darkhold

Check it out. :cool:

Just bought it on Steam.

Add me on steam (senorbeef) and you can join the game we’ve got going.

It’s still downloading. It’s at 48%