The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 04-12-2011, 04:53 PM

You don't like it, you be the Brownie leader!

I'm a leader for my daughter's Brownie troop. Other than my co-leader and I, the other parents do pretty much NOTHING for the troop. We plan all the meetings, outings, etc.

That's OK -- even though it's more work than advertised, my daughter and the girls really have a good time.

Our girls decided to use the money they earned from cookie sales for a Spa day -- not what I would have chosen (I wanted to go to a museum) but they voted and that's what they decided. Part of Girl Scouts is letting the girls decide things.

Well, one of the moms is APPALLED that they voted to use their money that way. She thinks it's totally against the Girl Scout ideals of community service and camping and blah blah blah. Plus it's way too much money!!!!! Plus her daughter doesn't want to do it but was coerced (bullshit). She just sent out a lengthy email to complain. Btw, the email includes the fact that her daughter sold more cookies than anyone else (sales proceeds are for the entire troop, not for each girl to decide).

Look, I'm not thrilled about it either (and it was my daughter's idea!). But we let them vote and that's what they came up with.

So if you don't like it, BITCH, you can volunteer to be the leader. Otherwise, STFU.

Whew -- I feel better already.

Last edited by boozilu; 04-12-2011 at 04:54 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 04-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Well, now you're going to have to let us know how it turns out. Hopefully explaining it the way you explained it here will get her to understand. Even if her daughter was coerced, would her vote have changed the outcome? Besides, is this mom suggesting the entire group should do what SHE wants to do instead of what the majority voted on?

ETA, I'd leave out the stuff about you not being to thrilled about it either. You want to leave emotion out of it. Lay out the facts and tell her to bugger off.

Last edited by Joey P; 04-12-2011 at 05:04 PM..
Old 04-12-2011, 05:05 PM

How old are Girl Scouts? Are kids even allowed in most spas? If they are old enough to go to the steam rooms and saunas, get the girls to research the long, rich and varied histories of both in tons of different cultures, from Native American sweat lodges to Turkish Hammams. Not to ruin their good time, but to shut this woman up.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

So, if we buy Girl Scout Cookies, what we're supporting is little girls having spa days?
Old 04-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
So, if we buy Girl Scout Cookies, what we're supporting is little girls having spa days?
No. We're supporting spas having little girl days... someone outta call Chris Hansen...
Old 04-12-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
If the girls choose that as their reward, yes. As well as supporting all of the programs, camps and troop activities the girls do throughout the year.

What I'd argue to the bitchy other mom is that part of growing up is learning how to navigate and negotiate your own position within larger groups. Her daughter had an opportunity to convince the troop to choose some other activity, and didn't prevail, assuming she tried.

Part of growing up is also going along with activities you didn't personally choose or vote for or whatever. Maybe she'll love it. Maybe she'll hate it. Either way, it's a chance to expand her horizons a little.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Fight View Post
How old are Girl Scouts? Are kids even allowed in most spas? If they are old enough to go to the steam rooms and saunas, get the girls to research the long, rich and varied histories of both in tons of different cultures, from Native American sweat lodges to Turkish Hammams. Not to ruin their good time, but to shut this woman up.
Spa day could also be the hot tub at someone's house and then taking turns giving each other massages and painting their nails.

Last edited by Joey P; 04-12-2011 at 05:52 PM..
Old 04-12-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
No, we are supporting girls in what they choose to do.

I was a Girl Scout leader for 12 years. Like the OP I wouldn't be thrilled about a spa day, but I am sure there is some creative way to tie it in with a Try-it (are the Brownie level badges still even called try-its?).
For the complaining mom do what I did when I was a leader. Mark a envelop "complaints" and put applications to become a leader inside it. Give it to her telling her it is a complaint form for her to fill out. She'll be quiet once she sees whats inside.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded_Goddess View Post
For the complaining mom do what I did when I was a leader. Mark a envelop "complaints" and put applications to become a leader inside it. Give it to her telling her it is a complaint form for her to fill out. She'll be quiet once she sees whats inside.
Oh, that idea is just sublime!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozilu View Post
I'm a leader for my daughter's Brownie troop. Other than my co-leader and I, the other parents do pretty much NOTHING for the troop.
While I find that somehow hard to believe, (another "I do all the work" posts) not everyone has the free time that you have to do all this, which is why you are the leader, and they are not. And, part of being a "leader" is listening to the opinions of others, many of which might not agree with your own, even if that person doesn't have all the free time you seem to have to be in that volunteer leadership position.

Quote:
That's OK -- even though it's more work than advertised, my daughter and the girls really have a good time.

Our girls decided to use the money they earned from cookie sales for a Spa day -- not what I would have chosen (I wanted to go to a museum) but they voted and that's what they decided.
I too, find the idea of little girls attending a "spa" a little odd. If you pull up to the spa, and it says Dae-Kim's Happy Ending Message, here's my advice: turn around, and do not go in.

Quote:
Part of Girl Scouts is letting the girls decide things.
Is it always a good idea to allow 5 year olds to "decide" on things? What if they decided to take a trip to Libya? Maybe once in a while, it's not a bad idea for Mommy and Daddy to step in say, why don't you pick something else, ladies?

Quote:
Well, one of the moms is APPALLED that they voted to use their money that way. She thinks it's totally against the Girl Scout ideals of community service and camping and blah blah blah.
Wait a minute. In other words, the money that I spend to buy those crappy, way overpriced, stale girl scout cookies that annoying parents at work are always hitting me up for is supposed to go to help the community, or for educational or outdoor activities and not going to a spa? And community service and camping activities, to you, are "blah blah blah" and you are a Brownie leader????? I have to agree with the other parent here.

Quote:
Plus it's way too much money!!!!!
There, I disagree with the parent. It's not too much money--- it's a WASTE of money.

Quote:
Plus her daughter doesn't want to do it but was coerced (bullshit).
Sounds like she's the only girl with either a brain or good parenting in the group. Maybe that girl, not you, should be Brownie leader.

Quote:
She just sent out a lengthy email to complain. Btw, the email includes the fact that her daughter sold more cookies than anyone else (sales proceeds are for the entire troop, not for each girl to decide).
Maybe, but clearly, she put in the most effort begging and annoying adults for money, and I am sure is disappointed to see her efforts go to nigh thanks to the other slackers in her troop.

Quote:
Look, I'm not thrilled about it either (and it was my daughter's idea!).
Ah-HAAAA, now we get to the core issue here. Because it was your daughter's dumb idea, you feel this other parent is attacking HER. I bet if one of the other Brownies came up with this idea, and the other girls voted for it, you would have stepped in and suggested a more appropriate use for the money, isn't that right? And maybe AGREED with the other parent who sent the email.

Come clean.

Quote:
So if you don't like it, BITCH, you can volunteer to be the leader. Otherwise, STFU.
For once, we agree on something, it sounds like there is a leadership vacuum in this troop, and she SHOULD volunteer to take your position.

Of course, I find the contention that just because someone else has other things to do and not as much free time to be the busybody you are, they are not entitled to express their disagreement with how someone else is running an activity that their child is involved with, and obviously put more time in than any of the other girls, to be a bit self-serving.

My ruling is that you are right: you should step down, and allow someone more competent to take over this rabble.

Quote:
Whew -- I feel better already.
You wont after reading this post.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post

What a self righteous little fucktard you are. Go away. Big people are talking here.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
What a self righteous little fucktard you are. Go away. Big people are talking here.
Make me go away.

The only "big" thing I see talking here is a Big Idiot, which you are.

Quote:
While I find that somehow hard to believe, (another "I do all the work" posts) not everyone has the free time that you have to do all this, which is why you are the leader, and they are not. And, part of being a "leader" is listening to the opinions of others, many of which might not agree with your own, even if that person doesn't have all the free time you seem to have to be in that volunteer leadership position.

I too, find the idea of little girls attending a "spa" a little odd. If you pull up to the spa, and it says Dae-Kim's Happy Ending Message, here's my advice: turn around, and do not go in.

Is it always a good idea to allow 5 year olds to "decide" on things? What if they decided to take a trip to Libya? Maybe once in a while, it's not a bad idea for Mommy and Daddy to step in say, why don't you pick something else, ladies?

Wait a minute. In other words, the money that I spend to buy those crappy, way overpriced, stale girl scout cookies that annoying parents at work are always hitting me up for is supposed to go to help the community, or for educational or outdoor activities and not going to a spa? And community service and camping activities, to you, are "blah blah blah" and you are a Brownie leader????? I have to agree with the other parent here.

There, I disagree with the parent. It's not too much money--- it's a WASTE of money.

Sounds like she's the only girl with either a brain or good parenting in the group. Maybe that girl, not you, should be Brownie leader.

Maybe, but clearly, she put in the most effort begging and annoying adults for money, and I am sure is disappointed to see her efforts go to nigh thanks to the other slackers in her troop.

Ah-HAAAA, now we get to the core issue here. Because it was your daughter's dumb idea, you feel this other parent is attacking HER. I bet if one of the other Brownies came up with this idea, and the other girls voted for it, you would have stepped in and suggested a more appropriate use for the money, isn't that right? And maybe AGREED with the other parent who sent the email.

Come clean.

For once, we agree on something, it sounds like there is a leadership vacuum in this troop, and she SHOULD volunteer to take your position.

Of course, I find the contention that just because someone else has other things to do and not as much free time to be the busybody you are, they are not entitled to express their disagreement with how someone else is running an activity that their child is involved with, and obviously put more time in than any of the other girls, to be a bit self-serving.

My ruling is that you are right: you should step down, and allow someone more competent to take over this rabble.

Did somebody get teased at their last Brownie meeting?

Fucking relax, El Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveroptic View Post
Oh, that idea is just sublime!
You got that right.

If I every really need to deal with asshole in real life, its nice to know I've got the clever people at the dope to turn to for advice.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Is it always a good idea to allow 5 year olds to "decide" on things? What if they decided to take a trip to Libya? Maybe once in a while, it's not a bad idea for Mommy and Daddy to step in say, why don't you pick something else, ladies.
You are a moron. Little girls wanting to get their nails done is the same as allowing them to go to Libya? Does the pain of that stupidity eventually dull, or do you always feel it sharply in your brain?
Old 04-12-2011, 07:10 PM

I dunno. If my daughter's troop decided to use their cookie money to do a Spa day (really?), you bet I would be raising hell too, and looking around for another troop to put her in. That should have been vetoed as soon as it was raised.

Spa day. What the fuck is a SEVEN YEAR OLD going to do with a fucking spa day? Like they aren't taught to place way too much emphasis on their appearance soon enough. From the GSA website:

Quote:
Girl Scouts Brownies work together, earn Girl Scout Brownie Awards, and explore their community. Friendship, fun, and age-appropriate activities begin at the Girl Scout Brownie meeting and move out to the community and wider world.
In what way is going to a spa age-appropriate? How is it "working together"?

Jesus Christ.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfoxfyre View Post
You are a moron. Little girls wanting to get their nails done is the same as allowing them to go to Libya? Does the pain of that stupidity eventually dull, or do you always feel it sharply in your brain?
HOY HOY HOY, that was so clever. Obviously, the only one dull here is you, since you missed the entire point of that statement.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
HOY HOY HOY, that was so clever. Obviously, the only one dull here is you, since you missed the entire point of that statement.
Yes, how dull of me.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie the Ocelot View Post
I dunno. If my daughter's troop decided to use their cookie money to do a Spa day (really?), you bet I would be raising hell too, and looking around for another troop to put her in. That should have been vetoed as soon as it was raised.

Spa day. What the fuck is a SEVEN YEAR OLD going to do with a fucking spa day? Like they aren't taught to place way too much emphasis on their appearance soon enough. From the GSA website:

Jesus Christ.
Hey boozilu, can you PM this poster you mailing address so she can send her resume to be Troop Leader?
Old 04-12-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:

You seem a little tense, might I recommend a Spa day? Maybe they can pull that stick out of your ass.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExVoxMachina View Post
You seem a little tense, might I recommend a Spa day? Maybe they can pull that stick out of your ass.
Leave your homoerotic fantasies off this Board, please.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:24 PM

I've been a troop leader, thanks, even though I don't have any kids. I did it because I believe in the Girl Scouts, the goals they have, and the lessons they teach. It is hard work, don't get me wrong. But as the adult in charge, you should have either vetoed or discouraged away the option of a spa day. It is fucking ridiculous.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

El Presidente, you seem to have confused being unpopular with being right.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I've been a troop leader, thanks, even though I don't have any kids. I did it because I believe in the Girl Scouts, the goals they have, and the lessons they teach. It is hard work, don't get me wrong. But as the adult in charge, you should have either vetoed or discouraged away the option of a spa day. It is fucking ridiculous.
Maybe not the best thing they could do with their money, but I see potential to make it a learning experience. The girls VOTED to have a spa day with their money. As a leader I would make them help research how much it was going to cost, make a budget, and stick to it. Lessons about hygiene could be tied in with it as well as a lesson in self esteem. In my troop, for every enjoyable thing the girls did, there had to be a community service component to it as well. Perhaps the girls could put together age appropriate bags of beauty/hygiene items to donate to a local womens and childrens shelter. A spa day is not the end of the world.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:

Jesus Christ.
You sound poor.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:29 PM

Forevermore, whenever I read a post by Rand Rover, I will hear in my head the voice of Thurston Howell, III. Thanks for that.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:02 PM

I guess if the kids VOTED to spend their money in a shallow and absurd way, this should be supported. Because part of being in the Girl Scouts is letting the girls decide things.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:18 PM

a

Quote:
Since you were a troop leader you should know it is GSUSA not GSA. Also you should know that Girl Scouting is not just about camping, crafts, and cookies. A spa day can fit into badge work. It might not be the deepest of subject, but a good leader could expand on it and make it so the girls do learn something (as stated in my previous post).
Ideally the girls should have voted on what to do with their cookie profits before the sale, but I cannot see how a having a spa day makes it a bad troop.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:20 PM

I don't have an issue about a "spa day" for the girls. It's a
"girly" and "in" thing to do these days.

I did not enjoy being troop leader for exactly the issues stated- the leader does a lot of work (it can be a part-time but unpaid job) and then gets little help and lots of advice on how you could have done the whole thing better during or after the activity. Not cool. We wound up dropping the whole thing.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:28 PM

Wow, what a variety of responses! At first I was looking just to bitch, but now I'm working on formulating my response.

We told the girls that they could have 60% of the money and decide how they wanted to spend it. They voted to send 5% to a charity and the remaining 35% would be for a summer activity (like camping). The girls are 8, so we didn't think it would be too much work to ask them to investigate ways to spend the money. Other ideas included Hershey Park (way too expensive), Build-a-Bear (the complaining mom's daughter's idea), ice-cream party, shopping spree at Toys R Us, and a few museum trips. My daughter suggested the Spa day -- it's a party where they do nails, hair, and "light make-up" with music, dancing, and games at a kids' haircut place. Based upon the response of the other girls, it was something they all wished they could do.

(Also, the parents were sent the list of "possibles" a few weeks before our deciding meeting. If any had been a problem, they should have voiced their concerns then).

For the record, our troop does do community service. We gave 30 boxes of cookies to the local children's hospital and we also have done cards and gifts for the kids at the hospital. We sent care packages to troops overseas and made chew toys for the local humane society. We'll be doing a creek clean-up later this month. The community-service ideas happen to cost very little money; the cookie money is supposed to be a treat for them.

Other troops in the area are going on a shopping spree or day-trip to a neighboring city.

Thanks to all for the comments (supporting and non-supporting). I like Jaded Goddess' idea of putting together hygiene care packages for a local women's shelter.

Much obliged.

Edited to add that I don't feel it's an attack on my daughter (since it was her idea). I personally hated the idea but she did all the research and presentation to the other girls herself. I definitely feel it's an attack on me and my co-leader, who are volunteers and have pretty much received zero help or thanks from the other parents. But that's OK -- we're doing it for the girls. It just sucks to be attacked.

Last edited by boozilu; 04-12-2011 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: just because
Old 04-12-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca3799 View Post
I don't have an issue about a "spa day" for the girls. It's a
"girly" and "in" thing to do these days.

I did not enjoy being troop leader for exactly the issues stated- the leader does a lot of work (it can be a part-time but unpaid job) and then gets little help and lots of advice on how you could have done the whole thing better during or after the activity. Not cool. We wound up dropping the whole thing.
Exactly. Often it is the troop leader doing most of the work. There are many things parents can do to help the troop. Baby sit for the leader and co-leader while meetings are going on. Offer to teach a skill or craft to the troop. Be a carpool driver on an outing. Send snacks. Do some of the calling or emailing to other parents. Write the troop newsletter. Be the "cookie chair" and run the troop cookie sale. The list goes on. I always liked to hear concerns and advice from troop parents, but when they did nothing to help out, it got old. Often the ones to complain the loudest were using it as free baby-sitting (and very often late to pick up their daughter).
Old 04-12-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Wow, what a variety of responses! At first I was looking just to bitch, but now I'm working on formulating my response.

We told the girls that they could have 60% of the money and decide how they wanted to spend it. They voted to send 5% to a charity and the remaining 35% would be for a summer activity (like camping). The girls are 8, so we didn't think it would be too much work to ask them to investigate ways to spend the money. Other ideas included Hershey Park (way too expensive), Build-a-Bear (the complaining mom's daughter's idea), ice-cream party, shopping spree at Toys R Us, and a few museum trips. My daughter suggested the Spa day -- it's a party where they do nails, hair, and "light make-up" with music, dancing, and games at a kids' haircut place. Based upon the response of the other girls, it was something they all wished they could do.

(Also, the parents were sent the list of "possibles" a few weeks before our deciding meeting. If any had been a problem, they should have voiced their concerns then).

For the record, our troop does do community service. We gave 30 boxes of cookies to the local children's hospital and we also have done cards and gifts for the kids at the hospital. We sent care packages to troops overseas and made chew toys for the local humane society. We'll be doing a creek clean-up later this month. The community-service ideas happen to cost very little money; the cookie money is supposed to be a treat for them.

Other troops in the area are going on a shopping spree or day-trip to a neighboring city.

Thanks to all for the comments (supporting and non-supporting). I like Jaded Goddess' idea of putting together hygiene care packages for a local women's shelter.

Much obliged.

Edited to add that I don't feel it's an attack on my daughter (since it was her idea). I personally hated the idea but she did all the research and presentation to the other girls herself. I definitely feel it's an attack on me and my co-leader, who are volunteers and have pretty much received zero help or thanks from the other parents. But that's OK -- we're doing it for the girls. It just sucks to be attacked.
It sounds like your troop is well balanced. How does complaining mom think over-priced Build a Bear is any better than a spa day? I'd ignore her and let her complain to council.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I stand in awe of your evil brilliance!
Old 04-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
How does complaining mom think over-priced Build a Bear is any better than a spa day?
Yeah. Build-a-bear? I should think that would put to rest the complainers in the thread.

Frankly, I don't think that Cat Fight's idea is bad at all. Let them look at the history of spas, and maybe get a merit badge for history from it.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Leave your homoerotic fantasies off this Board, please.
But I like posting my homoerotic fantasies, almost as much as you appear to like posting drivel.

That stick just getting more stuck?
Old 04-12-2011, 10:22 PM

"You know, hugging would be good too. Yeah, that's right. Now rub his back. Yeah, that's good. You like that, don't you? It's OK to like it. Now smell his hair a little."

Last edited by Darth Nader; 04-12-2011 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: Let's not discuss the stick.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I apologize for the possibly snarky tone of my earlier remark. I found the juxtaposition of Brownies selling Girl Scout Cookies and using the proceeds to go to a day spa oddly incongruous (though somewhat less so now that the OP has clarified it's at a "kids' haircut place"). Mostly I was (and still am, though less so thanks to Post #30) ignorant about what happens to the money earned from selling Girl Scout cookies.

And, being ignorant (of young girls as well as Girl Scouting), I am in no position to attack or defend this particular use of the money. But I do commend the OP for her leadership, with all the hard work and crap-putting-up-with the job entails.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:59 PM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

Man, those of you poo-pooing the spa day...YOU try standing outside of Wal Mart week after week, year after year, selling over-priced cookies. Then tell me if you would rather use the money to go to a museum or sit in a hot tub.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:05 PM

Seriously. As a former top cookie salesgirl and the daughter of a woman who was Cookie Chair two years in a row, fuck that shit and let me get my nails did.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But I like posting my homoerotic fantasies, almost as much as you appear to like posting drivel.
It doesn't count as a homoerotic fantasy if you tell somebody to pull the stick out of their ass. It's only homoerotic when you tell them to push the stick in.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
It doesn't count as a homoerotic fantasy if you tell somebody to pull the stick out of their ass. It's only homoerotic when you tell them to push the stick in.
I don't think there's enough room next to his head.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:

That stick just getting more stuck?
O brother.

Anything else brilliant you have to share, or can we all move on with our lives?
Old 04-12-2011, 11:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
I don't think there's enough room next to his head.
Sorry didn't mean to bump heads.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:03 AM

I've always assumed that the money I spend on GS cookies goes to support the troop activities, which are aimed at developing the skills and character of girls. At least they were when my daughter was in it four years ago. They used the money to buy knitting supplies to knit cat blankets for the animal shelter, and to fund a camping trip. Choosing a day spa? What skills are being taught? What character is being developed? Are we located in Beverly Hills here?
Quote:
GSUSA aims to empower girls and to help teach values such as honesty, fairness, courage, compassion, character, sisterhood, confidence, and citizenship through activities including camping, community service, learning first aid, and earning badges by acquiring other practical skills.
Quote:
[Regarding GS Cookies]In some councils, girls may choose to earn more money for their troop instead of prizes, if they are working toward a troop goal such as a trip or other expensive activity. This type of fund raising is intended to teach Girl Scouts valuable skills in planning, teamwork, finance, organization, communication, and goal setting.
I presume that the trip or other expensive activity should be something in keeping with the Girl Scout goals, not to send the little girls to a day spa to get pretty. I would not in all good conscience support buying GS Cookies knowing they'd go to a spa. It just feels wrong.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:12 AM

It does sound like the other mother went about her complaining in a kind of crappy way, despite that I'm opposed to collecting money from people to go to a spa.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:16 AM

I buy girl scout cookies because I like thin mints. I don't particularly care about the money any more than I care whether or not the waitress at Denny's uses my tip to buy blow or diapers. And as someone who has experienced the glory of attempting to sell stuff as a kid, (No one ever wanted cub scout popcorn the way they go gaga for cookies. ) I don't begrudge them a spa day.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:29 AM
Charter Member

The girls did learn some things of value. They learned that you can earn money in order to get some of the things you like in life. And they learned to discuss the options as a group, present their views, and vote of what the group would do.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
The girls did learn some things of value. They learned that you can earn money in order to get some of the things you like in life. And they learned to discuss the options as a group, present their views, and vote of what the group would do.
"Earning" money by selling cookies ostensibly for charity and then using the earnings to go to the spa just doesn't seem honest. So what if they voted on it? The troop leaders should be guiding their decisions. If they had earned the money by letting people know upfront they were raising money to go to the spa, that would be different. What if they voted to use the money to buy themselves jewelry? I dunno, it just sits wrong with me.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:20 AM

Ostensibly for charity? No one has ever told me they were selling girl scout cookies for charity. My sister's troop used the money to pay for workshops they did every Saturday morning. Some workshops were artsy crafty things like making barrettes to put in their hair. Others were more active or community service oriented things. Big whoop. I guess next time someone offers you the sheet, you can interrogate them on the plans for the money and boycott if they don't meet your standards. Me, I'll be buying my tagalongs (and I do mean tagalongs, don't sell me any of this peanut butter patty shit) and enjoying them.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
. . . -- it's a party where they do nails, hair, and "light make-up" with music, dancing, and games at a kids' haircut place. . .
Just repeating this because some folks seem to still be hung up on the word 'spa.' It's not a spa. It's a party with a theme. Learning to throw parties is a very old Girl Scout thing. I wasn't in a troop long, but I remember doing one with a Hawaiian theme. It took planning and work to make the decorations and set up the games and music and nobody afterwards said, "Hawaii? Why are you spending money on Hawaii?"

I'm counting decades, now. That was about forty years ago.