The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 04-13-2011, 03:20 PM

Are there literally people who think Goodfellas is as good as The Godfather

damn kids these days
Advertisements  
Old 04-13-2011, 03:24 PM

I don't just think it's as good as The Godfather, I think it's better. Yeah yeah, taste varies from person to person and all that but really, when I watch the two, the only reason I can think of that people would prefer The Godfather is because it's got more of a reputation as an American classic. If I'd never heard of it before I saw it for the first time I probably would have just shrugged and gone "meh".
Old 04-13-2011, 03:51 PM

I'm a big fan of both, but I give The Godfather credit for establishing the genre that Goodfellas made even more accessible. The same actors in many cases made their way to The Sopranos which even added to the mystique of the American Crime universe.

If there's been anything in the past 10 years to go any further or any better into that whole world, I've missed seeing it. Many riding coat tails, but none improving on these pinnacles of achievement.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Are Yodels as good as bearnaise sauce? I think those two films are at least as good as eachother at achieving what I perceive as different cinematic goals.

I quote from the Godfather more often, but that's not what you asked.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:54 PM

The Godfather is a great movie, I can watch it anytime. When Goodfellas comes on I literally cannot turn off the TV.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:01 PM

The Godfather never felt grounded in reality to me. Everything was a bit too polished and theatrical and somewhat romaticized.
Goodfellas was the grittier of the two and felt like it was set in the real world.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

I'd watch Goodfellas ahead of The Godfather.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

I've only seen Goodfellas once, but I didn't think it was even close to the Godfather(especially part II).
Old 04-13-2011, 07:36 PM

The last time I saw Goodfellas I was blown away at just how good it is. There's not much wrong with that film. I liked the Godfather but I love Goodfellas.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:42 PM

I think it's better but I'm only figuratively a person who thinks that.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:47 PM
BANNED

there are even those who think scarface is better than the godfather.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:49 PM

Godfather has perhaps a better and more deep plot. But the pacing of it is very, very boring at times by the standards of modern movie watchers. I can tolerate this kind of pacing because I grew up watching 70s films by guys like Sam Peckinpah with my dad and I developed a kind of patience for slower paced movies (as long as they're punctuated by tension and shocking scenes.) Even a lot of great action movies like Mad Max are ridiculously slow-moving by today's standards. And not a single TV viewer in America today would be able to sit through an episode of Starsky and Hutch. They just did things much, much slower back then.

Goodfellas doesn't have quite the same plot depth and gravity, and it's also a totally different kind of movie. Goodfellas is narrated in the first person by Henry Hill (Ray Liotta), and narrated in the past tense, which alters the way the viewer will absorb the movie knowing that it is happened in the past vs. "happening right now." This alone is a big deal in determining the feel of the movie. It uses much faster cuts. Lots of random and relatively unimportant (but colorful) characters are constantly introduced, to create a sense of a bustling, hustling active world of the gangster's crime underworld. The pop music of the time was flawlessly woven into the movie's narrative - an excellent technique when used by a Scorsese or a Paul Thomas Anderson, but difficult to pull off.

They're two vastly different movies and I enjoy both of them equally.

Last edited by Argent Towers; 04-13-2011 at 07:51 PM..
Old 04-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

I agree that Godfather is too romanticized. Goodfellas is much more believable by showing how petty, empty, and cruel killers and thieves really are.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddypants View Post
The Godfather is a great movie, I can watch it anytime. When Goodfellas comes on I literally cannot turn off the TV.
I hate that. Each time I say to myself, "I'm not watching this long ass movie again" and next thing I know, I'm looking at Ray Liotta's chicken legs as he bends over to grab his newspaper.

ETA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers
Goodfellas is narrated in the first person by Henry Hill (Ray Liotta)...
Except, when it's being narrated by Henry's wife.

Last edited by Nzinga, Seated; 04-13-2011 at 08:23 PM..
Old 04-13-2011, 08:25 PM

I prefer Goodfellas.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:33 PM

The Godfather is a great movie, but if you were to ask me which I prefer watching, I'd have to say Goodfellas.
Goodfellas, because of its faster pacing, is just a more exciting film, and if I happen to catch it on TV, I can tune if for five minutes or I can tune in for the whole thing and love it just as much.
Don't get me wrong, I love the Godfather, and I'd even go as far as to say that all things considered it's probably the better film. But to watch it, I have to be in just the right mindset, not to mention set aside an entire afternoon for it. It's not the type of movie you can just jump into if you happen to catch it at the halfway mark while flipping through the channels and fully appreciate it.

Last edited by joebuck20; 04-13-2011 at 08:35 PM..
Old 04-13-2011, 08:42 PM
BANNED

a really good movie is a classic; it's appreciated decades after it stopped screening, and no subsequent artistry will diminish its uniqueness and sheer pleasure of watching. the godfather is one such movie. young people used to so-called "quicker" action have all the time to grow and appreciate marlon brando and company (maybe until they can locate palermo on the globe.)

good fellas is a classic in itself, although i'm more impressed by the rat-pack series.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:53 PM

Goodfellas is better.

More realistic.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Goodfellas is a great movie.

The Godfather is one of the three or four greatest movies ever made, and Goodfellas isn't.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:03 PM

Godfather is more about feudalism than Goodfellas. Mobsters are not fabulously wealthy like the Dons in the Godfather were.

Goodfellas is about the stupidity and violence and nihilism and betrayal of the life of crime.

They are different movies. Godfather is a better movie about human nature and the path to hell being paved with good intentions. Goodfellas is about criminals and how crime doesn't pay.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:12 PM
BANNED

The Godfather is arguably a more important movie, culturally. It essentially invented the mob genre and established a romantic mythos for the Mafia. The acting was as good as it gets, and Brando gave one of the most iconic perfortmances of all time.

Having said that, I still find Goodfellas more compulsively watchable, and the acting is just as good - especially Pesci, but DeNiro's performance in that might be a little underrated as well. same with Ray Liotta, for that matter. Henry Hill is such an unsympathetic heel, but for some reason he's still fascinating to watch.

Last edited by Diogenes the Cynic; 04-13-2011 at 10:13 PM..
Old 04-13-2011, 10:18 PM

I like both.
But Joe Pesci's joke scene is the single best scene and performance ever. Period.
Just for that, I vote Goodfellas.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Dismember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estilicon View Post
I like both.
But Joe Pesci's joke scene is the single best scene and performance ever. Period.
Just for that, I vote Goodfellas.
I agree that Pesci's performance in Goodfellas was brilliant, but I don't agree that that scene was his best.

Now g'home and get your fuckin shine box.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:55 AM

I've seen The Godfather once all the way through, and found it unremarkable. Tried to watch it several more timrs, to no avail. Goodfellas is worlds better, IMHO.

Joe
Old 04-14-2011, 02:24 AM

The Godfather was original in its time, but among nearly 40 years of mobster films, it's lost ground to better films. The Goodfellas is one of those. If the Godfather wasn't your first mobster flick, it's likely to prove itself unexceptional.

More often than not, that's the way it works. The person who invented a genre deserves some credit for having made something new, but it's pretty likely that someone else is going to top him, later.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:30 AM
Charter Member

They're different movies for different moods, both remarkable in their own ways. I only saw The Godfather a couple years ago and was completely enthralled by it. I didn't think I was going to like it, especially after seeing Goodfellas and all the mob movies that came after it, and because it's a lonnnng movie (and I tend to nod off if a movie creeps past the two-hour mark), but it proved to be a veritable Shakespearean epic, well deserving of its place in the American cinematic canon.

(And I haven't seen Godfather II yet. I take it that it's supposed to be pretty good, too, eh?)

Last edited by pulykamell; 04-14-2011 at 02:31 AM..
Old 04-14-2011, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Second Stone View Post
Godfather is more about feudalism than Goodfellas.
It's also about the American immigrant experience - taken together with Part 2, I don't think any movie has ever portrayed it as deeply and vividly. My family also immigrated to the U.S. at the turn of the 20th century; my grandfather was also born in a tiny apartment in the lower east side of Manhattan. The story resonates with me.

In fact, I'd say that while Goodfellas is a movie about crime, Godfather is a family saga about a family whose business happens to be crime.

Last edited by Alessan; 04-14-2011 at 03:15 AM..
Old 04-14-2011, 03:45 AM
Charter Member

PSXer, what kind of an answer do you even expect for a question like the one in the OP? Look at the IMDb Top 250 films:

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

The Godfather is at number 2 with an average rating of 9.2 (out of 10). Goodfellas is at 15 with an average rating of 8.7. Now, unless what you're asking is whether the IMDb is a gigantic conspiracy which someone has created purely to promote certain films, then the answer is obvious. Yes, there are very many people who think that Goodfellas is a great film. On the average, most people rate The Godfather as being a little bit better, but for films rated that close, it's clear that there are a lot of people who rate Goodfellas as being better.

What you asked in the OP was whether there was anyone at all who thinks Goodfellas is the better film. It sounds like what you're saying is that you personally don't think that it's better, so you can ignore any objective evidence that there are people who disagree with you, since it's not possible for anyone else's tastes to be different. The answers you're getting in this thread aren't really addressing directly your question (because the question doesn't make much sense). People are just giving their own opinions on the relative merit of the two films. If one looks at the literal meaning of your question though, the answer is obvious. Yes, there are many people who like Goodfellas better.

This doesn't mean that I personally agree with the ratings on the IMDb. My personal ratings are often wildly different. I recognize though that other people exist and they have their own opinions, and I'm not free to act as though they don't exist.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:34 AM

Goodfellas is a better film than the Godfather, its not even close. Everybody knows this.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philster View Post
Goodfellas is better.

More realistic.
better how?
Old 04-14-2011, 05:33 AM

Nothing is as good as Godfather I and II combined, but Goodfellas has a bit of an edge over Godfather I. Scorsese is by far the better director. Godfather indulges in archetypes, the bane of good writing and directing (Men fear Michael and women worship him because the script says they do; Henry Hill has a slightly more believable link to reality). The Godfather romanticizes its dodgy protagonists, while Goodfellas just invites you to look at them, warts and all.

Still, Goodfellas is no epic and The Godfather is. I could go either way in this one.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Godfather invented the mob genre? Impretty sure it had been an established genre fir decades before.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsenray View Post
Godfather invented the mob genre? Impretty sure it had been an established genre fir decades before.
It's like Jimmy Cagney never existed!
Old 04-14-2011, 08:37 AM

I have fond memories of the mammaries of Miichael's first wife in "The Godfather" but I'd rather watch "Goodfellas". But for a gangster film, I'll still take "Each Dawn I Die" with Jimmy Cagney and George Raft. Raft didn't have to do much acting to play a gangster, he was pretty close to being one.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:42 AM

Goodfellas is my second favorite movie of all time (after Tombstone), The Godfather isn’t even in the top ten.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Mob films that were closely patterned after real events and people didn't exist prior to The Godfather. Efforts to portray mob activity before that film were either cartoonish or way off the mark. Puzo wrote about the Vegas mob, the Miami mob and the Havana mob, and about real events, such as the Castro revolution that evicted the mob from Cuba: he just used different names, but people like Meyer Lansky, Luciano, et al, were thinly disguised. That these events and people were dramatized is just good movie making, but I didn't find any of them to be sympathetic characters.

Goodfellas was just pure entertainment, and I enjoy watching it over Godfather, depending on what mood I'm in.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
PSXer, what kind of an answer do you even expect for a question like the one in the OP? Look at the IMDb Top 250 films:

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

The Godfather is at number 2 with an average rating of 9.2 (out of 10). Goodfellas is at 15 with an average rating of 8.7. Now, unless what you're asking is whether the IMDb is a gigantic conspiracy which someone has created purely to promote certain films, then the answer is obvious. Yes, there are very many people who think that Goodfellas is a great film. On the average, most people rate The Godfather as being a little bit better, but for films rated that close, it's clear that there are a lot of people who rate Goodfellas as being better.
Can we all at least agree that it's ridiculous that Shawshank Redemption is above either of them?
Old 04-14-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilTan View Post
Can we all at least agree that it's ridiculous that Shawshank Redemption is above either of them?
I'll join your team! At least Citizen Kane is no longer at (or anywhere near) the top of that list. I don't have SR in my top 20, even though I really like the movie.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
PSXer, what kind of an answer do you even expect for a question like the one in the OP?
I think the question was rhetorical, and he just wanted people to explain why some people seem to believe that. So far, it seems to be working.

BTW, I've never seen either movie, so I have no clue.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
BTW, I've never seen either movie, so I have no clue.
Get out. Get out now.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Goodfellas is a great movie.

The Godfather is one of the three or four greatest movies ever made, and Goodfellas isn't.
I agree with you completely.

I'd also note, however, that a big PART of what makes "Goodfellas" compelling is that its portrayal of the Mafia is so utterly at odds with what we saw in "The Godfather."

A revisionist Western, like Sam Peckinpah's "The Wild Bunch" or Clint Eastwood's "Unforgiven," wouldn't make such a great impression on us if we hadn't already seen and absorbed so many brilliant old-fashioned Hollywood Westerns.

In the same way, if "The Godfather" had never been made, "Goodfellas" would lose much of its power. It worked in large measure BECAUSE "The Godfather" had romanticized Mob life, and Scorsese was giving us a taste of the real thing (which was far meaner, dirtier and uglier).

Last edited by astorian; 04-14-2011 at 11:03 AM..
Old 04-14-2011, 11:14 AM

Peter Griffin chimes in.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketybuck View Post
Goodfellas is a better film than the Godfather, its not even close. Everybody knows this.

Don't ever take sides against the family again.

Last edited by BMalion; 04-14-2011 at 11:18 AM..
Old 04-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Gadaí View Post
One of my favorite Family Guy skits.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:34 PM

I agree with everything everyone said about liking Goodfellas better. I CANNOT stand listening to Marlon Brando speak. Not.at.all.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:18 PM

When I first saw The Godfather (it happened to be playing in a local theater here last year), I thought there was no way it could live up to the hype. Even if it was really good, I didn't think it could live up to its reputation as being so very great. But I saw it, as I felt I had to see it since it was such a classic, and I loved it. Then the next week I watched Godfather II and I loved it too. I thought it was just as good, if not better, than the first. Al Pacino's performance was my favorite, and I liked that in Part II it starts with Michael already being established. I didn't really start to like the first one until Michael made the decision to get into the business and then there is no turning back. So I still think Al Pacino's performance in both films is one of the best I've ever seen.

I don't even remember the first time I watched Goodfellas, but it was on TCM, and although it was late at night I didn't go to sleep because I wanted to finish it. I did like it, I liked it very much. But it just didn't have the same feel to me as The Godfather. I can't explain why I like things; I just do.

I tried to watch The Godfather a second time and found it more boring this time and harder to get through. I can never re-capture the magic feeling I got from the first time I watched it. Goodfellas, while good, didn't have the same effect on me.

So I will admit that Goodfellas is a more fun movie to watch, and that is important to me, but it's not the only criterion.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilTan View Post
Absolutely NOT. It's one of my favorites.

I love both The Godfather and Goodfellas.

The Godfather was an epic story of a crime family. Goodfellas was factual account (at least, according to Henry Hill) of one gangster's rise and fall.

If I had to pick, I would probably go with Goodfellas. But I don't have to
Old 04-15-2011, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

BigT writes:

> I think the question was rhetorical, and he just wanted people to explain why
> some people seem to believe that.

A rhetorical question is a question asked without expecting any sort of answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetorical_question

It is not a question like the one in the OP whose real answer is trivial ("Yes, there is someone somewhere who thinks Goodfellas is as good as The Godfather."), so that instead of answering it, people who hear it will reinterpret it as meaning something else that makes sense ("Why do you think Goodfellas is as good as The Godfather?").
Old 04-15-2011, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Oh well, to put this to bed, last night I watched Casablanca.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Mob films that were closely patterned after real events and people didn't exist prior to The Godfather. Efforts to portray mob activity before that film were either cartoonish or way off the mark. Puzo wrote about the Vegas mob, the Miami mob and the Havana mob, and about real events, such as the Castro revolution that evicted the mob from Cuba: he just used different names, but people like Meyer Lansky, Luciano, et al, were thinly disguised. That these events and people were dramatized is just good movie making, but I didn't find any of them to be sympathetic characters.

Goodfellas was just pure entertainment, and I enjoy watching it over Godfather, depending on what mood I'm in.
The Godfather was a roman a clef about the history of the mob. Goodfellas was a memoir about the Lufthansa Heist, at the time the largest armed theft ever on US soil, and is more strongly rooted in fact than The Godfather was. (Aside: Robert Crumb's father-in-law was involved with this crime.)