Ask the girl who switched to Dvorak keyboard

I’ve been using Dvorak for about a month now. I relabeled my keyboard at home but not at work. I’m at between 15 and 20 wpm (I’m testing at 15, but I think I can do better than that.)

So ask away.

What was your speed on a standard keyboard?

Why did you switch? Typing speed only?

Just for future reference, if you’d typed the OP like this:

Iwe bppn zunlin Wbokap wer paout w motnh nwp.

It would have been hilarious.

Why?

I tried switching a while ago and it didn’t take, but though my Dvorak speed never approached my qwerty speed, I almost immediately noticed that it felt like I was moving my hands around less. Have you noticed that, or any other changes besides (presumably reduced, at this stage) speed?

It was generally between 60 and 70 wpm. I think I hit 75 a couple of times.

Actually it was a number of reasons. It appealed to the geek in me. Yes, I wanted a faster speed. It should be easier on my hands because the movement is more efficient and it’s better balanced between the hands.

:smiley:

For a while my brain kept switching in the middle of words, which was frustrating. The commands are what’s killing me. On my work computer for some reason every time I open a program it reverts to Qwerty, so I’ll have, for example, Excel in Dvorak and Word in Qwerty and it kills me.

Actually what’s the worst is that the command for paste (ctrl-v) and the command for close (ctrl-w) are RIGHT next to each other and I have a horrible time hitting V.

Oh and ‘U,we b…n inunf Hwocak gor axout a month nom’ would be more logical. :smiley:

For those who switched, how old are you? Do you think a near senior who’s been typing on qwerty since 19coughcough70something could do it?

If I recall correctly QWERTY was designed to slow you down so the keys wouldn’t hit each other.
I think trying to switch would be great brain training, but I’ve been dong this for 35 years now, I think it would be cruel to my poor brain as well.

Interesting side note: when I got my iPad I was very surprised to realize that my touch typing (which is not formal, it’s just years of doing it) has really nothing to do with genuine touch, it has to do with position, because I was able to type pretty damn well on the iPad. Still too weird, though, so I got a keyboard.

I’m nearly thirty; I’ve been using qwerty since second grade. I’ve seen quite a few articles from writers who have switched. If you can live with typing slowly for three or four months go for it. Oh and you’d better be able to practice at least a hour a day. I was using a free program called TypeFaster to learn; now I’m mostly just typing when I would usually.

Are you still able to switch back to QWERTY when using other people’s computers/keyboards?

Cecil’s got this.

Was the QWERTY keyboard purposely designed to slow typists?

Yep, no problem.

I’ve seen conflicting reports. Here has a good summary. There’s some good analysis here

I’ll tell you one thing; it feels more efficient and typing is definitely balanced better between the hands. Is it worth changing? shrug I’m enjoying it, at least now that I know where the keys are, but I’m not going to go out and be obnoxious about preaching it as the best.

The best is situation dependent. If you’re enjoying it than it is the best, and quite frankly I think more people should expose themselves to new ways of doing things. It keeps the brain adaptive.

Totally agree.

I switched in high school about 15 years ago.
I was up to my previous typing speed in about two weeks albeit with more typos. Probably up to my previous typing speed in about a month with the same amount of typos.

After having switched for awhile, I couldn’t type Qwerty at all without getting terribly finger confused. Now after many years and having to switch back and forth for various reasons, I can touch-type Qwerty again as well, but it’s like pulling teeth.
I find Dvorak much more comfortable.

Not one of Cecil’s better efforts.

Can you play the New World Symphony on it?

(man that is nerdy even for me)

If you’d gone with one of those one-handed court stenographer keyboards instead, you could make a Capitan Kirk chair with the keyboard on one armrest and a trackball on the other . . .

I’ve got a fever and can’t come up with a good ‘one handed typing’ joke. Let’s just pretend I have.

After 30 some years of QWERTY, I found myself having to use QWERTZ for the past year at work. Further complicating things, my personal laptop is QWERTY. So for a year I have switched back and forth between the two almost daily. It was a struggle at first, but is almost second nature now. The instant I see a ‘y’ or ‘z’ on the screen when the opposite was intended, the brain seems to make the switch and settle in.

Getting past the initial awkwardness and using it long enough for it to feel natural was the challenge.

I’d imagine DVORAK would be a similar experience.