What kind of eel is this? (Is it even a real animal?)

This friendly chap. See? He’s smiling. He likes you.

At least, I’m assuming it’s a real thing and not from some movie or something. It looks kinda freaky but not obviously impossible and, well, once you’ve internalized the fact the anglerfish is a real animal, you become much more willing to accept weirdness from the deep blue.

If it is fake, it’d be interesting to find out where the image is from.

Well, I reckon it’s a moray eel that is either mutated, or is a very rare species.

I’m going to go with a green moray which has unusually short jaws, either through injury, disease or mutation.

When you dive in the sea
and a thing looks quizzically
that’s a moray

I’d say it’s a real eel but photoshopped. The angle of the head to the body and the extreme verticality of the body after the bend just look wrong, and the head itself is all kinds of weird. There ARE short-snouted morays (there is (or was) one in the Audubon Aquarium in New Orleans), but the combination of all the things I mentioned just screams “Photoshop!”

threatens EvilTOJ with a severe…something

Diving in the sea,
I see something quizzical.
Must be a moray.

There, I fixed it for you! :slight_smile:

When a thing in the sea
Looks at you quizzic’ly
That’s a moray…

Can I play, too?

If it hides in a reef
And it has lots of teeth
That’s a moray …

It’s Cecil, the Seasick Sea Serpent!

OK, all that makes sense. I didn’t get it from a place known for rigorous checking as to image origin or veracity (Reddit - Dive into anything), so Photoshop is a distinct possibility, but something else could be plausible as well.

When it writhes on a pole,
It’s not Dover sole,
It’s a moray…

It really is a moray eel. I’ve seen that picture before, the eel looks weird because the face is viewed at almost completely head on. It’s bent at about a third of the way up it’s body and is facing the camera head on. The black dent is a … OK I don’t know what it is. Here’s another angle of a moray. And another who’s SO HAPPY to see you!
when you look down the maws
and you see pharyngeal jaws
that’s a moray

*What kind of eel am I
Who’s peering out at you?
It seems that I’m not recognised
From this point of view

What kind of fish is this?
A moray eel?
A sea serpent that which
My kind you cannot tell?*

I wonder if EvilTOJ may have pegged it. While it is odd looking, I’m thinking it’s just foreshortened by having the camera directly in front of the eel.

He definitely did. Foreshortening.

My guess is its an aquarium with curved glass, distorting the moray image.

Otara

Are you sure it was screaming? Maybe it was shrieking.

That second one looks like it wants to sell you a car.

No fair, new verse pattern. Plus no love by Deano.