Strange man approached my mom

my mom was sitting outside on the front porch and a strange man approached her and apparently asked her to “party” with him. she ran inside, locked the door and called the cops.

not two nights ago, she told me about a guy she saw walking down our street also while she was sitting outside who kind of gave her the creeps. she’s not sure if it was the same guy or not. could be a coincidence, but it makes me wonder.

it’s not unusual for people to walk down our street. we live in a very residential area, and people walk their dogs or jog and whatnot, but we usually recognize them as from the neighborhood.

it’s a safe neighborhood. this kind of thing definitely is not the norm. she’s already talked to the neighbors and told them, so they’re aware. i’m thinking of going to get a baseball bat and mace. to add to the fun, i’m at work and trying to deal with this from here. i asked her if she needed me to come home, but she insisted she was fine.

i am a little freaked out. in case that wasn’t clear.

Probably not as freaked out as the guy is … what did the cops say?

Doesn’t seem like that big a deal to me. While not the classiest question in the world, he didn’t break any laws or deserve having the police called on him.

Apropos of nothin I have an image now of a new super hero/villain: Strange Man

I reckon Strange Man would have a battered black leather cape, maybe tie-dyed jeans and a white dress shirt with a loud purple tie. Not sure what his superpowers would be…maybe he exudes a level of creepiness that subdues his foes with heebie jeebies?

Or maybe his specializes in getting some strange with random ladies in the hood?

Most guys who do this are mental cases or drug addicts who are high on something, in many cases it’s both. They will say any kind of crazy shit.

Tell your mother to dial back her hotness.

No reason it has to be either/or, is there?

Her mother probably just looked bored, and the man wanted to cheer her up with a party. So she called the police.

Just out of curiosity, when someone asks this question, what are they asking? Are they offering you drugs? Inquiring if you have drugs to share? Alcohol? Soliciting sex? I assume it’s drugs, if so is it a specific kind of drugs?

I once had a guy asked me if I party, and I couldn’t determine from the context* what he meant. I replied with “I like to go to parties, they’re fun.” which I hoped was oblivious enough to let him know that whatever he wanted, I wasn’t interested. It worked, fwiw.
*he had picked me up hitchiking, and was chatting with me as he drove. Yes, I was young and stupid.

It usually means drugs of some sort. If someone said that to my mom I’d wonder what sort of vibe she was giving off!

How old was the guy in relation to your mum? I would say he was simply looking to have your mother supply him with some drugs for little to no cost.

Or even more remotely he could be some sort of undercover law enforcement official. My sister was an FBI agent and she would tell me, she would see her fellow agents all over Chicago posing in various forms, from barflies to homeless people. Not likely, but it has been known to happen

Expectopatronum’s mom on the porch

This is just a ‘your mom’ joke, right? I’m assuming you know that hotness doesn’t cause harassment.

Anyway calling the cops was almost certainly the right solution. If the person was on drugs or mentally ill, they were probably lost and needed help anyway.

You don’t think pretty girls are sexually harrassed more than the homely ones?

That’s my kind of party.

nice, ** astro **. :slight_smile:
i am not sure what the guy meant by party. the thing is (she just told me this after i got home) he didn’t appear strung out or homeless or otherwise crazy. he was a clean cut, attractive, 30s-40s guy, and if he had simply waved or nodded at her she wouldn’t have thought twice about it. but he was riding a bike, rode past the house, stopped when he saw my mom, turned around, and then approached her.

i may be making too much of it, but we all know the stats for blandly attractive clean cut white 30ish males, right? i’m very protective of my mom, and while i don’t underestimate her, she’s kind of small and wouldn’t be able to defend herself physically if it came to that.

IMHO, it means ‘party’ drugs (cocaine, maybe meth) and the lack of inhibitions/condoms they encourage.

Sounds like he just wanted to get a rise out of a nice lady. Probably not specifically targeting your mom, or likely to hang around the neighborhood much more. Hopefully. Just a mobile phone could be a good idea, in this case. Pretending to be on it if she sees the guy, or to get a call if he approaches, or to have a cemra function, means there is a potential ‘witness.’

My guess is that the man was asking if you mother wanted to kick it with him. That’s pretty standard language among some. If the man is 40 and riding a bike, he may not have a car or license. The concept here is that if you ask enough women, someone somewhere will want to “party.”

yeah, i’m sure he wasn’t specifically targeting her, she just happened to be out when he rode by. likely just an isolated incident, but it creeped me out.

A lot of them get it worse.

Just curious, but how old is your mom?