The word "crudités"

Do you know it? Do you think it’s a common word?

Question arose fromthis thread.

It would be helpful if voters could post their location or rather, where in the world the term is commonly used.

Poll to follow.

Ohio. Have only heard the word used in conversation maybe once or twice, but knew what it was from reading.

It’s one of those words I’m familiar with from reading it in print in various books. I don’t think I’ve ever heard it used aloud in conversation in my entire life, and I would feel like a pretentious ass if I did so myself. (From Virginia)

Iowa. Martha Stewart is the only person I’ve heard say it.

Western NY. Common enough. Not an every day word, since the topic of raw vegetables doesn’t come up that often, but hardly noteworthy when it does.

Central Indiana. I know what it means, but I don’t use it or hear it. We just say “vegetables and dip”.

California. I don’t know how it got into my vocabulary but I’ve never heard it used.

Never heard it before.

I’ve never seen it before and I don’t think I’m a slouch in the vocab department. It must be a regional thing but I’m from MN.

Doesn’t rhyme with luddite.

Never heard the word used IRL. I don’t watch Food Network (except for Alton Brown, is he on FN?), so I don’t think I’ve ever actually heard it used at all.

I do read some foodie mags, so I’ve seen it, but I always have to think for a couple minutes to remember what it means.

If someone said it to me in conversation, I’d likely be staring at them blankly for a few minutes while I crunched through trying to remember/figure out what they were talking about.

Oklahoma. We call 'em “veggie trays” here.

I read it for the first time a few minutes ago in another thread. Still don’t know what it means.

Option 5, of course:

I know it, I know it means different things for different people, I know half the time I see it misused. In France the meaning is quite consistant thank Epicurus, in the US and Spain I’ve seen it used to mean many different things, some of them holding only a vague relationship to the original meaning.

No, boiled eggs are NOT crudités. Neither are chopped, cooked veggies! How was that line, “it’s better to shut up and look stupid than open your mouth and dispel all doubt”? Something like that.

I’ve seen it plenty of times (I am a cookbook junkie and have been since I was a kid, though we didn’t have cable until about a year ago so I hadn’t seen many celebrity chef-type shows until then). I don’t generally use it in conversation, but wouldn’t necessarily think someone who did was pretentious.

I am in the Chicago area.

All over the country. If you have an interest in cooking (cooking shows, magazines, stores, discussions) it’s as common as “canapes” or "petit fours, " at least. It may be slightly more technical than some other terms, but not highly jargon-y. I think it’s like “mainframe.” Many people sort of know what it is, but can’t really describe it, and it’s a duh kind of word for people who have any experience with computers beyond PCs.

Know it, don’t think it’s common at all. Don’t know why it would be, actually. It’s no more economical than “raw veggies” and does seem a bit pretentious. I don’t know if I see the point in using a word that the people you’re talking to might not know - it just doesn’t work out well for anyone.

I think what’s interesting is how people judge or define the “commonness” of words (option 1 vs option 2). A word you know that you judge to be uncommon another may know and judge it common. It’s an interesting question, I think. What is the criteria?

I added my vote but not my explanation…

I know it but I don’t think it’s common, and I’m from the Cleveland area.

Really wish we knew where the 5 (so far) “I think it’s common” votes are from :frowning:

Midwesterner, living in Chicago suburbs, know what it means but don’t really use it or think it’s a really common word, and big fan of interesting and varied foods. I typically call it “a veggie tray” or “vegetables and dip,” and leave the “raw” part unspoken.

Answered “I know it, I know what it means and I think it’s a common word”

Boston metro area