What to mix with Coconut rum? (minimal citrus, please!)

So, the wife has gotten bored with her vodka and diet cokes, and Captain and diet coke. She doesn’t like a lot of prep… ice in glass, pour booze, add mixer, drink. She’s pretty simple that way.

Last weekend she picked up a bottle of coconut rum and some orange and pineapple juice. Unfortunately, it seems her body doesn’t like citrus the way it did when she was in college, and after just a few drinks she had horrible debilitating stomach pain.

So what else can she try mixing this stuff with? No cranberry juice please, she hates that stuff. Darn it.

Sure it was the citrus? I can imagine that if it tastes like it smells, coconut rum would make my stomach hurt.

I’d just have her go with wine; if citrus bothers her, the VAST majority of cocktails are off limits, because almost every one has lime or sometimes lemon juice.

If it’s not the citrus, or small amounts are ok, I’d think a mojito would be the way to go. Might even work with coconut rum.

2 oz rum
1 oz sugar
1 oz lime juice
1/4 cup mint leaves
4-6 oz soda water

Mash up the sugar and mint leaves (muddle) but don’t reduce them to shreds.
Add the lime juice and rum. Stir to combine.

Add ice, top off with the soda water. Garnish with un-mashed mint leaves.

Schweppes Bitter Lemon, if you can find it.

Iced tea

Did she mix both the orange juice and pineapple juice with the rum? The reason I ask is, I get severe heartburn from pineapple these days, and the last time was when I mixed a little of the juice with Malibu (hey, we were on a catamaran in BVI and we were out of orange juice so the dashing to the store was out of the question). Later, I Googled and it seems that lots of people got a similar reaction from pineapple.

But orange juice doesn’t bother me. And Malibu and orange juice is delicious.

I’m a big fan of Malibu and Dr. Pepper. Could be a nice change-up from the cola.

Malibu and Coke is good, too.

I think Malibu and Fruit Punch (like Hawaiian Punch) was ok.

Anyone try drilling a hole in a coconut, dumping out a splash and then adding a splash?

I love coconut rum, but usually just drink it straight over ice. I’ve had it mixed with Diet Coke, too, which tastes a bit odd at first, but not bad.

If you can find the Jamaican brand Wray and Nephew, it is a lot better than the Bacardi version you see all over the place.

I mix it with gingerale. Easy and yummy. Of course I am willing to admit that flavor combination might not be for everyone

since she liked her drinks with diet coke, how about diet sierra mist? or ginger ale (canada dry or whatever other brand, I prefer Vernors)

They all go well with coconut to me. I love coconut flavor.

I second this. If she already likes run & coke, this is just a step up. Yum.:cool:

Seconding Malibu & Seven-Up (or Sierra Mist). Haven’t tried it with the diet version, but it’s pretty good.

Same here. I can drink oodles and oodles of coconut rum straight up. I find it to be completely un-alcohol tasting and utterly dangerous.

I also like it with Diet Coke.

I don’t know if she’s down for coconut rum straight, but I’ll suggest it. And with the Diet Coke. Who knows, maybe she’ll love it? lol

Thanks for the suggestions folks!

Coconut water (NOT milk).

Do they make diet Yoohoo?

Horchata made of almond milk.

In California if you add goldschlager [yuck] it is called a rice rocket, mainly because it is rice based horchata.

Mangoes!

You can make delightful jello shots using coconut rum and pineapple jello. If the pineapple juice bothered her, it might have been the acidity. Since the jello only has pineapple flavor, no real danger there.