The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 06-28-2011, 12:40 PM

modern day worship of greek gods

Hi, am an avid believer of the 12 greek gods and in particular the god Dionysus, I am struggling to find any groups anywhere or any modern religions that incorporate this..am i totally alone on this one lol
Advertisements  
Old 06-28-2011, 12:44 PM

Reported for forum change.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:46 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Discordianism, and I hereby excommunicate you. Welcome.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Resident Archangel
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisew7186 View Post
Hi, am an avid believer of the 12 greek gods and in particular the god Dionysus, I am struggling to find any groups anywhere or any modern religions that incorporate this..am i totally alone on this one lol
I normally absolutely hate it when people respond with a simple link to Wikipedia, but, in this case. . .Hellenic Polytheistic Reconstructionism is probably a good place to start. Additionally, many people sort of toss the Greek gods into eclectic neopaganism, or even into Wicca (depending, of course, on how broadly you want to define Wicca, which is, putting it mildly, a whole 'nother kettle of wax).

In my (admittedly quite limited and possibly outdated) experience, if you want to be historically accurate, go for the Hellenic Reconstructionism. If you have more of an intuitive feeling, that's probably more generically neopagan. Either way, though, you're not alone.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:51 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Moderating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
Reported for forum change.
Ferrying this one over the River Styx to IMHO.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

I think that Hellenic Polytheistic Reconstructionism might be closer to what the OP is after.

ETA: Beaten by the Angel of the Lord! At least it wasn't by an ordinary mortal

Last edited by Giles; 06-28-2011 at 12:55 PM..
Old 06-28-2011, 01:08 PM

Some forms of paganism, as well as to a degree and arguably the RC saints and especially the arch angels that some pray to. They may be interrelated as the RCC started from a area where the Roman gods (very close to Greek gods) were worshipped and then the RCC invaded pagan lands.

Last edited by kanicbird; 06-28-2011 at 01:09 PM..
Old 06-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
Discordianism, and I hereby excommunicate you. Welcome.
:Sigh:

Yeah, that's lots of help.

I considered making some remark about being an Apollonian and how I'm occasionally annoyed that Dionysus got exalted to major status, but that would look like I'm playing into your hands.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:21 PM

thats great thanks for you help
Old 06-28-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
When was your last hecatomb? You better get on it quick because Dionysus is just getting angrier and angrier...
Old 06-28-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
When was your last hecatomb? You better get on it quick because Dionysus is just getting angrier and angrier...
not for a while..found it hard getting them all in the car to be honest *sigh*
Old 06-28-2011, 01:57 PM

From an experiential and theological point of view, I think I should point out that becoming a follower of Dionysus - especially to the exclusion of the other Gods - is a recipe for disaster. There's a very good reason he's a minor deity - you can't keep that shit up. Wine and festivities and a nice dollop of debauchery are wonderful things, and yes, you'll find a lot of that at neopagan festivals (with lots of people who follow Dionysus and lots of people who don't) but take it too far or stay in that energy too long, and you meet his Shadow sides of addiction and destructive behavior.

Might I interest you in, say, Athena? She's pretty much made of awesome, and a great patron for young women. Or Apollo - who shares the creativity and celebratory aspects of Dionysus with less of the alcohol and rape parts. If they seem too remote, Artemis is a good one to start with. Or even Aphrodite, if sensuality is what you seek (just remember she's the Goddess of Love, not parenthood. She wants you to use a condom and be safe!)

www.witchvox.com has directory listings for local groups, if you're looking for people to work with. I highly suggest it.

Last edited by WhyNot; 06-28-2011 at 01:58 PM..
Old 06-28-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
From an experiential and theological point of view, I think I should point out that becoming a follower of Dionysus - especially to the exclusion of the other Gods - is a recipe for disaster. There's a very good reason he's a minor deity - you can't keep that shit up. Wine and festivities and a nice dollop of debauchery are wonderful things, and yes, you'll find a lot of that at neopagan festivals (with lots of people who follow Dionysus and lots of people who don't) but take it too far or stay in that energy too long, and you meet his Shadow sides of addiction and destructive behavior.

Might I interest you in, say, Athena? She's pretty much made of awesome, and a great patron for young women. Or Apollo - who shares the creativity and celebratory aspects of Dionysus with less of the alcohol and rape parts. If they seem too remote, Artemis is a good one to start with. Or even Aphrodite, if sensuality is what you seek (just remember she's the Goddess of Love, not parenthood. She wants you to use a condom and be safe!)

www.witchvox.com has directory listings for local groups, if you're looking for people to work with. I highly suggest it.
thats brilliant, thanks for your help,I'll have a mull over it all, just pleased am not the only one
Old 06-28-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Or even Aphrodite, if sensuality is what you seek (just remember she's the Goddess of Love, not parenthood. She wants you to use a condom and be safe!)
Her Roman version of Venus was worshiped in one form, as Venus Genetrix as a goddess of motherhood and mother of the Roman Empire, though
Old 06-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Out of curiosity, do you actually believe in the existence of those gods, or is it more symbolic?
Old 06-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Who are the twelve Greek gods in your version? I first learned:

Zeus
Poseidon
Hades
Hera
Hephaestus
Aphrodite
Hermes
Apollo
Athena
Ares
Artemis
Hestia

So no Dionysus. That's not to say he didn't exist; he just wasn't one of the twelve. I've read other sources that reckon the pantheon differently and do include Dionysus. I'm not sure why Hestia gets in there anyway since there are few stories about her. She only seems to exist so there can be three virgin goddesses, which sounds better than two.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:50 PM

My recollection is that Hestia gave up her seat for Dionysus once he became a permanent deity and just sat by the hearth.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:51 PM

In some versions Dionysus is a demigod rather than a god. Does it make a difference in his worship which you go with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
My recollection is that Hestia gave up her seat for Dionysus once he became a permanent deity and just sat by the hearth.
Eventually they all left his side and sat on the marble steps to the dais turning their back on the god of wine. Some called this "tough love", others the "twelve step program". Either way most of them went back when they thought no one else was looking.

Where do you think priests of Dionysus would stand on meth and cocaine and heroin and other modern drugs? I can see an argument either way- grape purists or 'if it feels good do it'.

Last edited by Sampiro; 06-28-2011 at 02:54 PM..
Old 06-28-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Might I interest you in, say, Athena? She's pretty much made of awesome, and a great patron for young women.
Athena is not pretty much made of awesome. She is simply made of awesome. The rest of the sentence pleases me, though I would point out that men love Her too.

Quote:
Or Apollo - who shares the creativity and celebratory aspects of Dionysus with less of the alcohol and rape parts. If they seem too remote, Artemis is a good one to start with. Or even Aphrodite, if sensuality is what you seek (just remember she's the Goddess of Love, not parenthood. She wants you to use a condom and be safe!)
::glares ::
Old 06-28-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
Out of curiosity, do you actually believe in the existence of those gods, or is it more symbolic?
I genuinely believe in them, actually all of them am just fairly new to this and hes the one i know most about thats all
Old 06-28-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I genuinely believe in them, actually all of them am just fairly new to this and hes the one i know most about thats all
Dude, Mithra totally wipes the cosmos with Dionysus.

Also, Mithra grants swiftness of horses and progeny to those who do not deceive him.

So, eat it, Dionysus.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Amazing View Post
Her Roman version of Venus was worshiped in one form, as Venus Genetrix as a goddess of motherhood and mother of the Roman Empire, though
[stereotype] Well, that avatar is Italian and we know what THEY think about birth control. [/stereotype]
Old 06-28-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orseolo View Post

Also, Mithra grants swiftness of horses and progeny to those who do not deceive him.

So, eat it, Dionysus.
ha lol just looked that up tho and seems to be men only.. anyway wasnt really asking which gods were better than others just whether or not anyone else actually believed in them, pretty cool that they do am much happier now
Old 06-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orseolo View Post

So, eat it, Dionysus.
Don't make me come over there and slap you.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Amazing View Post
True, but not so much in modern day (American) worship of Greek gods, which is what the OP is asking for.

You want a Greek Goddess of Motherhood today and you've got Artemis for childbirth and Hera, Demeter and, at a stretch, Hestia to choose from. (Hestia because of her connections to hearth and home, but I wouldn't choose her to pray to when I want to ground my kids for life.)

denisew7186, no, you're not alone. Just remember to keep your strength and do your research (in books and in prayer and in your own heart). It's really wonderful to find other people to work with and learn from (and teach! Even noobs teach, 'though they may not always know it!), but do remember that we're all human. Even when you find the really awesome folks who believe what you believe and everything is so wonderful and exciting and you finally belong...there will be some assholes there, too. Pagan does not mean perfect.

Last edited by WhyNot; 06-28-2011 at 06:32 PM..
Old 06-28-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Or Apollo - who shares the creativity and celebratory aspects of Dionysus with less of the alcohol and rape parts
You haven't read much Green mythology, have you?
Old 06-28-2011, 06:42 PM
BANNED

Maryanne is that you?
Old 06-28-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Peyote_Coyote View Post
Y'know, I completely forgot about poor Daphne. Um...yeah, forget Apollo. Forget most of the Greek Gods. Horndogs, the lot of 'em! Find yourself a nice Norse....oh, no, wait a sec....Egyptian...no....no... Celtic? Surely not. I'm stumped. Are there any gods that weren't horndogs?

(Is Hephaestus safe for a maiden? I think so, poor cuckolded thing.)
Old 06-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

What about when he tried to rape Athena, but only managed to get in a little dry-humping before he came on her leg? She disgustedly wiped the spooge off and tossed the tissue to the ground, where it fathered Erichthonius.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:08 PM

Denise of course you're not alone. I know plenty of neo pagans who believe in the Greco/Roman pantheon.

We Jews For Cthulhu, now, we're alone.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:09 PM

If you want gods that drink, Norse is better than Greek any time. At least, that's what people who claim to invoke them these days feel!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steophan View Post
If you want gods that drink, Norse is better than Greek any time. At least, that's what people who claim to invoke them these days feel!
This because the Aesir and Vannir had mead. Mead is far better than wine.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Don't make me come over there and slap you.
Was that a satyrical comment?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polycarp View Post
Watch those puns. You might start a panic.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCathode View Post
This because the Aesir and Vannir had mead. Mead is far better than wine.
Ale is better than either. Sadly, us English don't really have any gods of our own, but the Norse are the best to steal.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:18 AM

If you're in the US, check out http://www.hellenion.org/ for a start.
Quote:
"Hellenion is an US-based religious organization ("church") dedicated to the revival and practice of Hellenic polytheism. We approach Hellenic religion from the reconstructionist perspective, which includes both an emphasis on historical precedent and respect for personal spiritual inspiration. We offer local congregations, study opportunities, and fellowship for those who worship the Olympians and the other deities of ancient Greece in a traditional way. "
Big active forum here:
http://hellenismos.us/f/YaBB.pl

And to meet a fellow Dionysos worshipper, you have to check out this guy's blog, if you do not already know him:
http://www.thehouseofvines.com/
Old 06-29-2011, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald the Rhymer View Post
Athena is not pretty much made of awesome. She is simply made of awesome.

Medusa and her sisters would beg to differ.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:43 AM

pffft I forgot all about these guys once they retired to Pollux IV.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polycarp View Post
No, I deserved it, what with all that fauning all over some arcane Persian deity.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
Could you imagine the reaction of PETA to someone buying up 100 cows with the intent of ceremonially slaughtering them, cutting out their thigh bones, wrapping them in 2 layers of fat and having a bonfire to get the smoke up to Olympus?!

Though I suppose the current US modern form of a hecatomb could be interesting - I suppose that you could go to a slaughterhouse, and do the sanctification process, and run the carcasses through the process and donate to various feed the poor charities of the results and make the thighbone parts and haul them off somewhere for the bonfires. The US really is not set up to handle a private hecatomb.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:

(Is Hephaestus safe for a maiden? I think so, poor cuckolded thing.)
I remind you that he tried to rape Athena. Admittedly she kicked his ass without effort, but then, she's Athena and would have done the same thing to Ares. Probably did at some point. Anyway, my point is that none of her siblings, uncles, or male cousins are to be trusted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarTed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald the Rhymer View Post
Athena is not pretty much made of awesome. She is simply made of awesome. The rest of the sentence pleases me, though I would
Medusa and her sisters would beg to differ.
:: works action on shotgun ::

Those bitches had it coming. So did Ariadne. My cite is the fact that they were persecuted chastised by Athena, who, by definition, was in the right.

Last edited by Skald the Rhymer; 06-29-2011 at 01:55 PM..
Old 06-29-2011, 01:54 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
Yeah, that's lots of help.

I considered making some remark about being an Apollonian and how I'm occasionally annoyed that Dionysus got exalted to major status, but that would look like I'm playing into your hands.
I'm not sure what you're saying here. I was telling the OP about the one modern day Greek God-based religion I'm aware of and doing what Discordians are supposed to do when they meet another Discordian, that's all.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Peyote_Coyote View Post
Are those the ones where they carefully pack up the post-rape-and-pillage environmentally-conscious picnic lunch and make sure all of the glassware is separated out into the proper bins?

Or would that be more of the tree-humpin... er, hugging variety? If that's the case, then most assuredly Dionysus would work.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Watch those puns. You might start a panic.
How can he stop something that springs fully formed from his head like that?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:13 PM

Poseidon is the only one of the lot I've actually had any business with.

Imposing dude.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:20 PM

I'm a follower of Vioarr, Norse god of shoemakers and revenge. If he caught some piss-ant goddess like Athena trying to pull some B.S. like rigging a beauty contest he'd plant his giant shoe in her divine ass.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretaryofEvil View Post
I'm a follower of Vioarr, Norse god of shoemakers and revenge. If he caught some piss-ant goddess like Athena trying to pull some B.S. like rigging a beauty contest he'd plant his giant shoe in her divine ass.
The usual threats.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:29 PM

Let's see, when Athena's mother was eaten, did Athena avenge her? No.

After Vioarr's father was eaten, Vioarr successfully avenged him using a giant shoe. Is there even a competition here?
Old 06-30-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretaryofEvil View Post
Let's see, when Athena's mother was eaten, did Athena avenge her? No.
In the first place, as the myths have it, Athena had not yet been born when her mother, Metis, was eaten. Zeus son of Kronos consumed Metis because he came to understand that any son she bore would be greater than his father, and he feared being deposed by his own son as he had deposed Kronos and Kronos had deposed Uranus.

In the second place, the above is only one version of the Goddess's birth. In others she is Zeus's sister, like Hera; I think specifically of Sanchuniethon, whose name I'm pretty sure I just misspelled. She is also sometimes called the daughter of Pallas. I'll link later when I'm feeling less lazy.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderw24 View Post
How can he stop something that springs fully formed from his head like that?
The mother of all migraines. Or was that Hera?