The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

View Poll Results: What should I do about my neighbor's rooster?
Talk to them in person. 23 33.82%
Talk to them in person at 1 AM. 1 1.47%
Leave them a note. 4 5.88%
Call the police. 17 25.00%
.22 round. 15 22.06%
These are all terrible, you should ... 8 11.76%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 08:51 PM

What to do about my neighbor's annoying cock

Yes, I'm having a chicken problem, and need advice. As some of you may know, I work nights and sleep during the day. I live in the city 'burbs in an apartment complex with about 40 units, and they abut up to a property that looks like it's straight out of the sticks. It's a large farmhouse on about an acre, with a large garden, trees and chickens.

Now, I love chickens. I used to have chickens. However, they also have a bloody rooster. They must have had a straight run of chicks this spring because the last two months the bloody thing crows all day for 16 hours. It's very annoying when I'm trying to sleep. They must know it exists, I can hear it with all my windows shut. I want it to stop, and I thought I would ask you, the teeming millions, to give me an idear of what to do. I also looked up the poultry laws for urban farming, they cannot have a rooster within city limits.

I've never talked to these people, or seen them so I don't know what they're like. These are the options I've thought up.

A: Go knock on their door, and ask them politely when they're going to be getting rid of the rooster. Explain that I sleep during the day, and I know I'm not the only one in my building that does so, and their rooster is a noise hazard. Give them the statute that says roosters aren't allowed in the city. Tell them I'd rather deal with them like neighbors instead of calling the police.

B: Same as above, except to do it at 1 AM when THEY are trying to sleep, maybe they'll get the hint.

C: Leave a note stating the above on their door or in their mailbox.

D: call the police and lodge enough noise complaints that they get rid of the rooster. I hate getting The Man involved with anything, but if it'll make them get rid of the noise so I can sleep I'm game.

E: .22 sniper round out my window to the offending poultry.

Now, some of these options I may not take completely seriously, but sleep deprivation makes all kinds of crazy options seem likely.
Advertisements  
Old 08-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

They were there first. Learn to live with it.

StG
Old 08-05-2011, 08:55 PM

I'd say go straight to reporting through the police/municipal ordnances.

They know their rooster crows during the day. They don't give two fucks about it. Going over there and talking to them, you're going to get either blank indifference (So what if you sleep during the day? You can't keep the world silent because you need a nap) or open hostility, and more noise during the day.

This is what noise ordnances, livestock laws and the police/municipal enforcement are there for. Let them deal with it.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:13 PM

The best thing would be to get as many tenants in your building as possible to sign a letter saying that the rooster is causing a noise disturbance. It is better if it is the Entire Building vs. Them than You vs. Them. The letter should cite the relevant laws and look fairly serious.

Put a copy of the signed letter on their door. If there is no change, then make a complaint to the police and, of course, give them a copy of the letter.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:22 PM

F. Use earplugs.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

go to the local Megalomart and get the following....

an axe
a box of Shake-N-Bake
a deep-fat fryer

step 1; "stop" the chicken
step 2 ?
step 3 Profit (a.k.a deep-fry and eat the evidence)

you gain back the ability to sleep in, and a very fresh, free chicken dinner, it's win-win for you....

(just kidding, don't do this...)

Last edited by MacTech; 08-05-2011 at 10:14 PM..
Old 08-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

EvilTOJ Calls the police to investigate disturbing the peace. The police come over and ask what the problem is. EvilTOJ says "It's my neighbor's cock. It keeps me up all night and its all I can think about during the day. His cock is ruining my life". The policeman says, "That's funny, I don't see any cocks around here". EvilTOJ replies, "Well, just climb up on that chair, look out the window like I do and you will get an ear full of it."

Last edited by Shagnasty; 08-05-2011 at 10:23 PM..
Old 08-05-2011, 10:44 PM

Get earplugs. Soundproof your place.

It sounds like the farmhouse might have been there before the apt. complex you live in, and chickens may not be allowed NOW but they might have been grandfathered in.

They aren't legal where I live, but they are legal in the next county, which for me is right across the street. I don't think they have a rooster anymore, but when they had one he would crow at any old time--2 a.m., four a.m., noon. But it seemed to me he was more likely to make noise between 1-5 a.m., when I was sleeping, and mostly didn't bother me any other time.

They are probably not anymore thrilled about your apartment complex than you are about their rooster, and the complex has ruined their property values forever, why should they care if one of its tenants loses sleep?
Old 08-05-2011, 10:53 PM

If it's against an ordinance, it should only take ONE complaint (or a few tickets). Not a bunch. I doubt the cops would kill it or take it away, but they should issue tickets every time they get a complaint about it. Keeping the rooster will become a bad investment and it should disappear shortly. Or they can soundproof the rooster coop (wherever it hangs out).

Last edited by Rachellelogram; 08-05-2011 at 10:53 PM..
Old 08-05-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
I also looked up the poultry laws for urban farming, they cannot have a rooster within city limits.
I don't think I'd bet on this without more research. This made be true code-wise, but if they have been there for some time farming uses (and chickens crowing) are usually grandfathered in as allowed uses if they were there before the code changed or they were incorporated into the city. They may be perfectly within their rights to have a crowing rooster.

If you can get their address and check the tax records online it should show you how long they have been continuously occupying the property.

Last edited by astro; 08-05-2011 at 11:02 PM..
Old 08-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

If you could get over it you will get used to it, believe it or not, until you simply won't hear it anymore.

It's like the snow plow, the first time it comes through your neighbourhood at 2:30 am, you awaken thinking there's a hurricane or earthquake, it's so loud and it seems like the whole house is shaking. But, by the third night you sleep right through it. I used to live beside a parking lot where the snow was being pushed right up to the house effectively. It was remarkably loud, we get lots of big snow falls. After a couple of nights I'd just sleep through it.

The thing is, you can't sleep when you're angry. Ear plugs are a really good place to start, I'd say.

They are unlikely to be giving up the cock and cocks crow, so that's not going to change, is my guess.

Last edited by elbows; 08-05-2011 at 11:26 PM..
Old 08-06-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
If you could get over it you will get used to it, believe it or not, until you simply won't hear it anymore.

It's like the snow plow, the first time it comes through your neighbourhood at 2:30 am, you awaken thinking there's a hurricane or earthquake, it's so loud and it seems like the whole house is shaking. But, by the third night you sleep right through it.
Not everyone works this way, unfortunately. I can't speak for the OP, but I'm hypersensitive to extraneous noise. I used to live in a neighborhood of townhouses with an overpowering HOA that would mow or weedwhack within hearing distance every single weekday at 7am, and it never stopped waking me up.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
A: Go knock on their door, and ask them politely when they're going to be getting rid of the rooster. Explain that I sleep during the day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
Regardless of whether this particular rooster is or isn't technically against the rules, these are the civilized options.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:12 AM

These are only about $30: http://www.bedphones.com/
Old 08-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Do like many a Thai lady has handled an annoying cock: Slice it with a razor. (Lots of farm girls here.)
Old 08-06-2011, 07:24 AM

We live in a fairly noisy, active neighborhood, and my hubby started working nights a few year back. The type of noise we have around here is not anything we can do much about. There is a gas station on the corner, and people pull up all the time with very loud bass stereos in their cars. Thick curtains help filter out some of the outdoor sounds, but the biggest help to my hubby has been a Sleepmate white noise machine. Best fifty bucks we ever spent. Maybe something like that would help.
http://www.amazon.com/Marpac-SleepMa...2633398&sr=8-1
Old 08-06-2011, 09:18 AM

Call the cops; if that doesn't solve it, get an electric fan and leave it blowing on you while you sleep. Add a white noise machine on top of this if you're still waking up.

There is no scenario where these people will willing give up their rooster to suit you. None.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdosain View Post
There is no scenario where these people will willing give up their rooster to suit you. None.
You have no way of knowing that. It's worth EvilTOJ asking, at least. Since he knows something about chickens, he should be able to understand the various reasons that somebody might keep a rooster around. One of those is, "we wanted him to grow bigger before we butcher him." If the bird has been crowing for two months, then depending on breed and other factors it might be two more before he's filled out. There may already be a timetable.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark240 View Post
You have no way of knowing that. It's worth EvilTOJ asking, at least. Since he knows something about chickens, he should be able to understand the various reasons that somebody might keep a rooster around. One of those is, "we wanted him to grow bigger before we butcher him." If the bird has been crowing for two months, then depending on breed and other factors it might be two more before he's filled out. There may already be a timetable.
Right, there may already be a timetable but they aren't going to change it for one tenant in a big apartment building near their house. They know their rooster crows. They aren't going to bend over backwards and kill an animal for a renter.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Talk to the police. Every municipality has laws that guarantee you "the right to quiet enjoyment," and your neighbors are breaking that law. Be it dog, chicken or gorilla, you have to keep your pets quiet.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:59 AM

I've had this problem. You can hear the rooster through earplugs.

I worked shifts at the time, too, so I needed to sleep at various times. It would start when the sun came up, so in the summer it started crowing about 4am.

I complained to council who just wrote them a letter(it wasn't against the law where I was, in the UK) and said I should keep a noise diary. What can be difficult to get across is how mental it makes you feel, hearing this thing crowing all the damn time when you are exhausted, and you can hear it through earplugs, with the windows closed, and a fan going to try to cover it up.

I decided to kill it. I really felt that was the only way to cope. I had three options - shoot it, sneak into their garden and leave the coop open so a fox would get it, or put ground glass in its feed. My grandma told me to use lightbulb glass as it's much finer so won't be detected. Shooting it was out because guns are illegal. Then the owners went on holiday and asked me to feed the chickens while they were away the weekend.

Hmm. Here was the perfect opportunity. But, too obvious. They would know it was me.

Looking back, I should have just discussed it with them. But I was young and stupid.

Anyway complete anticlimax I moved house, further down the road, away from the rooster. It died the following week of natural causes. I revelled in its death.

So in your situation, if they are breaking the law, I say grass them up to the feds immediately. If this doesn't resolve it, kill the rooster, but not with a shotgun as you will get caught.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:10 PM

Be tough on it: choke that cock!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:43 PM

I voted "talk to them in person" but you may be SOL if your state has something like Michigan's Right to Farm Act. I think many states have a version of this act; if yours does you probably don't have a legal leg to stand on. Especially if you're a renter and they're long-term owners. On the other hand, if there are no work-arounds to the city ordinance about not being allowed to have roosters, then yeah: talk to them first, then call The Man.

I'm in Michigan and on the edge of rural/urban - two people in my neighborhood that I know of have chickens and roosters. In fact, I buy eggs from one of them. My township does not allow more than three pets, or "farm animals" but the Right to Farm Act trumps the township as long as the owners comply with state law and general animal husbandry practices.

So, my first reaction to your post was: why on earth rent next to a farm (that from the sounds of it has been there for a long time) if you need to sleep during the day? Animals make noise and smells, farming operations make noise and smells, often during daylight hours. My second thought was: get some type of ear protection so you can get some sleep!
Old 08-06-2011, 01:50 PM

Go talk to your neighbor first, Perhaps it can be resolved without bothering the Police. Contrary to what a few of you believe noise issues need to be handled by code enforcement. One of the biggest waste of times in Law Enforcement is noise complaints. Punk ass Captains and Majors lie and tell people to call 911..but trust me.. i put that shit on the backburner if anything important is going on..
Old 08-06-2011, 02:10 PM

Slap that nasty cock with a spoon. That'll teach it not to rise up so early in the morning.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
EvilTOJ Calls the police to investigate disturbing the peace. The police come over and ask what the problem is. EvilTOJ says "It's my neighbor's cock. It keeps me up all night and its all I can think about during the day. His cock is ruining my life". The policeman says, "That's funny, I don't see any cocks around here". EvilTOJ replies, "Well, just climb up on that chair, look out the window like I do and you will get an ear full of it."
..............................................................................(still laughing)........................
Old 08-06-2011, 03:03 PM

Buy a fox, a chickenhawk, an owl and a raccoon and a sympathy card you can send your neighbor when their rooster is accidently killed
Old 08-06-2011, 04:02 PM

It's not an actual farm, just a farmhouse with a large garden and a huge front yard. It may have been a farm 60 years ago but now it's all suburbs. If I lived in the country I would just deal with it as country life. As I said, there's a county ordinance specifically stating that roosters, peacocks and other loud fowl like guineas aren't allowed within city limits. The crowing started around two months ago, which sounds about the right age for a cockerel to start crowing if he was born this spring.

As for the noise, there's plenty of big trucks that drive past during the day and they don't bother me. I can actually sleep through a lot of noise, and I've already put up thick curtains and blackout curtains in my room to make sure it's dark. The rooster crow is like the episode of American Dad where Roger makes the annoying noise to get Hayley to give him money. Once by itself it's not bad, but hearing it all the time will drive one mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagojeff View Post
Go talk to your neighbor first, Perhaps it can be resolved without bothering the Police. Contrary to what a few of you believe noise issues need to be handled by code enforcement. One of the biggest waste of times in Law Enforcement is noise complaints. Punk ass Captains and Majors lie and tell people to call 911..but trust me.. i put that shit on the backburner if anything important is going on..
This is another reason I didn't want to call the police. I know noise complaints are one of the lowest priority calls ever, and if the police even showed up I'd be surprised. I should ask my landlord if other tenants have mentioned the rooster, she's in pretty tight with most of the complex. Plus I live with a bunch of old people, and we all know old people love to complain!

Shagnasty, I lol'd.

Last edited by EvilTOJ; 08-06-2011 at 04:03 PM..
Old 08-07-2011, 08:56 AM

Get a hawk. They're great at taking out chickens.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:58 AM

I don't get why everyone assumes the neighbors don't care about other people's quality of life. We have chickens (no roosters because we do have one neighbor who is close enough to hear it, although we're zoned for any farm animals we'd like). If anyone complained about noise from any of our animals I'd do everything in my power to fix the problem, because I'm not a dick. Why are we assuming the neighbor is an asshole? Write a note, or talk to them in person if you're comfortable with that. What harm could it do?
Old 08-07-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
I don't get why everyone assumes the neighbors don't care about other people's quality of life. We have chickens (no roosters because we do have one neighbor who is close enough to hear it, although we're zoned for any farm animals we'd like). If anyone complained about noise from any of our animals I'd do everything in my power to fix the problem, because I'm not a dick. Why are we assuming the neighbor is an asshole? Write a note, or talk to them in person if you're comfortable with that. What harm could it do?
As a non-rooster owning person, I have to ask... is there really anything you can do short of getting rid of the animal? It's not like you can sound-proof a chicken coop or cut it's vocal cords.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
As a non-rooster owning person, I have to ask... is there really anything you can do short of getting rid of the animal? It's not like you can sound-proof a chicken coop or cut it's vocal cords.
There is Mike the Headless Chicken.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:22 PM

Learn to deal with it or move.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post

StG
There is no first dibs on noise if it goes against local ordinances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post

It's like the snow plow, the first time it comes through your neighbourhood at 2:30 am, you awaken thinking there's a hurricane or earthquake, it's so loud and it seems like the whole house is shaking.
I disagree. I can clearly hear a garbage truck picking up large bins every morning at 5 am and I’m 10 blocks away. There is no way you’re sleeping through this if you live next to it.

Whatever the solution it has to be an “either or” regarding the police. If you make a complaint and the rooster suddenly has health issues then you’ve just drawn a map to the likely suspect.
Now if you want to be creative, buy a frequency generator and plug it into your stereo and then aim a high frequency speaker at the chicken coop. Run the frequency up beyond human hearing and annoy/scare the crap out of the little troubadour. Ideally, a tweeter mounted in a tube would isolate the sound wave to whatever it is aimed at so it doesn’t drive the neighborhood dogs crazy.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:56 PM

After further review of the local codes/laws etc., I'd probably call the cops (make sure you call the non-emergency number... otherwise you could get a fine or worse for abuse of emergency services).
Old 08-07-2011, 01:25 PM

My neighbors had a hysterical, yapping, tiny dog they would lock out of the house and it would bark, non-stop, for hours.
I emailed the city ordinance about noise from pets/animals and they started to let their dog out to "do its business" and then let him back in the house.
Either they didn't know there were laws, or didn't realize you could hear that barking a mile away, but in any case - problem solved.

Send them a copy of the city ordinance. This will give them warning before you get the police/lawyers involved.

I never understand how anyone thinks they have the right to disturb everyone in their neighborhood. It is rude and I have not an iota of sympathy.

If it is just kids playing, or the occasional loud party (once or twice a year), I can live with that. Part of living in a neighborhood. But to have a constant annoyance next door? No. Screw you. You have no respect for me, so I am going to have none for you.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
There is no first dibs on noise if it goes against local ordinances.

I disagree. I can clearly hear a garbage truck picking up large bins every morning at 5 am and I’m 10 blocks away. There is no way you’re sleeping through this if you live next to it.

Whatever the solution it has to be an “either or” regarding the police. If you make a complaint and the rooster suddenly has health issues then you’ve just drawn a map to the likely suspect.
Now if you want to be creative, buy a frequency generator and plug it into your stereo and then aim a high frequency speaker at the chicken coop. Run the frequency up beyond human hearing and annoy/scare the crap out of the little troubadour. Ideally, a tweeter mounted in a tube would isolate the sound wave to whatever it is aimed at so it doesn’t drive the neighborhood dogs crazy.
Gees Migiver why don't you bump that up a notch and beam microwaves into the chicken coop.

Last edited by Harmonious Discord; 08-07-2011 at 01:47 PM..
Old 08-07-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonious Discord View Post
Gees Migiver why don't you bump that up a notch and beam microwaves into the chicken coop.
too expensive.
you can download a frequency generator for free. http://www.world-voices.com/software/nchtone.html (it just dawned on me that a frequency generator was perfect freeware material so I looked it up)

the little wind-up barking machine next door may be getting the treatment when I get the time since I have the speakers and tubes to do it with.

the last time I trained a neighborhood dog to STFU I used a hose and 30 minutes worth of water. After that I only had to make a psht sound and the dog would stop barking.

Last edited by Magiver; 08-07-2011 at 02:04 PM..
Old 08-07-2011, 02:15 PM

warning, the free frequency generator tries to install a tool bar.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
You can get rid of it. It's a chicken. I really enjoy mine and they have more personality than I expected, but if one of mine was creating a noise problem and bothering the neighbors, I'd eat it or give it away.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:51 PM

I like the ear plug idea until I thought it out. Others have mentioned it doesn't work, also it might be nice to hear the fire alarm or someone is in your flat.

I'd have a diplomatic talk with them. Give them some time to adjust and if in a week if things don't start to settle down, have another diplomatic talk with them. But this time let them know that you don't want to call the authorities but you will if it doesn't stop.

It sucks to have to do it. But there's city ordinances and bylaws for a reason. If their rooster is that special they should move to the country.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:22 AM

For some reason, I saw the thread title and thought this thread must be connected to the "Friends with Benefits" thread.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post
Be tough on it: choke that cock!
Maybe he should just jerk it around first.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
I'll second this. I also have chickens, but no roosters, in the city. Occasionally, the girls can get loud and I'm sure my nearest neighbors can hear them. If they complained to me, I would get rid of the offender. As Renee said, there are plenty of ways to get rid of chickens and roosters, from eating them to Craigslist.

And, for the sake of neighborly relations, I would rather they tell me directly than get the city involved. I'll like you a lot less if I get a fine on top of having to get rid of a bird.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Call Animal Control. Really, they're violating the law and creating a significant nuisance for the neighborhood.

Alternately, invite them over for dinner.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stilettos View Post
And, for the sake of neighborly relations, I would rather they tell me directly than get the city involved. I'll like you a lot less if I get a fine on top of having to get rid of a bird.
Damn straight. Calling some official enforcer first, without even talking to your neighbors, is far more obnoxious than keeping a noisy animal.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark240 View Post
Damn straight. Calling some official enforcer first, without even talking to your neighbors, is far more obnoxious than keeping a noisy animal.
Not really. Illegally keeping animals on your property is pretty obnoxious all by itself. If people don't want to get fined, maybe they should abide by zoning regs.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
Perhaps the neighbours are having the same thoughts about pussies?
Old 08-26-2011, 01:34 AM

So I talked to my landlord about the neighbors. She said "Don't bother talking to them in person. They're assholes!" Apparently they will literally yell and scream at people and threaten to sue for various little infractions (but are all talk, they're just blowhards). Oh boy. So I called the city! Code Enforcement said that they had just changed the statute in May disallowing loud fowl, so my neighbors may not be aware that it has changed. They sent a politely worded letter to them saying the statute has changed, and to get rid of the rooster.

I don't forsee them doing so, but we'll see. The .22 option seems better and better every day....
Old 08-26-2011, 02:15 AM

Ha, that's a good ending. When people recommend that people talk to neighbors regarding things that the neighbors are doing that's annoying, I wonder if they realize that a lot of people really flip their shit if you try to "tell them what to do". I mean, people get nuts. I'd much rather have the police or other municipal powers deal with it. I'm glad it worked out for you.
Closed Thread