Which book series are you reading?

Mine are:

The Dresden Files (about a wizard, not World War II). I’m midway through the latest installment right now.
The Starcatchers*, a children’s series written by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson. Prequels to J.M. Barrie’s Peter Pan (I should probably read that someday).

The Hap Pine & Leonard Collins series by Joe R. Lansdale. Two unlikely best friends go around kicking the asses of those who deserve it.

The* Flashman* novels. Historical memoirs of a fictional anti-hero. Lots of sex and violence, yay!

The* Dark Tower* series by Stephen King. I thought I had finished, but Mr. King’s going to squeeze out one more.

What are yours?

Not a series, but I’m reading my way through all of Malcolm Gladwell’s books. Right now I’m on What the Dog Saw. It’s breast-cancer-free and full of ketchupy goodness!

These are great series of books, I’m up to CAPTAIN’S OUTRAGEOUS after having recently finished THE TWO BEAR MAMBO. Not to nitpick, but its Hap Collins & Leonard Pine instead of the other way around. No big deal.

As for the series I’m reading at the moment, it’s by Robert Charles Wilson and I’m on the 1st of the 3 book series, SPIN. I believe the other 2 books are AXIS and, the one that just came out (and I believe the final book in the series) is called VORTEX. I may be mistaken on the titles or even how many books there will be in the series, but I believe that’s what I read somewhere.

Greg

Oh my. I guess it’s going to be one of those days! :smack:

I scored a full set of Kathy Reichs’s BONES series at a garage sale.

Much better than the series.

It’s a great series, though the latest instalments (Vanella Ride, Devil Red) I find are somewhat disappointing - they lack the bizzare mix of humor, action and horror of the rest of the series.

Too many…

S.M. Stirling’s Novels of The Change: I think there’s two more.

Charlie Huston’s Joe Pitt Casebooks: Vampire PI! Gotta get the last one from the library.

Mira Grant’s Newsflesh series: Zombies and bloggers! Book 3 (supposedly the end) comes out next year.

Michael Grant’s Gone series: Stephen King for teenagers (there’s a dome and everything!) and I love it.

And two trilogies that may never be finised…

Dean Koontz’s Christopher Snow trilogy: Ride the Storm has been in the works for almost 15 years.

Scott Sigler’s Infected trilogy: Book 3 was supposed to come out this month, but it’s nowhere to be seen.

The Wheel of Time books. I’m going to follow the advice of someone on this forum and read until the point I find them boring, then ask for a summery of what happened until Towers of Midnight.

George R. R. Martin’s Song of Ice and Fire

Steven Erikson’s Malazan Empire. I’ve let this slide and will just re-read from Gardens of the Moon, eventually.

I was reading Hap and Leonard too, but was so disappointed with Devil Red that I might just give up.

Joe Abercrombie’s First Law, but I’m not sure if it’s a series or a trilogy. There were three books and then a same-universe stand-alone. I’m hoping for more.

I’m currently rereading a couple of series on my Nook. I just finished the Windrose chronicles by Barbara Hambly, and just started her Untutored Mage series (Sun Wolf and Star Hawk). I’m also working my way through Doreen Tovey’s books about her life with animals. This starts out with Cats in the Belfry. Tovey’s books came out in the 50s and 60s, mostly, and it’s hard to find good dead tree versions, so I’m buying them for the Nook. And I tend to reread Hambly’s books to pieces, so they’re another good candidate for ereading.

Other than that, I’m not really reading any series, just random books as I pick them up.

There are two same-universe stand-alones, and the second is a bit more of a sequel to the original three.

The first stand-alone is Best Served Cold; the second, which just came out a short while ago, is The Heroes.

Good advice, although I think you really should skip to Knife of Dreams (#11), the last book Jordan wrote before he died. (The general consensus I think is that books 1-5 are great, 6 is OK, 7 is bad, 8 is awful, 9 is a bit better, 10 is GODawful).

At this precise moment, Eric Flint’s 1632 series (my current reading material is a shared-universe anthology in the series).

For series for which there exist further books which I have not yet read, Discworld (though I’m close to caught up). I’ve been trying to make them last by only buying 3 or 4 every time I go Amazoning.

For series for which further books don’t yet exist, but which probably will, and which I’ll read when they come out, a couple of series by David Weber: Honor Harrington (including the side series) and Bahzell Banahkson (though the last one was sub-par enough that I’m sort of considering that series on probation).

I read a lot of book series. I like picking up a new book with familiar characters. Right now I’m reading:

A Song of Ice and Fire (trying not to dwell on the long, long wait ahead for book 6)

The **Flashman **novels (I’m rationing these, I only have 5 left unread)

The Dresden Files (the newest book is waiting on me)

I’m also in the middle of:

The Amelia Peabody books - comedic murder mysteries featuring British archeologists in Egypt around the turn of the 20th century, written by Elizabeth Peters.

Lindsy Davis’s **Falco **books, murder mysteries set in ancient Rome during the reign of Vespasian.

The Benjamin January series, murder mysteries set in New Orleans in the 1830’s, by Barbara Hambly.

Elizabeth George’s Inspector Lynley mysteries, set in modern-day London.

The Company novels, time-travel/science fiction by Kage Baker.

The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series, cozy mysteries set in Botswana.

I’m reading Joe Abercrombie’s books, too.

I’m currently reading:
The Wheel of Time
A Song of Ice and Fire
Dresden Files

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (well, that’s the name of the first book) (another huge epic fantasy, only one book out, looks very promising)

The Change by SM Stirling (all technology stops working in the modern world, what happens then, and now 25 years later)

Destroyermen by Taylor Anderson (WWII American destroyer transported to alternate version of the world where evolution went in a very different direction and the dominant species are velociraptors and super-lemurs)

Without Warning/After America by John Birmingham (a mysterious cloud kills nearly every living being in the USA in an instant, how the world changes/reacts)

Honor Harrington by David Weber (ongoing space opera about a scrappy star kingdom contending with its neighbors)

Off Armageddon Reef by David Weber (sci fi series about a planet settled in the far future by people who try to maintain their descendants at a low level of technology for complicated reasons, and a super-awesome-robot who wants to change things)

The Twelve Houses by Sharon Shinn (fantasy novels with a strong bit of romance) (not sure if more are being written)

1632/Grantville by Eric Flint and David Weber (American town is transported back in time to 17th century Germany, much intrigue and battle ensues) (there are many subseries in this series, I generally read the main ones, and I’ve enjoyed some of the side ones).

Until quite recently I devoured every one of the Bob the Nailer books by Stephen Hunter (sniper-oriented thrillers), but the most recent one was insultingly awful.

The Family Trade by Charles Stross (modern American woman learns she can transport herself to an alternate timestream Earth, a talent she apparently inherited from her estranged family, who she then comes back into contact with)

I tend to shy away from books that don’t stand alone, which is funny because I really enjoy the series that I follow. It’s a red-letter day when you see, “Oh, the next such-and-such book is out!”

I do read some books with recurring characters that I didn’t count because it’s not important to read them in order. Examples would be the Lewis Barnavelt books by John Bellairs/Brad Strickland, or the Lazlo Woodbine/Hugo Rune books by Robert Rankin.

Oh, bunches of series.

Right at the moment:

Reigning Cats & Dogs by Cynthia Baxter
The Mortal Instruments by Clarissa Clare
The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
the Cal Leandros series by Rob Thurman

On-going series I keep up on as soon as I can get the latest books:

Sookie Stackhouse series by Charline Harris
the Women of Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong
the Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison
the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
the Mercy Thomas series by Patricia Briggs
the Need series by Carrie Jones
the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson
the Immortals series by Alyson Noel
the Devouring series by Simon Holt
A Song of Fire and Ice by George R. Martin
Between the Numbers series by Janet Evanovich (I don’t read the other SP books)

I’ve started reading the back issues of The Walking Dead comic series. Should be caught up soon.

Also just started A Song of Ice and Fire. Love the tv show, so I’m going to read the books.

I always read the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child. They are fun action-thriller pulp fiction.

I’m working through C.S. Forester’s Hornblower series right now - my father gave me the whole collection in paperback recently. Just finished book 5, and will crack open book 6 while eating lunch today…

I’m also reading The Dresden Files, though I’m in the middle of the first one. It’s fine as a quick summer read and a lot of fun, but it’s not a tremendous crowning achievement. Still, I’ll probably keep reading the rest as I can find them.