The 9th Annual Steelers March to the Super Bowl Thread

That’s right, it’s that time of the year, when the Steelers run roughshod over the rest of the league in their quest to bring Lombardi Trophy Number Seven back to Pittsburgh in grand tradition. Before we get started, I have a little housekeeping to do.

I’ve always known that there were a few people that simply couldn’t stand my annual Steelers threads, but two posters in particular were pointed in saying so, one in last year’s thread and one in a thread about things they hate on the SDMB. So, in honor of them, I would like to dedicate this thread to Robot Arm and MadTheSwine. They are the first posters so honored, and they should be immensely proud of their accomplishment. It is because of such people that I have the strength to carry on, and I will continue to honor such pioneers in the opening of all future threads.

Now, then. On to football.

The AFC North is the Steelers’ to win or lose. They have returned much the same team as the one that narrowly lost the Super Bowl to the Packers. Ben Roethlisberger has had an entire offseason to heal up, the defense (with one exception) is still strong, and the young wide receivers look to be pretty capable and able to get the job done. Hines Ward is a year older and might have lost a step, but Mike Wallace is a rocketship and they just signed Jerrico Cotchery so they have three solid wide receivers and good backups in Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders. Heath Miller is still the lynchpin at tight end. The offensive line lost a few former starters, but they have second-year sensation Maurkice Pouncey back after his injury, and even with the losses it’s safe to say that the line couldn’t be much worse than it’s been over the last few years.

The defense still has the awesome line (featuring the vastly underrated Aaron Smith), linebacking corps, and its heart and soul in Troy Polamalu. What it doesn’t have is a really dependable secondary. Ike Taylor, known around these parts as “Goddamn” Ike Taylor with the inflection entirely dependent upon what kind of play he makes, is a pretty good cover cornerback but when he gets burned it’s worse than an arsonist in Hell. Worse, he broke his thumb in last night’s preseason game. Let’s hope that he does the job this year after signing a nice fat contract. Ryan Clark has been pretty dependable as well, but he’s too intent on demolishing people instead of wrapping them up. The bottom line is this: outside of Polamalu the secondary is suspect. Wow, you say, a rare moment of insight and honesty in my yearly ode to Pittsburgh invincibility! Perhaps, but the secondary has always been suspect and they still survive, albeit giving their fans a few heart attacks every year.

Special teams aren’t much to talk about with the new kickoff rule. This year is going to be touchback Heaven. It’s the punts that they need to really worry about. As long as they do an adequate job all is copacetic, they need no miracles from the special teams. Still, it’s good to have Sepulveda back. He looked great last night.

On to the rest of the division:

The hated Ratbirds: they lost some serious horsepower in the offseason. They cut Todd Heap and Derrick Mason, two of their finest, most dependable receivers. All they have left is Boldin and a bunch of fill-ins. When they can’t throw they’ll get stacked up in the box and won’t be able to run, either. It’s looking like it could be a long year for them, though they’re still a lock for second place. Their defense is solid as always, but Murderin’ Ray is getting older and is talking retirement. Suggs is a Steeler killer and always has been, but even so the Steelers have gotten the better of the Ravens over the past few years and I expect nothing different this year.

The Browns: Hey, they’re improving. It’s a rare year indeed that you can say that, but they will go only as far as Peyton Hillis’ legs and Colt McCoy’s arm can take them. That’s not very far, or at least not far enough. It’ll be good to have a reason to hate the Browns again, but it won’t happen this year.

The Bengals: OK, let’s be straight about this. The Bengals absolutely, positively suck. They will be in the running for the first pick in the draft next year. I have them as odds-on favorites in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. They have nothing else to look forward to.

I could talk in depth about the rest of the AFC, but my views on the other teams are well-known so I’ll hit the highlights.

The Jets got Plaxico Burress, but that doesn’t matter because Sanchez can’t get the ball to him. The Patriots better hope that the cancer that is Albert Haynesworth doesn’t eat them alive and that Ochocinco hasn’t lost a step like I believe he has. The Colts have concerns about Peyton Manning’s shoulder and better wrap their heads around the possibility of the start of the Curtis Painter era, also known as DOOM!

In the NFC, the odds-on favorite has to be the Packers. It just has to be. The Eagles, for all their big-name signings, are about to find out something that Redskins fans have known for years about trying to buy a championship with free agents: it doesn’t work. The total absence of arrogance from the Cowboys (or their fans, who seem to have finally accepted the reality of mediocrity) is welcome. The Saints will still be pretty strong, as will the Falcons and (maybe) the Giants. The ineptitude of the NFC West will be epic, just as it was last year, but in the end it won’t matter. The NFC is the Packers’ to win or lose.

That’s my preseason take. I could go on and on, but as it always is with the season, anything can happen. We’ll see how it goes.

As always, my objective prediction: Pittsburgh wins 12-13 games, earns at least the 2 seed, wins the AFC Championship over the hated Patriots by a touchdown, and get to the Super Bowl in a rematch with the Packers. This time the Steelers win by a touchdown in another dramatic thriller and bring the Lombardi Trophy back where it belongs, the City of Champions.

I can’t believe this thread is up to its 9th iteration already!

I always predict a 16-0 run, followed by triple or quadruple point blowouts in the playoffs. The Steelers come close sometimes, but haven’t done that yet to my knowledge. Maybe they should concentrate on less lofty goals, like holding their opponents to zero net yards for the season?

I’m unfortunately more of the “rah rah Steelers” sort of fan though, than one who has spent a lot of time researching their players and team strengths and weaknesses.

I just think of this thread as if it were titled “2011 AFC North Thread” which makes it slightly less obnoxious.

I am concerned this year.
Troy - who may end up being my favorite Steeler of all time - seems to not be able to recover from injuries too well any more.

I believe our O-line is still weak and because Ben likes to hold onto the ball, we’ll see more sacks this year.

On the plus side, at least we have a DWTS winner…

None-the-less, the best time of the year is soon upon us: NFL and autumn weather!

Go Steelers!

(As an aside, while I agree with much of what James Harrison had to say, I was disappointed in the manner in which he said it.)

Great offseason for the Steelers. Hines Ward gets a DUI. The whiniest loudmouth in football added gay slurs to his repetoire of ignorance. Mendenhall is a truther with sympathies for a mass murderer. If this keeps up, it might be a fun year.

Which part? Do you agree with:

1. Roger Goodell is a crook, a puppet, and a faggot?

2. That you wouldn’t piss on Roger Goodell if he were on fire?

3. If it wasn’t for the money, he woulda quit football last year?

4. That the Steelers are targets for the NFL because they have too much force, too much swag and are predominately black?

5. Clay Matthews is all hype?

6. Goodell is a racist who is after black players?

7. That homosexuals shouldn’t be allowed to get married?

8. Mendenhall is a fumble machine?

9. The defense has to bail Rothsliberger out?

James Harrison is a fucking joke of a human being.

I think you give Ryan Clark too little credit. Polamalu would be the first to tell you that he couldn’t do much of what he does if he didn’t have Clark there to cover for him. I’d revise this to simply say the corners are suspect.

Good call on your part.

I overstated myself. I agree with *some *of what he said, not *much *of what he said.

I say the following without having ever played football on any level - not even high school, so I don’t know what it is like to be on either side of this equation, but although I definitely want to see the players not get hurt, I agree with Harrison (and others who commented last year, like Howie Long) that a player can come in fast, launch himself at a legal target and then that target can curl up and take an illegal hit - and there is no way physics will allow the player to change the route. I thought the commissioner was over the top last year. That view on the commissioner could have been aired, if done so respectfully. I do not endorse calling anyone a faggot.

Mendenhall certainly had his share of fumbles, but I think he got better as time went on.

Ben has benefited greatly from having a good defense, and while I think he is a good QB, one who is a good fit for this team, I’m not sure he is a great QB. Ben is a better QB than I initially gave him credit for.

Neither of those two points should have ever made it into his interview - never air dirty laundry.

If I haven’t addressed one of the quotes directly, please assume that I am not in agreement (and probably rather strongly in disagreement.)

More like the 2011 Steelers March to the Disabled List.

That could very well be the case. Is it just me or does it seem like there are many more injuries in football than there were a decade ago?

I don’t know about that. There may be much more reporting of injuries now, no matter how minor.

Prediction: The Steelers go 18-0 in the regular season. How? Easily. During the lockout, they, as a team, built a device that will take them to a parallel universe where the season was expanded.

I agree.

Do you agree with Harrison that the commissioner is biased in being “over the top”? Do you agree with Harrison that himself specifically, and black players as a whole, are singled out by the Commissioner for punishment, while white players get a pass? Do you agree with Harrison that himself as a player and the Steelers as a team are also singled out and targeted by the referees, more so than other teams and players in the NFL?

If Harrison simply said what you did, there wouldn’t be the slightest problem. But he insists on incessantly whining that he and the Steelers are picked on by everyone, and he expresses that opinion while showing his homophobic, paranoid personality.

Are you *specifically *look for an argument? If so you won’t get one from me.

I said this:

And this:

Which I later amended from *much *to some and even acknowledged that you have a valid point for calling out that I said I agree with *much *of what was said.

I misspoke, I’ve owned up to it, I’ve noted the part that I meant to agree with, seriously - let it go.

Or keep on about it, but don’t expect me to continue to engage.

Nine marches to the bowl and what, two arrivals?

I’m just trying to figure out the specifics of what you agree with James Harrison. So far it’s “some”, which is less than “much”, but more than one thing. I understand if you don’t want to answer, and God knows I can’t make you. I just was wondering what the “some” you agree with was. Sorry if that upset you.

I agree that the league set out to make the game “safer”, which they haven’t, and I agree that the new rule specifically targets the Steelers and other teams that have traditionally strong defenses because the players on that team are now going to be more reluctant to hit someone for fear of getting fined or suspended. It’s referred to as the “Pittsburgh Steelers Rule”, for God’s sake. Of course it was supposed to affect the Steelers.

It’s a shame that James Harrison had to be the poster boy for it, though. He’s every bit the thug that people have been making him out to be. I didn’t really want to believe that, but his comments during the lockout were way out of line and really soured me on him. He needs to shut up and adapt to the new reality or go away. Pittsburgh will go on without him if needs be.

But he’s not wrong about the rule. Flagrant fouls should of course be called, but if it doesn’t draw a flag on the field it certainly shouldn’t draw a fine or a suspension. The rule, ostensibly for safety ( :rolleyes: ), simply creates yet another advantage for the offense.

It’s supposed to, and does, effect EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL, not just the Steelers, not just strong defensive teams, and not just James Harrison. If you want to bemoan the loss of head shots, or that the NFL shouldn’t do anything to combat concussions, or that the new rule puts too much power in the hands of referees, I may disagree, but it wouldn’t be a problem at all. But this idea that somehow Goodell and/or the referees have it out for the Steelers, or James Harrison, or only black players, is, to my mind, sheer idiocy.

Three, with two wins. Better than most. Isn’t that right, Lions fan?

I have to give you credit, though, you’ve stuck by the Lions through thin and, well, thinner. One day you’ll be able to post one of these types of threads, say, around 2035.

Yes, I know you disagree. You’ve made that point at every opportunity since the whole thing blew up last year. So? I note you didn’t address the rest of the post where I said that flagrant fouls should of course be penalized.

If I’m an offensive player I’m leading with my head at every opportunity, because with this new rule nobody would dare to hit me. What a gift the offenses across the league got.