Wonderful anti-Muslim e-mail I got

To my work e-mail. The sender is a Jewish woman, with whom I have sometimes discussed Israel - I have a friend in Israel, and sometimes I share news with her, and generally have a positive view of Judaism and Israel in general, so perhaps she thinks I wouldn’t mind such things.

I am, of course, not even going to respond - no point. I just wanted to share it here. It is obviously extremely sensationalist - the UK ‘debating’ whether to remove the Holocaust from curriculum could be something serious, or something as minor as one person trying to remove it and being shot down, for example.

Anything using the phrase “The Jews” gets an automatic side-eye from me.

Oh good, the Europeans have found another Semetic people they’re convinced are undermining them from within. This should end well.

Not a single relative of mine has won a Nobel Prize. Heck, my parents didn’t even go to college. None of my grandparents went to high school. Instead of accomplishing anything major in physics, chemistry, medicine, peace, literature, economics, or anything else in which they might become famous, my ancestors wasted their time as farmers in the U.S. (and before that in Germany, England, and Switzerland). Before that they were undoubtedly serfs in various places in Europe. There is obviously no hope for any of their descendants then. They are doomed to lives of near slavery in jobs requiring little education.

Incidentally, why has the writer of that E-mail failed to mention the chemistry Nobel Prizes? Are the Jews brilliant in everything except chemistry? Does the writer not know that there is a Nobel Prize in chemistry?:

Abdus Salam won the physics Nobel along with Weinberg and Glashow in 1979.

I’d tell that person to stop sending me anything that wasn’t work related, and I’d forward that particular e-mail to HR.

The list of Jewish Physics Nobelists appears to have the Chemistry Nobelists mixed in.

Sadly, racism is alive and well. As I’ve pointed out before, the majority of the world’s 1.2 billion muslims don’t go around exploding. Save the hate for the extremists.

I’m dubious the original email was actually printed in a Spanish newspaper, can anyone find a source?

Naw. I mean, I’ve done it before (asked the person to stop sending me things like that, not sent it to HR), but she is really a decent person, just a little misguided. I don’t like non-work e-mails in my inbox, but it is the work of a moment to hit delete and it’s better than getting into a pissing match at work.

I’d rather just post it here for entertainment’s sake. :slight_smile:
This is the weirdest comment: ALL EUROPEAN LIFE DIED IN AUSCHWITZ. I feel really bad for all of the non-Muslims living in Europe right now, knowing that they are worth nothing compared to the six million dead Jews. I don’t say we shouldn’t remember them, of course not, but it seems wrong on so many levels to forget everyone who did survive, including Jews, and people who helped Jews, and people who weren’t even born!

And I will also add the one thing I always bitch about in these sorts of things - yes, six million Jews died. Millions of other peoples died, too, and I fear we tend more and more to forget those innocents. From Wiki: Romani (more commonly known in English by the exonym “Gypsies”), Sinti, Soviet prisoners of war, Polish and Soviet civilians, homosexuals, people with disabilities, Jehovah’s Witnesses and other political and religious opponents, which occurred regardless of whether they were of German or non-German ethnic origin.

The total number of Holocaust victims is between 11 million and 17 million people!

A google search suggests it’s a fake. Sadly no Snopes article as yet.

The bit about the UK debating the removal of teaching about the Holocaust is an exaggeration, to say the least. My rule for glurge-spotting is that any claim that someone “didn’t want to offend” someone else is dead wrong, 100% of the time.

Classic bull coming from Eurabists. People rolling themselves daily in the ashes of the victims of the Holocaust but that, in the same breath, ask that that kind of treatment be applied to Europe’s Muslims.

I got that from a Jewish friend, too. It’s really hard to respond to these kinds of things. Of course the list is probably accurate, but there are Jewish extremists, too.

OTOH this same friend thought that Osama bin Laden was “kinda hot” and “really intriguing.” People are weird.

I think it sends a conflicting message to say

when three-quarters of the Nobel prizes in the list that follows were awarded after 1944. I am not trying to diminish what happened in any way, but it sounds like “the Jews” are still doing ok.

For two groups of people who are so closely related to be so ignorant about what the mainstream members of the groups believe, constantly astounds me.

My husband, a secular and westernized Muslim, is frequently told bizarrely inaccurate generalizations about Jews. He always runs it by me (humanistic Jew) for my take. I return the favor when I’m told similar stuff about Muslims. We usually just shake our heads in sad wonderment about it.

Generally, there’s no use in responding to all the bizarre allegations in these cases. I just try to pick some of the more outrageous ones that can be refuted easily, and then suggest to person, “If the author got this obvious stuff wrong, what else did he get wrong?”

Oy vey…

Ashkenazic Jews aren’t particularly closely related to Muslims - culturally, they are very different from the bulk of Muslims, and closer to other Europeans.

This also is the reason why the “Nobel Prize” comparison is unfair to Muslims - most Muslims population-wise these days are not “Westernized”, and so not as likely to be on the forefront of education and science - but this says nothing about Islam as a religion, or Muslims as a people: the exact reverse was true during the 9th-11th centuries, when the role-call of prominent scientists was dominated by Muslims.

Tell that to Yitzhak Rabin.

This sounds an awful lot like some of the stuff the antisemites falsely accused Jews of doing, before the Holocaust.

I can kind of sympathize for the email sender. After all, the Muslims invented Algebra which, to this day, is still the worst thing they’ve ever inflicted on the world

True. The majority of Muslims are not Arabs, but Indonesians, and the majority of Jews are not Sephradim (as I keep trying to explain to people when they ask me about Yiddish, gefilte fish and dreidls: How should I know? I’m Sephardic. :smiley: )

Because the OP mentioned she and the sender of the e-mail had discussed Israel, I was thinking in terms of genes and cultural elements shared by (some of the) Jewish and Arab-Muslim Semitic groups living in what today is referred to commonly as “the Middle East”.

Toucanna, a nitpick: Yes, the majority of Moslems are not Arabic. Only 20% of them are. No, the majority are not Indonesian. The majority are from Asia, mostly Indonesia, Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh. That’s 62% of all Moslems: