View Poll Results: COFFEE
I use pre-ground coffee. 69 39.88%
I grind whole bean coffee. 105 60.69%
I drink instant coffee. 13 7.51%
I drink Turkish coffee. 4 2.31%
I use K-Cup or some other form of coffee. 13 7.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2011, 09:42 PM

Coffee drinkers: do you use pre-ground or whole bean?

I used to drink Dunkin Donuts pre-ground coffee, but I just got a grinder and started buying the whole beans in stead. Sure enough, it does taste better. Smoother, with a more complex flavor.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:57 PM

I've used whole beans for years. I think you get a better cup of coffee that way. I drink it black with no sugar, so I have no way to mask the bitterness I taste with pre-ground stuff.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:01 PM

Whole bean, drink it black.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:01 PM

Yes! It tastes less bitter. Using ground beans, I can make a stronger cup of coffee and have it taste better, whereas a similarly strong cup made from pre-ground beans would be too bitter/sour.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:04 PM

Whole beans ground in a burr grinder just before brewing. I drink it unsweetened and black so I can enjoy the flavor.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:22 PM
BANNED

My parents owned and operated a whole-bean shop in the early 1980s, which was bankrupted. By drinking from the can, I like to think I'm screwing my father and mother both. Kind of hawt, I guess. At any rate, I don't care, so I drink Folger's or whatever. Usually tea in bags.

Cannot stand the noise from a fancy burr-grinder or the other kind, so it's always going to be pre-ground for me.

ETA I'm not a total Philistine -- I've roasted my own greens using a cast-iron, with mixed results. Fun to try, though.

Last edited by Jaledin; 10-08-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:23 PM

I voted whole bean and K-cup, since we do both at home.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:25 PM

Whole bean, ground in a burr grinder right before brewing. Black, no sugar. Richer and better flavor, less bitterness than preground.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:32 PM

Wow, I guess I should start grinding my own beans. Won't be hard to find a grinder: we got six or seven of them for our wedding.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:35 PM

I drink pre-ground, due to the noise factor. My work shift and hubby's don't synch in any way, so I try to be considerate. Back in my single days, I ground my own to use in the French press. I definitely miss the richer flavor, especially since I also drink mine black and unsweetened.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:23 AM

Another vote for whole beans, burr-ground just before brewing.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:29 AM

I get a pound of Millstone Breakfast Blend beans and grind them at the grocery store. I have no idea what kind of grinder is in the grocery. I do know it works well.

I guess technically I use pre-ground. But, it was ground within two weeks of use.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-09-2011 at 04:30 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:07 AM

I drink pre-ground coffee. When I want a lot of coffee, I want coffee NOW. No messing around. Pour water in the Mr. Coffee, add a few spoonfuls to the filter basket, wait a couple of minute, and start pouring a cup before it's even finished brewing.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:37 AM

I use pre-ground because I'm a horrible person who likes to add cream and sugar to her coffee, and it doesn't make a big enough difference to be worth the hassle of grinding it myself.

When I'm using my french press instead of my drip coffeepot, I will grind beans myself, because otherwise the pre-ground stuff is much too fine and I get sludge. But most mornings I have my coffeepot programmed to be ready when I wake up, no effort necessary.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:05 AM

I had to look up what the heck a "K-Cup" was. Apparently it's one of many brands of ground beans prepackaged into single-serving containers, sometimes with a built-in filter. (Maybe it's well-known where the OP is from, but not 'round these parts.) The generic terms for these things are "coffee pads" and "coffee capsules".

I checked that box because we have a Nespresso machine which uses aluminum capsules. Personally I'm not enough of a coffee connoisseur to tell the difference in taste between these coffee capsules, instant coffee, and the beans ground by the machine in my office.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:09 AM

Count me among those who can't stand the noise of a grinder. Particularly on a hung-over morning when I really need that first cup of coffee! I buy Dunkin' Donuts pre-ground and drink it black. Doesn't taste in the least bit bitter to me.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Grind our beans, but not in a burr grinder. If the Ms is still asleep, I just throw a towel over the grinder to muffle the noise.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

I use ground.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
Count me among those who can't stand the noise of a grinder. Particularly on a hung-over morning...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Grind our beans, but not in a burr grinder. If the Ms is still asleep, I just throw a towel over the grinder to muffle the noise.
You might try using a mortar and pestle. It gives you better control over the size of the grind, and it can be used for making curries, too.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:44 PM

I use whole bean.

I've found that I can buy some of the less expensive beans (Eight O'Clock, Kroger Private Selection) and still have a good cup of Joe if I grind the beans as I need them.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:51 PM
BANNED

My coffee maker had a grinder with it. So I went from beans.
It broke . My wife bought one that does not have a grinder so we buy ground now. I drink it black. My wife has a variety of flavors she squirts into her cup.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
You might try using a mortar and pestle. It gives you better control over the size of the grind, and it can be used for making curries, too.
I sense some facetiousness, but actually, the Swiss (I believe)-made hand grinders are very effective, and also pretty nice to look at. The sort that mount on the wall and only have a small little cup in which to hold the ground coffee. If either of my parents want to part with one because they need some space, I'd gladly use that.

My blade grinder is reserved for spices only -- I don't want burning hot chiles in my morning cuppa.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:21 PM

K-cups. I only drink one cup so it's ideal.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:27 PM

I don't drink coffee, but I remember Mom and Dad's coffee grinder waking me in the morning. They got it as a wedding present in 1946, and it finally gave out just a few years ago (lasted 60 yrs). I think Dad had an emotional attachment to the damn thing. We don't call each other often, but he had to call me about the coffee grinder and even considered getting it repaired. He knew exactly the amount that he needed for his perfect cup of coffee.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:35 PM
SD Curator of Critters

I use pre-ground coffee on weekdays when all I want is some caffeine to start the day. On weekends, when I have more time, I grind beans of specialty coffees.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
A hand mill is very quiet - mine's been great for the last 3 years. Probably not great for curry.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:37 PM

I've got one of those coffee pots that grinds the beans before brewing. I set the timer and it works like an alarm clock in the morning.

I'd prefer french press but my wife thinks it too strong.

I drink it with a bit of milk to take off the edge - my wife pollutes it with sugar.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaledin View Post
I sense some facetiousness, but actually, the Swiss (I believe)-made hand grinders are very effective, and also pretty nice to look at. The sort that mount on the wall and only have a small little cup in which to hold the ground coffee. If either of my parents want to part with one because they need some space, I'd gladly use that.

My blade grinder is reserved for spices only -- I don't want burning hot chiles in my morning cuppa.
A couple of years ago, when I was visiting the folks, I bought whole bean coffee when grocery shopping without thinking ( Mom and Dad use pre-ground). I thought I would have to go back to the grocery store to pick up some more when my dad brought out my great grandmother's old school hand grinder.

A little cleaning and some lubrication and we were able to grind our morning coffee with no problem. The grinder dated from around the late nineteenth - early twentieth century.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:49 PM

Pre-ground, Henrys or Starbucks Sumatra, mostly.

In the past I've done the grinding > French press or stove-top percolator - the coffee is definitely better-tasting.
But mostly I am lazy and like the convenience of pre-ground and my Mr. Coffee.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:24 PM

Holy crap. I'm not believing this poll.

I've always thought the die hard purists that grind their own beans was minuscule. Maybe 1% of coffee drinkers.

Who knew we had so may coffee purists here? Wow.. I've never even known anyone that owned a coffee grinder. French Press? That's something I see on Top Chef.

I'll tip my hat to you as I drink my heathen pre-ground medium roast made in my Hamilton Beach drip pot in the morning. Needless to say, I've never stepped foot in Starbucks in my life. Don't plan to either.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-09-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:28 PM

I usually grind whole bean at the point of puchase. Occasionally I'll buy ground at Trader Joe's because they don't sell the particular kind any other way, like New Mexican Piñon or Pumpkin Spice.

Last edited by porcupine; 10-09-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post

I've always thought the die hard purists that grind their own beans was minuscule. Maybe 1% of coffee drinkers.

Who knew we had so may coffee purists here? Wow.. I've never even known anyone that owned a coffee grinder. French Press? That's something I see on Top Chef.

I'll tip my hat to you as I drink my heathen pre-ground medium roast made in my Hamilton Beach drip pot in the morning. Needless to say, I've never stepped foot in Starbucks in my life. Don't plan to either.
There are so many levels of coffee snobbery gourmet-ship yet to explore above Starbucks. An anecdote - I was living in Vancouver, the centre of Canadian coffee worship, and I noticed some guys pulling up across the street in a truck. They were dressed normally, looked like they'd fit right in to the neighborhood, but as soon as they got out of the truck I knew they were there to work on the neighbor's house. I didn't know why I knew this, but I knew it. Then I realized it was because they had Starbucks coffee cups, which in Vancouver is the coffee of the hoi polloi. Those in the know go to a local artisan coffee shop.

Or roast their own beans at home.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Needless to say, I've never stepped foot in Starbucks in my life. Don't plan to either.
Many purists scoff at Starbucks and call their beans burnt, as Attack alluded to. I'm not a fan of many of their roasts myself, but some are decent.

I've had fresh-ground at home for probably the last decade and a half, but recently got a Keurig. I'd rate the K-cups at better than bulk pre-ground (since the ground coffee is vacuum-packed in an individual serving cup) but not quite the same as fresh-ground. Darned close, though, especially since I use cream and sugar anyway, so I'm not a "real" purist.

Besides home-roasting, some people also buy home espresso makers. That's dedication.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:28 AM

Dedication is a hand powered espresso machine.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:

But the poll isn't answering "'what percent of coffee drinkers?"; it's about "what percent of people who are opinionated enough about coffee to respond to a thread asking whether they grind their own beans?"

Quote:
It's funny; I used to think that too. Now I don't understand why more people don't use them. It's really not any more complicated than a drip coffee maker: put water in the kettle and turn on the stove, put coffee in the glass, get the rest of breakfast together until the water boils, pour water into the glass, wait two minutes, pour coffee. That's exactly one step more than a drip coffee maker (put coffee + filter in basket, put water in the pot and pour it into the coffee maker, wait five minutes, pour coffee). Plus, it's simpler and doesn't take up counter space.

Anyway, not that I'm too far into coffeenerdness, but since I got a grinder as a gift, I taste-tested pre-ground versus fresh-ground in both a french press and the medium-quality espresso maker someone brought in to work (OK, we got two grinders as gifts...) Definite difference, but not overwhelming (i.e. if money was tight and the grinder broke it wouldn't be the top of the list to spend money on).
Old 10-11-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Eyed Girl View Post
Whole beans ground in a burr grinder just before brewing. I drink it unsweetened and black so I can enjoy the flavor.
This!

And in a French press, of course.

Also, I drink Turkish Coffee sometimes as well. Can't believe I forgot to vote for that.

Last edited by tr0psn4j; 10-11-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
I drink pre-ground coffee. When I want a lot of coffee, I want coffee NOW. No messing around. Pour water in the Mr. Coffee, add a few spoonfuls to the filter basket, wait a couple of minute, and start pouring a cup before it's even finished brewing.
Preach it. I'm usually on my second cup when the coffee purists are just finishing the roasting process. Importing beans individually from certified free-range growers is way too time consuming for me. I need coffee NOW.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:43 PM

I usually grind beans in the morning, but we keep some Folgers pre-ground on hand for situation where one of us is awake and doesn't wanna wake the other.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:48 PM

I used to use pre-ground, then I switched to grinding my own. Now, I couldn't be bothered. I have enough to do without worrying about grinding coffee beans.

Sure, it tastes better, but so does home made bread, and I have no time for that shit either.

ETA: I'm a black, unsweetened drinker too.

Last edited by Leaffan; 10-11-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
But the poll isn't answering "'what percent of coffee drinkers?"; it's about "what percent of people who are opinionated enough about coffee to respond to a thread asking whether they grind their own beans?"

It's funny; I used to think that too. Now I don't understand why more people don't use them. It's really not any more complicated than a drip coffee maker: put water in the kettle and turn on the stove, put coffee in the glass, get the rest of breakfast together until the water boils, pour water into the glass, wait two minutes, pour coffee. That's exactly one step more than a drip coffee maker (put coffee + filter in basket, put water in the pot and pour it into the coffee maker, wait five minutes, pour coffee). Plus, it's simpler and doesn't take up counter space.

Anyway, not that I'm too far into coffeenerdness, but since I got a grinder as a gift, I taste-tested pre-ground versus fresh-ground in both a french press and the medium-quality espresso maker someone brought in to work (OK, we got two grinders as gifts...) Definite difference, but not overwhelming (i.e. if money was tight and the grinder broke it wouldn't be the top of the list to spend money on).
Just a nitpick but you let the boiling water cool before pouring it over the coffee.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attack from the 3rd dimension View Post
There are so many levels of coffee snobbery gourmet-ship yet to explore above Starbucks. An anecdote - I was living in Vancouver, the centre of Canadian coffee worship, and I noticed some guys pulling up across the street in a truck. They were dressed normally, looked like they'd fit right in to the neighborhood, but as soon as they got out of the truck I knew they were there to work on the neighbor's house. I didn't know why I knew this, but I knew it. Then I realized it was because they had Starbucks coffee cups, which in Vancouver is the coffee of the hoi polloi. Those in the know go to a local artisan coffee shop.

Or roast their own beans at home.
How I know someone is an insufferable hipster snob: their coffee cup is not from Timmy Ho's.

Wait, corollary: if it's Starbucks, it's a yuppie trying to look cool.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:37 PM

When I was working from home, I'd grind my own. Now that I have to get up early to get into the office, I've grown to hate waking up and having to grind some beans because I forgot to do it the night before, so I just use pre-ground. My palate isn't discerning enough to really tell the difference anyway.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:46 PM

Grind my own at home for breakfast; horrible instant coffee at the office because it's provided for cheap and I need the caffeine.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:58 PM

We grind beans in a burr grinder just prior to brewing.

We both drink our coffee black, no sugar as well.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftless View Post
Preach it. I'm usually on my second cup when the coffee purists are just finishing the roasting process. Importing beans individually from certified free-range growers is way too time consuming for me. I need coffee NOW.
I have friends who roast their own - and coffee for 10 was an all night affair. And not significantly better than what I usually drink.

I have a Cuisanart coffee make with a blade grinder, and it is just about as fast as pre-ground. Grinding does not take all that long, and filling the container with beans is faster and neater than measuring ground coffee. And it has the wonderful feature of pausing in mid-drip while you get your coffee so you don't have to wait. I'm a Neanderthal who uses cream and sugar, so an external burr grinder is not worth it for me.
And I love the sound of it grinding - especially when it is set and I'm still shaving when it starts.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:40 PM

We grind beans using a burr grinder the night before*, so there's no fussing in the morning. Just turn the coffee maker on. ETA: And yes, grinding is very loud.

* Well, my wife does. I'm in charge of the water.

Last edited by ZenBeam; 10-11-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0psn4j View Post
Just a nitpick but you let the boiling water cool before pouring it over the coffee.
Anti-coffeenerd checking in. Absolutely true. I've calibrated using a thermometer, and with my stove, It's about five minutes (whistle closed) to get the water to the corrrect temperature (which I can't remember -- I want to say 190 degrees F, but I'm studying Chemistry at college now, so I'm not apt to get the correct degree).

French Press is the way to go -- it's the opposite of fancy. Rather, it's the easiest, simplest, cheapest way to get a quick cup, and if you drink tea, as I usually do, you already have the action required to boil water and get the fixin's ready with the other hand. Plus, faster than waiting for drip, which is the part I can't stand.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaledin View Post
Anti-coffeenerd checking in. Absolutely true. I've calibrated using a thermometer, and with my stove, It's about five minutes (whistle closed) to get the water to the corrrect temperature (which I can't remember -- I want to say 190 degrees F, but I'm studying Chemistry at college now, so I'm not apt to get the correct degree).

French Press is the way to go -- it's the opposite of fancy. Rather, it's the easiest, simplest, cheapest way to get a quick cup, and if you drink tea, as I usually do, you already have the action required to boil water and get the fixin's ready with the other hand. Plus, faster than waiting for drip, which is the part I can't stand.
IIRC, the number I read was 207° Fahrenheit. When using a French press, I use the "close enough" method, which is basically to listen to the kettle. I can hear when it comes to just below a boil, and assume that a little cooling will occur when I pour the water. Works okay for me.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:19 PM

I use whole bean. Recently I've begun running my beans through my smoker for a bit of added flavor. It's quite nice. Works better with light to medium beans. Adds a nice hint of smokiness to the brew.

And of course I take it black.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:14 AM

Pre-ground (for a plunger) generally, if I'm not drinking instant coffee*. I'm not a morning person at the best of times and frankly I'm not in the mood for buggering around with a grinder when I'm trying to prepare antemeridian refreshments.

*I know American instant coffee is allegedly undrinkable shit, but there's a few acceptable or even "Actually not too bad at all" types here in Australia/NZ IMHO)