The stories you tell!

This ever happen to you? You have a story to tell, that while it is absolutely 100% true, the details are so outrageous, that people think you are adding to the tale to make it more interesting or something.

I have two such stories and would love to hear yours. Here is my first one and I’ll tell my second one later if the thread gains traction.

We once had a cat that was darn near feral. He lived in our home. He was mean. Grown men with long painting sticks in their hands were afraid of him.

He started to act kind of ill and I was afraid he had licked up some antifreeze, so I called a local vet that I’d never used before for an emergency appointment. When I walked in with my booger butt (yes, that was his nickname), he began to get very agitated because there were three very large dogs that had free roam of this office.
I can’t remember the breed, but they were big and not confined in anyway. I had my cat in a case though, so I wasn’t too concerned.

So as I’m checking in, the girl at the counter tells me that the dogs belong to the vet and they won’t bite. Suddenly, I hear a loud noise like a door banging open and then this woman walks out and she is yelling and cussing and carrying on. She did make brief eye contact with me. My presence did not slow her down.

She is talking to another girl behind the counter and saying things like: “how many fucking times do I have to tell you not to do the fucking paperwork like that”…stuff like that. It only lasted about 30 seconds or so, but it was ugly. Then the angry lady went into another room.

The girl I was talking to told me that the woman was the vet and that’s just how she is. Eeek, I was scared, but needed to be sure my cat wasn’t deathly ill. So I went in to the room and actually the vet was pretty decent. She sprayed something that calmed him down and then had me transfer him to her case.

The next day, I get a call to come get the cat who is apparently fine. The dogs are still roaming around at will. This makes it impossible for me to get my cat out of her case and into mine. I tried for 15 minutes, then I asked for help. The vet told me it way my fucking cat and my fucking problem. I could barely speak.

The receptionist then tentatively suggested I use their case and return it after I get the cat home. The vet responds that I can only do that with a fifty dollar payment.

I told her to fuck off. Took my cat in her case and walked out. I did return the case, but the vet was nowhere to be seen.

People think I’m using hyperbole when I tell this story, but I’m not. I fucking promise.

So how about you? Got an outrageous but true story you’d like to share. I’d enjoy reading them.

This is about James Gandolfini.

My sisters friend was in Miami on vacation at the hotel there was some sort of event and James Gandolfini started chatting up my sisters friend. She had no idea who he was. She lives in the country takes care of horses and hasen’t had a tv for decades. The topic of what each other did for a living came up. She told him what she did raised horses and he said he was an actor. She asked him if had done any exciting work. He said yeah he worked on the Suprano’s.

Oh yeah she replied I’ve never seen it but I’ve heard of it , like Scarface huh ? I think he might of been impressed that she was genuine she really didn’t recognize his popularity. They talked for apparently for an hour. He told her that if ever she was in NYC to give him a call he’d show her around, gave her his card.

I told this story to a friend at work and I got the bullshit rolly eyes look.

No way Jose.
I’m not going there.
Forgetaboutit.

alien spaceship

I thought you were being a spoilsport til I saw your last line. I’d leave that out too. Made me laugh.

Well, I believe you. Cool story too. Reminds me of a story Eric Estrada told on an interview. It was at the height of his popularity and he went to Hawaii or somewhere. He started flirting with this girl who convinced him that she’d never heard of him. So he married her.
I don’t know if the girl was just using that as a trick or not, but I don’t believe it ended well.
And not to hijack my own thread, but I saw her interviewed too. She said she left him because he peeled his feet on the kitchen counter. He’s lucky it was her. I’d have done more than just divorce him for that. blech :smiley:

I like to add unimportant embellishment to a story of this nature, to make it more entertaining, and if I can prove it, to increase the listener’s skepticism before the reveal.

Since I say a lot of outrageous things for the purpose of entertainment, I get a lot of initial skepticism. But I try to make sure the listeners know which parts are factual or fictional in the end.

The one nobody ever believes, because I don’t know if it’s true, is how a meteor broke the side mirror on my car. Well something broke the mirror as I drove, and around the same time an actual meteorhit the car of someone I knew, just a few miles away.

Not really stories, but details of my personal life seem unbelievable when I try to talk about them to coworkers. Like an over-the-top “I have a girlfriend, but she lives in Canada” kind of lie I’ve woven to use in place of my own life. (Caution, some sneak-bragging ahead, too…)

My ex-wife was a runway model, an ex-girlfriend did softcore modeling for Suicide Girls and similar sites, and my last two girlfriends were independently wealthy (one an offspring of old East Coast money who was herself an in-demand engineer in an esoteric field, the other a trust-fund granddaughter of a local wealthy import/export businessman) and offered the chance for me to quit working for a living and devote myself to my whatever caught my fancy. I wear high-end, fitted and tailored clothing (very metrosexual), go dancing nearly every weekend and was offered a job as a house dancer for the city’s top dance club, turn down one-night stands with frequency, teach a course at a university, have a substantial amount in savings, have a taste for wine and fine foods, etc.

The kicker? I work a really low-level manual-labor retail job. The guys I work with just see me in the work uniform–baggy blue t-shirt and jeans–on a daily basis, and I come and go from work in a beat-up 11-year old compact car. The average pay at the job happens to be pretty low, and my daily appearance is so average, that the idea that I can wear fine things, eat fine things, and have savings seems like a lie. I’m known for not being seen with women, for being very shy/reserved/introverted, a math-nerd/academic who can’t talk to women, so the idea that I’ve been with models and/or the wealthy elite seems bizarre, especially when I’ve been too afraid to talk to attractive customers. (If only they knew what was going on at the moment with a very attractive, young, female coworker who is being courted by every guy in the place…) The few people that believe me when I tell them I go dancing think I’m gay. I think they do believe that I teach, since I did finish school last year and am looking for PhD programs at the moment, but they still have problems imagining me in front of a class, lecturing, since at work I don’t talk much.

It does work in converse as well… the people I meet at clubs or at school have a hard time seeing me as being an introverted/shy person who really does go years without a date. They definitely don’t expect it when they find out I work for a notoriously low-paying retail chain. The club people also never believe me when they find out I’m going for a PhD in mathematics; someone who dresses well and dances without shame should not be a math nerd, apparently.

Why? It doesn’t really seem all that bizarre or unbelievable to me.

This didn’t happen to me, but some friends of ours.

Remember that movie The River Wild, with Meryl Streep and Kevin Bacon? Well, a good chunk of it was filmed on the Rogue river, in southern Oregon. We have some friends who are avid whitewater rafters, and they were floating the river during the filming. Apparently whoever was doing the filming would boat in a big load of food and supplies every day for the actors and crew. Well, my friends, who had no idea there was a Hollywood movie being filmed, stopped at their camp one evening to see what was going on. They figured it out pretty quick, and decided to hang around. They told everyone they were with the jet boat crew, and everyone believed them. They ate dinner, hung out with the crew, and even got their pic taken with Bacon and John C. Reilly. Afterwards they went back to their raft and continued downstream. Never saw the Hollywood people again. If it wasn’t for their pics I wouldn’t have believed them.

Early 70’s. My sister & a friend & I were hitchhiking to an evening church youth group in the University district of Seattle. A guy passes us in the inside (4 lane road) lane, spots us, slams on the break & pulls over to the side of the road about 50 feet in front of us & waves for us to get into his tan VW beetle. Getting in I notice that the front passenger seat interior handle is removable (he had to stick it in the door to open it). There’s no back seat. Being very young (early teens), sheltered **& stupid **we just accepted his “I’m getting the back seat recovered”. We sat on the floor. Stupid - but this was the era when you could pack a passel of kids in the back of your open pickup driving down the freeway. Also, this was beat up hippie car era. There was an arm half cast - the kind you secure with an ace wrap - lying on the floor. Introduced himself as “Ted”. During the approximately 10 minute drive he started giving us the creeps, mainly because he was obviously ‘old’ - like late twenties or thirty-ish and was coming on to our friend who was 13 or 14. Which wasn’t actually unusual because she looked about 16 and was stunningly beautiful and we’d had previous experiences with way older guys trying to make time. He was really friendly, asked us all about youth group, when it was over, because he’d be running errands and could easily pick us up and drive us home. While idiots, we did think he was out for something (probably to get closer to our friend) so we gave him the wrong time. He seemed like he was becoming really excited as the ride progressed but trying to hold it in. Creepy. We didn’t think he was dangerous. At the time ‘serial killer’ wasn’t in our lexicon. But he was wierd enough that we left church that night by the back & took the bus home instead of our usual moronic hitchhiking. Probably would have forgotten him completely - but we’d occasionally tease our friend about “your boyfriend Ted”.

A few years pass. I read ‘The Stranger Beside Me’ and got a big case of deja vu. The car, ‘Ted’, the cast. But the wierdest thing was that in the book’s picture section were photos of his earliest victims who were of a similar look. Which was our friend’s look. I never discussed it with my sister because she tends to anxiety episodes & I thought it might freak her out. Much to my surprise, about 5 years ago while talking about growing up with my dad he says, “you were stupid kids, remember when Ted Bundy probably picked you up?” Seems my sister had read the book years ago and talked to him about it but never me beacause she thought it would freak me out.

People I’ve told the story to sometimes think we misremembered or took in aspects of the book as memories. Maybe they’re right. I don’t know if it was really Ted Bundy. But I’m pretty sure as is my sister.

My all time favorite story from when I worked Armored.

I worked the downtown Minneapolis route and we picked up from all of the Hennepin County buildings, including the court houses and jail.

Now the jail is across the street from Minneapolis City Hall.* Kitty corner from the Hennepin County Gov’t Center. North of city hall is the Federal Court. The other side of that is Family Court. North of the jail is an office building hosting a lot of jail and law related offices (probation, etc) and 2 blocks to the east is Juvenile Court. There are more Federal, State and City cops in this area this area than most of the rest fo the state combined. Then add in all the security officers and you’ve got a fucking Regiment of officers within 3 blocks.

We go down to the Property Room to pick up. It is the World’s Slowest Elevator, because it is actually a hydrolic lift to handle lots of people and weight. You walk in one side on the ground floor, you walk out the other in the property room. It has this MASSIVE oversized camera inside it, I think deliberately so that people notice it.

Stand at the counter to pick up. The elevator is about 6’ to your left, the door from which prisoners are being released is about 12’ in your 4 o’clock position. About half the time, you end up riding up with one or two people who have just been let go.

One day I get onto the elevator. This guy who could have been a football linebacker gets on with me. I’m 5’11", 230. He’s like 6’6" or 6’8", over 300 pounds. Just a huge guy. I always positioned myself directly in front of the camera, facing it, when I rode up with people. I get on, he gets on. Stop right inside the door, looking at me. He looks at my gun. At my face. At my bag of money. Steps forward 4-6". Gun, face, money, short step. Closer and closer until he’s about 6" from me. I’m standing there smiling, not looking at him at all, but paying very close attention.

He gets right next to me and takes a deep breath. That’s the sign. He’s going to do something.

I turn to him mid breath, look him straight in the eyes, casually point my finger at the camera, HUGE SMILE on my face, and say in a very pleasant tone “How far do you think you’ll get?”

Breath chokes off. Head swivels at light speed to the camera. He takes a gigantic step backwards away from me, folds his hands together in front of his belt and looks down. Stands like that for the rest of the trip up, which, as I said, this is the world’s slowest elevator and it generally takes about 2 full minutes to go one floor.

Funniest damned thing I’ve ever been a part of.

• Small bit of trivia that the clock on that building is 1’ smaller in diameter than Big Ben and was the largest clock in the world when it was built.

Wow Ballardfam !

Of course, if it hadn’t been for my horse, I never would have spent that year in college.

I find it hard to believe that there wasn’t an exam room or something for you to use…

Joe

Not sure. I think some people found it hard to believe that a professional vet would behave in such a manner.

I personally found her behavior outrageous. You don’t?

I was in the room they offered, but it just had a pocket door with a pretty big gap at the bottom, which the dogs kept sniffing at.

But the cat was damn near feral, as I said. He was scared, so he was hissing and what have you. My simple request for some help should not have resulted in the response I got from a professional.

But see, some people doubt my telling is factual. :slight_smile:
Wow Ballardfam. Spooky. Thanks for sharing.

Well, yeah, it’s bad that she acted that way, but there are a lot of people who act unprofessionally. From the way you prefaced the story, I was expecting something truly out there, like the feral cat beating up all three dogs.

This isn’t my story unfortunately, but it’s a good one. Way back in the early 90’s one of my female cousins was hanging out in Kotor, Motonegro now, then Yugoslavia when a movie production company came in to film an English language movie. Because she was an American and knew the local scene well (which according to her the movie crew didn’t and were way overcharged for everything from food to bribes), she made friends with the American movie crew. The production company wanted to hire her to help with the locals and to watch over the American cast members. They even offered her lines in the movie as an incentive. But she was already tired of Kotor and wanted to do something more interesting than spend time working with the cast of a B movie so she turned the offer down. According to her, her exact words were “No thanks, I’m not interested. I’ve never even heard of this Brad Pitt guy.”

I swear to god the snow that came down just in the last few hours (last winter) cleared my fence…oh wait, I took pictures cuz people tend not to believe me.

Ah, I guess I oversold it. Sorry. :0)

Good picture Joey. That’s a lot of snow.