The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 11-04-2011, 06:12 PM

Ever get "the strap" in school.

I was seven years old, in Grade II when I first got the strap for printing an inappropriate comment on a card left over from a 5 cent kleenex package. That was 1957.

It was the first strap of maybe a dozen I've received in elementary school for talking and laughing in class as well as school yard fighting.

The strap , if I remember correctly was made of hard leather, perhaps the kind used in barber shops in days past to sharpen razors.

It was painful as hell. Painful for days. It left your hand and wrists black and blue. The number of lashes depended upom the severity of the infraction. You held your hands out, palms up, and if you moved just prior to the strike , you'd get extra lashes.

After I moved away from southern Ontario, I came to learn that most people I've mentioned this to never heard of the strap.

If you did, could you tell us which country, province or state ?

Last edited by The Flying Dutchman; 11-04-2011 at 06:13 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 11-04-2011, 06:22 PM

No. They'd have had to physically overpower me to apply it, and I'd have done my best to hurt them back. Almost certainly with parental approval afterward.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:27 PM

I got the strap once. I went to a private religious school in British Columbia. This would have been in 1978.

Although I don't believe in hitting children, it's the only time that I got hit where I do kind of think I deserved it. I had been lying almost daily to my teacher about "forgetting" my homework at home.

She took me into the broom closet and gave me the "this is going to hurt me more than you" speech. The "strap" was a giant eraser and she hit me on the hand with it, I think only one time.

I remember I was very sad and cried, but I can't honestly say I remember it hurting that much.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:32 PM

No. I know some kids were, but it was falling out of fashion when I was in school (1970-1980).
Old 11-04-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I went to a Catholic school in Baltimore in the 60s and I'm unaware of any corporal punishment there. I do remember one nun used to make troublemakers do pushups as punishment, but I was a goody-goody, so it didn't matter to me.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:53 PM

No, not the strap. But I did get hit across the palm with a ruler on a daily basis in primary school (circa 1963) for talking in class.

~ Sydney, Australia.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:11 PM

Never.
The closest I ever came to physical punishment in school was a crazy music teacher (but crazy awesome, all things considered. I really liked her) who informed us at the beginning of the year that she knew she wasn't allowed to hit us, and we should know she didn't give a shit about that particular rule. She would dramatically remove her rings and let them drop and clink on her desk when students were getting a little too unruly. If the unruliness continued she'd crack her knuckles and flex her fingers meaningfully, albeit still in silence; and defcon 2 was a purposeful stride to the offender's desk.
She never needed to go to defcon one - in fact I don't think she ever really slapped a kid. At least I never heard of it. The most violent physical act she ever actually did while I was in the room was suddenly slamming the lid of her piano. Not on someone's fingers - just to make us jump and make a point.

ETA: ooh, no, there was another one now that I'm reminiscing. The history teacher who would chuck chalk. Guy had a good pitching arm and deadly aim, too.

Last edited by Kobal2; 11-04-2011 at 07:13 PM..
Old 11-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Sister Reptile, first grade, Pennsylvania, mid-60s. The date, that is; I think her *age* was mid-100s.

Nasty-tempered person who slapped kids not just for misbehaving (I think that happened to me once or twice when I sort of "deserved" it) but also for making mistakes. She once said "Everyone who does not have xxx come to the front of the room". I misheard her - I had whatever it was (don't recall what it was -a form, or homework, or something) - and went to the front. She snarled "do you want me to WHACK YOU!!!".

Second grade, one girl in our class had a horrible report card. The teacher (an otherwise fairly nice young woman, not a nun) made her go back to the first grade and show it to Sister Reptile.... who smacked her so hard she fell down.

Sister T, in 4th grade, had a ruler she'd smack the kids around with. I don't think she ever hit me with it however.

Mrs. M, in 6th grade, was strict as hell (but the kind of strict where you LOVED her for it, not the nasty-tempered sort we saw with so many other teachers) and had a yardstick called her "Happening Stick". She'd swat students with it when she caught them goofing off. Never hard, just enough to get their attention. Every year, it wound up wearing out and breaking by the end of the year, but every year, the kids would take up a collection and buy a new one for the next class .
Old 11-04-2011, 07:32 PM

Nah, I was a good kid. Only really, really, really bad kids got the paddle, and as I recall, only my jr. high used the paddle anyway. We didn't have it in elementary and then we didn't have it in high school either. And I heard they quit using it in the jr. high too, a few years later.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:06 PM

All the schools I went to in Texas from about 1982 to 1992 included the paddle, but by the principal, and I never got it. I don't remember any girls ever getting paddled, though I was once sitting outside a vice-principal's office in middle school when a guy I knew got three whacks. It sounded...unpleasant. Though he came out acting like it was nothing much, being an adolescent male and all.

Then again, this was Texas. I knew people whose parents would do a lot worse to them than three whacks with a board. ZNot that I approve of paddling, ever!

Last edited by whiterabbit; 11-04-2011 at 08:07 PM..
Old 11-04-2011, 08:45 PM

We got the cane at my school, in Australia, in the early to mid-1980s.

The cane (across the upturned hand) was frequently given to boys in the boarding section of the school for various infractions, from talking after lights-out to rough-housing in the dormitories to failing to complete homework.

I received the cane on two occasions in Grade 7 (1 stroke, and 4 strokes), and once in Grade 9 (4 strokes). But i was a pretty good kid. I think the record among my Grade 7 friends was a total of something like 80 or 90 strokes over the course of the year, and the winner took considerable pride in his accomplishment.

The cane was usually administered at a side entrance to the Teachers' Residence, and if a teacher told you to "Go to the side door," you knew that you were going to be caned. Students standing along the wall by the side door were often taunted by other students as they awaited their punishment.

The school had about 300 boarding students and about 600 day students, but the cane was very rarely given in the day school. It was almost exclusively used in the boarding school.

By the time i left at the end of 1986, corporal punishment was declining in frequency, although some teachers still used it.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:00 PM

1981, 1st grade, paddle. It's part of what lead my parents to pull me out and homeschool me. He paddled me enough to leave bruises. They were damn lucky my family isn't the lawsuit type.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Late sixties/early seventies. Bumfuck farm country in northern California. Elementary School had the paddle, with quarter sized holes drilled in it. Administered by the VP. Stung like hell. Often in conjunction with having to do a perp walk out of class and down to the Principle's office. Often you had to agree in front of the whole class to go get your licks.

One elderly female teacher used to "give you a shakin'". Kinda and shake you about - didn't hurt we all found it odd rather than punishment.

Shop teacher in high school was missing is middle fingers. A great big bull of a man. He'd pick you up by the throat with one hand using the two good fingers, pin you to the wall with your feet off the ground, and then get in your face. I know for a fact that at a minimum he beat his wife and kids - they went to our church and one of the kids was a year behind me. CPS would be involved today but back then...I dunno, maybe they prayed to control the demons.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:40 PM

Yes, Catholic Boys' school 1975-1987, Melbourne Australia. The strap - a length of leather (maybe a shaving strop?) folded over - wasn't that big of a deal. It stung for a few minutes but that's about it. There were worse beatings. I remember one kid getting punched in the face by an old Jesuit priest.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:24 PM

Nope. I think the worst I ever got was a quick smack on the arm from a nun when I royally fucked up a computer. Other than that, some friends and I got spanked when we were in first grade for harassing the band practice during our lunch period. (It was just a quick smack, didn't even hurt). After we got back to our classroom, our teacher told us we weren't allowed to sit together at lunch anymore.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Charter Member

Once. In first form (1976), from my Latin teacher Fr Connolly, after my fellow desk-mate and I continued to play sword fights with our rulers under the desk, even though we had been explicitly told to stop.

The embarrassment was far worse than the actual physical pain. I made sure that I never received it again.

My mother was horrified when I got home from school and told her. My father was pleased. All he said was "about time".
Old 11-05-2011, 03:25 AM

Not me, but when I was in...wanna say 5th or sixth grade (so I would've been 11...12? I'm thinking early 80's at any rate. Wait - I remember John Lennon was killed that year, so 1980.) Our class was a sort of...open concept classroom? Anyway, it was adjacent to another 5th grade class taught by ironically enough, Mr. Haller, who made very frequent and liberal use of the paddle. The classes only had a 2/3rds-high wall between them or something weird so we could distinctly hear every swat and the kids crying. This happened like once a week or something.

Funny story (in retrospect, not at the time): Depending on the teacher the discipline was left up to the parents and one time in second grade a friend and I were joking around and writing notes to each other. I don't remember the context (I think we were both trying to be obnoxious and shocking or something) and I tore a piece of my paper off (remember that kind of paper where you drew a picture on top and then wrote the story on the wide lines underneath?) and wrote "Jenny is full of fucker" (LOL!) on it and passed it to her. She gasped and brought it up to the teacher, who came and pulled the rest of the paper out of my desk, taped the pieces together, called my parents and I got the biggest spanking ever from my dad. I can't believe out of all the "bad" things I did as a kid that was treated as the worst offense.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:26 AM

Gymshoe on the butt at least once for generally being a pain, short length of two-by-one in woodwork for the same reason, and a swat with the flat side of a cricket bat for swearing on the field of play. There was never any intention on my part of fighting like a tiger to preserve my precious, precious skin as, wherever I may personally be on the autistic spectrum, I've always been able to distinguish between "appropriate, proportionate and fair corporal punishment" on the one hand and "OMG child abuse!!111!one!" on the other. Also, I was pretty much aware that if you didn't cooperate with summary justice, there was always the option of something more formal and more serious.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:34 AM

Yes. Several times.
I grew up in an eastern suburb of Cleveland, Ohio and got my first taste of "the paddle" when I was in the 6th grade in 1975. The paddle resembled a cricket bat, with about 10-15 dime-sized holes drilled through it. I don't remember what my first infraction was, but I was to ride that wood a total of 7 times (5 swats each time) throughout that school year. Each time it was administered by my teacher, a 6ft+, burly Black man named Mr. Elkins. (Once I was swatted for mockingly calling him by his first name: "Joey") Since we held classes in open "pods" he'd take you into a side room with another teacher as witness. He'd have you bend over and touch your toes, and basically swing for all he was worth, sticking you on the buttocks! After each swat I'd crumple to the ground with a shriek, crying and swearing that I'd never do (whatever I'd done) again. (Until the next time.)

Two years later, in junior high, most of the teachers had turned in their paddles for "hand swats" which allowed the female teachers to dish out corporal punishment just as much as the men. (Until then I'd never seen a female teacher paddle anyone. They'd just take the offending student to the nearest male teacher.) The hand swatter was a piece of pink-orange rubber about 12" long x 2" wide x 1/2" thick reinforced with some kind of fiber threads just under the surface. At the slightest offense you'd be ordered into the hallway, and like the OP's strap, you were ordered to stand facing the teacher, palms up, stomach high, and given about 3-4 swats on each palm. They stung like a bitch, your palms/fingers would swell and be cherry-red, and your hands all but useless for the rest of the day.

By the time I got to high school in 1979 corporal punishment was falling out of favor, and I haven't seen hand swatters since leaving jr. high. But for the life of me I've never been able to figure out exactly where someone would buy something like these hand swatters that all the teachers seemed to have. The paddles were easily made in woodshop. But where would you go to get a pinkish-orange slab of reinforced rubber whose only purpose appears to be inflicting pain on a child's hand?
-------------------
Old 11-05-2011, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

Yep. In fact, to the best of my knowledge I was the last person ever paddled at my grade school before they banned corporal punishment. Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Never got one after that, which was 3rd grade if I recall correctly.

I earned each and every paddling I got. Not a one of them was undeserved. It was much better than what I got at home, which was also completely earned every time I got it.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:25 AM

I've been beaten with a mop. That hurt for weeks.

In my experience though, forcing kids to waddle around the track in a squatting position causes far more pain that lasts far longer than most beatings.

Seoul, Korea.

Last edited by HazelNutCoffee; 11-05-2011 at 05:26 AM..
Old 11-05-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mann Slaughter View Post
The paddle resembled a cricket bat, with about 10-15 dime-sized holes drilled through it.
If I remember the thinking at the time, the holes (supposedly) decreased wind resistance so you could swing harder/faster/stronger. Ugh.

Quote:
In my experience though, forcing kids to waddle around the track in a squatting position causes far more pain that lasts far longer than most beatings.
Lord, once in gym class when we were supposed to practice square dancing (wut? Yeah.) someone (one of the "tuff" girls - she smoked!) took the stylus out of the record player and flung it into the bleachers while the teacher wasn't looking. Our punishment (because, obviously, it was the fault of the entire class), was to sit on the floor with our arms held straight out in front of us. We chuckled, but after about 15 minutes everyone was sobbing with pain.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:48 AM

My parents paid good money to send us to a private parochial school to be beaten regularly. My father was a carpenter, and kept the school supplied in paddles of various sizes and shapes.

There was a female assistant principal in charge of the elementary kids, it was K-12 in one campus, and she administered paddlings to all the girls. Boys had to go the the junior high assistant principal for theirs. That woman used to wind up like Babe frognogging Ruth whaling on my ass, and freely admitted to me on more than one occasion that her goal was to make me cry. She felt that once my spirit had been broken, there'd be room there for the holy ghost or whatever, and hence I wouldn't talk in class or misbehave.

We used to get repeated spankings at home whenever the parents found out about getting paddled at school; at some point they either gave up trying to keep up or stopped caring as much. After that, just got home spanking for home infraction and school spanking for school issues.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Doors, USAF View Post
I earned each and every paddling I got. Not a one of them was undeserved. It was much better than what I got at home, which was also completely earned every time I got it.
!!! What on EARTH did you DO?!

interrobang
Old 11-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Several times, but only got '6 of the best' a couple of times, iirc.
The photo here looks about right for the usual belt or strap in Scotland.
I don't recall anyone getting it under the age of 9, I think, and the last time I got it would have been 4 strokes when I was maybe 15 in the early 1970s.
But back in Primary 7, one of the other form masters used it almost daily and it wasn't that unusual to speak to somebody from his class at break and discover that he had given the entire class the belt! Usually not 6, as that would have been a lot of effort punishing up to 30 boys, but 3 or 4 was almost common.
He was not a well-loved man.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meurglys View Post
Several times, but only got '6 of the best' a couple of times, iirc.
The photo here looks about right for the usual belt or strap in Scotland.
I don't recall anyone getting it under the age of 9, I think, and the last time I got it would have been 4 strokes when I was maybe 15 in the early 1970s.
But back in Primary 7, one of the other form masters used it almost daily and it wasn't that unusual to speak to somebody from his class at break and discover that he had given the entire class the belt! Usually not 6, as that would have been a lot of effort punishing up to 30 boys, but 3 or 4 was almost common.
He was not a well-loved man.
Well that is exactly what I'm talking about. Come to think about it, the principal was from Scotland, a highlander with a very thick accent.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

It was part of our normal school culture in Scotland up into the 1980s, although latterly (at the school I had attended at least) the punishment was meant to be meted out by the Headmaster or a Deputy. I believe. But back in my day all the teachers had a 'Lochgelly' and the authority to use it.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:40 AM

Strap, no. Paddle, yes. Had a sixth grade teacher, Mr. Flanagan, who had a wall of paddles...some made by former students in shop class. There was one that had holes in it for less air resistance, even.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:50 AM

Never.
We had the paddle in our school but I was so shy and sleepy I never got into trouble until the day I walked out after spitting on my economics teacher.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Paddle in our schools. All my teachers and administrators were told in no uncertain terms to apply it as necessary, then call my dad so he could reinforce it at home. Only got swatted once, in 7th grade, and Dad decided that the VP and I were both right, so I didn't get any additional swat at home.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:41 PM

Yardstick, mid-60s, Alabama elementary school. Then put in the coat closet to think about it.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Saskatchewan, 1970's - I didn't get the strap myself, but we were all aware that the principal had one and was willing to use it (it might have been a paddle - I'm not sure now). We did have a teacher who loved to use his yardstick - the boys would get it over their heads, and the girls would get it cracked across their desks. Let me tell you, you stop talking and start paying attention in class when you get a yardstick cracked across your desk.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:31 PM

Strap? No

Paddle? I can't even count that high.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:06 PM

Got caned across the tush when I was 12 in the 70s. "Spidey" (so named because he had hairy legs) and I were messing around with a pen and a piece of string instead of paying attention, and our teacher, "Pussy" (so named because he had a moustached that looked like whiskers - these were innocent times) lost patience, took us outside and let us have it with a thin cane he kept for the purpose.

Don't want to sound like one of those old farts who huffs and puffs about how the army or some other horror was the making of him, but getting caned sure got my attention. I got focussed real quick after that.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

I was in about 3rd grade when the laws prohibited corporal punishment in the schools, and before that, one teacher had a couple of paddles (wood, not leather straps). I only received corporal punishment once, and it was a literal slap on the wrist: I don't remember the exact circumstances, but it was done to everyone in the class on that occasion. Most teachers, though, preferred the Stern Talking To even before corporal punishment was prohibited.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:33 PM

Never. Maryland officially banned corporal punishment in schools the year I entered 1st grade and it had fallen out of favor before that, so I never saw a paddle, a strap, a smack, or anything. My mom told stories about the "Board of Education" at her school (North Carolina, 1960s), so I knew it existed, but the notion of being hit at school was mythical to me. It was well-known that it was Not Allowed and you could get the teacher in Very Big Trouble for it.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

I went to a Christian school in Arizona in the 70s and 80s. I got paddled a lot (wooden paddles). It was always the teacher who did it. They'd make you step outside the classroom (outdoors) and make you bend over, then they'd whack at you til they thought it was enough, then let you cry for a few minutes before having you go back in to class.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Chreeerist, the holes are drilled in the paddle to sting harder. Y'all shoulda gotten a few licks on each buttock since you obviously were not paying attention in science. It's not to reduce air resistance so you can paddle harder. Those goddamn holes each sting. A bunch of holes and you get more stinging.

Now maybe this is a question for the Perfect Master....
Old 11-05-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpalCat View Post
I went to a Christian school in Arizona in the 70s and 80s. I got paddled a lot (wooden paddles). It was always the teacher who did it. They'd make you step outside the classroom (outdoors) and make you bend over, then they'd whack at you til they thought it was enough, then let you cry for a few minutes before having you go back in to class.
This is exactly my experience.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:36 AM

Yes I got the strap at school. I was 12years old at the time. This was back in the 1960's. I received six of the best - 2 initially on my right hand, then 2 on the left hand and the final 2 on my right hand again. I throughly deserved it as I had been following a Special Needs Pupil who had Down's Syndrome and imitating his lumbering walk or gait. My hands stung but I felt really good as I was now naughty enough to be one of the bad boys who had been strapped. Approximately 15 other boys had been strapped in the same cloakroom immediately before me. I was the last to be strapped. We each received six of the best.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:56 AM

My boarding school in the 1960s not only allowed masters and prefects to cane boys for everything from smoking to getting the answer wrong, but we were also beaten with a sandshoe by house prefects for things like talking after lights out.
Needless to say, there was a culture of bullying allowed, particularly from older pupils to the younger ones.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:04 AM

Around 1990, I got smacked a few times on the hand with a ruler.
In 1994/95, I got punched in the head a couple of times.
Never the strap though.

Ireland, Catholic School.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:53 AM

Zombie Alert!

Do you ever really want to know what specific Google Search brings up these old threads?

Anyway - at school, I was quite good when I was a child and never got into trouble. But lots of other kids got paddled or strapped. Paddles were for girls and little ones, straps were for the older boys. Girls and littles got paddled by the nurse, boys by the principal.

I switched to another old-fashioned christian school when I was a highschooler, and I wasn't good then - they threatened to strap me for insubordination, but when they took me into the principal's office, I very calmly told them that if they laid a hand on me, I would go straight to the police, show them the marks, and then inform the police that the school had a senile legless 90 year old "teaching" a group of 15 kids from infants up to 5 years old in a locked room by herself.

They kicked me out instead, which I considered a victory.

I was very glad that they believed me, because if they had tried, I would have not been ladylike at all, and probably have gotten arrested for assault shortly afterwards.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:15 AM

I was caned for not being able to remember a teacher's name in grade seven. (Years later, at my first university exam, I forgot my own name, but fortunately they don't cane people for that.)

Later that year the head master tried to cane me for allegedly stealing a student's hat. A student who did not like me had made the entirely false accusation. Rather than tolerate being beaten for something I had nothing to do with, I chased the head master (a very small fellow) around the room whacking him with his cane until he agreed to not cane me. He had not been prepared to face rational fury from someone his own size. Interestingly, he never contacted my parents over the matter.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:22 AM

From 1966-1975, I went to a Catholic elementary school in New York. Corporal punishment was quite common in the Sixties (a lot of boys got whipped across the butt with yardsticks or wooden pointers).

I never got that kind of beating, but over the course of nine years, I got my face slapped twice and my hair pulled once.

By the time I was in 8th grade, corporal punishment was very rare, however, and by the time my youngest brother started attending the same school, it never happened any more.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:23 AM

I got shown the strap once, but was spared the actual strapping.

Ontario, 1970s.

(If I recall, I had brought some gel-type bath beads from home, and was throwing them at the French teacher whenever she turned her back.)

Last edited by Leaffan; 12-04-2013 at 10:23 AM..
Old 12-04-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapmenow View Post
Yes I got the strap at school. I was 12years old at the time. This was back in the 1960's. I received six of the best - 2 initially on my right hand, then 2 on the left hand and the final 2 on my right hand again. I throughly deserved it as I had been following a Special Needs Pupil who had Down's Syndrome and imitating his lumbering walk or gait. My hands stung but I felt really good as I was now naughty enough to be one of the bad boys who had been strapped. Approximately 15 other boys had been strapped in the same cloakroom immediately before me. I was the last to be strapped. We each received six of the best.
And you know what? Childhood experiences like that have little or no effect on your subsequent development into an adult.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:35 AM

I don't know the current rules, but in the late Eighties, high schools and junior high schools here in Austin, Texas still used corproral punishment PROVIDED that parents and kids agreed to it.

That is, at the start of the year, parents could sign a waiver saying if it was all right for school admnistrators to paddle their kids. And THEN, if the kid got in trouble, he'd get a choice between X number of whacks on the butt or detention/in-school suspension.

From what I could tell, though, boys who had that choice almost ALWAYS chose the whacks. Nobody likes pain, but almost all boys figured a beating would be over in a minute or less, and that was way better than wasting a whole afternoon in detention.

Last edited by astorian; 12-04-2013 at 10:35 AM..
Old 12-04-2013, 11:11 AM

No strap, but a paddle. It was for fighting in 4th or 5th grade, IIRC. I don't even think I was mad at the kid I fought, I had just never been in a fight.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:20 AM

Damn! Who knew there was so much beating going on.

First grade Catholic school in Baltimore in the 60's the worst we had to do was sit on our hands.
Third and fourth grade Catholic school the worst was getting your fingers smacked with a ruler. I never saw it happen to a girl and I never got smacked.
It was illegal in the public schools so it never happened.