Are there nettles in North America?

Well?

Do you have nettles?

Or just Poison Oak and Poison Ivy?

We do have plants called nettles, though I think they might be unrelated to the plant called that in Europe.

Yes, and they sting

Looks like the most common nettle, the stinging nettle, is the same in both continents.

My wild food sources suggest they’re the same - Urtica spp - including the common nettle Urtica dioica

Yes, we have nettles. They are nasty but not as nasty as poison ivy or poison oak. I still have a rash from a poison oak encounter two months ago.

What is the range of nettles in the US? Because the first time I ever (unwittingly) encountered them was on a visit to Ireland. I had never seen stinging nettles like that in the US. (And I have traveled very widely within the US.)

lots and lots of nettles where I live (coastal CA). Nettles require moisture and prefer high-nitrogen soils – common on compost heaps and manure piles, in stream beds, and sites of abandoned houses. OP maY have traveled widelY but obviouslY never bushwhacked down a Pacific coastal stream. Memorable.

I often read of nettle tea.

1. How are the nettles gathered and prepared, without the person being stung?

2. Why doesn’t the tea sting the mouth?

Nettles have hollow hairs on them that contain histamines. These hairs penetrate the skin on contact, which causes a burning sensation. The histamines can be removed or deactivated by soaking or cooking.

I assume that people use gloves when gathering nettles.

We had plenty of them where I grew up in Louisiana. I got stung by them a bunch of times growing up. In Ireland, to they tell you to pee on your legs if you walk through them? That is what we were always told.

In the UK I was told to rub a dock leaf on it. Was probably a load of bollocks.

Bah, call those nettles? I give you the fearsome Ongaongaof New Zealand, with a sting that can kill horses. Here’s another page that links to a medical report from 1993:

Probably. I was told that as a child too (in Ireland). I got stung by nettles a lot as a child, and never found the dock leaf remedy to be in any way effective (except for the brief cooling effect of rubbing any large leaf on your skin).

We certainly have them here in Wisconsin. I’ve eaten the leaves cooked as greens, and also had nettle tea. Cooked, they resembled something like collard greens, and the tea was surprisingly pleasant.

Wikipedia states they are native to every U.S. state except Hawaii.

They are common in Western WA

Nettles are everywhere here in the Pacific Northwest. And I always tell my kids to rub a dock leaf on their nettle stings. It’s a decent placebo.

I used to work at a camp most summers. As the nature center person, it was my responsibility to gather stinging nettle to show the kids what not to touch. I used heavy leather gloves. Probably latex gloves would be sufficient for prep. I don’t recommend gathering this way, but the top of the leaves don’t have stingers and you can touch them (I believe… there may have been some along the main vein. I’m sure somebody will be by to correct me)

This was near Big Bear in California and they were only around the various creeks.

I ended up grabbing some one time when I slipped on a steep trail. It stings like a --beep–. Supposedly you can rub mud or mugwort on it to kill the sting. I recommend the medicinal spray.

I live in New York State, and I had a crop of nettles from birdseed, I think, that grew in a planter on my deck. The flowers were all dead, so I was pulling them out and unbeknownst to me, grabbed a nettle plant.

Jumped up Jesus on a skateboard, it was like being stung by a dozen bees! Hurt like HELL! :eek: I actually called a horticulturist at the university who had a gardening show on the radio and described it, and he said it was probably a stinging nettle. So I looked it up and yeah - that was the culprit…Very interesting information on this plant in the wikipedia article. It has many uses other than causing extreme pain.

I never heard of them, and we ran through the woods as kids without much care. Of course, ticks were just being talked about and a little later came word of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (all c. late 70s-80s). Then, Lyme’s disease came along. In short, just because I never heard of them doesn’t prove they didn’t exist in my neck of the woods. Now, my daughter is growing up in a neighboring state (about about 75 miles away) was warned of stinging nettles (c. 2005-2008). Go figure!