Is this plant in my yard poison oak, poison ivy or anything else nasty?

It has 3 leaves and looks sorta like some images I found. It’s not in an area with trees. Just a large patch growing on the side of the house .

It’s not like any poison ivy or oak I’ve ever seen. Poison ivy is more of a vine than that and the stems are woodier. The leaves of neither one have sharp serrated points like that though they can have soft serrations. Poison ivy can be found all over the US. I think poison oak is confined to the coasts.

I don’t think it’s poison sumac either. I’ve never seen that one, but it doesn’t look at all like pictures. It looks like a common weed I’ve seen a lot, but I have no idea what it’s name is.
here are some pictures of the three
http://www.teclabsinc.com/tips-info/images-video/images/poison-plant-identification/

Agreed about the sharp serrations. And those aren’t like poison ivy triple leaves, there appears to be one leaf at the top of the stalk and pairs growing below it.

Those look like nettles to me. Use caution around them; I stepped in a nettle patch once and my ankles hurt like a mofo the rest of the day.

I know nothing of poison oak, but poison ivy is popular here.

The classic identifier is 3 leaves coming from the same stem (i.e. not two leaves coming off the stem a quarter inch below the center leaf)
Another common feature is an odd asymmetric shape to the outboard leaves, matched to each other like mittens.

When poison ivy gets mature, the vine is typically very hairy, though by the time you have gotten close enough to figure that out you probably got it on you.

Leaves of three…but most definitely NOT poison ivy (or oak)

It’s not even leaves of three. As others said, the OP’s plant has several pairs of leaves off a common vein. Poison sumac has leaves with the same geometry, but the shape is wrong and the veins on sumac are red.

It might still be something nasty, but it isn’t poison ivy/oak/sumac.

I don’t THINK it’s nettle; nettle has single leaves growing out of the stalk, not groups like these.

Of course, I am not a botanist, and you should definitely not grab them and yank to find out if I’m wrong.

I just noticed that you said your pictures “look sorta like” the plant in your yard. Depending on how close your plant actually is to those pictures, I might revise my answer. The plant in the pictures is not poison ivy/oak/sumac, but I’m not sure about yours.

Oh. Let me redouble my exhortation not to grab and yank, then.

Certainly not poison ivy/oak.

Google reverse image search didn’t have any definite hits. I know i shouldn’t guess, but I think they’re blackberry bushes.

In what part of the world are these plants growing?

I believe he means the plant in his yard “looks sorta like” some images of poison ivy/oak/sumac he saw.

I agree it’s none of those, and not nettles either.

I thougt nettles too. If you do an image search for “stinging nettles” you can see that there are a number of varieties. Some look pretty similar to the OP’s pictures.

The leaf shape may be similar, but as already pointed out the leaves are compound, with at least five leaflets. Nettles have simple opposite leaves. The plant is definitely not nettles. The resemblance is entirely superficial.

Looks like salmonberry to me.

Salmonberry has only three leaflets. This has five at least.

It may be some other kind of Rubus, however.

A locality would be helpful.

Ah, on a third reading, I think you’re right.

Assuming the yard is in the OP’s location in his profile (Atlanta), I don’t think it’s salmonberry. But I agree with you and shunpiker, it does look like something in the blackberry family / Rubus genus.

Some sort of Lamia?

I’m not sure what you’re referring to. If you’re referring to the dead-nettle, that’s Lamium. If you’re referring to the Lamiaceae in general, mints generally have simple leaves.

Young poison ivy is reddish in color, if that helps. It’s really quite pretty.
You could always crush a leaf and rub it on your leg and see what happens. Buy some calamine lotion first.