The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-08-2011, 01:14 PM
heathen earthling heathen earthling is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Interchangeability of US and Canadian coins

In my experience, Canadian shopkeepers don't really care if you give them a US coin or two, but Canadian coins are refused in the US, even very low denominations. Is this a legal or cultural difference?
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 11-08-2011, 01:24 PM
sitchensis sitchensis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2010
For a long time Canadian money was worth less than American money. Giving an American quarter to a Canadian would have been slightly over paying, doing the reverse would be slightly underpaying. My experience on both sides of the border is that a store that gets a large amount of its business from tourist money is willing to go the extra mile, and a store that rarely sees a tourist probably won’t help you out.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Duke Duke is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
I live right near the US-Canada border. You're right that a lot of it is cultural, but attitudes are starting to change. More and more businesses on the US side are accepting Canadian money at par; the big outlet mall here, for example, will always accept Canadian bills or coins.

There's still a lot of residual distaste about Canadian coins here, though. When I go to the bank to turn in wrapped (US) coins, they run a magnet over the coins to see if there's even one Canadian coin in there. If there is one, you have to unwrap them and dig through 'em to find that one Canadian penny or whatever.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Cap'n Obvious Cap'n Obvious is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Back when I ran a Dollar General down here in GA, we didn't have a problem accepting Canadian coins, and that was back when US money was worth more. Never had anyone try to use a Canadian bill, but we would've probably taken it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-08-2011, 01:45 PM
RealityChuck RealityChuck is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA
Posts: 35,916
Down here in Schenectady, Canadian coins were accepted equally with US coins. We'd just give them back in change; no one objected.
__________________
"East is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-08-2011, 01:50 PM
robert_columbia robert_columbia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
I've been on both sides of the border and have received at least one coin from the other country. It isn't a big deal if it is just one dime or something.

I found that Canadian stores in tourist areas generally accepted US dollars (though, you might get a better rate at a bank or an ATM).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Gary Robson Gary Robson is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Montana, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,449
It's often not the store's decision.

I own a store in Montana, which shares a long border with Canada. We get a lot of Canadians here, and I've never had a problem with a big of Canadian coinage. A couple of years ago, though, we received a memo from our bank saying they would no longer accept any Canadian money of any denomination.
__________________
---
Yes, I have joined the ranks of former moderators. Being a mod was eating my life. Now I'm a member just like you. Except smarter and better looking.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-08-2011, 03:05 PM
heathen earthling heathen earthling is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Why is each US and Canadian coin approximately the same diameter and colour as its foreign counterpart, if it has one?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-08-2011, 03:17 PM
KneadToKnow KneadToKnow is offline
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 24,121
I refused a Canadian coin once and had a lady get very irate with me. Her insistence was, "It's money!" My position was, "Not in this country. We don't accept pesos, either."

I completely understand places closer to Canada accepting them for good relations. Charlotte is not what I would describe as close to Canada.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-08-2011, 03:42 PM
robert_columbia robert_columbia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary "Wombat" Robson View Post
...I've never had a problem with a big of Canadian coinage....
How many coins are in a big?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Leaffan Leaffan is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_columbia View Post
How many coins are in a big?
A metric gross.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-08-2011, 03:55 PM
whitetho whitetho is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: USA, North Carolina, Cary
Posts: 2,163
Where I work (US), the candy machine recently gave me a Canadian nickel (5 cent piece) in change, but then refused to accept it when I tried to use it to buy something. However, the soda machine gladly accepted it.

Last edited by whitetho; 11-08-2011 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: Well, technically not "gladly" -- soda machines are nortoriously emotionless
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Gary Robson Gary Robson is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Montana, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_columbia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary "Wombat" Robson View Post
...I've never had a problem with a big of Canadian coinage....
How many coins are in a big?
Argh! BIT. A BIT of Canadian coinage.

Now I feel like a Looney.

Last edited by Gary Robson; 11-08-2011 at 04:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-08-2011, 04:35 PM
LSLGuy LSLGuy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Miami, Florida USA
Posts: 7,155
Better a Looney than a Looney Tooney

(Or is that Twony?)

Last edited by LSLGuy; 11-08-2011 at 04:35 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-08-2011, 05:15 PM
md2000 md2000 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Back when the northern Peso was worth about 70 real cents, I found that the vending machines on the NYState Thruway did not accept Canadian quarters and had stickers to say so. (I lost one trying it...).

Since Canada is 1/10 the size of the US, the US dollar until recently was worth a lot more, most places are within drivng distance of the border, and many people go south to shop, Canadians have no problem accepting smaller denominations of US currency. Several places even have a specific key on the computer till pre-programmed with the exchange rate to acept bills. Coins exchange at par, since the difference on a quarter at the worst time would have been less than a dime.

Generally, it's not as easy to pass Canadian coins in the USA. Why should it be? They're on use unless you go to Canada, especially if the local bank and some customers don't want them, and the vending machines might not take them. The coins are sufficiently different that it is possible to program machines to not accept them, it seems.

Of course, we occasionally see weirder more foreign coins that pass without a close look. Caveat emptor.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-08-2011, 05:36 PM
postcards postcards is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The other Long Beach.
Posts: 3,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2000 View Post

Since Canada is 1/10 the size of the US...
Have you looked at a map recently?
__________________
Talking Pictures
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-08-2011, 05:38 PM
andrewesque andrewesque is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by postcards View Post
Have you looked at a map recently?
I think md2000 meant in terms of population (Canada's population being approximately 1/10 of the US population), although this could've been explicitly spelled out.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-31-2014, 01:48 PM
What the .... ?!?! What the .... ?!?! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
What's the latest? I just found two looneys and a twoney. Where can I use them or convert them? A US Walmart maybe....are there WalMart's in Canada?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-31-2014, 01:55 PM
CoastalMaineiac CoastalMaineiac is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I live in Maine, and most places take Canadian coins (25 and lower) at par. Most places wouldn't even bat an eyelid at being handed a Canadian dime, nickel, penny, or quarter, and likely wouldn't even notice. They'd just throw it in the till, and the next person that needed change might get one in return.

It was that way even when Canadian dollars were only worth about 80% of a US dollar. Higher denominations, and they're going to either apply an exchange rate (which might not be as favorable as the market rate) or simply not take it.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-31-2014, 02:07 PM
Leaffan Leaffan is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by What the .... ?!?! View Post
What's the latest? I just found two looneys and a twoney. Where can I use them or convert them? A US Walmart maybe....are there WalMart's in Canada?
Just keep them as collectors items. When we overthrow the US they'll be worth more.

I think there's a Walmart in Toronto, and maybe one in Vancouver. Not sure.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-31-2014, 03:19 PM
jtur88 jtur88 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
I doubt if anybody in the US would accept Canadian coins larger than 25c, because there is no practical way for the merchant to exchange them. Carry them around with you, and next time you see a Canadian car in a gas station or someplace, ask if they will exchange them, they can take them home.

WalMarts are in every city in Canada, but that doesn't mean an American WalMart wants anything to do with Canadian coins. BTW, Canadian quarters will not work in US vending machine.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-31-2014, 03:22 PM
MikeS MikeS is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: New London, CT
Posts: 3,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
I think there's a Walmart in Toronto, and maybe one in Vancouver. Not sure.
If Wikipedia is to be believed, there are 382 Walmarts in Canada. Not sure what this has to do with how to spend loonies & twonies, though; I highly doubt that your average USA Walmart will accept them.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-31-2014, 03:24 PM
Leaffan Leaffan is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
If Wikipedia is to be believed, there are 382 Walmarts in Canada. Not sure what this has to do with how to spend loonies & twonies, though; I highly doubt that your average USA Walmart will accept them.
Where's that tongue-in-cheek smilie?

Like the US, Walmarts are everywhere here.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-31-2014, 03:35 PM
california jobcase california jobcase is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
I have six Canadian coins totalling $1.40. They're on my refrigerator, clinging to magnets. I guess all of them are nickels, really.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-31-2014, 04:11 PM
suranyi suranyi is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 6,615
I've never had a merchant in California accept a Canadian coin.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-31-2014, 08:09 PM
samclem samclem is offline
graphite is a great moderator
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 21,952
Considering that the Canadian dollar this past year is worth about 90 cents U.S., a Canadian shopkeeper will make out better, while a U.S. merchant will lose ten per cent of the transaction value, not to mention that no banks in the U.S. will exchange Canadian coins. Many will exchange Canadian banknotes.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-01-2014, 06:24 AM
Spoons Spoons is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 10,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by suranyi View Post
I've never had a merchant in California accept a Canadian coin.
Word. I once encountered a San Francisco merchant who refused to accept a Canadian penny. "Nope, it's Canadian, we cannot accept it."

Well, stupid me for mixing up my pocket change. But seriously. It was only one cent!

Compare that with the Americans who showed up at my retail store in Canada, threw US greenbacks on the counter and said things like:

"Here's some real money."
"This ain't that Monopoly crap you use."
"These are American dollars--you know, the international currency."

Yeah, it's only worth something if the non-American retailer is willing to accept it. We were, so I dealt.

And when I took US currency and made change in Canadian currency, as per store policy?

"What the @#$ am I gonna use this @#$ for? Gimme real money, US currency, now!"

As a sub-question--why do Americans hate Canadian currency? I can understand if they return from a trip to Canada with Canadian currency that is difficult to exchange. But why do Americans balk at using Canadian currency in Canada? Why do they so badly want to use US currency in Canada? They lose on the exchange rate when they pay in US dollars, so--why?

Aside to Americans: every Canadian bank will buy your Canadian dollars and convert them to US bucks on the spot. Visit a Canadian bank before you cross the border going home, trade your Canadian dollars, and you're fine once you cross the border.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-01-2014, 08:31 AM
Baker Baker is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Tottering-on-the-Brink
Posts: 14,893
When I was in Michigan for three years I never saw a Canadian bill but often saw the coins, which seemed to be accepted equally with American. I started saving the ones I got, in case I made a short trip into Canada.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-01-2014, 08:39 AM
Muffin Muffin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
The Royal Bank of Canada branch a block away from my office in Thunder Bay, Ontario, squirts out American and Canadian money, depending on which you want.

For deposits, you stuff whatever sort of currency you happen to have into an envelope, and the bank credits you with whatever the exchanged value is (no exchange fee, but I don't know if that applies to all accounts). I don't know if the valuation is set as the deposit time or as the actual calculation time.

For the occasional American coin, I toss it in a baggie which I bring along when I visit our southern colonies, and use when tipping or street parking.

I find that US bills smell foul, and they are difficult to differentiate quickly due to all being grey-greenish and of similar pattern. I find poly Canadian bills difficult to separate, but at least they don't stink. Fortunately, I rarely use or carry cash, other than a loonie and a quarter in the vehicle for shopping carts and parking meters that don't accept a card, and a hundred bucks for a tank of gas if the system is down.

For me it's not so much an American cash v. Canadian cash thing, but rather cash of any sort being a bit of an embuggerance when compared to online or chip card.

At the office I prefer not to be paid in cash, for there is a bit of extra accounting involved, but if I am paid in American cash I exchange at whatever the going rate is.

Folks have tried to pay me in Canadian Tire money (a hardware store coupon) and local scrip, which I have declined (side note: there really is a relatively recent Canadian Tire Bank that was long preceded by Canadian Tire money, which itself originated only about fifteen or so years after banks stopped issuing their own money.) One fellow tried to pay me with a chicken. I don't know if it was a Canadian chicken or an American chicken.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-01-2014, 08:46 AM
Muffin Muffin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
Compare that with the Americans who showed up at my retail store in Canada, threw US greenbacks on the counter and said things like:

"Here's some real money."
"This ain't that Monopoly crap you use."
"These are American dollars--you know, the international currency."

Yeah, it's only worth something if the non-American retailer is willing to accept it. We were, so I dealt.

And when I took US currency and made change in Canadian currency, as per store policy?

"What the @#$ am I gonna use this @#$ for? Gimme real money, US currency, now!"

As a sub-question--why do Americans hate Canadian currency? I can understand if they return from a trip to Canada with Canadian currency that is difficult to exchange. But why do Americans balk at using Canadian currency in Canada? Why do they so badly want to use US currency in Canada? They lose on the exchange rate when they pay in US dollars, so--why?
Freedom! Canadian currency is anti-patriotic. You should go back where you came from, Spoons, for using Canadian currency in what is nominally still Canada.

Do you ever come across Calgary dollars? Are they accepted commonly?

Last edited by Muffin; 11-01-2014 at 08:48 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Learjeff Learjeff is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
When I go to the bank to turn in wrapped (US) coins, they run a magnet over the coins to see if there's even one Canadian coin in there. If there is one, you have to unwrap them and dig through 'em to find that one Canadian penny or whatever.
Aren't US nickels still magnetic? Is a Canadian penny magnetic? (I don't believe they were back in the 60's & 70's.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetho View Post
Where I work (US), the candy machine recently gave me a Canadian nickel (5 cent piece) in change, but then refused to accept it when I tried to use it to buy something. However, the soda machine gladly accepted it.
See above: I doubt a machine can tell a US nickel from a Kanookel, and it's possible the machine was simply full-up on nickels. However, no machines accepted Canadian quarters (which are magnetic). Possibly dimes too, though I don't recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
I live in Maine, and most places take Canadian coins (25 and lower) at par. Most places wouldn't even bat an eyelid at being handed a Canadian dime, nickel, penny, or quarter, and likely wouldn't even notice. They'd just throw it in the till, and the next person that needed change might get one in return.

It was that way even when Canadian dollars were only worth about 80% of a US dollar. Higher denominations, and they're going to either apply an exchange rate (which might not be as favorable as the market rate) or simply not take it.
Me too, in MI. We didn't tend to see Canadian paper money, but we saw lots of coins. Shops would usually accept them, but keep them in the till and use them to make change. But eventually I'm sure they'd bite the bullet, because otherwise our pockets would tend to fill up with Canadian coins, and they didn't: there usually seemed to be about a 25% or less concentration, for those of us who didn't think about it much or use any particular strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Do you ever come across Calgary dollars? Are they accepted commonly?
Whuzzat? I'm in NC now, so don't see much Canadian currency since 2000. Is it something new? They might not migrate to MI much anyway.

Last edited by Learjeff; 11-01-2014 at 10:50 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Dr. Drake Dr. Drake is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjeff View Post
Aren't US nickels still magnetic? Is a Canadian penny magnetic? (I don't believe they were back in the 60's & 70's.)
Canadian pennies aren't anything now, having been discontinued. Our lowest coin is the nickel. But yes, for the last years of their existence, pennies were also magnetic. (Edit: if you have Canadian pennies, banks and merchants still accept them, but they're more or less out of general circulation now.)

Last edited by Dr. Drake; 11-01-2014 at 12:32 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Muffin Muffin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
The Calgary Dollar is a local scrip. Think of it as paper backed with booster-woo.

Neither American nor Canadian pennies can be picked up by a magnet. Our mint stopped distributing Canadian pennies nearly two years ago, so they are seldom seen in circulation today.

I can's say which coins are or are not able to be picked up by magnets, for that would depend on the composition on the year of manufacture, but of those laying about my house today, Canadian nickels, dimes, quarters, loonies and toonies can all be picked up by a magnet, but the 2005 penny can not and the American penny can not.

Sudbury's (or to be precise, Copper Cliff's) Big Nickel is made of stainless steel, but is probably too heavy to be lugged about in a coin purse. The Big Penny suffered the same fate as the real coin.

Last edited by Muffin; 11-01-2014 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-01-2014, 02:28 PM
jtgain jtgain is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
As a sub-question--why do Americans hate Canadian currency? I can understand if they return from a trip to Canada with Canadian currency that is difficult to exchange. But why do Americans balk at using Canadian currency in Canada? Why do they so badly want to use US currency in Canada? They lose on the exchange rate when they pay in US dollars, so--why?
Because you all have $1 and $2 coins. I hate walking back to the hotel with 14 pounds of change in my pocket.

I look in my wallet and wonder where I spent all the money. Then I realize that the pile of change on the dresser (when in the US would be not worth so much so I typically put it in the change jar) contains some real money. So I have to haul that out the next day, tighten my belt so my pants don't fall down from the weight, and try to spend it all before I leave because I will have to pay a fee to exchange the currency at a bank.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Dr. Drake Dr. Drake is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgain View Post
Because you all have $1 and $2 coins. I hate walking back to the hotel with 14 pounds of change in my pocket.

I look in my wallet and wonder where I spent all the money. Then I realize that the pile of change on the dresser (when in the US would be not worth so much so I typically put it in the change jar) contains some real money. So I have to haul that out the next day, tighten my belt so my pants don't fall down from the weight, and try to spend it all before I leave because I will have to pay a fee to exchange the currency at a bank.
Why would you ever have more than two of the $1 and $2 coins?

$1= one coin
$2= one coin
$3= two coins
$4= two coins
$5= bill

It's only if you don't spend the coins that they accumulate, but that would be the case with any denomination in any form. The same complaint could be made about US $1 bills. They just pile up! Then you have stacks and stacks of them and have to take them to a bank!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Icerigger Icerigger is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: The Keystone State
Posts: 3,252
I live near Erie PA and it is very common to receive Canadian coins as change. When I was a kid whenever I came across them I would through them into a box. I have about $400.00 worth of Canadian quarters, nickles and dimes amassed over 40 years. I don't know what to do with it?

Last edited by Icerigger; 11-01-2014 at 05:39 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-01-2014, 05:44 PM
suranyi suranyi is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 6,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
When I was in Michigan for three years I never saw a Canadian bill but often saw the coins, which seemed to be accepted equally with American. I started saving the ones I got, in case I made a short trip into Canada.
I often saw Canadian coins accepted in states near the Canadian border. But, as I said, not in California. A few times I accidentally tried to pay with Canadian coins in California and they were always rejected. Even pennies.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-01-2014, 05:48 PM
Leaffan Leaffan is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drake View Post
Why would you ever have more than two of the $1 and $2 coins?

$1= one coin
$2= one coin
$3= two coins
$4= two coins
$5= bill

It's only if you don't spend the coins that they accumulate, but that would be the case with any denomination in any form. The same complaint could be made about US $1 bills. They just pile up! Then you have stacks and stacks of them and have to take them to a bank!
Exactly. Spend as you go. I have exactly one $2 coin in my pocket right now: nothing else.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-01-2014, 05:49 PM
Attack from the 3rd dimension Attack from the 3rd dimension is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post

I find that US bills smell foul, and they are difficult to differentiate quickly due to all being grey-greenish and of similar pattern. I find poly Canadian bills difficult to separate, but at least they don't stink. Fortunately, I rarely use or carry cash, other than a loonie and a quarter in the vehicle for shopping carts and parking meters that don't accept a card, and a hundred bucks for a tank of gas if the system is down..
What is it about the funky smell of US bills. Is it just that they're more fabric and less paper, and retain a sweaty funk from handling?

Canadian plastic bills are fine except for two things:
1) They never unfold once folded
2) It is harder to spock or snape a five.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-01-2014, 06:40 PM
robert_columbia robert_columbia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attack from the 3rd dimension View Post
What is it about the funky smell of US bills. Is it just that they're more fabric and less paper, and retain a sweaty funk from handling?

Canadian plastic bills are fine except for two things:....
I think it may have something to do with the "paper" that US banknotes ("bills") are made, which is actually a cotton/linen blend. Old American money is like old gym socks. Old British pounds are like old library books. Those tend to get better with age. Usually. Occasionally you'll find one that's horribly funky, but libraries tend to smell better, on average, than locker rooms.

For the non-Americans here, the US is the only country where people eat at a restaurant, ask the waiter for a check, and the pay it with bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icerigger View Post
I live near Erie PA and it is very common to receive Canadian coins as change. When I was a kid whenever I came across them I would through them into a box. I have about $400.00 worth of Canadian quarters, nickles and dimes amassed over 40 years. I don't know what to do with it?
Take a trip to Canada? They'll be right eager to take that kind of money.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 11-01-2014, 11:26 PM
Lord Feldon Lord Feldon is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjeff View Post
Aren't US nickels still magnetic?
US nickels have never been magnetic. They're only 25% nickel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjeff View Post
See above: I doubt a machine can tell a US nickel from a Kanookel, and it's possible the machine was simply full-up on nickels.
A 1982-1999 Canadian nickel will probably be identical to a vending machine, but before that they were 99.9% nickel (which is magnetic) and after that they were almost all steel plated with nickel (also magnetic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Neither American nor Canadian pennies can be picked up by a magnet.
Around half of Canadian pennies made after 2000 are (or were, I guess) copper-plated steel, so they can be picked up with a magnet.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 11-01-2014 at 11:28 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-02-2014, 02:04 AM
dtilque dtilque is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: My own private Nogero
Posts: 3,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
I find that US bills [...] are difficult to differentiate quickly due to all being grey-greenish and of similar pattern.
This is the second time in recent threads you've made this claim. Do the newer, non-grey-green, US bills not make it to Canada? I have a hard time believing that.


Quote:
One fellow tried to pay me with a chicken. I don't know if it was a Canadian chicken or an American chicken.
At least it wasn't a pig. We wouldn't want to reignite the Pig War...
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-02-2014, 05:30 AM
Muffin Muffin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
This is the second time in recent threads you've made this claim. Do the newer, non-grey-green, US bills not make it to Canada? I have a hard time believing that.
The ATM near my office squirts out new US 20 dollar bills, and when using them in the USA I usually end up with 1, 5 and 10 dollar bills in change, so I personally do not often come across anything higher or come across US 2 dollar bills. For me, yes, the new US bills are grey-green and similar in pattern. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal...esigned_series

Have a boo at Canadian banknotes in the 5, 10 and 20 denominations -- the colour differentiation is much greater than the American banknotes, the images on the reverse are much more different from each other than the US notes are from each other, and the size of the denomination numbers is significantly larger (other than the US $5). https://www.google.com/search?q=fron...nknote+reverse

Last edited by Muffin; 11-02-2014 at 05:33 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-02-2014, 10:03 AM
jtgain jtgain is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Exactly. Spend as you go. I have exactly one $2 coin in my pocket right now: nothing else.
Because in the U.S. coins have so little value that we don't spend as we go. Change gets thrown in the jar in the bedroom and gets hauled to the bank once per year.

It seems that on vacation, I have a bulk of $11 to $17 dollar purchases: meals, admission tickets, souvenirs, etc. So I pay with a $20, and in the U.S. I would get bills back which go into my wallet to be spent along with the rest. In Canada, I get loonies and toonies which laden me down like a pack mule.

I do sometimes spend as I go because of this reason. But it takes a conscious decision to pay for a $12 fee by grabbing for change in my pocket. In the U.S. when someone says I owe $12, I wouldn't possibly have enough change to pay.

I know that we Americans and Canadians like to joke with each other about our currency, and admittedly either way is equally good. But until the U.S. eliminates the dollar bill entirely, dollar and two dollar coins won't take hold. It's more cost effective for the government to have those coins, but as an individual, carrying a near weightless bill in my wallet next to all of the other bills is better (at least in my mind) to carrying a heavier coin around.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-02-2014, 10:57 AM
FluffyBob FluffyBob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
You hit it on the head jtgain. As a Canadian I never use cash, I use debit or credit because I don't want a bunch of coins to carry around and jangle in my pocket. I do not want a bunch of small bills in my wallet either but coins seal the deal.

I don't have anything against Loonies and Twonies, they are kind of cool coins really (and there are always interesting special editions) I just do not want them in my pocket. There were a few irate old dudes jawing away about them when they first came out of course. Same guys that are pissed off about squirrels on their lawn.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 11-02-2014, 11:10 AM
Schnitte Schnitte is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Exactly. Spend as you go. I have exactly one $2 coin in my pocket right now: nothing else.
I second that. I live in Europe, where coins are used considerably in cash transactions, not least because the one and two euro coins are of some value - a wallet full of coins actually represents a non-negligible amount of money. Occasionally I hear people complain about how it bulks you wallet, but that's only if you spend bills without thinking. My approach is to try to either pay the accurate amount with a combination of bills and cash, or to pay an amount that will give me a round sum back. For instance, just today I had to pay 4.08 euros at a bakery. Just handing over a fiver would have given me awkward change in the form of coins. Instead, I paid with a fiver and added eight cents in coins, which gave me a round nice one euro coin back in change. Similar opportunities arise all the time. Just think a little, and you can avoid your wallted from bulking very easily.
__________________
PLEONASM: An army of words escorting a corporal of thought.

--- Ambrose Bierce
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 11-02-2014, 11:19 AM
jtgain jtgain is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Right. And the Presidential and Sacajawea dollar coins are cool as well, but as evidenced, nobody freaking wants them. The difference is that your government said that you don't have a choice: no more one dollar and two dollar bills. In that situation, those old guys bitching about the squirrels on their lawn are forced to adopt and they eventually get over it. I would guess that had Canada tried to implement loonies and toonies without the elimination of the bills, you would have similar results to the U.S.

If the U.S. wants a dollar coin, then it needs to eliminate the dollar bill. Change won't happen without that. And, as of course you now, the U.S. is far more conservative then Canada. We don't like change and must see a real and tangible benefit before going down that road.

That brings to mind an old joke:

Reporter interviewing a 106 year old Republican: Sir, you must have seen many changes in your life?

106 Year Old Republican: Yes, and I was was against every damned one of them!

Last edited by jtgain; 11-02-2014 at 11:20 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 11-02-2014, 11:22 AM
jtgain jtgain is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitte View Post
I second that. I live in Europe, where coins are used considerably in cash transactions, not least because the one and two euro coins are of some value - a wallet full of coins actually represents a non-negligible amount of money. Occasionally I hear people complain about how it bulks you wallet, but that's only if you spend bills without thinking. My approach is to try to either pay the accurate amount with a combination of bills and cash, or to pay an amount that will give me a round sum back. For instance, just today I had to pay 4.08 euros at a bakery. Just handing over a fiver would have given me awkward change in the form of coins. Instead, I paid with a fiver and added eight cents in coins, which gave me a round nice one euro coin back in change. Similar opportunities arise all the time. Just think a little, and you can avoid your wallted from bulking very easily.
I learn something new every day. In the U.S. and I assume Canada, men don't carry coins in a wallet, we carry them in our pockets. Women sometimes have a change purse that they carry inside their larger purse, but they largely carry coins in their pockets as well.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 11-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Schnitte Schnitte is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgain View Post
I learn something new every day. In the U.S. and I assume Canada, men don't carry coins in a wallet, we carry them in our pockets. Women sometimes have a change purse that they carry inside their larger purse, but they largely carry coins in their pockets as well.
My impression is that in Europe, pretty much everybody carries around a wallet that consists of three parts: A coin compartment, one or several note compartments, and a number of card holders. At some stages it was fashionable to use a money clip for banknotes, and some people carry banknotes and coins loosely in your pocket, but it is my feeling that the predominant practice is the wallet as described.

Last edited by Schnitte; 11-02-2014 at 11:36 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 11-02-2014, 11:49 AM
jtgain jtgain is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitte View Post
My impression is that in Europe, pretty much everybody carries around a wallet that consists of three parts: A coin compartment, one or several note compartments, and a number of card holders. At some stages it was fashionable to use a money clip for banknotes, and some people carry banknotes and coins loosely in your pocket, but it is my feeling that the predominant practice is the wallet as described.
Our wallets do not have a coin compartment. It folds either in half or in thirds, and has a place for bills. It typically has a clear display to insert a driver's license or other form of identification. It also has places to keep credit cards and other rectangular cards like grocery store club memberships.

I do, however, have in my possession a change purse that was used by my great-great grandfather who died in the 1940s. Everyone, including me, who sees it for the first time wonders why a man would carry a change purse. But that was probably a product of the times. When you could buy a bacon, egg and toast breakfast, with coffee, for fifty cents, then coins were freely traded.

The only time, and I mean the only time, I use coins in the U.S. is when my bill comes to something like $30.07. If I am paying with two twenties, then I might dig in my pocket for a nickel and two pennies so that I get a ten back instead of a bunch of change.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.