What is the legality of your car's brights?

This is something that has been perplexing me for a while. As I spend a decent amount of time on the road, I see an awful lot of people driving with their brights on at night; regardless of the driving conditions.

Now many of these people will do the courteous thing and turn off their brights when they see an oncoming car but many do not. I usually never drive with my brights, as I just don’t really see the necessity for them. However, with the ubiquity of “bright-light driving” I would see, the other day I just flicked my brights on to “see what I’d been missing”.

Ehh, yeah it was brighter and it expanded the range of visibility; so I guess I could understand the desire to use them. However, I forgot that I had my brights on and it wasn’t until a passing police car flashed me that I remembered to turn them off.

What are the exact laws regarding the use of bright headlights on a vehicle? I mean, they are part of your vehicle, so it obviously can’t just be outright illegal to use your brights, but could I have been pulled over by this cop for not turning my brights off?

I can’t quote the law on the issue, but I remember my girlfriend’s father getting a ticket in the 80’s for not dimming his brights to oncoming traffic.

If I remember California law correctly, it’s 500 feet for oncoming traffic, 300 feet for traffic ahead in your travel direction.

Here’s what the Missouri driver’s handbook says:

As it’s written, it seems to assume you use your brights unless there’s another vehicle around.

Dimming to traffic is ticketable, as is leaving brights on while in residential areas (at least in some Chicago suburbs).

IANAL and IANALEO, but I do know some and will ask them and see if I can get a ruling on this. (as it applies here in Texas)

It may not be illegal, but IMHO it does constitute “jerkish” and inconsiderate behavior. :mad:

Confirm California, and Nevada have the same rules as above. I never interpreted it that way, though.

I’ve never noticed this to any great extent, though. Stupid question, but could it be that they are driving bigger cars than yours or have much brighter lights? I do get frequently near-blinded by SUVs who seem to have eye-seeking lights.

I’d gladly pay more taxes to have a traffic cop do just one trip a day during evening rush hour on the 10 major expressways in the Chicago area – just to ticket the ass-wipes with the behemoth SUVs and the high beams constantly on and riding up to 0.5" inch on your tail in stop-and-go traffic.

Idiots.

Page 72-73 in the handbook.

There are a lot of vehicles with really bright head lights on the road now and it can be seriously blinding when they leave the high beams on.

I would consider not using your high beams when you are away from other vehicles a poor driving practice and a safety hazard. Your field of view is just too short with low beams on for safe driving at highway speeds. High beams are not only brighter, they are aimed higher so you can see further ahead. Wildlife, pedestrians, and road hazards are very real. You may do a lot of driving before encountering hazards, but when you do, you need that extra time to react.

Not dimming for oncoming traffic and when following behind another vehicle is also unsafe. Being unaware or inattentive is not a good excuse. Usually other drivers will flash you if you leave your brights on, and you should do the same. It is not aggressive, it is just communication.

Sorry, I meant that I agree with your original post, not that I needed a cite from you.

When I did driver training a long time ago, they told us to remember those two numbers. You see, the multiple choice test did not have those answers as redundant, e.g. it would ask “how far should you turn off high beams when following: a) 100 ft, b) 200 ft, c) 300 ft, d) 400 ft” but it would stop before it got to 500.

Headlights are just getting brighter. LEDs are a prime offender - the newer Audis (I think) have a weird-shaped array of LED lights that are almost painful. I’d hate to see the “bright” version.

Around here, it seems like everyone’s in a game of one-upmanship with wattage and number of bulbs. Pickups, in particular, are notorious for having the regular lights, fog lights, “driving” lights and so forth all on at the same time.

I live smack in the middle of deer country. We use our brights whenever possible.

I also dim my lights as soon as I see the headlights of an oncoming vehicle (unless, of course, I’m on a looooong straightaway and they’re still a mile away). Often I’ll dim my lights just before the oncoming car’s light crest the hill. That way they can see me do it and still have time to dim theirs before they’re in my face.

When you regularly use your brights, dimming them just becomes habit.

using brights is needed where animals might cross the road.

you may never use them in high traffic res.

I opened this thread just to find out what the heck brights were. Don;t you guys call them high beams?

I used to, but in the mid-80s, everyone I knew started calling them “brights,” so I followed suit. Personally, though, I think “high beams” sounds better.

My Audi doesn’t have LED headlights. That’s only an option on one model, the brand-new-this-year generation of the A8…you’re unlikely to see many of those. But I do have a “strip” of LEDs around the bottom of my headlight housings that serve as daytime running lights. They aren’t likely to be considered blinding in any conditions, and they themselves dim when the headlights are on.

As for my headlights, they’re High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps. They don’t have a proper “high beam” setting in that they don’t actually get brighter. What happens when you turn on your “brights” is that the internal aperture cutoff is lifted, and the beam is allowed to spread upwards. When dipped, the beam has a sharp cutoff at an approximately horizontal level. Turning on my high beams is always a bit disappointing, because it doesn’t really illuminate things more, it just illuminates more things.

Same for me. Never heard the term brights before. Its either high beams or full beams.

In the UK changing between full beam and dipped is really common during driving so its surprising to hear someone say they never use full beam when driving.

A big-ass-enough SUV might appear to have its brights on just because it sits so high. Low-beams have a pretty sharp cutoff a few degrees below horizontal. On a small car, that means the low-beams would look like “brights” if you were looking at them from one foot off the ground. But with the bigger trucks and SUVs, the low-beam cutoff might just happen to be above the rear window of a small car.

So what you’re seeing probably isn’t the “brights” left on accidentally or maliciously. Just a side-effect of a bigass car.

I think part of the problem is that low beams have gotten brighter. With glare from oncoming traffic being the biggest problem, why have they allowed brighter and brighter low beams?

Yes those people with SUV’s with the headlights at eye level to somebody in a car and drive a way too close, are very poor excuses of a human being. Likewise anybody that doesn’t dim.

Check out the yellow orange lenses. I have a set of yellow orange goggles that fit over my regular glasses. They give kind of a yellow cast to everything, but dramatically cut glare while leaving almost normal vision otherwise.