The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 11-13-2011, 03:04 AM
Charter Member

Are there any radio stations playing all-Christmas music in your area this year?

For as long as i've been paying attention, every city i've lived in has had at least one radio station that switches to an all-Christmas music format sometime in November and stays there until New Year's. Here in the Seattle market it's usually the same station every year, one of the soft rock stations, and last year we had two stations playing Christmas music starting even before Halloween.

Not this year, though - neither of the stations that did Christmas music last year are doing it this year, and i've flipped through the dials a couple times the last few days and haven't found so much as a do you hear what I hear. I even asked Chacha and it couldn't find one for me.

Dopers - is there Christmas music on your radio this year? Is there a national downturn in the all-Christmas station fad, or are us Washingtonians just especially grinchy? Is this part of that war on Christmas i've heard so much about?
Advertisements  
Old 11-13-2011, 03:19 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Charlie 97.1 fm here in Portland went all-Christmas on November 9th.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:57 AM

No.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:55 AM

The local soft rock station switches over to all-Christmas on November 18. A few years ago they used to wait until the day after Thanksgiving, so this is a slightly faster schedule, but not as bad as it could be.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:49 AM

Not yet. Two years ago (maybe three, my memory is for crap) one of the local stations started on November 1st. But it was well-received and since then most now wait until at least Thanksgiving.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:28 PM

In Chicago, 93.9 The Lite is playing Christmas music. They just finished playing "Rudolph" by Gene Autrey. I checked their website; I do not listen to Christmas music until the day after Thanksgiving.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
No.
I cannot imagine why!
Old 11-13-2011, 02:49 PM

The "light rock" station in Boise - 107.9 FM - started the Christmas music yesterday (the 12th).
Old 11-13-2011, 04:05 PM

Detroit has three stations right now playing all-Christmas music. I stumbled across them while driving last night and started yelling at the radio "Are you fucking kidding me? Fuck you. Fuck you all. This is why people subscribe to Sirius. You're driving yourselves out of fucking business."

To the best of my knowledge, there was only one station that did it last year, though I could easily be wrong about that.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:20 PM

As far as I know the only station that does this is 101.9 Lite FM WLIF Baltimore (they have a catchy jingle that sticks), but I don't think any other Maryland or Delaware stations do. However, most of the time I either listen to Sirius XM or my iPod.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

In St. Louis we have two (count 'em!) stations that switched to full-time Christmas on Nov. 6 -- the lite rock station and one of the oldies stations.

I know some employees at one of the stations. They despise the Christmas music (or, at least the idea of playing it full time in early November) but the station managers insist people enjoy hearing it, so that's how it's gonna be.

As for me, I told them I'll hear them again on Dece. 26. The only proper time for any Christmas music on the radio is all day Dec. 24 and until dinner on the 25th.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peedin View Post
In Chicago, 93.9 The Lite is playing Christmas music. They just finished playing "Rudolph" by Gene Autrey. I checked their website; I do not listen to Christmas music until the day after Thanksgiving.
That station pushed the Christmas music window earlier every year for a while; I think they start at the beginning of November now. I suspect they'd move it even earlier if they thought it'd get ratings.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:35 AM

Two that I know of in Boston - 103.3 WODS and 105.7 WROR. The funniest thing is they both have Wacky Morning Show! crews, so the segue from the Wackiness! into Karen Carpenter singing "I'll be Home for Christmas" is always kind of jarring.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:31 AM

95.5 FM, the mellow pop/rock station in Austin, usually starts playing Christmas songs 24/7 from Thanksgiviing though Christmas day itself.

That wouldn't be so bad, except that there's so LITTLE variety in what they play. WAAAAY too much of Elton John's "Steping into Christmas" (but never "Ho Ho Ho/Who'd Be a Turkey at Christmas"), way too much of Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime," way too much "All I Want for Christmas is You," and waaaay too much "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas."

So much Christmas music out there, and they seem to re-play the same crap over and over.

Last edited by astorian; 11-14-2011 at 10:32 AM..
Old 11-14-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian View Post
So much Christmas music out there, and they seem to re-play the same crap over and over.
A year or two ago, there was an article in the Chicago Tribune about that very topic. The program director at Lite FM (the station here which goes to all-Christmas music in early November) said that they've done extensive research on it, but that there are only about 40 or 50 songs which their listeners really seem to like to hear. If they play too much that's outside of that set, they get complaints...and, so, those 40 or 50 songs get absolutely played to death.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

One of the things I like about Sirius/XM satellite radio is the holiday music stations they have during the season. I don't know when those start, though, and I won't be listening to them until Thanksgiving.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:45 AM

Here in NYC, the easy listening channel 106.7 LITE FM goes all-Christmas the day after Thanksgiving.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:32 PM

I got hired to teach English in Japan between ThanksGiving and Christmas. By the time I left, I was really looking forward to living in a nation that didn't emphasize Christmas so much (and so commercially).

It was my pleasure to learn that the Japanese don't have a Christmas Season -- and my tremendous horror to learn that, starting November 1 and running through the end of February, they instead celebrate "Winta Gifto-ken" [Winter Gift Season) and play all the world's favorite 40 holiday songs by all the worlds ten-thousand different cover artists over and Over and OVer and OVEr and OVER non-stop and, since my school was in the downtown/shopping area of my little town, they piped the stuff out over indoor and outdoor speakers as a public service.

---G!?
Before rejoicing about that light at the end of the tunnel,
realize that you might just be seeing the front end of the train...
Old 11-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

UPDATE: The soft rock station near me switched to Christmas music today.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Two that I know of in Boston - 103.3 WODS and 105.7 WROR. The funniest thing is they both have Wacky Morning Show! crews, so the segue from the Wackiness! into Karen Carpenter singing "I'll be Home for Christmas" is always kind of jarring.
Not only that, but they seem to get earlier every year. WROR waited until Thanksgiving in the very recent past, but they've been playing all Christmas Music All the Time for a weeek or two already.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:52 AM

The 'classic rock' station here rolled over and is holly jolly f'ing Christmas 24/7 as of last week. I don't know why that one, the 'soft rock/easy listening' stations are still droning on as usual.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:55 AM

B101 in Philadelphia does it every year, and they pump it into several of my workstations. Ugh.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:23 AM

magic 94.9 in the tampa bay area has been all christmas for a couple of weeks now. they used to start working the christmas music in every few songs after thanksgiving, i'm not sure when they started this. i remember back in the day when they did all christmas music on christmas eve only.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:11 AM

Last night I switched over to the radio and found that the station that does it every year--a pop-rock station--has made the switch. I'm not sure exactly when it happened but I'm pretty sure it was still normal about 4 days ago. It's horrible. I just stop listening to it until January. Last year they started really early but I guess they toned it down a little this time.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Nashville has at least one. I stop listening to the radio for a month and a half.

StG
Old 11-20-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangermom View Post
Last night I switched over to the radio and found that the station that does it every year--a pop-rock station--has made the switch. I'm not sure exactly when it happened but I'm pretty sure it was still normal about 4 days ago. It's horrible. I just stop listening to it until January. Last year they started really early but I guess they toned it down a little this time.
From what I've heard around the dial, November 18 seemed to be D-Day for starting Christmas music on a lot of stations. I think even Sirius/XM (which devotes like, four or five channels to all holiday tunes) started that day.

Although that's still better than kicking off the 24-hour Christmas music at the beginning of November, which used to happen around here on a couple of stations. They've finally realized that was really stupid, however.

I used to be a radio DJ years ago. I remember the system we'd use ... work in a holiday tune every few hours as you get into December, and then gradually increase the frequency so you might be playing one every hour by Christmas Eve. We never, NEVER considered the possibility of going all-Christmas, all-the-time. I can't imagine where that notion even came from.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:30 PM

One of the pop/light rock stations here went all Christmas Friday. I'm fully expecting the other one to do so this week. One year there were at least four stations here playing all Christmas all the time, and a couple of them started November 1st. That was a bad year...
Old 11-22-2011, 04:24 PM

We generally listen to Sirius/XM (and really miss the XM programming). Holly has already started. I think Holiday Pops and Holiday Classics start up in December, as does Radio Hanukkah.

In Toronto we've already got 2 stations started with Xmas, CHFI 98.1 and K-Lite 102.9 (Hamilton).
Old 11-22-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piepiepie View Post
As far as I know the only station that does this is 101.9 Lite FM WLIF Baltimore (they have a catchy jingle that sticks), but I don't think any other Maryland or Delaware stations do. However, most of the time I either listen to Sirius XM or my iPod.
Lite 101.9 switched over a couple of days ago. I turned it on Sunday, and there it was. "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer."
Old 11-22-2011, 04:33 PM

I count 3 of the stations programmed in my car that have switched to 24/7 Christmas music. I assume there may be more, I just don't listen to them. The first one switched about 2-3 weeks ago.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Charlie 97.1 fm here in Portland went all-Christmas on November 9th.
I have removed them from my car stereo until next year because of this.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:08 AM

The Wave 94.7 in Los Angeles is the new Christmas music station here. I have to admit that after a couple of drinks it sounds warm and comforting.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:00 AM

Seems like every goddamned one of them by late December.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grestarian View Post
It was my pleasure to learn that the Japanese don't have a Christmas Season -- and my tremendous horror to learn that, starting November 1 and running through the end of February, they instead celebrate "Winta Gifto-ken" [Winter Gift Season) and play all the world's favorite 40 holiday songs by all the worlds ten-thousand different cover artists over and Over and OVer and OVEr and OVER non-stop and, since my school was in the downtown/shopping area of my little town, they piped the stuff out over indoor and outdoor speakers as a public service.
That sounds like something that would go over pretty well in America's retail world. I will not be at all surprised if 10 years from now, we're supposed to be celebrating "the holiday season" well into February.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:17 AM

94.5 FM WWSW in Pittsburgh.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:38 PM
SDSAB

Yes, two FM stations in Cleveland, both the week before Thanksgiving - too damn early, say I! Bah, humbug!
Old 11-26-2011, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
The Wave 94.7 in Los Angeles is the new Christmas music station here. I have to admit that after a couple of drinks it sounds warm and comforting.
KOST 103.5 went all-Christmas as of last week. So now there are two all-Christmas stations in the greater L.A. area. Unfortunately, I don't get The Wave on my radio at work, so it's either KROQ or my iPod till January unless I want to be subjected to Celine Dion or some other Christmas glurge.

Last edited by Lucky 13; 11-26-2011 at 03:34 AM..
Old 11-26-2011, 06:50 AM

On the way up to Moms on Thanksgiving I found only one station playing Christmas music. I remember from 2003 finding several (Dad was in the hospital and that was the last time I saw him alive, which is why I remember it clearly.)

On the way home at 3 AM the next day I found many station playing Christmas music.