What are the most fair and unbiased news websites?

I’m sick of the yellow journalism, misleading headlines, fear-based, pandering to stupid people major news websites. Enough is enough.

I want to know where the fair, unbiased news websites are for people who don’t need to be tricked into clicking on links, be scared of nonsense, and have everything written for the lowest common denominator.

Websites, blogs, whatever. I’m desperate. Also, if anybody has any respectable sports websites I’ll take that too. The Syracuse situation with ESPN has ruined all my respect with them, not that they had too much of it.

Fox News

I usually go to the BBC news website to get a more neutral viewpoint. They have a U.S. and Canada news portal as well.

If you are in the UK, The Daily Mail and the Morning Star are the most “reliable”

There is no single unbiased source that I know of. YOu have to read several sources and know their biases and think about the stories to see if they make sense and are factual. Try NBC, CBS and ABC News for mainstream news, then MSNBC for center-left and Fox for far-right media (I really don’t know of any big media outlets that I would consider center-right, though CNN seems to be drifting that way. For left wing or as its called, progressive media, to balance out Fox News, try The Young Turks on Youtube (there are no real progressive outlets on cable or broadcast television, MSNBC proved that when they let Cenk Uygar go).

I’d say the best way to check for bias is to look at organizations that do lots of fact-checking to see who’s lying, and nail members of either party if they do lie, like Politifacts and the Columbia Journalism Review. And remember, if one ideology/party/whatever seems to be getting nailed for lying a lot more often than the other(s), it might be because they are lying more often than the others, rather than bias on the part of the measurer.

Frankly, boards with both progressive and conservative commentators like The Straight Dope can be helpful in sorting out bias too, because it’s hard for anyone to come up with a whopper without getting called for it by someone on the other side.

Takes a bit of research, but it’s good to know who’s lying and who’s not.

I would suggest you try the recommendations above. And, also watch Al Jazeera English: Live Stream - Watch Now - Al Jazeera English a few times and compare.

Yeah, Al Jazeera and the Beeb (BBC) are excellent for pointing up the deficiencies in US media.

The Onion

For US news, I listen to NPR and visit their webpage.

The Daily Mail? Really? The only time I read the Daily Mail is when I want to read about how those cheeky chaves are earning their ASBOS or about how immigrants are ruining the UK.

Democracy Now! is left leaning, but covers a lot of issues ignored by news cycle oriented media.

I also visit NPR, BBC, Al Jazeera

He’s joking.

I’m not a Christian Scientist, but I like the Christian Science Monitor. YMMV.

Al Jazeera, BBC, NPR.

Good one :smiley:

I’m scared you didn’t call out the Morning Star, it’s the Communist Party’s official newspaper.

Ditto, it’s international coverage is top-notch

I have to say, I thought I’d HATE it, but it’s a reliable well written and presented news source.

I like The Hill for political news as well as Roll Call. Roll Call is part of Congressional Quarterly though and so some of their stories are locked behind a very expensive pay wall. And another vote for the Christian Science Monitor, BBC and Al Jazeera.

I’ve been visiting a website lately called news360. It’s pretty cool. It lists tops storeis from all over, in a variety of categories, and then provides links to dozens of different articles about the store from different sources. This way you can compare articles about an incident and see how its being reported.

http://http://news360.com/

If you want, you can create an account which will anylse your Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ accounts and provide stories based on the content you choose for those sites but it’s not necessary.

depends on what kind of news you wanna hear about:

1. If u want to find information about the middle east, avoid both west (BBC, Fox, etc) and middle east/muslim (Al Jazeera) news agency, because they tend to be biased for their own goods. I usually check xinhua (chinese news agency) because obviously, china is “neutral”

2. If u wanna find out about China, avoid both west and chinese and japanese and korean news agency themselves, because all the west/japanese/korean news agency tend to prefer news that destroy china’s image…while u know about chinese freedom of press itself…

3. If u wanna find out about the west (USA/europe), use western news agency themselves…because they are the most neutral for news about their own!

There’s no completely neutral news agency…well, actually there is one…9gag.com