Christmas Bonuses

So, Christmas bonuses. Do you get one? How is it calculated? Does it depend on your time with the company, or your productivity/sales/billable hours to the company? Do you know what others in your company get for their bonus? Tell me all about it!

I’m expecting my Christmas bonus in the next week. I have no idea what it is based on, all we get is a strongly-worded admonition not to disclose our bonus amount to anyone else in the company and a confused (and confusing) doublespeak speech about how it will vary according to our status (full or part time) or contributions to the company (read: sucking up to the boss) and some other vague unquantifiable factors. I am interpreting this to mean whatever the boss wants each employee to get. I’ve never encountered this in any other employment; other places I have worked either had a standard bonus ( cash) that everyone in a certain pay grade/job description got, a certain amount per year of employment or a standard bonus for everyone (usually a ham or a turkey or a grocery gift card.)

Share your bonuses!

I was a schoolteacher, so no bonuses. Friends get them though, and it seems to be a % of the money they’ve brought to the company. They do not work on commission. My daughter gets a couple hundred dollars from her boss.

Never had one or even ever heard of anyone ever getting one.

ETA: Apart from movies and message boards.

I’ve got one from the past 3 companies I’ve been with. My current company gives ~$500 or so pretax.

Federal employee on production. I get a percentage based on a combination of quantity and quality over the past fiscal year.

We get an end-of-year bonus, based mostly on company performance. I’ve been at other companies which offered this, as well, but the only place I’ve ever been which gave an actual “Christmas bonus” was the first place I worked out of school, which gave everyone a big turkey or ham every year – very popular with the guys who worked in the plant.

Our ‘annual bonuses’ are paid just before Christmas (we got them yesterday in fact), so everyone thinks of them as ‘Christmas bonuses’.

It’s a percentage of salary package, varying by seniority, service etc. I got about $7,500 (after-tax).

Once when I worked for a movie theatre (yes, they insisted on “re” rather than “er”) corporation they gave us logo keychains. (Shiiiiiiiiity) The original owner of the company before he was taken over by a chain used to give us McDonald’s gift certificates, which was cool.

Now that I’m a pharmacy tech in a hospital making 4X as much I get a $10 Starbucks GC.

I get about a day’s worth of pay (net) for a Christmas bonus, plus about that much in a gift card for a department store directly from the doctors I work for. The actual amount is calculated on how long you’ve been there, but I don’t know the formula or anything.

Our real annual bonuses are at fiscal year end, which is during the summer. It was nearly a week’s pay this year for me.

When I worked for an IP law firm we got actual Christmas bonuses. $1000 bucks for full time and $500 for part time. This was 13 years ago and that was real money. this was just cash for bing an employee.

My husband gets a year end bonus, tied to company milestones, his performance review, and other economic factors. He actually doesn’t get it til feb or so, whereas mine was given at Christmas.

I just got my bonus today. I believe I’ve gotten one every year I’ve worked for my current employer as a full-time employee. The first year was, I think, between $150 and $200 dollars. This year was … more.

I don’t know if there’s a formula they follow for awarding bonuses. It’s been larger every year, so years of employment is probably a factor.

I also get a turkey for Thanksgiving and a pork loin for Christmas! I love my employer.

Where I’m at, only managers are eligible for bonus.

OTOH, I get 25 weeks short-term disability at 100%, which I will make good use of in a couple of weeks after some surgery, so I’ll trade a bonus for an expected six weeks paid “vacation”

Last year, my husband got a honey-baked ham right before Christmas and a bonus in January. He’s now off till Feb to recuperate from the back surgery he’s going to have on Monday, so unless someone from his office drops the ham off, we won’t be getting that this year. If they do the monetary bonus, it’ll just show up in our checking account like his pay does.

I worked for DoD for a bazillion years. The last 3 or 4, we had end-of-year performance bonuses based upon our evals, years of service and something else I’ve forgotten. This was the now-defunct NSPS pay scheme. They switched us back to GS, and as a retiree, I’m not eligible. I’m going to ask my former coworkers if they’re going to do bonuses this year.

Eons ago, my dad used to get killer bonuses - sometimes as much as 5 figures - but he was a company VP. His base pay wasn’t all that great, but when the company did well, they shared the wealth.

I work for a public university. We don’t get bonuses. This year, I didn’t even get a raise. But I still have a job, so I’m not complaining.

We do get a longevity award, based on years of service and a percentage of income, with a max cap amount. The award kicks in after 6 years of employment. If it was based on percentage of base pay only, it would amount to a nice chunk of change for me - well into 4 digits. But the cap keeps it down to where it’s about $450 or so after taxes. And it comes about the first of December, so it’s a timely bit of money that can be used for Christmas shopping, etc.

I work for the government, I get nuthin’.

Bonus? Who gave you a bonus? I cut out bonuses this year!

Jelly of the month club. The gift that keeps on giving all year long.

When I worked, the company never ever gave bonuses. They never gave raises. They never gave holiday greetings. Once they retracted half of a company holiday.

My husband on the other hand often gets a generous bonus at Christmas; this year it was equivalent to 8% of his salary.

When our business was structured differently, my department worked under a different entity, and we got Christmas bonuses. Two weeks pay! Before that, we got a check for profit-sharing. We don’t get anything anymore.

:frowning:

I get an annual bonus around Christmas that’s based on a combination of company performance and personal contribution. Our group has to meet certain percent of plan expectations and then our individual efforts toward reaching and surpassing that goal are weighed in. Mine has ranged from 7% of annual salary during downturns in the energy sector to 30% during the highs. My wife’s is usually from 30 to 80% of her annual salary so those can be quite lucrative.