The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-10-2011, 10:23 AM
OpalCat OpalCat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 19,294
Can you buy individual (or low quantity) prescription bottles? Especially really small ones?

I've done some searching and all I can find is bulk orders of like several hundred bottles at a time. Here is what I'm looking for: really small prescription bottles. When I got sick in Curaçao the doctor came to my hotel room and checked me out, then prescribed me some things, then a hotel staff member went to the pharmacy and picked up my medication. Two things (the antinausea and the antidiarrheal) came in ziplock bags with those cards of pills that you push through the back in them (never saw that in the US from a pharmacy before, kinda different) and the Xanax came in a pill bottle. But it was a really small pill bottle. It's about 1.5" tall and maybe 3/4" across, with a screw off top. It has a printed label with my prescription on it, just like any Rx bottle.

This was a year and a half ago and I still keep that bottle, because it's SO HANDY for keeping small amounts of my medication with me in my purse. I keep a handful of my Xanax in that particular bottle, since it's marked Xanax and all, but I'd like to keep a 5 day (5 pill) supply of my Adderall in one as well, since I'm supposed to take my second pill of the day at lunch time, and right now having the whole bottle in my purse takes up a lot of space, and I'm worried about pill boxes coming unfastened (it's happened before). The third thing I'd like to keep is some antidiarrheal which I already keep in the previous mentioend push-thru card, but after being in my purse for a while, the card starts to get worn and I'm afraid it will "breach" and the pills will become useless. So having two more of those tiny pill bottles would be super handy. But I don't know where or if I can find them.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Do you live somewhere (foreign country...?) where they give prescriptions in said bottles? I wonder if for a small fee they'd be willing to sell two little bottles to a customer if the situation was explained...

Anyway my basic question is is it possible for me to find these, or not? If not, what are some good alternatives? The pill boxes I use for the week are 7-day and obviously too big for my purse. The little tiny (often novelty) pill boxes I see have a little button on the side that opens the lid and I'm afraid of that getting pushed in my purse and the pills dumping out.

Maybe a science store would have small jars? I just don't know where to look. I can't be the first person to search for such a thing.

Some things I've found that I could fall back on if I can't find what I'm really looking for:

pill boxes that are keychains

And a number of round disc-shaped or rectangular pill boxes, but they look like the kind with the little button on the outside that I'm afraid will open in my purse...

If nobody knows about the actual pharmacy bottles that I'm talking about, do you have a recommendation for a small pill box that has been tried-and-true for NOT opening in a full purse and spilling everywhere?

Would it be worth my time to try to contact a pharmacy in Curaçao and request two empty bottles, if I offered to pay for them and shipping? Or would they probably have regulations against doing that?
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 12-10-2011, 11:22 AM
kenobi 65 kenobi 65 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
I have a small prescription bottle, a lot like what you describe, but maybe a little larger, which I keep in my briefcase to carry a small supply of my diabetes meds. I originally used a bottle from one of my old prescriptions for the meds (I now get my meds mail-order, three months' worth at a time, and they come in large bottles), but I lost the old bottle. I just went to a local pharmacy, and asked the pharmacist for a small empty bottle. She happily gave one to me -- I told her I'd be willing to buy it, but she didn't even charge me. I'd suggest showing them the bottle you currently have, and see if you can get one of a similar size (I know I've gotten bottles that small from U.S. pharmacies in the past).

Last edited by kenobi 65; 12-10-2011 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-10-2011, 11:27 AM
OpalCat OpalCat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 19,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
I have a small prescription bottle, a lot like what you describe, but maybe a little larger, which I keep in my briefcase to carry a small supply of my diabetes meds. I originally used a bottle from one of my old prescriptions for the meds (I now get my meds mail-order, three months' worth at a time, and they come in large bottles), but I lost the old bottle. I just went to a local pharmacy, and asked the pharmacist for a small empty bottle. She happily gave one to me -- I told her I'd be willing to buy it, but she didn't even charge me. I'd suggest showing them the bottle you currently have, and see if you can get one of a similar size (I know I've gotten bottles that small from U.S. pharmacies in the past).
Really? Because even when I've gotten a prescription for, like, 4 pills, they still give me the standard sized bottle, so I assumed that was the smallest they had. I may have to check my pharmacy! Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Digital is the new Analog Digital is the new Analog is offline
Or do I have that backwards?
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mount Crumpit
Posts: 3,612
Another option may be tupperware type containers. I've seen some pretty small ones. I don't know if they come as small as you're looking for, but it may be worth checking out.

-D/a
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-10-2011, 11:51 AM
doreen doreen is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Woodhaven,Queens, NY
Posts: 3,863
My husband uses a really tiny ,round Tupperware or Rubbermaid container- I think it was sold to hold salad dressing. It's about a half inch high, and maybe an inch and a half diameter
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-10-2011, 11:55 AM
davidm davidm is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Near Philadelphia PA, USA
Posts: 5,784
I have one of those keychain things and I find it really useful. Is there a reason you don't want that?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-10-2011, 01:08 PM
OpalCat OpalCat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 19,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
I have one of those keychain things and I find it really useful. Is there a reason you don't want that?
Well, I don't want it on my keys (already way too much crap on there) and if it's not on my keys it seems like all the extra dangly parts would get caught up in other stuff in my purse. Maybe an unfounded fear, but it's what I envision.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-10-2011, 02:05 PM
VOW VOW is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
I've seen pill caddies in a smart looking tapestry "wallet" designed to carry in a purse. Pill bottles have a way of coming unscrewed in a purse (don't ask how I know!) and the little wallet might be what you are looking for.

This place http://www.pillthing.com/categories/pill-boxes/page-1/ has everything under the sun!


~VOW
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Antigen Antigen is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: was Montreal, now MD
Posts: 7,065
They sell Advil and Tylenol in little travel size tubes.

I keep one in my purse with an emergency supply of allergy meds, Tylenol, that sort of thing. It's big enough for 10-15 Tylenol caplets.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-10-2011, 02:36 PM
aruvqan aruvqan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Eastern Connecticut
Posts: 15,091
In a pinch I could send you the bottle a scrip for furosemide came in, it is relatively small, whatever the smallest regular bottle CVS uses. I keep spare indocin caps in it in my computer bag. Though I do like this rectangular pillbox from that pillbox web page.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Bumbershoot Bumbershoot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2007
There are some small nalgene polyethylene bottles on this page that might work for you. There are some polyethylene containers that are nice also, but they have snap lids while the nalgene bottles have screw-top lids.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-10-2011, 02:57 PM
StuffLikeThatThere StuffLikeThatThere is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
I worked in a pharmacy years ago, and nitroglycerin pills came in little glass bottles with screw top lids that sound like what you're looking for (except perhaps you don't want glass; I don't know). I don't know if the pharmacy would be able to give/sell you a couple of those or not.

I can tell you that these pill boxes from the link that VOW provided are the bomb. They do not fall open in your purse and, while not advertised as waterproof, and probably not immersible, survive an accidental spill with aplomb.

My son has CF and requires meds throughout the day. I have several of these boxes filled with his meds and squirreled away in my purse, my car, my husband's car, the church building, and grandma's house. I got them from the drug company that makes the meds. The drug company stopped giving them out, and I was pretty bummed. I'm going to go order about 10 of them right now. VOW, you've made a stranger's day.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-10-2011, 04:34 PM
OpalCat OpalCat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 19,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
I've seen pill caddies in a smart looking tapestry "wallet" designed to carry in a purse. Pill bottles have a way of coming unscrewed in a purse (don't ask how I know!) and the little wallet might be what you are looking for.

This place http://www.pillthing.com/categories/pill-boxes/page-1/ has everything under the sun!


~VOW
Huh, this one: http://www.pillthing.com/products/sm...-case-item-633 looks like it might be about what I'm looking for...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-10-2011, 04:53 PM
TriPolar TriPolar is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 22,129
I've seen several pill carriers sold at the CVS. Some have multiple compartments. You could also just ask a pharmacist if he has a little bottle like you could have. I suggest you carry the label or paperwork from the pharmacy with you when you go out. You can be arrested for carrying pills without accompanying proof of a prescription (you wouldn't be convicted if there was a valid prescription somewhere, but why go through the hassle because of some idiot cop).
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Cub Mistress Cub Mistress is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 2,486
I made a pocket pill case for a man out of a an empty chapstick tube. You pull out the little cup-like thingie that holds the chapstick, pry off the bottom part that you turn to raise the chapstick, snip off the screw-threaded stick inside, wash throughly and pop the cap back on. You can even leave the label on the tube for a more discreet carry.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Joey P Joey P is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 20,218
If I was still in college I totally would have bought this.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-10-2011, 05:28 PM
LurkerInNJ LurkerInNJ is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Go to Sephora and request a sample of a lotion or cream. They will put it in a tiny little plastic snap container that you can reuse. It's about 1" x 1/2" and it fits pills perfectly.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Digital is the new Analog Digital is the new Analog is offline
Or do I have that backwards?
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mount Crumpit
Posts: 3,612
Another thought - Dramamine pills come in a pretty compact container.


-D/a
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-10-2011, 07:19 PM
davidm davidm is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Near Philadelphia PA, USA
Posts: 5,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpalCat View Post
Well, I don't want it on my keys (already way too much crap on there) and if it's not on my keys it seems like all the extra dangly parts would get caught up in other stuff in my purse. Maybe an unfounded fear, but it's what I envision.
That makes sense. I'm pretty sure though, that you can remove all of the dangly parts and just keep the bottle. Just a thought, do whatever works for you.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-10-2011, 08:36 PM
voguevixen voguevixen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Would something like this work? You have to buy a 10-pack but it's really cheap:

http://www.thesage.com/catalog/LipBa...JarsandSifters
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-11-2011, 05:55 AM
Senegoid Senegoid is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 6,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
I've seen several pill carriers sold at the CVS. Some have multiple compartments. You could also just ask a pharmacist if he has a little bottle like you could have. I suggest you carry the label or paperwork from the pharmacy with you when you go out. You can be arrested for carrying pills without accompanying proof of a prescription (you wouldn't be convicted if there was a valid prescription somewhere, but why go through the hassle because of some idiot cop).
(Boldface added)
Do you have a cite or other additional information about this?
I use pill organizers, and carry the with me regularly when I go anywhere for more than a day.
So I have to carry some kind of stack of documentation with me at all times, for all the kinds of pills I take? What kind of paperwork might I have anyway? Prescriptions are all sent from doctor to pharmacy electronically now (at least where I go). At best, I get some kind of sales receipt from the pharmacy.

I never pictured that mere posession of a small quantity of some pills was an arrestable offense.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-11-2011, 06:32 AM
Oakminster Oakminster is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
35mm film used to come in a plastic container about that size. Black plastic, with a snap off lid. I have not bought film in years, but I doubt things have changed much.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-11-2011, 08:02 AM
Joey P Joey P is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 20,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
(Boldface added)
Do you have a cite or other additional information about this?
I use pill organizers, and carry the with me regularly when I go anywhere for more than a day.
So I have to carry some kind of stack of documentation with me at all times, for all the kinds of pills I take? What kind of paperwork might I have anyway? Prescriptions are all sent from doctor to pharmacy electronically now (at least where I go). At best, I get some kind of sales receipt from the pharmacy.

I never pictured that mere posession of a small quantity of some pills was an arrestable offense.
I had a friend in college get in trouble for having two Vicodins in the bottom of a ringbox. The Vicodins were hers from having back surgery and she didn't want to bring the prescription bottle so she just tossed them in the ringbox. She did receive a ticket for either having them in an illegal container or having them without a prescription.
Of course, her room was also in the process of being raided by three Sheriffs who had already found a lot of marijuana, several pipes and bongs and I don't even remember what else. This was just another controlled substance in a college dorm.
I have to imagine if you where stopped for, say, speeding and you had a pill box on your passenger seat, it might be a different story. I doubt anyone would even bat an eye at it.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Lynn Bodoni Lynn Bodoni is offline
Creature of the Night
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 20,803
I've never seen a pharmacy that doesn't sell the little zip seal plastic bags for pills, which are very handy for traveling. I find these things to be very useful both as pill containers and as craft supply containers, and they generally won't open in your purse. If you are still worried about them opening, though, you can put them in a larger zip seal bag, or in some other container.

American Science & Surplus has a variety of Useful Bottles and Other Containers, but the selection will vary. AS&S is always fun to browse.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-11-2011, 09:24 AM
doreen doreen is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Woodhaven,Queens, NY
Posts: 3,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
I have to imagine if you where stopped for, say, speeding and you had a pill box on your passenger seat, it might be a different story. I doubt anyone would even bat an eye at it.
Not only that, it's going to matter what type of pills they are- antibiotics, blood pressure meds, etc , are not controlled substances like Vicodin. If I was carrying Vicodin or some other controlled substance, I'd keep it in the original pharmacy bottle, as that's documentation of the prescription.

Last edited by doreen; 12-11-2011 at 09:27 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-11-2011, 09:26 AM
LSLGuy LSLGuy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: St. Louis, MO USA
Posts: 6,184
I found a travel-size package of Advil once. As originally sold it had 10 pills in it & is a tube about 3/4" x 2". At a quick glance you'd mistake it for a tube of Chapstick though it's a bit shorter & fatter. The end cap is semi-childsafe; it requires a firm push down then 1/4 turn to open. I can't imagine it coming open accidentally. It makes an ideal purse / pocket pill case for several typically-sized pills / caplets.

I haven't looked for a new one recently since I have the only one I need & after 2 years it's still working well. But it ought to be easy to find. If a Walgreens or equivalent drug store doesn't have it, try looking at a well-stocked convenience store / gas station. I'm vaguely remembering that I found it at a convenience store, but I wouldn't swear to it.


As to ordinary larger sized pill bottles, just ask your pharmacy person to give you one. They cost next to nothing & if you're any kind of regular customer they'll be happy to oblige.

Last edited by LSLGuy; 12-11-2011 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: Out! Out Foul typos!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-12-2011, 06:28 PM
OpalCat OpalCat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 19,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
35mm film used to come in a plastic container about that size. Black plastic, with a snap off lid. I have not bought film in years, but I doubt things have changed much.
For reference, those 35mm canisters are about twice as big, in both height and diameter, as the pill bottle I got in Curaçao. Actually probably more than twice in diameter, by a bit.

I asked at CVS and the smallest pill bottles they stock are the standard size that most prescriptions come in, sadly

I've definitely gathered some good links from this thread; I'll likely buy one of the options I found here. Thanks--sorry it took me a while to get back to this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-12-2011, 07:00 PM
ratatoskK ratatoskK is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Beyond the Pale
Posts: 3,894
This isn't exactly what you're describing, but I bought some of the Indestructo Pill Box for my son. They are relatively small and people seem to like them.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-12-2011, 07:10 PM
ratatoskK ratatoskK is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Beyond the Pale
Posts: 3,894
p.s. -- My link looks like the same thing that StuffLikeThatThere recommended.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-12-2011, 07:44 PM
obbn obbn is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
FWIW, I use the small keychain pill container that you have a link to in your OP. It is small, but holds a good amount of medication. I can keep 15 morphine, 10 Adderall, 5 Lipitor and a few Percocets in it. What I like about is that it is waterproof and that it has a screw top on it. That lessens the chance that it will come open in my pocket. I don't keep keys on it, but I recommend it.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Av8trix Av8trix is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
I travel for a living, so I'm very into taking up the least amount of space possible for the gear I want to tote. I like to keep a selection of medicine cabinet type stuff on hand for the "what ifs," like tylenol, aleve, prescription stuff, etc. I found the little round bead organizers sold at craft stores like JoAnne's or Michaels to be a great solution. They're sold in packs of 6 and up. Here's a link to the same thing on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Storage-Stacka...d_sim_sbs_hg_2

They're about an inch across, and each one screws in to the base of the next. You can take one with you, or screw another on, and take two, or a whole column, depending on your needs. Mine have survived a few years in an outside luggage pocket, with all the abuse that entails.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Senegoid Senegoid is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 6,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen View Post
Not only that, it's going to matter what type of pills they are- antibiotics, blood pressure meds, etc , are not controlled substances like Vicodin. If I was carrying Vicodin or some other controlled substance, I'd keep it in the original pharmacy bottle, as that's documentation of the prescription.
So, in general, how does a cop know what kind of pills he's looking at if they aren't in their original bottles? I mean, sure, maybe SOME particular pills are well-known and recognizable, but most are rather non-descript. Many just have some kind of code-number like KU-118 or TL-384 stamped on them.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Ruby Ruby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
I'd like a small container to carry pills that can be labeled with the drug name, mg. and dose. Why is that so hard?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-12-2011, 09:35 PM
OpalCat OpalCat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 19,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8trix View Post
I travel for a living, so I'm very into taking up the least amount of space possible for the gear I want to tote. I like to keep a selection of medicine cabinet type stuff on hand for the "what ifs," like tylenol, aleve, prescription stuff, etc. I found the little round bead organizers sold at craft stores like JoAnne's or Michaels to be a great solution. They're sold in packs of 6 and up. Here's a link to the same thing on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Storage-Stacka...d_sim_sbs_hg_2

They're about an inch across, and each one screws in to the base of the next. You can take one with you, or screw another on, and take two, or a whole column, depending on your needs. Mine have survived a few years in an outside luggage pocket, with all the abuse that entails.
Intriguing...
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-12-2011, 10:07 PM
doreen doreen is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Woodhaven,Queens, NY
Posts: 3,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
So, in general, how does a cop know what kind of pills he's looking at if they aren't in their original bottles? I mean, sure, maybe SOME particular pills are well-known and recognizable, but most are rather non-descript. Many just have some kind of code-number like KU-118 or TL-384 stamped on them.
My WAG is that it's not that difficult for cops to recognize them, even if they only have code numbers, as there are a limited number of controlled substances that are abused.

And of course, some have more descriptive markings
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Av8trix Av8trix is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpalCat View Post
Intriguing...
Hm, on further inspection, those are 2" diameter, but I assure you the 1" are out there. Try your local craft store.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-13-2011, 01:08 AM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 54,974
Sure, you could go the cheap and easy route. But I say style it up with some antique prescription bottles.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-13-2011, 02:07 AM
bldysabba bldysabba is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpalCat View Post
... those cards of pills that you push through the back in them (never saw that in the US from a pharmacy before, kinda different)
Do US pharmacies really not have the pill cards? In India there are very few medicines that don't come in push-out-through-back or tear open pill cards (so much so that I don't know if they're called pill cards. They're so ubiquitous there's never been a need to refer to them)
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-13-2011, 04:25 AM
Lynn Bodoni Lynn Bodoni is offline
Creature of the Night
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 20,803
In the US, we do have some medications that come on cards. There's at least one antibiotic that I've taken that comes on a card, and one anti yeast medication. However, most of my prescriptions come in pill bottles, if they're in pill or tablet form. We do have a lot of over the counter medicines that come on cards, but even with those, you can generally choose whether to get the pills on cards or in a bottle.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-13-2011, 01:13 PM
OpalCat OpalCat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 19,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Bodoni View Post
In the US, we do have some medications that come on cards. There's at least one antibiotic that I've taken that comes on a card, and one anti yeast medication. However, most of my prescriptions come in pill bottles, if they're in pill or tablet form. We do have a lot of over the counter medicines that come on cards, but even with those, you can generally choose whether to get the pills on cards or in a bottle.
Yep. Only a very few prescriptions come on cards. One that comes to mind is the Z-pack. (pac?) Virtually all prescriptions for pills come as loose pills in a bottle. I'd say it's maybe 50/50 for over the counter stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-13-2011, 01:51 PM
kenobi 65 kenobi 65 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpalCat View Post
Yep. Only a very few prescriptions come on cards. One that comes to mind is the Z-pack. (pac?) Virtually all prescriptions for pills come as loose pills in a bottle. I'd say it's maybe 50/50 for over the counter stuff.
Granted, I have no experience with birth-control pills , but the only prescription I've had that comes on cards / in blister packs has been a blood-pressure med which the instructions indicate is moisture-sensitive (and, as such, you're not supposed to remove it from the card until you're about to take it). Everything other prescription I've had as an adult (oral diabetes pills, statins, painkillers, antibiotics) has always just come loose in a bottle.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-13-2011, 02:06 PM
OpalCat OpalCat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 19,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Granted, I have no experience with birth-control pills
Yeah, BCPs are another example of specialized packaging. And my son's primary ADHD medication is a transdermal patch that comes in plastic sleeves, 30 to a sealed-in-foil plastic box (inside another cardboard box). So there are a few exceptions, but they're in the fringe minority.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-13-2011, 02:34 PM
VOW VOW is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Hubster and I both need a wide variety of medications, plus we have the usual aches, pains, sneezes, and even gut rumbles. *I* can tell one pill from another, so I have a lovely, multi-colored assortment in a pill bottle tucked into my purse.

There are a couple of Vicodin and maybe even a Xanax or two in the mix.

Yes, yes, I know, I'm just ASKING for a plethora of State and Federal drug charges to be levied upon me if we are ever stopped and searched.

If I carried a labeled bottle for EACH medication in my purse, I'd have to have a cabinet on a wagon to transport everything. Plus, we get our medications from a mail-order pharmacy, three months' worth at a time. THOSE pill bottles are big enough to hold a Thanksgiving turkey (or two).

Nah, I'll take my chances.

Besides, if we were EVER stopped and searched, I'd be absolutely too entertaining for the cops to bother with searching my purse. I'm profoundly hearing impaired and have a lousy sense of balance, so I wouldn't be able to understand, much less FOLLOW any instructions beyond, "Get out of the car."

You don't see too many grey-haired old bats on COPS getting the shakedown. I'll be okay.

I hope.


~VOW
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-14-2011, 01:51 AM
Senegoid Senegoid is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 6,427
I think that a lot of kinds of pills are available in blister packs, but they are substantially more expensive that way, and that's not what you usually get. However, they are more commonly used in nursing homes and such places, where some staff person sets out pills for lots of people. They are much more convenient for the staff that way, I think.

I lived in a "board and care" home for about a year, several years ago. The "house mother" set out everybody's pills a whole week at a time, and saw to it that their prescriptions got refilled, and all that. (Except me. I had private coverage whereas everybody else was on medi-medi, so I took care of all my own meds.) Anyway, they always ordered all meds for everybody in the blister packs.

I don't know if ALL meds are available that way, but clearly a lot are.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Max Torque Max Torque is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Raiderville, TX
Posts: 9,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
So, in general, how does a cop know what kind of pills he's looking at if they aren't in their original bottles? I mean, sure, maybe SOME particular pills are well-known and recognizable, but most are rather non-descript. Many just have some kind of code-number like KU-118 or TL-384 stamped on them.
They have a Physician's Desk Reference manual. They don't carry it around, of course, but they do have one at the station. I've seen many reports where the officer describes the markings on the pill, plus its size, shape, and color, and lists the drug name as it appears in the PDR.

Sometimes people carry pills around in the wrong prescription bottle. My prescriptions from CVS have a label that describes the shape, color, and markings of the medications that should be inside. Came in handy once, when the pills I received were the right medicine, but in the wrong dosage....
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-14-2011, 10:22 AM
StuffLikeThatThere StuffLikeThatThere is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
I think that a lot of kinds of pills are available in blister packs, but they are substantially more expensive that way, and that's not what you usually get. However, they are more commonly used in nursing homes and such places, where some staff person sets out pills for lots of people. They are much more convenient for the staff that way, I think.
I used to work in a pharmacy that supplied nursing homes with those blister packs. I don't know the cost breakdown, but the blister packs were custom-produced for the particular person according to their prescription, and that has to increase costs substantially.

I think the packs are more convenient, but I think the main reason for the custom packs is medication tracking. Let's say a person had a prescription for a blood pressure pill once every day, in the morning. The pharmacy technician would place one pill in each slot (there are 31) of the front piece, put the back portion of the card (with the little foil bubbles that push through) in place, and put the pack in the sealer. Voila! Custom made blister pack. If a nurse needs to know whether the patient has had the blood pressure medication that morning, it's easy enough to check the blister pack.

Cards for February only had pills in slots 1-28. For medications taken more than once a day, blister packs are marked AM or PM (or lunch, or bedtime, or whatever). We had medications like Synthroid where they took one dose every other day, and an alternate dose on alternate days. The patient gets two cards for the month, with pills in every other day on each card. (Most technicians hated those prescriptions; you really have to slow down and be careful on those.) Of course, everything got checked by a pharmacist before being sent out.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-14-2011, 11:04 AM
OpalCat OpalCat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 19,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffLikeThatThere View Post
I used to work in a pharmacy that supplied nursing homes with those blister packs. I don't know the cost breakdown, but the blister packs were custom-produced for the particular person according to their prescription, and that has to increase costs substantially.
The summer camp my son went to for several years had a service they required you to use if your kid was on medication that did this--put them in custom blister packs. The fee alone was $50, PLUS the cost of the medications, which you had to buy through that company. Fortunately, my son's medication is, as I mentioned, not a pill but a transdermal patch and thus can't be packaged in that way, so we were able to send him to camp with his regular box of medication, bought at CVS for our regular price.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.