The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-19-2011, 09:36 AM
kwc27 kwc27 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Wake up with a belly ache most mornings

Just like the title thread says. No matter what I eat, I wake up with a belly ache once I get out of my bed and get in my chair to watch the news and drink my coffee.

It doesn't matter what I eat the night before. It doesn't feel like indigestion or heartburn, it just hurts.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 12-19-2011, 10:12 AM
AuntiePam AuntiePam is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
I have no idea, but something like that would send me to the doctor's office. If it happened occasionally and the pain was gone after a BM, I'd let it go. But "most" mornings? It's worth checking out.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-19-2011, 10:17 AM
davidm davidm is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Near Philadelphia PA, USA
Posts: 6,316
I second the idea of going to the doctor. Don't play around with something like this, and don't look for medical advice on internet forums.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-19-2011, 10:25 AM
not what you'd expect not what you'd expect is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: city of gold
Posts: 3,084
Does it start with the coffee?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-19-2011, 10:29 AM
twickster twickster is online now
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 38,403
Moved GQ --> IMHO.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Bloodless Turnip Bloodless Turnip is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I'm amazed at people who can afford to go to the doctor for a belly ache.

Amazed might be the wrong word....envious maybe.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-19-2011, 11:07 AM
ZipperJJ ZipperJJ is offline
And Finn The Human
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 19,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodless Turnip View Post
I'm amazed at people who can afford to go to the doctor for a belly ache.

Amazed might be the wrong word....envious maybe.
If you have insurance, you (or a combination of you and your employer) are paying up the ass every month for the privilege of being able to get a discount if you decide to go to the doctor. Even if you have to pay a co-pay, I say insured people can't afford NOT to go to the doctor. Otherwise you'll wind up hurting yourself really bad if you think of all the money you piss away on being insured and avoiding the doctor.

I vote for the doctor too. If it bothers you enough to write about it here, it should bother you enough to have someone check it out for ya.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-19-2011, 11:09 AM
davidm davidm is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Near Philadelphia PA, USA
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodless Turnip View Post
I'm amazed at people who can afford to go to the doctor for a belly ache.

Amazed might be the wrong word....envious maybe.
Not just a belly ache. A belly ache every morning, and one that is troubling enough for kwc27 that he felt the need to ask about it on here.

Some things you just shouldn't ignore. This sounds like it may be one of those things.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-19-2011, 11:39 AM
WhyNot WhyNot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 30,782
How old are you? What gender are you? Any chance you're pregnant? (If you're female under 60, have an intact reproductive system and have had sex in the past 10 months, the answer to this question is "yes", unless you've actually taken a pregnancy test today.) Are you, as they say, height-weight proportionate, or are you over or underweight? Are you on any medications - herbal or pharmaceutical? Are you diabetic? Any history of ulcers, GI bleed, liver disease, gall bladder troubles, constipation, diarrhea, GERD or cardiovascular disease? What's the pain like (constant, intermittent, dull, aching, stabbing, radiating, crushing, twisting, etc.)? Does anything (repositioning, heating pad/hot water bottle, food, etc,) make it better or worse?

As you can see, there's a lot of information, not to mention an actual physical exam, that goes into answering a question like this. So...yeah, probably a doctor's visit is in order.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-19-2011, 11:45 AM
shimmery shimmery is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc27 View Post
Just like the title thread says. No matter what I eat, I wake up with a belly ache once I get out of my bed and get in my chair to watch the news and drink my coffee.

It doesn't matter what I eat the night before. It doesn't feel like indigestion or heartburn, it just hurts.

Any ideas?
Have you changed the time you wake up recently? My stomach is usually unsettled for a while if I wake up earlier than normal (in high school, when I had to be in class at 7:30, I felt sick every morning). Usually I just need to give it some time before I put anything in it and not start with something acidic like coffee. Once or twice I have vomited from the combination of waking up early and drinking strong black tea.

I think of it as my body's way of convincing me that I should really get my ass back in bed.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Cat Whisperer Cat Whisperer is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lethbridge, AB.
Posts: 48,288
I recently went through a bad bout of stomach pains, and it turned out to be Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) that was aggravated by a couple of foods I love and was eating regularly - mustard and black pepper. I take a small dose of acid reducer (ranitidine) every morning, and avoid those foods, and it seems to be working. The problem with diagnosing IBS, I've learned, is that you pretty much get there by eliminating everything else it might be.

Is it possibly just severe hunger pains? Everyone says you're not supposed to eat before bed, but if I don't, I have hunger pains so bad I can't sleep. Does a bit of food make them go away?

One thing the doctor will probably tell you is, the coffee has to go - coffee is hard on your stomach.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-19-2011, 05:52 PM
elfkin477 elfkin477 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NH
Posts: 19,691
How are your sinuses? I have allergies, and if my nose gets so stuffed up overnight that my sinuses drain into my throat, I wake up with a belly ache too. If you google "post nasal drip nausea" you'll see that a lot of people have this issue.
__________________
Stalk follow me on Twitter
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-19-2011, 07:14 PM
papergirl papergirl is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
My son used to have a stomachache every morning too--not nausea, but pain. His doctor gave him Prilosec and it made a huge difference. I was surprised because I wouldn't have assumed the type of pain he complained about would respond to something like Prilosec.
But yeah, if you can afford it, a doctor's visit wouldn't be a bad idea.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Comicenbe Comicenbe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntiePam View Post
I have no idea, but something like that would send me to the doctor's office. If it happened occasionally and the pain was gone after a BM, I'd let it go. But "most" mornings? It's worth checking out.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Duckster Duckster is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 12,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodless Turnip View Post
I'm amazed at people who can afford to go to the doctor for a belly ache.

Amazed might be the wrong word....envious maybe.
Yes, there are people who abuse "the system." Not sure where the OP fits in on that. However, there are some symptoms where not getting checked out by a qualified medical professional really can be a life and death decision.

Unknown chest pain is one. So are unknown stomach pains.

Last edited by Duckster; 12-19-2011 at 07:43 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Morelin Morelin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmery View Post
Have you changed the time you wake up recently? My stomach is usually unsettled for a while if I wake up earlier than normal (in high school, when I had to be in class at 7:30, I felt sick every morning). Usually I just need to give it some time before I put anything in it and not start with something acidic like coffee. Once or twice I have vomited from the combination of waking up early and drinking strong black tea.

I think of it as my body's way of convincing me that I should really get my ass back in bed.
Heh. I used to joke that I woke up before my stomach. All through high school I had to be at school by 7:30 and usually by 10/11 hunger finally overcame nausea and I could eat something. Never vomited though.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Ambivalid Ambivalid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
How are your sinuses? I have allergies, and if my nose gets so stuffed up overnight that my sinuses drain into my throat, I wake up with a belly ache too. If you google "post nasal drip nausea" you'll see that a lot of people have this issue.
I was going to say this. Post-nasal drip will cause mucus to drain throughout the night into your stomach; when you awake in the morning you feel pukey because you have snot in your belly.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-19-2011, 08:30 PM
kwc27 kwc27 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Sorry, 26 year old male. It lasts for a half-hour if that. Once I get moving it goes away.

I work weird hours, alternate between days and nights. It usually occurs if I wake up without enough sleep.

I only thought to post it on here because I happened to be on this website while it was hitting me.

Doctor's visit in the future? Probably since I got good insurance but I just wanted to get some ideas.

Thanks mods for moving this btw.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-19-2011, 08:33 PM
jsgoddess jsgoddess is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmery View Post
Have you changed the time you wake up recently? My stomach is usually unsettled for a while if I wake up earlier than normal (in high school, when I had to be in class at 7:30, I felt sick every morning). Usually I just need to give it some time before I put anything in it and not start with something acidic like coffee. Once or twice I have vomited from the combination of waking up early and drinking strong black tea.

I think of it as my body's way of convincing me that I should really get my ass back in bed.
I thought I was one of a rare group with that problem. Usually, if I get up at my normal time I'm fine, but get me up early and BLEAH.

IBS can lead to pain anywhere from breastbone to crotch, basically, and Cat Whisperer is right about how it's diagnosed.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Ambivalid Ambivalid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmery View Post
Have you changed the time you wake up recently? My stomach is usually unsettled for a while if I wake up earlier than normal (in high school, when I had to be in class at 7:30, I felt sick every morning). Usually I just need to give it some time before I put anything in it and not start with something acidic like coffee. Once or twice I have vomited from the combination of waking up early and drinking strong black tea.

I think of it as my body's way of convincing me that I should really get my ass back in bed.
Weird, getting up earlier than I am supposed to or am used to has the opposite effect on me; I feel famished. When I used to work at the local newspaper here in Flint, I would have to be at work at 530am on the weekends. Now typically, I don't have very much of a morning appetite; but on those weekends I would be starving and couldn't get to the McDonald's drive-thru fast enough. And the same holds true today; getting up early really stimulates my appetite.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-19-2011, 09:15 PM
shimmery shimmery is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgoddess View Post
I thought I was one of a rare group with that problem. Usually, if I get up at my normal time I'm fine, but get me up early and BLEAH.

IBS can lead to pain anywhere from breastbone to crotch, basically, and Cat Whisperer is right about how it's diagnosed.
Boy am I relieved to hear that others experience this. I was afraid the response would be more like, "Um, shimmery, you should probably get to the doctor too..."

Now that others mention it, I believe that post-nasal drip (ewww) also plays a role for me.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Rushgeekgirl Rushgeekgirl is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc27 View Post
Sorry, 26 year old male. It lasts for a half-hour if that. Once I get moving it goes away.

I work weird hours, alternate between days and nights. It usually occurs if I wake up without enough sleep.

I only thought to post it on here because I happened to be on this website while it was hitting me.

Doctor's visit in the future? Probably since I got good insurance but I just wanted to get some ideas.

Thanks mods for moving this btw.
Have you always been like this or is it something recent? I have been like this since I was a little kid. Back then they called it "nervous stomach" and gave me loperamide. They sell that over the counter now, I think Immodium is the brand. It helped some, but not completely. It wasn't diarrhea, just cramps sort of like you get before you have it. The meds supposedly settle the cramps.
And it was worse when I didn't get enough sleep. I had a lot of trouble in school as a kid because several mornings a week I'd be feeling too rough to focus in the morning.

So it could just be something simple like that. It still bothers me sometimes, especially when I've had too much coffee after not enough sleep. I've learned to live with it and rarely need any meds to get through a spell. Get yourself to the doctor and put up with their poking and prodding to make sure, but I bet it's nothing more than something simple like that.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-20-2011, 12:40 AM
kwc27 kwc27 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Coffee will never leave my routine, sorry, whether it hurts or not I can't do without it. Even if it's causing the problems.

I'm going to bed now and sleeping in tomorrow and examine the problem more closely if it hits me.

Ttyl.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-20-2011, 12:53 AM
Cat Whisperer Cat Whisperer is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lethbridge, AB.
Posts: 48,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc27 View Post
Coffee will never leave my routine, sorry, whether it hurts or not I can't do without it. Even if it's causing the problems.<snip>
Spoken like a 26 year old who isn't in enough pain yet.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-20-2011, 02:30 AM
Senegoid Senegoid is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by papergirl View Post
My son used to have a stomachache every morning too--not nausea, but pain. His doctor gave him Prilosec and it made a huge difference. I was surprised because I wouldn't have assumed the type of pain he complained about would respond to something like Prilosec.
But yeah, if you can afford it, a doctor's visit wouldn't be a bad idea.
If the doc decides that Prilosec is the right thing for this OP or anyone else, the affordability might not be such a problem any more. It's available in generic, called Omeprazole, undoubtedly for a more nearly finite price.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-20-2011, 02:42 AM
Ambivalid Ambivalid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
If the doc decides that Prilosec is the right thing for this OP or anyone else, the affordability might not be such a problem any more. It's available in generic, called Omeprazole, undoubtedly for a more nearly finite price.
The OTC Prilosec is expensive? I didn't even realize it was that bad (I take it, too). How much of a price difference is there between the two?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-20-2011, 07:23 AM
elfkin477 elfkin477 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NH
Posts: 19,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
The OTC Prilosec is expensive? I didn't even realize it was that bad (I take it, too). How much of a price difference is there between the two?
My dad gets it as a prescription for a $10/90 day copay. In the stores the generic is $17/30 days. I know from other threads that prices vary wildly in various parts of the country, though, because someone found me an online source for a Zyrtec generic that was 1/5th of the lowest in-store price here at that point.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-20-2011, 07:35 AM
glee glee is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Yes, go to the doctor.
It could be nothing much - it could be serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodless Turnip View Post
I'm amazed at people who can afford to go to the doctor for a belly ache.

Amazed might be the wrong word....envious maybe.
Over here (UK) we have the prepaid National Health Service.
So checking on stuff like bellyache is free here. One benefit is that catching a problem early can save money (rather than costly operations...)

Although I like America and Americans, I have to take out $1,000,000 in health insurance every time I visit...
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Chefguy Chefguy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 29,581
Have you tried putting some lime in your coconut? I've heard it can relieve your bellyache.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-20-2011, 11:17 AM
davidm davidm is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Near Philadelphia PA, USA
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Have you tried putting some lime in your coconut? I've heard it can relieve your bellyache.
You have to shake it all up first. And keep in mind that it sometimes causes, rather than cures, bellyaches.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-20-2011, 11:35 AM
rhubarbarin rhubarbarin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
I know several people with this problem, including my boyfriend and my best friend's boyfriend (every morning for years he had bad stomach pain for hours). It also happens to me sometimes. Doctors have been no help for any of us. I have many digestive problems and have had about every test you can - waste of money, in my case at least. Diet changes made the difference.

All of us find that waking and immediately eating something containing fat and protein (eggs etc), and avoiding coffee and hot sauce until after the stomach has a buffer in it, and especially things like donuts, bagels etc, helps immensely.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-20-2011, 01:22 PM
kwc27 kwc27 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
Spoken like a 26 year old who isn't in enough pain yet.
Is that a total joke or sarcasm? Because I broke my femur once, and my foot, and my arm, and my brother who is nine years older than me used to beat me up on an almost regular basis. And I'm tall and clumsy so I bump my head A LOT. I know what pain is.

I work the night shift now so I slept way in and am enjoying some coffee as we speak. It gives me minor indigestion but not the same as I was complaining about earlier in the thread. I don't think they're hunger pangs because my body won't allow me to eat solid food until I've been up for a few hours. It just comes back out.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Cat Whisperer Cat Whisperer is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lethbridge, AB.
Posts: 48,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc27 View Post
Is that a total joke or sarcasm?<snip>
It was a light-hearted comment based on my own experiences with stomach pain - if someone had told me that the never-ending, grinding, agonizing pain would be gone if all I did was stop drinking coffee, I would have gotten down and kissed their feet for ending the pain.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-23-2011, 05:27 AM
Senegoid Senegoid is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
The OTC Prilosec is expensive? I didn't even realize it was that bad (I take it, too). How much of a price difference is there between the two?
I didn't even know there was such a thing as OTC Prilosec. What I have is Rx Omeprazole. What I do know is that some drugs exist in both Rx and OTC forms, where the OTC is either a lower dose than a Rx typically is, or possibly not even the same medicine (?). I do know that brand-name Prevacid (lansoprazole) was apparently too expensive, because several years ago my insurance would only cover that for 6 months, and I suppose there was no generic of that available.

Last edited by Senegoid; 12-23-2011 at 05:27 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-23-2011, 06:45 AM
Nava Nava is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
I didn't even know there was such a thing as OTC Prilosec. What I have is Rx Omeprazole. What I do know is that some drugs exist in both Rx and OTC forms, where the OTC is either a lower dose than a Rx typically is, or possibly not even the same medicine (?). I do know that brand-name Prevacid (lansoprazole) was apparently too expensive, because several years ago my insurance would only cover that for 6 months, and I suppose there was no generic of that available.
A brand and OTC versions have to be the same medicine in terms of which active ingredient they use; dosage may differ, but then, it also may differ between different presentations of the branded version. Different presentations may have different excipients, which may lead to issues when the excipient isn't as "inactive" as it should be (two common excipients for solid presentations are glucose and lactose; one that used to be common for syrups is ethanol).

Omeprazole and lansoprazole are different active ingredients; they're not the same thing whether branded or OTC.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-23-2011, 08:52 AM
WhyNot WhyNot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 30,782
Omeprazole and lansoprazole are different molecules, but they work to treat frequent heartburn in the same way - both are proton pump inhibitors (along with several other drugs all ending in "-azole"). At the OTC dose, lansoprazole may be effective in more people, but it may not. Studies comparing different PPIs have been very mixed, and most doctors choose based on personal preference and cost, not scientifically proven superiority of one over the other.

Senegoid, prescription omeprazole comes in 10, 20 or 40mg. I've got to say, though, I've never actually seen the 10s or 40s. All the doctors I know simply prescribe 2 20s if that's what they want the patient to take. The OTC ones I've seen are 20mg, which is far and away the most common dose.

If you have a prescription drug plan that will cover the cost of prescriptions but not OTC meds, then by all means, have your doctor keep prescribing it so you don't have to pay out-of-pocket! But if you're paying for your meds yourself, then the OTC stuff is generally cheaper (I won't say "always", 'cause some pharmacies have quirky "cheap drug" lists, and maybe omeprazole is on someone's list. No one that I've found, though; the SO's been on the stuff for years.)

One reason your insurance company may have limited the duration of the lansoprazole prescription is that proton pump inhibitors were designed, tested and marketed for 14 day use only. If 14 days didn't work, you were supposed to go off them for a bit before doing another 14 day regime. They were never intended to be a long term maintenance drug, although that's how a lot of doctors (and patients) use them today.

Last edited by WhyNot; 12-23-2011 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Monstera deliciosa Monstera deliciosa is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 50 miles NW of Chicago
Posts: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
Omeprazole and lansoprazole are different molecules, but they work to treat frequent heartburn in the same way - both are proton pump inhibitors (along with several other drugs all ending in "-azole"). At the OTC dose, lansoprazole may be effective in more people, but it may not. Studies comparing different PPIs have been very mixed, and most doctors choose based on personal preference and cost, not scientifically proven superiority of one over the other.

Senegoid, prescription omeprazole comes in 10, 20 or 40mg. I've got to say, though, I've never actually seen the 10s or 40s. All the doctors I know simply prescribe 2 20s if that's what they want the patient to take. The OTC ones I've seen are 20mg, which is far and away the most common dose.

If you have a prescription drug plan that will cover the cost of prescriptions but not OTC meds, then by all means, have your doctor keep prescribing it so you don't have to pay out-of-pocket! But if you're paying for your meds yourself, then the OTC stuff is generally cheaper (I won't say "always", 'cause some pharmacies have quirky "cheap drug" lists, and maybe omeprazole is on someone's list. No one that I've found, though; the SO's been on the stuff for years.)

One reason your insurance company may have limited the duration of the lansoprazole prescription is that proton pump inhibitors were designed, tested and marketed for 14 day use only. If 14 days didn't work, you were supposed to go off them for a bit before doing another 14 day regime. They were never intended to be a long term maintenance drug, although that's how a lot of doctors (and patients) use them today.
My husband was prescribed the 40mg pills, (not 2 20s) and has been taking them for 2.5 years, so they are certainly available. The physician originally prescribed something else, but our insurance wouldn't cover it, so the doctor chose omeprazole instead.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-23-2011, 10:49 AM
WhyNot WhyNot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 30,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstera deliciosa View Post
My husband was prescribed the 40mg pills, (not 2 20s) and has been taking them for 2.5 years, so they are certainly available. The physician originally prescribed something else, but our insurance wouldn't cover it, so the doctor chose omeprazole instead.
Interesting. It may very well be that they're common outside the hospital setting, I guess I don't know.

Hospitals like to stock as few different versions of one med as possible, generally the cheapest one. My SO (also on 40mg, but 2 20s) is served by the VA, who also use the "1 pill type, cut it or double it if you don't like it," theory of prescription fulfillment (we cut 3 of his pills in half, and double two others; it's a little ridiculous). So perhaps that's why I'm so accustomed to seeing only 20s.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-20-2013, 11:13 PM
jsorel jsorel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Lower abdominal pains

Hi,
I have been suffering from abdominal cramps that start when i wake up early in the morning and lasts about forty five minutes. The symptoms are exactly the same as you have described in the [post. have tried several prescription and alternative forms of medication.

The other day a friend gave me a tablet of SPASFON-LYON to try for the next time that I get the pain. I looked online and discovered that the active ingredient in this tablet is PHLOROGLUCINOL an antispasmodic, which is probably what we all need to take as soon as we begin feeling the first signs of cramping.

This morning i woke up with the usual unbearable cramps and I swallowed this SPASFON - LYON. I was surprised that it took effect in less than ten minutes. Although it did not stop the occasional diarrohea that came with it, I was spared the crippling spasms.

I hope this helps. This medication was purchased by a friend from France but I am sure you can get the same elsewhere perhaps under a different name.

NAME: SPASFON-LYON 80MG
ACTIVE INGREDIENT: PHLOROGLUCINOL (ANTISPASMODIC)

I really hope that all of you find a solution and put an end to your discomfort. I for one understand what you go through after having gone through it myself for almost ten years.

J. Sorel
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Ferret Herder Ferret Herder is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Actually, phloroglucinol does not appear to be available in the US, per my medications app that I use for work.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.