Wake up with a belly ache most mornings

Boy am I relieved to hear that others experience this. I was afraid the response would be more like, “Um, shimmery, you should probably get to the doctor too…”

Now that others mention it, I believe that post-nasal drip (ewww) also plays a role for me.

Have you always been like this or is it something recent? I have been like this since I was a little kid. Back then they called it “nervous stomach” and gave me loperamide. They sell that over the counter now, I think Immodium is the brand. It helped some, but not completely. It wasn’t diarrhea, just cramps sort of like you get before you have it. The meds supposedly settle the cramps.
And it was worse when I didn’t get enough sleep. I had a lot of trouble in school as a kid because several mornings a week I’d be feeling too rough to focus in the morning.

So it could just be something simple like that. It still bothers me sometimes, especially when I’ve had too much coffee after not enough sleep. I’ve learned to live with it and rarely need any meds to get through a spell. Get yourself to the doctor and put up with their poking and prodding to make sure, but I bet it’s nothing more than something simple like that.

Coffee will never leave my routine, sorry, whether it hurts or not I can’t do without it. Even if it’s causing the problems.

I’m going to bed now and sleeping in tomorrow and examine the problem more closely if it hits me.

Ttyl.

Spoken like a 26 year old who isn’t in enough pain yet. :slight_smile:

If the doc decides that Prilosec is the right thing for this OP or anyone else, the affordability might not be such a problem any more. It’s available in generic, called Omeprazole, undoubtedly for a more nearly finite price.

The OTC Prilosec is expensive? I didn’t even realize it was that bad (I take it, too). How much of a price difference is there between the two?

My dad gets it as a prescription for a $10/90 day copay. In the stores the generic is $17/30 days. I know from other threads that prices vary wildly in various parts of the country, though, because someone found me an online source for a Zyrtec generic that was 1/5th of the lowest in-store price here at that point.

Yes, go to the doctor.
It could be nothing much - it could be serious.

Over here (UK) we have the prepaid National Health Service.
So checking on stuff like bellyache is free here. One benefit is that catching a problem early can save money (rather than costly operations…)

Although I like America and Americans, I have to take out $1,000,000 in health insurance every time I visit…

Have you tried putting some lime in your coconut? I’ve heard it can relieve your bellyache.

You have to shake it all up first. And keep in mind that it sometimes causes, rather than cures, bellyaches.

I know several people with this problem, including my boyfriend and my best friend’s boyfriend (every morning for years he had bad stomach pain for hours). It also happens to me sometimes. Doctors have been no help for any of us. I have many digestive problems and have had about every test you can - waste of money, in my case at least. Diet changes made the difference.

All of us find that waking and immediately eating something containing fat and protein (eggs etc), and avoiding coffee and hot sauce until after the stomach has a buffer in it, and especially things like donuts, bagels etc, helps immensely.

Is that a total joke or sarcasm? Because I broke my femur once, and my foot, and my arm, and my brother who is nine years older than me used to beat me up on an almost regular basis. And I’m tall and clumsy so I bump my head A LOT. I know what pain is.

I work the night shift now so I slept way in and am enjoying some coffee as we speak. It gives me minor indigestion but not the same as I was complaining about earlier in the thread. I don’t think they’re hunger pangs because my body won’t allow me to eat solid food until I’ve been up for a few hours. It just comes back out.

It was a light-hearted comment based on my own experiences with stomach pain - if someone had told me that the never-ending, grinding, agonizing pain would be gone if all I did was stop drinking coffee, I would have gotten down and kissed their feet for ending the pain.

I didn’t even know there was such a thing as OTC Prilosec. What I have is Rx Omeprazole. What I do know is that some drugs exist in both Rx and OTC forms, where the OTC is either a lower dose than a Rx typically is, or possibly not even the same medicine (?). I do know that brand-name Prevacid (lansoprazole) was apparently too expensive, because several years ago my insurance would only cover that for 6 months, and I suppose there was no generic of that available.

A brand and OTC versions have to be the same medicine in terms of which active ingredient they use; dosage may differ, but then, it also may differ between different presentations of the branded version. Different presentations may have different excipients, which may lead to issues when the excipient isn’t as “inactive” as it should be (two common excipients for solid presentations are glucose and lactose; one that used to be common for syrups is ethanol).

Omeprazole and lansoprazole are different active ingredients; they’re not the same thing whether branded or OTC.

Omeprazole and lansoprazole are different molecules, but they work to treat frequent heartburn in the same way - both are proton pump inhibitors (along with several other drugs all ending in “-azole”). At the OTC dose, lansoprazole may be effective in more people, but it may not. Studies comparing different PPIs have been very mixed, and most doctors choose based on personal preference and cost, not scientifically proven superiority of one over the other.

Senegoid, prescription omeprazole comes in 10, 20 or 40mg. I’ve got to say, though, I’ve never actually seen the 10s or 40s. All the doctors I know simply prescribe 2 20s if that’s what they want the patient to take. The OTC ones I’ve seen are 20mg, which is far and away the most common dose.

If you have a prescription drug plan that will cover the cost of prescriptions but not OTC meds, then by all means, have your doctor keep prescribing it so you don’t have to pay out-of-pocket! But if you’re paying for your meds yourself, then the OTC stuff is generally cheaper (I won’t say “always”, 'cause some pharmacies have quirky “cheap drug” lists, and maybe omeprazole is on someone’s list. No one that I’ve found, though; the SO’s been on the stuff for years.)

One reason your insurance company may have limited the duration of the lansoprazole prescription is that proton pump inhibitors were designed, tested and marketed for 14 day use only. If 14 days didn’t work, you were supposed to go off them for a bit before doing another 14 day regime. They were never intended to be a long term maintenance drug, although that’s how a lot of doctors (and patients) use them today.

My husband was prescribed the 40mg pills, (not 2 20s) and has been taking them for 2.5 years, so they are certainly available. The physician originally prescribed something else, but our insurance wouldn’t cover it, so the doctor chose omeprazole instead.

Interesting. It may very well be that they’re common outside the hospital setting, I guess I don’t know.

Hospitals like to stock as few different versions of one med as possible, generally the cheapest one. My SO (also on 40mg, but 2 20s) is served by the VA, who also use the “1 pill type, cut it or double it if you don’t like it,” theory of prescription fulfillment (we cut 3 of his pills in half, and double two others; it’s a little ridiculous). So perhaps that’s why I’m so accustomed to seeing only 20s.

Hi,
I have been suffering from abdominal cramps that start when i wake up early in the morning and lasts about forty five minutes. The symptoms are exactly the same as you have described in the [post. have tried several prescription and alternative forms of medication.

The other day a friend gave me a tablet of SPASFON-LYON to try for the next time that I get the pain. I looked online and discovered that the active ingredient in this tablet is PHLOROGLUCINOL an antispasmodic, which is probably what we all need to take as soon as we begin feeling the first signs of cramping.

This morning i woke up with the usual unbearable cramps and I swallowed this SPASFON - LYON. I was surprised that it took effect in less than ten minutes. Although it did not stop the occasional diarrohea that came with it, I was spared the crippling spasms.

I hope this helps. This medication was purchased by a friend from France but I am sure you can get the same elsewhere perhaps under a different name.

NAME: SPASFON-LYON 80MG
ACTIVE INGREDIENT: PHLOROGLUCINOL (ANTISPASMODIC)

I really hope that all of you find a solution and put an end to your discomfort. I for one understand what you go through after having gone through it myself for almost ten years.

J. Sorel

Actually, phloroglucinol does not appear to be available in the US, per my medications app that I use for work.