Scars

What have you got and how did you get them? Maybe just stick to the best ones if you’ve got lots. :slight_smile:

I have an invisible scar on my lower lip, but I can feel it. I got it as a tantrum-throwing baby when I threw myself out of the crib and my upper teeth went through my lip.

I have a triangular scar on my elbow where I cut myself on an unfinished glass table top. Memorable because it bled so much Mom let me stay home from school even though I felt fine. Yay!

A zigzag scar on my middle finger was acquired during a cooking experiment. I learned that hot liquid sugar will take the flesh off you in no time. I like to hold my finger up and show that one to people.

Caesarean scar…damn, that doctor did a good job!

Okay, I know y’all have some good stories. Let’s have ‘em.

Let’s see. I think the scar on my foot where the horse (nearly) stepped on me has faded entirely. I had stitches on the bottom of my chin when I was a kid and I think that’s nearly gone as well.

I have a huge number of stretchmarks. It’s not fair - I just suddenly grew hips in high school (and they’re not even that big) and I just don’t have the right kind of skin apparently. I have some in weird places too.

Years ago I was painting my apartment. The walls became white and the trim became green. I got concerned that I’d painted one window shut, so I tried to open it. Yep, stuck. I pushed a little harder and still couldn’t get it open. One big push, and it opened. And I put my elbow through it. And I opened a 2-inch gash on my right forearm.

It bled pretty badly, and I didn’t have a bandaid big enough to patch it up. I ended up calling 911 and getting probably 10 stitches. That was in 1996, so almost 16 years ago.

Let’s see.

Buried in my right eyebrow is a scar where a steel pipe was dropped on my head when I was 6 months old. According to my mom, it was a gusher, and took 20 minutes to stop bleeding. A half inch or so lower, and the pipe would’ve went through my eyeball instead of just bouncing off my head.

Under my left pinkie toe is a 2 inch gash where I sliced my foot open on the bottom of a recliner.

Under my left knee is a 2 inch horizontal scar where I cut my leg on something. No clue what, and the weird thing is that my jeans I was wearing that day didn’t get ripped.

From my belly button to the beginning of my pubic region and 3" across the entire way is a scar where the docs had to slice me open and suck out a bunch of toxins from a ruptured appendix and subsequent infections.

On the back on my right hand is a small slash scar. No clue where I got that.

My left middle finger got caught in an old computer case, which left a scar when it crushed and sliced my finger.

My left index finger has a round burn scar, my right index finger has a blue scar where I was stabbed with a pencil years and years ago.

I’m pretty sure that’s it for my scars.

4-inch scar on my left foot- put my foot through the spokes of an adult’s bicycle while riding on the front of the said bicycle. Back when I was about 6.

3-inch on my right arm+ assorted smaller ones around it, + a 2-inch on the side of the same hand- punched a window in my sleep while asleep in boarding school. Got carted off to the ER and acquired 34 stitches in the middle of the night. T’was an interesting week.

Penny-sized on top of the head- Chunk of hair ripped out by a relative.

Half-penny sized (basically a chunk missing off the top of left index finger)- acquired (Or lost? harhar.) while cutting mat for framing with a carpenter’s knife.

BB-sized on upper left arm- stabbed with a pencil by a (different) relative; the lead was cut out afterwards.

BB-sized on left hand- where a piece of glass stuck in after a relative (the pencil one) managed to roll a car with me in it. Both people escaped unharmed thanks to seat belts, the car was totaled.

Those are just the more interesting ones, before the age of 30…

On my son’s 5th birthday, he was clowning around in church after the service and fell face-forward into the corner of a pew. He got a deep vertical gash in his forehead above his right eye. Bled like a stuck pig. The ER glued it together but he still had a faint pink scar about 3/4" long.

Then this past summer he’s running around the house, trips again, and falls face-first into the corner of a wall. Deep gash in the EXACT same place, only bigger. Took him to the emergency clinic. It was too big to glue so they had to sew it up. The problem was, because of the earlier scar tissue, they hand a really hard time getting the stitches in and closing the wound. So now our 7 year old has a pretty noticeable 1" vertical scar on his forehead over his right eye.

I have to admit it makes him look kind of badass. But in reality he’s just clumsy.

Inoculation: polio scab on arm
Disease: minor chicken pox and acne scars
Accidents: scar at the top of my head from car hood ornament, tool cuts to hands
Misadventure: back of leg from hurldling a hedge that hid a chain link fence
Violence: stab in leg, shot in the neck, slashed in the chest
Conformity: circumcision band

Why get a tattoo? Life does a pretty good job of it on its own.

Long scar on my left ankle from a rusty chain on a swing set. I was hanging upside down on a trapeze bar and when I tried to get off, my foot got caught in the chain. I remember it bleeding a lot, but we didn’t go to the hospital.

Newest scars are from my gallbladder surgery.
My son has two he got on the same day from completely different circumstances. First he was bit in the face by a dog which left a scar on his lower lip. Later that day we were at McDonald’s (to make up for the dog bite) and he stabbed himself under his chin with the straw in his cup. It left a small perfect circle. Poor kid!

I LOVE scars. I think they add character.

I have a scrape from a razor blade on my left thumb, acquired during the summer in college when I made up for all the fun I didn’t have in high school. I have a circular scar around a knuckle that I got from trying to use an Italian bottle opener (seriously, wtf?) I have a scar on the end of my finger from the time I learned that you tear French bread, not slice it… especially when you’re drinking red wine.

I have scars on my rib cage, back, right upper arm, left thigh, and right thigh from mole removals. The one on my ribcage is particularly sinister, a couple of inches long and you can see where the stitches were.

I have a chicken pox scar on the left side of my nose, and another on top of my right foot that my mother promises is a chicken pox scar, though I remember it coming from an ill-fitting sandal that rubbed a really big blister.

Lastly, I have the c-section scar from my daughter’s birth. That’s my favorite.

Hit while riding my bicycle, degloving injury to the rear of the thigh, avulsed hamstring, skin graft.

My leg.

May be disturbing. :wink:

Large (about eight inches long) and impressive scar across my stomach from an operation three years ago.

Almost invisible scar on my throat from another operation about a year earlier.

Very small scar on my forehead from where I shot by a BB gun when I was a kid.

Vertical scar over right eye from heavyweight championship fight*
Scar across back of hand from knife fight**
Diagonal scar on back over shoulder blade, shrapnel wound***
Small scar on cornea, hunting accident with Dick Cheney****

Not enough time to list emotional scars.

• playing racquetball without eye protection
    ** accidently smashed a glass with my hand
    *** cyst removed
    **** pulling vines out of a tree without eye protection (hmm, something of a pattern here)

ETA: Also my smallpox vaccine scar on my shoulder

Ah…When my daughter was 2, she took the same exact form of header into the corner of a china cabinet. Being too broke to go to the ER, I glued it together at home! She still has a faint white scar about 3/4" long. :smiley:

Let’s see, for me, in order, more or less, of acquisition:

Stretch marks everywhere. Just…everywhere. Most of them have faded to pale silver, thankfully. 'Bout half from growth spurts and half from my first pregnancy. None from my second pregnancy - I was barely showing when she was born!

A 4" scar on my right shin, caused when my stepbrother and I were wrestling over a large kitchen knife. No, it wasn’t good-natured fun. But at least no one’s hand was *holding *the knife when it cut me, so the cut wasn’t very deep, just long, as the knife cut me on its way to the floor.

I have a 1.5" scar on my thigh and 4 or 5, I’m not sure, on my back and one perfectly round one on my arm and a bald round one on my head. Those are all from where moles were removed to test for cancerous cells. All negative. I have hundreds more moles (I resemble a Dalmatian), but given how easily I scar (more than half of those biopsies were done by a plastic surgeon to minimize scarring. Didn’t work.) I’m far less likely to allow them to biopsy anything these days.

A teardrop shaped scar on the back of my hand. One day after rehearsal, on my way to a nightclub, the sole fell off my boot. I used the hot glue gun in the sceneshop to glue it back on. Y’know how the hot glue gun you have at home is either “low melt” or “hot melt”? Turns out there’s an even *hotter *melt, and that’s what they use in theatrical sceneshops. I got a drop of it on my hand, and it melted my skin. Not burned it, but melted it. It was disgusting. Again, lacking health insurance, I opted for home treatment. Or nightclub treatment, since that’s where I was headed. Five or six whiskey stone sours and it didn’t hurt anymore. :stuck_out_tongue:

A c-section scar, but to be honest, it’s pretty much lost in the stretch marks. sigh

From various operations, scars all over my belly including a big one from the bottom of the V in my rib cage running all the way down (they even made a fake belly button) and a big one below my left should blade (most surgeons assume I had lung surgery when they see it, but it was from my first stomach operation.)

Lower back, about 3" long - back surgery age 25
Left elbow, about 2" long - elbow surgery age 29
Left thumb, almost the whole length of the thumb - my sister shoved a strip of staples in my hand age 5
Right middle finger, from nail to first knuckle, using a knife to pry a broken peg out of a tight hole because I’m a dumbass age 21
Right arm about halfway between hand and elbow - burned on a popcorn machine at work because I’m a dumbass age 20
Right arm about halfway between hand and elbow, 3 jagged scars in a row - sliced open arm on a coil of unhardened bandsaw that I was supposed to be hardening age 20
I think that’s it.

I have a few scars from a head on collision when I was 17. The steering column had a conversation with my face leaving me with a slight scar above my left eye(barely visible) and a scar running down my chin starting at my lip on the left. I had a few plastic surgeries(scar revisions) to lighten that one up. It’s still slightly visible and I could have had it improved more but I had sentimental feelings towards it I guess. Most people don’t notice in casual encounters but will notice after I’ve talked to them for a while.

Also in the same accident I pulverized some of my femur a rod was put in to hold the bone in place. I have a scar going around my kneecap and one on my thigh.

I have plenty of little work related scars on my hands and arms. Most I can’t even remember what they are from.

I have a scar on my left index finger from my childhood. I has 10 or 11 and decided to practice my ninja knife skills on the local underbrush. At some point I managed to bring the bowie knife down on my own hand. It probably should have received stitches but I couldn’t tell my parents so electrical tape prevailed and I have that scar to remind me.

Your scars make you who you are.

Well, that goes without saying. Are we counting stretch marks as scars? Cuz I’m covered in those.

I have a few:

Base of right thumb where I cut it to the bone on a can lid.

Under my chin, small scar from cutting myself with a birthstonne ring in my sleep, I was about 5 or 6.

On my right knee, fell in the parking lot at school, 2nd grade, and put a hole in it on a nail.

That’s all I can remember at this moment. Not very interesting.

Left index finger, a crescent shaped scar from cutting a carrot with a serrated knife when I was 15. Across 3 of my toes on each foot, little square shaped scars from the canvas on a boat-towed inner-tube where I wedged my feet between the tube and canvas when I was around 12. A chicken-pox scar in the middle of my forehead, which quite a few other people seem to have, too. And lots of small, not-that-easy-to-see scars across the backs of my hands and forearms from cat and dog wrangling as a profession.

Top to bottom…

Forehead, a crescent shaped scar where I decided to test the strength of my head to the corner of a table when I was creeping in body cast…around 8 months old…mom butterflied it closed.

Inside lip and not visible, scar where I fell forwards and hit my mouth on a footboard of a bed. Knocked my top front teeth into my lower lip…lots of blood, ER visit…I was 4 at the time.

Left hand in the webbing between thumb and forefinger. Almost triangular shaped puncture scar. I was trying to open, of all things, a SAFETY SEAL on a bottle of juice and the knife went through my hand instead. I was standing in the kitchen screaming and bleeding…then husband took me into the bathroom and put my hand under cold water…with his head turned the other way…I was 28 at the time

Abdomen is about a 7 inch long by 3/4 inch wide scar that saved my life. 24 staples, 4 hours of surgery and cardiac arrest to repair a perforated bowel in 7 places, when I was 20.

Spine is a scar that goes from the center of my spine to tailbone, very thin. Not sure how many stitches. Had 2 titanium rods and a screw put into my back to repair 2 fractured and separated vertebrae from car accident (see bowel) when I was 21.

Right hip has 2 kind of nasty looking scars from pediatric hip replacement. Born with congenital hip dysplasia. I had one surgery when I was about 4 months old and the other when I was about 3.

Right leg near knee has 2 traction scars from pediatric hip surgery. I was in the “frog” position. Ex husband referred to the one on the inside of my leg as looking like a Dorito chip.

Left calf in back, almost faded completely. I cut myself with a safety razor in the shower when I was about 18. Stupidly stopped the bleeding with cotton balls…scar is pretty much gone…but don’t use that brand of razor any more!!!