Passing of KnitWit, occasional Doper

So yesterday I’m looking at my Facebook page and it tells me that Laura McBrierty has a birthday today. And I am reminded that Laura and I haven’t talked much in the last year – she got busy with work and stuff and so did I – and I go over to her page to wish her a Happy Birthday and remind her that I want to be better about keeping in touch.

And she threw a blood clot in June and passed away.

Oh, so sad, so sad, I didn’t know.

She was an occasional poster at the Dope. I always enjoyed her postings. And she reached out to me in times of stress and trouble and said some very nice things. That’s what I remember most about her, she was sweet and funny and kind, so very kind.

http://duffyfuneralhome.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=1181129&fh_id=10960

::: sigh :::

I’m sorry to hear of her passing.

(Is it just me though, or is ‘special friend’ a little offputting to use as shorthand for a significant other?)

I’m sorry to hear of her passing. :frowning: She’s the same age as my brother; I hate hearing of people younger than I passing, and it’s a reminder that anyone can go at any time.

(As far as the ‘special friend’ goes, I think as long as those who hear/read it know what it means, then it’s mission accomplished. ‘Boyfriend’, ‘Lover’, umm…can’t think of another term at the moment…they don’t seem to be any better words, especially as we don’t know the situation. They may have been seeing each other only a few months; who knows? It gets the point across, I think.)

So young and a knitter, too.

Another good person lost.

Awwww, so sad when it’s someone so young…RIP Laura.

That is so sad, she looked to be a really nice person, and as others have said, so young.

Such a tragedy! A lovely woman, gone too soon.

TubaDiva, the SDMB has been chugging along for roughly 13 years now, more if you include the AOL years. This sort of thing is likely to happen more often As Time Goes By ♫. I wonder if some currently non-posting Dopers might be deceased and we wouldn’t know it. Certainly if I passed suddenly, none of my non-online friends would know anything about how to notify anyone.

And not everyone can be WallyM7. :slight_smile:

Maybe I’d better put a note on the fridge. :frowning:

I suspect that KnitWit is someone who flew under the radar here by not posting very often, so if anyone can find some interesting posts from her and link them here that might be a nice way to help us all remember her.
I noticed that
she was a dog lover and seemed to have a sense of humor about when things would go wrong, like the fudge fiasco or the time her dog Spencer protested her V-Day plans.

Looking at the facebook page of her “special friend”, it looks like most of what he has posted since she died has been about how he misses her (a video of her smiling, a poem, photos involving her), so it does seem like they had a serious relationship. Seems like losing her has been very hard for him, so if anyone knows him then it looks like it might be a good idea to reach out to him.

I don’t recall her, but I feel that the Dope is lessened by her loss. RIP, knitwit.

I’m very sorry to hear about this. I didn’t know KnitWit that well, but she came across as a good person.

I remember some of her posts. Sad to hear that she’s gone. :frowning:

Hope Spencer is okay…I worry about what happens to beloved pets when their humans die.

I remember her because of the clever username. So sad… :frowning:

This reminds me that I have a note with my sister on whom outside the family to notify if I should die. One of the instructions is on how to contact the SDMB so that folks here would know.

I’m sorry to hear of any Doper passing.

The name sounds familiar, but yes, under the radar for the most part. RIP. :frowning:

Sad news. I wonder if the clot was related to this thread about a vein injury in 2009, which was also the last time she posted here.

I’m not familiar with the name, but the passing of any Doper, to me, is like losing a friend, whether we interacted or not.

Rest In Peace, Laura.

Bill

PS: She was a very attractive lady, TubaDiva, and I am sorry you’re missing your confidante and friend.

My condolences on the loss of a good friend Tuba.

Lots of good souls in Cedar Rapids. I’m sorry she’s one that left too soon.

Damn, just 41 years old. And a fellow knitter. So sad :frowning:

I hope wherever she is she’s at peace and happily knitting with the finest yarn in the universe :slight_smile: