How to answer "Do you know how fast you were going?"

So I’m driving along, the police car behind me turns on its light bar and I pull over. The police officer walks up and asks, “Do you know how fast you were going?”

I don’t feel like incriminating myself. How do I answer this?

You can answer ‘yes’ or ‘no’. The details don’t matter because you’re getting the ticket anyway.

“No, but I knew exactly where I was.”

Well, you would have to have a fairly well educated policeman to carry that off.

Why can’t you say “no”?

One school of thought is that you are simply picking the manner by which any additional offences are determined.

1. I have no idea. -> Driving without due care.
  2. About XX over the limit. -> Reckless driving.

Some of this probably depends upon how egregious the speeding was. If you are just over, and it is simply going to be a speeding ticket, it won’t matter. If you were being an idiot, and well over the limit, it is remarkable how many offences can be found for the one incident, especially if you are anything less than contrite after being pulled over.

Perhaps, “Well, I though I was driving under the limit, but because you have pulled me over I assume I must have been over.”

You could always say, “I’ll bet you’re about to tell me.”

You can…but then that’s evidence that you aren’t paying attention to your driving, and he might be more likely to write you up.

I usually say: “Somehow I get the feeling you are about to tell me.” (Big smile)
About half the time it breaks the ice and I get a warning, the other half the cop knocks off several MPH to lower the fine.
Either way works for me.

87.99 mph unfortunately. :mad:

Do any real-life officers ever say this?

My honest reply would be- “I really don’t know exactly, since my speedometer is broken. But I have a rough guess based on RPM’s and the gear I was in.”

Which is true, but how do I prove this to a police officer? Have him drive my car?

And yes, I know I should just get it fixed, but looking online it looks like a lot of money to figure out why and fix it. A 1999 Subaru Outback- could be the speedometer, one or both of two sensors, a wiring problem, etc. Plus parts after diagnosis, and more labor. So a speeding ticket may actually be cheaper.

I certainly had a cop in Florida ask me why I thought he stopped me.

I told him that my best guess was that I had been speeding, and that I hadn’t been watching my speed closely (which was true.) I had been on a straight stretch with no traffic and let my foot get a bit heavy.

He let me off with a scolding.

This has been my experience, except for not getting off with a scolding.

Yes, the last time I was pulled over. He asked and I told him the speed I believed I was going.

Sir, I know my bearing and my pitch, but not my airspeed.

Every single one in my long and varied experience with speeding tickets.

Officer, I know! It was sooooo scary!

I decline to answer that question on the grounds that it might incriminate me.

I can only assume you’ve never been pulled over. In my experience, they always open with a question.

What can I say? Driving 45 years and I’ve never been pulled over. Ever. For any reason.

You amateurs on the road scare me to death. :eek:

:stuck_out_tongue: