Please recommend a Pride and Prejudice sequel or "variation"

I have discovered this… er, sub-genre recently. There’s a bunch of 'em! I have recently read Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife by Linda Berdoll and I will probably continue with its sequel, Darcy & Elizabeth: Nights and Days at Pemberley. But I have also found:

Conviction by Skylar Hamilton Burris
The Darcys of Pemberley by Shannon Winslow
Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James
Georgiana Darcy’s Diary and Pemberley to Waterloo by Anna Elliott
His Good Opinion by Nancy Kelley
Mr. Darcy’s Diary by Amanda Grange
Mr. Darcy’s Letter by Abigail Reynolds

These are all available from Kindle. I have the samples. I haven’t read all the samples yet, but they seem to be all over the map stylistically.

And are there any sequels to any other Jane Austen books?

(And I’m not interested in any books with vampires or zombies or whatever. I’ve got Jane Slayre already, and I’m guessing it’s a one-joke premise.)

I don’t have any to offer - I have only read Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife :eek: but I would like to hear from anyone who has read Death Comes to Pemberley because that sounds quite good to me.

It’s not so much a sub-genre as a whole industry. There is no end to the spin-offs, sequels, time-travel adventures, mysteries, and whatnot that reference Jane Austen. Some books just have “Jane Austen” or something in the title, which will guarantee it a place on the best-seller list. Usually they’re about P&P but I’ve seen some about S&S and Emma by Joan Aiken. I think I even read Mansfield Park from the POV of the ‘bad girl’ character or something, long ago.
I liked Shannon Hale’s Austenland recently, but it’s not historical fiction.

I’ve enjoyed Pemberly: Pride and Prejudice Revisted by Emma Tennant. It picks up after the wedding and has Elizabeth learning to become the mistress of a great house and winning over Georgiana.

StG

Pride & Prejudice & zombies. It’s actually pretty good. Maintains quite a bit of Austin’s tone but adds zombies on the loose.

Sense & Sensibility and Sea Monsters is entertaining also.

Carrie Bebris has written a series of mystery novels in which Mr. and Mrs. Darcy meet characters from other Jane Austen novels and wind up solving various mysteries (sometimes murders, but often not). They’re pretty entertaining, although the first one, Pride and Prescience, has the stupidest resolution of any mystery I have ever read.

If you’re willing to branch out into movies, I’m particularly fond of “Bride and Prejudice,” a Bollywood homage. Even my musical-hating sister the English teacher loved it.

I just finished reading Death Comes to Pemberley and I loved it. It’s written in the same style as Austen and a great mystery.

I just gave that to my wife for Christmas. The reviews have been quite good. Here’s one: http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/death-comes-to-pemberley-by-pd-james/2011/11/30/gIQAqc21dO_story.html

John Kessel’s “Pride and Prometheus” in his collection The Baum Plan for Financial Independence. I think it’s still available for free download. The POV character is one of the other sisters, who meets a quiet and mysterious young doctor from the Continent. A great read, as is the rest of the book. The “society of Cousins” stories are amazing!

There’s also Lost in Austen, about a modern-day Austen fan who magically switches places with Elizabeth, and she works her way through the plot while knowing everything that’s supposed to happen. Even she is surprised sometimes, though, for instance finding out that Darcy’s sister …

… is a lesbian.

Oh dear. I’m afraid I loathed it enough to walk out of the theatre - the first time I have ever done that while watching a movie. Everyone else with me felt just the same. Just after the interval (this was in India, you always have intervals), we looked at each other, rose unanimously and walked out.

I happened to see “Pride and Promiscuity: The Lost Sex Scenes of Jane Austen” at the airport the other day, but I hasten to add that I did not buy it or even pick it up, as I have no wish to cheapen this already sordid industry, but I throw it out there as a data point to allow less discerning souls to exercise their choice! :wink:

"Oh, Mr. Knightley… Mr. Knightley!"

There was also Mr Darcy’s Daughters. My wife (a big P&P fan) read it, but I don’t recall her opinion of it.

I am making notes. Thanks to all for your info, and keep it coming!

(Currently reading Darcy & Elizabeth)

There’s “The Darcys and the Bingleys”, which I stumbled across at the library a year or so back. I wound up not having a chance to read it before it was due back.

Colleen McCullough wrote a slight (for her) but entertaining novel called The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet that I quite enjoyed.

I saw that a while ago, and IIRC…[spoiler]… it wasn’t Georgiana who was a lesbian, it was Caroline Bingley.

Another change that movie made to the plot was that Wickham is actually a decent guy, and Georgiana pursued him and when he rejected her she told Darcy that Wickham “ravished” her.[/spoiler]

Worth mentioning as a fun read – Lost in Austen. It’s the book, and nothing like the movie. It’s written in a Choose-Your-Own-Adeventure style. You are Elizabeth Bennett and get to do things like decide whether she turns left or right at the path (one way send you on to Netherfield, the other has you immediately killed by gypsies!). You can accept Collins’ proposal. You can even deviate from P&P and end up in one of the other Austen stories. Cute idea and fun read, though nothing great.

Jane Austen bits even sneak into books as cameos. There’s a Jane Austen (-ish?) minor character in Snuff, the latest Pratchett book. It makes a nice little zing at the end of the epilog when it’s stated that, after a rousing bit of encouragement from Vimes, her sisters go on to various careers and she publishes a book titled:

Pride and Extreme Prejudice.

The spoiler is for those who haven’t read Snuff and would like to retain the zing.