The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 01-12-2012, 12:27 PM

Cats And Cigarette Smoke In Fur

My son (a smoker) is staying with us for a while to help me take care of his mother.

Both he and his wife go outside to smoke, but don't realize that the stink remains on them, and Bert is so loving he'll get up into anyone's lap to be petted.

Well, the smell has gotten into his hair, and so I am wondering what I can get (as spray) to take the smell off? He likes to snuggle up with me and Dondra and the smell is awful.

We don't know what else to do except isolate Bert, but that isn't fair, because it isn't his fault.

Any ideas, guys?

Thanks

Q
Old 01-12-2012, 01:57 PM

I use Febreze to de-stinkify my own hair. Be careful not to spray any in his eyes, but it might work. Also, there is a spray they spray on dogs at the kennel before you pick 'em up -- the techs call it "go home spray" because it freshens 'em up so they don't smell so dog-kennel-y. I've seen it in pet stores, but I suspect that Febreze is probably less expensive and/or is the same thing.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:58 PM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

You can get "waterless shampoo" for cats and dogs, so I would go that route. You want something safe for kitty to ingest because you know he's going to be licking his fur. If you have a PetCo or a PetSmart near you, go there and look in the grooming aisle. You'll find something!

DON'T use dryer sheets. They leave residue that is harmful to the cat when licked off.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

I wouldn't use Febreze, even if you're careful to avoid his eyes he'll lick it off his fur. Beyond that, I don't know - maybe sponge him down with a little vinegar or something.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:40 AM

What about rubbing baking soda into his fur?
Old 01-13-2012, 10:50 AM

Don't use Febreze. I used it on my dog once and his hair fell out where he was sprayed. It says right on the bottle, don't use on pets. (He had rolled in something dead and I was waiting for my husband to get home to help me bathe the dog.)
Old 01-13-2012, 04:25 PM

Yeah, humans can spray Febreze on themselves because we don't groom ourselves with our own tongues - cats are far more delicate as far as topical chemicals go. They do, however, sell pet-freshening sprays at any big-box pet store.

Is Bert a bathe-able cat?
Old 01-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space

Since you're looking for advice, I'll move this to our advice forum, IMHO.

twickster, MPSIMS moderator
Old 01-13-2012, 04:43 PM

I wonder if dilute vinegar would work? Just rubbed over his fur, maybe. I guess smelling like a tossed salad would be better than stale cigarette smoke.

Other than that, I'd check a good pet store for cat-safe products, or with your vet. Cats are very sensitive to quite a few different substances, some of which are harmful or lethal.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

I'd like to piggy back on the OP's question.

Is there any thing I can use to de-static-fy my cat? In the winter time my cats turn into walking tesla coils. No one wants to get cuddly with that.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:52 PM

Or how about I just I just beat the living SHIT out of my son for stinking up my sweet fur-baby, huh?

THAT would work, wouldn't it?

Q
Old 01-13-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
Or how about I just I just beat the living SHIT out of my son for stinking up my sweet fur-baby, huh?

THAT would work, wouldn't it?

Q
Well...it might make you feel better, but the cat would still smell of stale smoke.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:12 PM

Yeah, I know.

It's just that Bert is just so precious to me, y'all!!!

He's MY KITTY, and I cannot have him smelling like that.

He and I have a history.

Bill
Old 01-13-2012, 05:43 PM

NO FEBREZE. Never ever, EVER, put something on a cat that you're supposed to call Poison Control if you ingest it. Cats schlorp on themselves like it's a paying job, so they WILL ingest anything you put on their fur or skin. Feel free to spray anything of the sort on your son, though.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the cologne sprays -- I think they stink worse than cigarette smoke and also they tend to set off my allergies. Dry shampoo is my personal preference, since it's usually odorless and can be gotten just about anywhere that carries pet supplies. There are also little towelettes with destinker on them, though those can be harder to find.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:47 PM

If worse comes to worst, would poor Bert tolerate a bath?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:54 PM

Petsmart sells a baby wipes style product that you can use to wipe a cat down. I'd try using something like that right before bedtime.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:04 PM

Oh, I bought some of those to use on our Alfie.. Near as I can tell, they're wildly overpriced baby wipes. I would think that an ultra-mild baby wipe would be OK.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Buy a bottle of something like this. Nice smell, lasts for a couple of days, and is made for pets.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:12 PM

What about rubbing his fur with a Bounce sheet?
Old 01-13-2012, 07:26 PM

I'd guess it's mostly coming from their hands while petting the cat. Could your son and his wife wash their hands after smoking?
Old 01-13-2012, 07:57 PM

I would be less worried about the smell than about whatever nasty smoke chemicals the poor cat has to lick off his fur. I think I would be asking them to stay away from him if they have just been smoking. I've known more than one cat with emphysema caused by second hand smoke.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:56 PM

Of course the easiest solution would be for you to start smoking. A couple weeks and you wouldn't even notice it.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:56 PM

Oral and throat cancers in animals have been linked to smoke residue being licked from fur. Perhaps if the smokers wear an overcoat, a robe, even, outside while they're smoking? You know, a posh smoking jacket. Something that will take the majority of the smoke and that can be taken off and hung on a hook once back inside? If they're just in their regular around-the-house clothes, all the smoke is just settling right where the cat will rub while in a lap.

I know they're helping you, but how much of their disgusting habit are you supposed to put up with? Perhaps if there was a smoking area for them farther from the door, too. So many smokers are opening the door and coming in as they're putting the cigarette out, and all that stink follows them. They need to stay outside and "air out" a little after the fire's put out.

There are "pet wipes" available, and those are probably safe enough and probably the easiest to use. I'd imagine they're right by wherever the waterless shampoo and other grooming products are in the "cats" section at Petsmart.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
What about rubbing his fur with a Bounce sheet?

Once again, that would just make the poor thing sick. Seriously, you might just have to give kitty a bath. Been there, done that. It's not fun, but you gotta do whatcha gotta do.

Try giving a kitten who hates to be held a bath after she fell in the toilet.