Best diner-style breakfast? [Need answer fast!]

There’s too much frou-frou food in the area of downtown I’m in. I want a really good, greasy-spoon type breakfast. Tomorrow might be my last chance while I’m here to have a little bit of time to strike out on my own and get a good breakfast somewhere. I have no car, so it would have to be easily reachable by subway or within walking distance. I am a huge fan of pancakes (Cracker Barrel has some of my favorite restaurant pancakes, if that helps). I had breakfast at Eggsperience Cafe this morning and was quite disappointed.

I’m near State and Grand (in River North, I think?) if that helps.

In that neck of the woods, a short stack and bacon or roast beef hash (your taste may run more to corned beef hash though), eggs and toast. It’s been a few years since I’ve breakfasted in that neighborhood, so I really can’t help you with a particular greasy spoon.

You should also be able to get some other diner items that are associated more with other parts of the country. Here in teh south, my go-to is country ham, two over easy, grits, sliced tomatoes (in season) and a biscuit. The midwest in general is good for biscuits and sausage gravy. I like bagels and lox or an omelet on the east coast or chorizo and eggs with tortillas in the southwest. Waffles just about anywhere in the country.

Long story short, you should be able to find any of these via an online restaurant guide and public transportation in Chicago.

Sounds like you need Lou Mitchell’s restaurant.

This looks to be up my alley. I’ll give it a shot. Thanks!

I have to disagree with that. Lou is great for some things, like their fresh-squeezed orange juice, but it isn’t what I’d call a diner.

Just down the street is the White Palace Grill at 1159 Canal. It’s a diner, and I had the best omelet I’ve ever had in my life there. Also, the White Palace lacks Lou’s crotchety wait staff.

West Egg 600 something North Fairbanks.

Well, it worked well for me. Granted, it might be considered a little nicer than true diner food, but it was the general idea of what I was looking for. Counter seating, not fancy, good stuff. Also, my coworkers loved and devoured the donut holes I brought to the office.

Everyone I encountered was extremely friendly. Nevertheless, if I come back to Chicago and am here during a weekend (which, at this point, seems likely), I will give your place a try!

You might try Yelp for a search. Just click on River North and search for “breakfast” or “diner” and you get lots of hits.

I finally got around to trying White Palace this morning. VERY good call on this one – thanks! I’ll be back there again.

Glad you enjoyed it. What did you get?

Ham-and-cheese omelet with pancakes. I’ll probably try the French toast next time around.

I’m hoping to go to Chicago in April and will hit BOTH of these places.

See, I rarely have anything other than my normal oatmeal for breakfast, as I can’t really afford to blow my carbs on breakfast if I want a more normal dinner, but those sound good. I treat myself to hardcore carby pancakes or waffles once a year [christmas breakfast, if you must know - mrAru makes absolutely killer waffles]

I’m a low-carb kind of guy myself, but I love a good diner breakfast. Omelet with sausages or bacon, and tomato slices on the side; can’t beat it!

I’m on Atkins and usually get the “Meat Lover’s Omelet” at White Palace. Ham, sausage, bacon and cheese. The only thing I don’t like is that they won’t substitute the carb sides.

I know this is late but you guys have a funny idea of what’s close to Asimovian’s starting point of State and Grand.

Personally I would head over to Ohio House.
Nice and greasy-spoony, close, and very affordable.

You’re killing me. I saw the “Ohio House” sign several times, but had no idea it was a coffee shop. And I just left Chicago for good this morning. :smack:

Sorry - but rememmber it for the next time you’re in town.