Pill Identification

I found a couple of pills in an old suitcase of ours and am wondering what they are. They are oval, peach/yellow, and say 40 in black on one side. I looked online and can’t find anything that looks like them so far.

Pharmacies will accept these for disposal, correct?

You don’t need to bring them to the pharmacy. Just put them in a bag and put water in it and throw it in the trash. Or just throw it in the trash.

You could try this site to figure it out. But if you’re not all that concerned, just toss them in the garbage (that’s all the pharmacist is going to do).

Yes, pharmacies would be happy to dispose of them properly for you, keeping them out of our waterways. Especially if you don’t know what it is, it’s best not to put it in the trash or to flush it.

Is there anything on the other side? There are some neat online pill identifier programs, but I’m not coming up with an exact match from that description. Wanna try it yourself?

Protonix? Oxycodone? Those both are similar to what you are describing. Have you been prescribed either of these meds in the past?

Why don’t you just take it, and see what happens? Where’s your sense of adventure?

:stuck_out_tongue:

This is what I thought (most likely after reading similar advice here on the boards) and took some to my local pharmacy. I was told they could not accept them and that I should mix them into something like coffee grounds and throw them in the trash.

Where do you live, if you don’t mind me asking? Here (Chicagoland),I haven’t found a pharmacy that won’t take old meds, although I grant you that I have no idea if they *actually *dispose of them in a superior manner.

Yes, this is why I’d rather the pharmacy dispose of it. Flushing or tossing in the trash is not a great idea (especially flushing).

No, I’ve never been prescribed Protonix or Oxycodone. I almost wonder if it isn’t something I picked up on one of our trips to South and Central America.

Thanks for the help!

Tossing it in the trash is exactly what the FDA recommends for most drugs. Crush it up a little and put it in with kitty litter or coffee grounds and throw it away, unless the drug label says otherwise.

My pharmacy wouldn’t take back meds for disposal, and we actually printed the FDA page and would let people look it over when they’d argue.

FYI, “pharmacy disposal” means we throw it in the trash. Don’t flush it. Just throw it away. It’s a waste of time to take it to the pharmacy.

Signed,
Your friendly pharmacy representative.

Seriously…one, or even two, of any pill is unlikely to do you serious harm. I say take them, see what happens.

They could be those old cyanide pills that grandpa kept from the war. :smiley:

I’m trying to get pregnant and am likely starting IVF in about two weeks. So there is no way in hell I’m taking anything I am not sure about.

Besides, I have an allergy to sulpha drugs, and since we can’t figure out what this is, and I’m home alone, I wouldn’t take it anyhow.

You guys would seriously take it? What if it was, like, heavy duty oxycodone or morphine or something? Scary.

I don’t think there’s a single “heavy duty oxycodone” pill (yeah yeah, there’s oxycontin, but that’s not what the post said) that are going to be more potent then taking a couple of ‘regular’ Percocets or Vicodins at once, which I’ve done on countless occasions in my life. A single oxycodone (or a few) really aren’t scary. Though I’ve never taken a morphine pill.
But still, I wouldn’t take an unidentified pill. Did you take a look at the Pill ID websites?

Yeah, I did look through the sites and found nothing that resembles it. The only possibility is that perhaps Canadian pills are marked differently then US for some reason, and the US pill look up sites don’t contain all the Canadian pills.

(Sorry I didn’t mention where I was from in the OP, I just realized it might make a difference!)

Oxycontin is oxycodone. It comes in 80mg pills, which aren’t meant for acute pain control, but chronic pain in people who have been on opioids for a long time. A single one in an opiate-naive person could cause respiratory arrest.

Y’know, if these were oxycodone, which they aren’t. But there are plenty of drugs that could seriously injure you with just a single dose. And there are even more street drugs of dubious origin that look like pharmaceutical drugs (pill molds and capsule machines are cheap) that could seriously mess you up.

Oh! Wait a sec…(runs to the cabinet)…Rosouvastatin, or Crestor, 40mg? Except, as you say, the 40 on yours is in black. Hmmm… Fake Crestor? Crestor doesn’t have a generic equivalent yet (or does it? I’m not sure, but the VA sends the brand name stuff), so it’s expensive. Any chance someone found a great deal on Crestor over the internet?

I know that, I just didn’t want someone coming along and saying Oxycontin is 80mg of oxycodone and would count as a heavy duty oxycodone pill. It’s also a time release pill and would have to (IMHO) be chewed to count as ‘heavy duty’.

I have no idea, I just know it’s a clinical alert drug in my drug book, and if I give it to a patient who’s never had opioids before, I can lose my nursing license.