The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-24-2012, 07:47 AM
CheeseDonkey CheeseDonkey is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Russians and Dash Cams

Do all Russians/Eastern Europeans have dash cams in their cars or something?

It seems like every time I see a video in which a civilian catches something, like a crash, on a car's dash cam, said civilian is Russian or Eastern European.

Like this:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/82220688/

That's just one example out of tons I could post if I wasn't so lazy.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 01-24-2012, 08:01 AM
steronz steronz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
In support of your claim, I give you 50 crashes from Russian dash cams:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=703_1323778769

And I'm also in for an answer. I have a camera set up in my track car, but I don't typically just drive around recording stuff. Maybe the roads in Russia are much more interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-24-2012, 09:01 AM
Dog80 Dog80 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
In soviet Russia the cam dashes you!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-24-2012, 09:23 AM
cantara cantara is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Ukrainian Police cars are outfitted with dash cams.

Anecdote: My father recently visited his parents hometown in Ukraine and was pulled over by the police for speeding. His broken Ukrainian was enough to let the officers know that he was foreign and they demanded a couple of hundred dollars in cash to let him go, or he would have to go through the paperwork in Kiev for a couple of days while they hold on to his passport. He stated that he didn't have that much with him and had to ask his companion for more money. He went to his car and was walking back to the police holding the bills. The police officer chastized him for displaying the money because of the camera recording the proceedings.

I wonder if the civilian dash cams are to capture these types of corruption...although what the citizen would do with the footage, I can't imagine.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Fubaya Fubaya is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Smartphones can work as dash cams. Maybe that's just a really popular thing to do with them there.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-24-2012, 10:57 AM
ducati ducati is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
It's like there's not 9 working brain cells in the entire Soviet Bloc.

I thought I had it bad. I've had cameras front and rear for years, because shit happens every day.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Nunzio Tavulari Nunzio Tavulari is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
NM

Last edited by Nunzio Tavulari; 01-24-2012 at 05:20 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-24-2012, 05:51 PM
SanibelMan SanibelMan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Is looking over your shoulder considered a rude gesture or something? So many of those accidents were people just pulling out and taking it as a given that the other drivers would stop for them.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-24-2012, 06:22 PM
samclem samclem is offline
graphite is a great moderator
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 21,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog80 View Post
In soviet Russia the cam dashes you!
Dog80. In General Questions, we like to let the thread get answered as factually as possible before trotting out the tiredest meme in the world.
Last poster who did this------I went ballistic on his ass. In your case, I'll just suggest you learn from your faux pas.

No warning issued.

samclem, Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Dr. Strangelove Dr. Strangelove is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
I can't find the video anymore, but recently I saw one--again, in Russia--of a woman who intentionally backed into a stopped car behind her. As best I can tell, it was intended to be some kind of insurance fraud, and it would hardly surprise me if this were so commonplace there that dashcams have become a popular defensive measure.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-24-2012, 06:43 PM
Throatwarbler Mangrove Throatwarbler Mangrove is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
I can't find the video anymore, but recently I saw one--again, in Russia--of a woman who intentionally backed into a stopped car behind her. As best I can tell, it was intended to be some kind of insurance fraud, and it would hardly surprise me if this were so commonplace there that dashcams have become a popular defensive measure.
If this is the same video I saw, I don't think it was intentional, the woman in the BMW just wanted to park in front of the bus and backed up without checking. You would think a BMW X5 would have some kind of backup warning/camera.

I have dash cams on my cars here, and on our car in China. It's a good thing to have in places where the rule of law isn't very strong.

Last edited by Throatwarbler Mangrove; 01-24-2012 at 06:44 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Dr. Strangelove Dr. Strangelove is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throatwarbler Mangrove View Post
If this is the same video I saw, I don't think it was intentional, the woman in the BMW just wanted to park in front of the bus and backed up without checking. You would think a BMW X5 would have some kind of backup warning/camera.
It's hard to say since I was just reading body language, but it looked to me like the woman had a very serious attitude shift when the man pointed out his dashcam. I thought this indicated some kind of scam, but it could be she was just aggressive.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-24-2012, 09:40 PM
t-bonham@scc.net t-bonham@scc.net is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanibelMan View Post
Is looking over your shoulder considered a rude gesture or something? So many of those accidents were people just pulling out and taking it as a given that the other drivers would stop for them.
Some of it seems to be a really poor infrastructure in those countries. So blame it on a really poor government.

Many of them show very busy intersections on major roads, but with no traffic control devices (stoplights) at all. That, to me, is astonishing -- why hasn't the city installed stoplights at that intersection?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-25-2012, 12:46 AM
CheeseDonkey CheeseDonkey is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
I read this on Reddit whilst looking for an answer to the question:

"I asked a friend who lived in Moscow for the last 3 years. according to her it is so cops won't just take your bribe and then arrest you anyway."

http://www.reddit.com/r/self/comment...torist_have_a/
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-25-2012, 12:55 AM
Yorikke Yorikke is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
I can't find the video anymore, but recently I saw one--again, in Russia--of a woman who intentionally backed into a stopped car behind her. As best I can tell, it was intended to be some kind of insurance fraud, and it would hardly surprise me if this were so commonplace there that dashcams have become a popular defensive measure.
I saw a ridiculous one - also Russian or Ukrainian - in which the car (with dash cam) slowed down to almost a stop to let a pedestrian cross, at which time the pedestrian stopped, looked at the driver, and did a comical leap directly in front of the car. Dah cam very handy there.

ETA : Fantastic question. I've wondered the same thing - it's always, just always Russian when there's a non-police dash cam involved.

Joe

Last edited by Yorikke; 01-25-2012 at 12:58 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-24-2012, 10:46 PM
elmwood elmwood is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 9,281
The answer: it's because insurance fraud is a growing problem in Russia. Drivers are installing the cams to provide proof of the circumstances regarding an accident.

http://jalopnik.com/5886439/watch-th...deos/gallery/1
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-22-2012, 02:21 AM
nwfall nwfall is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Greetings!

Looks like you need an authoritative answer to your question. I'm from Russia so I'll try to do it. (And I apologize for my English)

I live in Perm - one of the largest cities in Russia. There is an urgent need in a dash cam here because there are a lot of inadequate drivers on the road who ignore the traffic rules. Some of them just have bought the driving license and doesn't know how to drive correctly, some of them not able to comply with the rules because of a sense of great superiority over the others.

It's quite often to see a Land Cruiser passing on the red light or a BMW x5 crossing the double solid road markings or cutting you off. Almost nobody follows the speed limit. Car flow slowing down only under the sight of the road cameras speeding again just passing them. Do those drivers know the secret of immortality? Car crash statistics shows they dont.

In case of an accident with an expensive car by it's drivers fault you could be sure that he knows the right people to make you the culprit.

Here's an example from real life: My friend stood parked on the roadside. The car in front of him began to reverse. As a result, two large dents left on the hood. The guy said to the cops that this is my friend moved into him from behind while he stood still. The guy lied, despite the fact that his car was almost not damaged.

I've found a good article in english which also may answer your question. It truthfully discribes the road situation in more details.

Hope this reply will help since i've been writing it for a hour because of my bad English

If you have more questions I'll try to answer.

Last edited by nwfall; 08-22-2012 at 02:24 AM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-22-2012, 02:42 AM
voltaire voltaire is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Welcome to the forum, nwfall!

Thanks for providing us with an answer to the question. Your English is really good, but the only way to make it even better is to practice. So why don't you stick around and participate in any of the other subjects that interest you? We could always use more perspective from your part of the world. Hope to see you around!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-22-2012, 02:50 AM
mhendo mhendo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmwood View Post
The answer: it's because insurance fraud is a growing problem in Russia. Drivers are installing the cams to provide proof of the circumstances regarding an accident.

http://jalopnik.com/5886439/watch-th...deos/gallery/1
Jesus, did you watch the last video in that collection, of the guy on the Yamaha R1? My palms were sweating just sitting in front of my computer.

Welcome, nwfall. Your English is pretty damn good.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-22-2012, 02:58 AM
Princhester Princhester is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 11,287
Thanks for your answer nwfall, please stick around. And your English is good, thanks for the hour long effort to write your answer.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-22-2012, 03:07 AM
user_hostile user_hostile is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Near KIAD
Posts: 1,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwfall View Post
Greetings!

Looks like you need an authoritative answer to your question. I'm from Russia so I'll try to do it. (And I apologize for my English)

I live in Perm - one of the largest cities in Russia. There is an urgent need in a dash cam here because there are a lot of inadequate drivers on the road who ignore the traffic rules. Some of them just have bought the driving license and doesn't know how to drive correctly, some of them not able to comply with the rules because of a sense of great superiority over the others.

It's quite often to see a Land Cruiser passing on the red light or a BMW x5 crossing the double solid road markings or cutting you off. Almost nobody follows the speed limit. Car flow slowing down only under the sight of the road cameras speeding again just passing them. Do those drivers know the secret of immortality? Car crash statistics shows they dont.

In case of an accident with an expensive car by it's drivers fault you could be sure that he knows the right people to make you the culprit.

Here's an example from real life: My friend stood parked on the roadside. The car in front of him began to reverse. As a result, two large dents left on the hood. The guy said to the cops that this is my friend moved into him from behind while he stood still. The guy lied, despite the fact that his car was almost not damaged.

I've found a good article in english which also may answer your question. It truthfully discribes the road situation in more details.

Hope this reply will help since i've been writing it for a hour because of my bad English

If you have more questions I'll try to answer.
You can see the Straight Dope in Russia? I was under the impression that it was blocked by the great some sort of post-Soviet firewall; regardless, I'm glad you've decided to join the finest Board on the planet Earth and maybe Mars (we're trying to get Curiosity to join, but seems to ignore our appeals). Welcome aboard, nwfall.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.