The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-01-2012, 03:26 PM
smaje1 smaje1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
A punch to the back of the neck is named after what animal?

I was watching the Soup today -- it was a tivo holdover from a couple of weeks ago, I think -- and they showed a clip from an episode of Jeopardy! wherein the answer went something like this:

A punch to the back of the neck is commonly associated with what kind of animal?

And one guy answered "Donkey."

The clip on the Soup was making fun of the guy for his answer.

But...umm...that's totally the answer I would have given, too. Am I a total perv? What's the correct answer?

I know I can easily do a search on this, but I'm interested to know how many Dopers know the right answer, and which Dopers are apparently utter pervs like me.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 02-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Lukeinva Lukeinva is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Rabbit.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-01-2012, 03:28 PM
JThunder JThunder is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
It's a rabbit punch. I learned this from Compton's Encyclopedia back in my youth.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Mr. Accident Mr. Accident is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
I've always referred to it as a rabbit punch, and so has the majority of the books I read where such a move is used.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-01-2012, 03:30 PM
steronz steronz is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
I've never heard of a rabbit punch, but I've heard of a donkey punch, so count me in the perv column. Was the contestant unconsciously being a perv, or did he figure "I don't know the answer, so I may as well get on The Soup?"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Zsofia Zsofia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
I'd have said donkey and then thought immediately "oh crap isn't that one of those fake sex things?"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Hampshire Hampshire is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 9,467
Hm. Shows what I know. I always thought a rabbit punch was a direct jab to the face.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-01-2012, 03:32 PM
brocks brocks is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaje1 View Post
Am I a total perv?
I don't think a single Jeopardy question gives us sufficient information to make a decision on that.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-01-2012, 03:39 PM
KneadToKnow KneadToKnow is offline
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 24,030
I always thought a rabbit punch was a punch to the kidneys while in a clinch.

Learned something new today, I did.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-01-2012, 03:40 PM
lisiate lisiate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
I thought rabbits went for the kidneys too.

I'd have answered donkey without a second thought.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-01-2012, 03:44 PM
hogarth hogarth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
I learned about the existence of rabbit punches from the Top Secret roleplaying game; that was one of the deadlier options in melee combat. But I also went through life thinking it meant a punch to the kidneys, for some reason. I think I learned the true meaning of rabbit punching about a year ago.

Last edited by hogarth; 02-01-2012 at 03:45 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Shodan Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 25,716
With fear and trembling I ask, what is a donkey punch, and why does it make you a perv?

Regards,
Shodan

PS - I always called it a rabbit punch. That's how rabbits are traditionally killed.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-01-2012, 03:52 PM
running coach running coach is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 15,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeinva View Post
Rabbit.
Duck season.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-01-2012, 03:53 PM
sitchensis sitchensis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2010
Rabbit, I think I asked my Dad after watching Rocky
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-01-2012, 03:55 PM
TriPolar TriPolar is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
It's a rabbit punch. The only explanation I've heard is that rabbit punching is often a series of small rapid punches to the back of the head or neck, similar to a rabbit's defensive motion with it's rear feet if you grab it. That one sounds barely credible to me.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-01-2012, 03:55 PM
KneadToKnow KneadToKnow is offline
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 24,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
With fear and trembling I ask, what is a donkey punch, and why does it make you a perv?
I'll direct you to Urban Dictionary, which is where I had to learn about it after Robot Chicken used the term as the title of an episode.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 02-01-2012 at 03:56 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-01-2012, 03:56 PM
TriPolar TriPolar is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner pat View Post
Duck season.
If you duck, you won't get hit with a rabbit punch.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Dr. Strangelove Dr. Strangelove is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
A while back there was a similar double answer, with the initial selection being risque but "wrong":

Alex: This term for a long-handled gardening tool can also mean an immoral pleasure seeker.
Ken Jennings: What is a hoe?
Alex: Woah... they teach you that in school in Utah?
Al: What is a rake?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Ken001 Ken001 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Rabbit Punch. A sharp blow to the back of the neck.

A rabbit punch derives from the method used by gamekeepers to dispatch a rabbit which they have caught. Think of holding a rabbit in one hand and striking its neck with the edge of your other hand. The term appears to date from the 17th century but I haven't accessed Oxford for the full etymology.

Last edited by Ken001; 02-01-2012 at 04:04 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-01-2012, 04:07 PM
TriPolar TriPolar is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken001 View Post
Rabbit Punch. A sharp blow to the back of the neck.

A rabbit punch derives from the method used by gamekeepers to dispatch a rabbit which they have caught. Think of holding a rabbit in one hand and striking its neck with the edge of your other hand. The term appears to date from the 17th century but I haven't accessed Oxford for the full etymology.
Thank you. That makes a lot more sense.

ETA: Maybe you could give us the donkey punch etymology also.

Last edited by TriPolar; 02-01-2012 at 04:08 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Der Trihs Der Trihs is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California
Posts: 36,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaje1 View Post
A punch to the back of the neck is named after what animal?
"Rabbit Punch". I know because I looked it up fairly recently when making a City of Heroes character, a melee fighter named Rabbit Punch who is a rabbit-girl who, well, punches people a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Cunctator Cunctator is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bowral, NSW, Australia
Posts: 10,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaje1 View Post
but I'm interested to know how many Dopers know the right answer
I've never heard of the term "rabbit punch". I don't know what answer I'd have given to the question. Just some random animal I suppose. Dog?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-01-2012, 05:01 PM
The Great Sun Jester The Great Sun Jester is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
I've heard of a rabbit punch and know what it is. I would have answered donkey, though because ... well, no good reason. Donkey punch is just set as my default term for that action.

I contend, and have right here on the Dope, that the reason the sex term is "donkey punch" is because "donkey" is a naturally degrading modifier (and a donkey punch is certainly a degrading act) for just about any noun. Except cheese. donkey cheese is alright in my book.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Snowboarder Bo Snowboarder Bo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Rabbit punch: back of the neck.

Donkey punch: back of the head.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Chefguy Chefguy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 28,741
Never heard of a donkey punch, and I've been following boxing since the 60s. Rabbit punch almost always refers to a blow to the back of the neck or head, although sometimes it also refers to a punch to the kidneys in a clinch.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-01-2012, 05:24 PM
TriPolar TriPolar is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Never heard of a donkey punch, and I've been following boxing since the 60s. Rabbit punch almost always refers to a blow to the back of the neck or head, although sometimes it also refers to a punch to the kidneys in a clinch.
Donkey punch isn't a boxing term. Kidney punches should be called kidney punches, but the commentators do say that sometimes. The etymology may refer to the back of the neck, but in boxing it applies to the back of the head as well.

(I'm sure you know this stuff if you're a boxing fan, just putting it out there for the others)
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Dag Otto Dag Otto is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken001 View Post
Rabbit Punch. A sharp blow to the back of the neck.

A rabbit punch derives from the method used by gamekeepers to dispatch a rabbit which they have caught. Think of holding a rabbit in one hand and striking its neck with the edge of your other hand. The term appears to date from the 17th century but I haven't accessed Oxford for the full etymology.
So back to the donkey punch - Where do you hit a donkey to kill it?


I've been punching my donkey all day and it ain't dead yet.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Chopper9760 Chopper9760 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Rabbit Punch = back of the neck
Donkey Punch = throat

Why, oh why would you punch someone in the throat? Always seemed mean as hell to me and I never saw anyone punched in the throat but by golly we had a name for it.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-01-2012, 06:05 PM
drastic_quench drastic_quench is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
"No rabbit punches. No kidney punches. No low blows. I wanna see a nice clean fight."

Referee at the beginning of the majority of boxing matches.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-01-2012, 06:09 PM
YogSosoth YogSosoth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
The question is: Does a donkey punch actually work like its supposed to? Any Dopers want to volunteer answers if they've tested it out themselves?
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-01-2012, 06:13 PM
GreedySmurf GreedySmurf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
I always thought a rabbit punch was a punch to the kidneys while in a clinch.

Learned something new today, I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisiate View Post
I thought rabbits went for the kidneys too.

I'd have answered donkey without a second thought.
It's good to know I'm not the only one who thought that a rabbit punch was a short sharp blow to the kidneys.

I went hunting for it and there are quite a few sites which note that the kidney punch is also known as a rabbit punch.


As to the OP, my initial answer would have also been 'donkey'. But in my defence, I thought a rabbit punch meant to the kidneys.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-01-2012, 06:15 PM
GreedySmurf GreedySmurf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper9760 View Post
Why, oh why would you punch someone in the throat? Always seemed mean as hell to me and I never saw anyone punched in the throat but by golly we had a name for it.
Cause it frigging hurts? So says the guy that copped a paintball in the throat at point blank range despite having a full face mask on.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-01-2012, 07:09 PM
engineer_comp_geek engineer_comp_geek is offline
Robot Mod in Beta Testing
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreedySmurf View Post
It's good to know I'm not the only one who thought that a rabbit punch was a short sharp blow to the kidneys.
That's what I thought it was too. I've never heard of a rabbit punch as being to the neck or the head. I've only heard it as a kidney shot.

Put me in the perv donkey column as well.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-01-2012, 07:23 PM
UncaStuart UncaStuart is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: California
Posts: 699
Never heard of donkey punch.

Rabbit punch being one to the back of the neck is what it has meant in my experience.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Miller Miller is online now
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 36,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper9760 View Post
Rabbit Punch = back of the neck
Donkey Punch = throat

Why, oh why would you punch someone in the throat? Always seemed mean as hell to me and I never saw anyone punched in the throat but by golly we had a name for it.
My dad's advice if I ever got in a fight:

"Punch them in the throat, then run like hell."

Never actually put it into practice myself.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-01-2012, 08:15 PM
GuanoLad GuanoLad is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Where the wild roses grow
Posts: 19,838
So it's not a monkey punch, then?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-01-2012, 08:18 PM
samclem samclem is offline
graphite is a great moderator
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 21,725
It's a generational thing.

Originally, back around the early 20th Century, a rabbit punch was a punch to the back of the neck, the way you killed rabbits.

When I was growing up in the 1940s-1960s, it was to the kidneys.

Donkey Punch is way modern.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-01-2012, 08:34 PM
mnemosyne mnemosyne is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Montréal, Québec
Posts: 8,772
I've never heard of either term.

Forced to answer, I would have said a Bertuzzi, just for the laughs
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-01-2012, 08:36 PM
elfkin477 elfkin477 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NH
Posts: 19,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
It's a rabbit punch. The only explanation I've heard is that rabbit punching is often a series of small rapid punches to the back of the head or neck, similar to a rabbit's defensive motion with it's rear feet if you grab it.
I've heard of a rabbit punch as being small rapid punches. Never heard that it was to any particular target, though.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-01-2012, 08:58 PM
R. P. McMurphy R. P. McMurphy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
"No rabbit punches. No kidney punches. No low blows. I wanna see a nice clean fight."

Referee at the beginning of the majority of boxing matches.
I think the operative word is "commonly".

For years and years the boxing referee used to give final instructions in the ring and what drastic_quench quotes is what was heard over an over to anyone who ever watched boxing at all. It was a common instruction and almost everyone had heard it. Nowadays, the referee usually says something like "You know the rules, let's have a clean fight, now touch gloves." Rabbit punches are against the rules as are kidney punches because they both come from behind but they are actually different. It's easy to see how the definition could morph.

So, going along with drastic_quench's quote, I would agree that a punch to the neck is commonly known as a rabbit punch.

Last edited by R. P. McMurphy; 02-01-2012 at 09:00 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Left Hand of Dorkness Left Hand of Dorkness is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreedySmurf View Post
It's good to know I'm not the only one who thought that a rabbit punch was a short sharp blow to the kidneys.
I occasionally make these amazing cookies (people have called them a "spiritual experience.") It's a pretty normal chocolate chip cookie recipe with toasted pecans, only I replace about 1/3 cup flour with an equal amount of Turkish-ground coffee. The cookies are chewy and almost bitter, and the coffee aroma is all over your head.

I've always called them Rabbit Punch cookies, "because eating too many is like a blow to the kidneys." I'm another person glad to hear that rabbit punches can be kidney blows, because otherwise my lame joke would have been even lamer.

(re: the OP, put me down as another donkey perv.)
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-01-2012, 09:20 PM
TriPolar TriPolar is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
I've heard of a rabbit punch as being small rapid punches. Never heard that it was to any particular target, though.
Yeah. It sounds to me like that is one of those things, the name of which I can't recall, where a modern explanation is retrofitted to an old term. I've seen the actual motion from rabbits grabbed from the front where they'll rapidly kick with their back legs in unison. So it's an apt description. But the technical term, as a blow to the back of the neck makes more sense as a way to dispatch a rabbit.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-01-2012, 09:41 PM
samclem samclem is offline
graphite is a great moderator
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 21,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Yeah. It sounds to me like that is one of those things, the name of which I can't recall, where a modern explanation is retrofitted to an old term. I've seen the actual motion from rabbits grabbed from the front where they'll rapidly kick with their back legs in unison. So it's an apt description. But the technical term, as a blow to the back of the neck makes more sense as a way to dispatch a rabbit.
backronymn is one.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Max the Immortal Max the Immortal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
I'd heard the term rabbit punch (maybe just in that one Far Side cartoon), but never knew what it was.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Jophiel Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Never heard of a donkey punch, and I've been following boxing since the 60s.
That's be one hell of a boxing match.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-01-2012, 09:53 PM
TriPolar TriPolar is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
backronymn is one.
Thanks. Backronym led me to retronym, and false etymology. None of those are exactly the right term, leaving only urban legend as the term that fits. Urban legend connotes something more to me, usually a moralistic story or something. But this is like the etymology of honeymoon or rule of thumb, which is also covered under urban legends. I feel like it should have it's own word. How about neotymology?

ETA: And of course, there should be some fictional etymology for neotymology.

Last edited by TriPolar; 02-01-2012 at 09:55 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Yumblie Yumblie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
I occasionally make these amazing cookies (people have called them a "spiritual experience.") It's a pretty normal chocolate chip cookie recipe with toasted pecans, only I replace about 1/3 cup flour with an equal amount of Turkish-ground coffee. The cookies are chewy and almost bitter, and the coffee aroma is all over your head.

I've always called them Rabbit Punch cookies, "because eating too many is like a blow to the kidneys." I'm another person glad to hear that rabbit punches can be kidney blows, because otherwise my lame joke would have been even lamer.

(re: the OP, put me down as another donkey perv.)
So what would be in a donkey punch cookie?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-02-2012, 01:13 AM
Ken001 Ken001 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post

ETA: Maybe you could give us the donkey punch etymology also.
Ha! I'll leave that to a more learned Doper. I only came across the term a couple of years ago and had to google it. Not exactly common parlance - at least in my circles. YMMV.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-02-2012, 01:15 AM
cochrane cochrane is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeinva View Post
Rabbit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner pat View Post
Duck season.
Elmer season.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-02-2012, 01:49 AM
drastic_quench drastic_quench is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken001 View Post
Ha! I'll leave that to a more learned Doper. I only came across the term a couple of years ago and had to google it. Not exactly common parlance - at least in my circles. YMMV.
Coined by one D. Sanchez.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.