Did you get a (college) class ring? Do you still wear it?

This is one of those random topics that pops into your head.

So, did you get a class ring from your college? Why? Do you still wear it/was it worth getting?

I got one, and I still wear it, at least on weekends. See, I’m a baker and my hands are in stuff on weekdays, so I take it off then and have it in a box on my dresser. Then I put it on for the weekend. Recently I had it “stretched” a little, sized up, as my knuckles have swollen some(it’s been over thirty years!)

The MIT “Brass Rat” is legendary. I had to get one, but I rarely wear it – it’s like wearing a hex nut on your finger (and I got the Medium sized one)

I never quite got this. My last boss (a Mayoral appointee) wore his ring and I thought it looked a bit… juvenile. I was always tempted to ask him if he still has his ultra man lunch box too.

I guess for some people, these rings are timeless.

Class rings are a big deal at my alma mater (Texas A&M), so yeah, I got one. A big, honkin’ gold one just like every other one for the past 50 + years.

I suspect it’s a hold-over from the military academy days- the rings have a distinct martial feel with a lone star and olive/oak branches on one side, and crossed saber and rifle over a cannon, flanked by the US and Texas flags on the other, and the top with a shield over an eagle.

Still, it’s a great unifying thing- the rings are pretty distinctive- the only time I’ve ever had mine confused with anything else was when it got mistaken for a West Point ring, probably because it was big & gold, not because they’re that similar.

Oh, and I wear it every day.

No.

I got a high school ring, and realized in college that I didn’t care about it. So I didn’t bother getting one in college.

Since then, I’ve developed a nickel allergy. I almost never wear any jewelry. I guess I’m not missing out on it.
-D/a

No. We don’t do the ring thing here.

I bought one because it took me so long to finally finish up a degree. I just came across it a couple of days ago and it just seems silly now.

I got a brass rat.
It was misplaced a few years ago and I haven’t replaced it yet. I’m pretty sure I will someday. It feels wrong not to have one.

I didn’t get one, didn’t want one, don’t miss having one. All I wanted from my university was my diploma which I have, somewhere.

I did get a high school ring and I wore it till I got out of high school. I think it’s in my jewelry box…

Ni high school ring, no college ring. Don’t like wearing rings, period.

I got a college ring, and I wore it for several years until I got engaged and had a better ring to wear.

I have one and wore it for years, until it shrank and didn’t fit on my finger.

I have my class ring, if you’d call it such. It’s rather a “civil engineering ring”, which you’re allowed to buy if you’ve taken an M.Sc in the technical university I attended.

I’m still pretty pleased with myself for slogging through all that, so indeed I wear it. It’s rather discreet though, a thin gold ring with oak leaves and the school’s initials.

Got one when I thought I was about ready to graduate (fall semester) live went to crap, have no clue where it is now.

No, it seems kind of silly to me, and damn are those things huge and ugly. I’d be afraid people would think I’m trying to be a rapper.

No. My parents browbeat me into getting a high school class ring which I promptly lost. Didn’t see any reason to replace it with an even more expensive piece of ugly jewelry.

I didn’t get one in HS & later decided that was a mistake, so I got one from college, but between when I got it & when I graduated, I came to realize how much the school sucked & wouldn’t wear it anymore. It’s still in a box in the bottom of the closet. I should either take it to one of those cash-for-gold places or trade it in for a new one from the school where I got my MBA from.

I got a high school ring, and have no idea where it is now. I didn’t get a college ring (graduated 2006).

I wear mine every day at work - gotta remind 'em who they’re dealing with. :wink: