The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 02-14-2012, 08:01 PM

Did you get a (college) class ring? Do you still wear it?

This is one of those random topics that pops into your head.

So, did you get a class ring from your college? Why? Do you still wear it/was it worth getting?
Advertisements  
Old 02-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

I got one, and I still wear it, at least on weekends. See, I'm a baker and my hands are in stuff on weekdays, so I take it off then and have it in a box on my dresser. Then I put it on for the weekend. Recently I had it "stretched" a little, sized up, as my knuckles have swollen some(it's been over thirty years!)
Old 02-14-2012, 08:39 PM

The MIT "Brass Rat" is legendary. I had to get one, but I rarely wear it -- it's like wearing a hex nut on your finger (and I got the Medium sized one)
Old 02-14-2012, 09:13 PM

I never quite got this. My last boss (a Mayoral appointee) wore his ring and I thought it looked a bit... juvenile. I was always tempted to ask him if he still has his ultra man lunch box too.

I guess for some people, these rings are timeless.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:29 PM

Class rings are a big deal at my alma mater (Texas A&M), so yeah, I got one. A big, honkin' gold one just like every other one for the past 50 + years.

I suspect it's a hold-over from the military academy days- the rings have a distinct martial feel with a lone star and olive/oak branches on one side, and crossed saber and rifle over a cannon, flanked by the US and Texas flags on the other, and the top with a shield over an eagle.

http://www.aggienetwork.com/ring/history.aspx

Still, it's a great unifying thing- the rings are pretty distinctive- the only time I've ever had mine confused with anything else was when it got mistaken for a West Point ring, probably because it was big & gold, not because they're that similar.

Oh, and I wear it every day.

Last edited by bump; 02-14-2012 at 09:30 PM..
Old 02-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Or do I have that backwards?

No.

I got a high school ring, and realized in college that I didn't care about it. So I didn't bother getting one in college.

Since then, I've developed a nickel allergy. I almost never wear any jewelry. I guess I'm not missing out on it.

-D/a
Old 02-14-2012, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

No. We don't do the ring thing here.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

I bought one because it took me so long to finally finish up a degree. I just came across it a couple of days ago and it just seems silly now.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:59 AM
Charter Member

I got a brass rat.
It was misplaced a few years ago and I haven't replaced it yet. I'm pretty sure I will someday. It feels wrong not to have one.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:55 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I didn't get one, didn't want one, don't miss having one. All I wanted from my university was my diploma which I have, somewhere.

I did get a high school ring and I wore it till I got out of high school. I think it's in my jewelry box...
Old 02-15-2012, 05:00 AM

Ni high school ring, no college ring. Don't like wearing rings, period.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:31 AM
Charter Member

I got a college ring, and I wore it for several years until I got engaged and had a better ring to wear.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

I have one and wore it for years, until it shrank and didn't fit on my finger.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:45 AM

I have my class ring, if you'd call it such. It's rather a "civil engineering ring", which you're allowed to buy if you've taken an M.Sc in the technical university I attended.

I'm still pretty pleased with myself for slogging through all that, so indeed I wear it. It's rather discreet though, a thin gold ring with oak leaves and the school's initials.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:30 AM

Got one when I thought I was about ready to graduate (fall semester) live went to crap, have no clue where it is now.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:35 AM

No, it seems kind of silly to me, and damn are those things huge and ugly. I'd be afraid people would think I'm trying to be a rapper.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:39 AM

No. My parents browbeat me into getting a high school class ring which I promptly lost. Didn't see any reason to replace it with an even more expensive piece of ugly jewelry.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:52 AM

I didn't get one in HS & later decided that was a mistake, so I got one from college, but between when I got it & when I graduated, I came to realize how much the school sucked & wouldn't wear it anymore. It's still in a box in the bottom of the closet. I should either take it to one of those cash-for-gold places or trade it in for a new one from the school where I got my MBA from.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:04 AM

I got a high school ring, and have no idea where it is now. I didn't get a college ring (graduated 2006).
Old 02-15-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
The MIT "Brass Rat" is legendary.
I wear mine every day at work - gotta remind 'em who they're dealing with.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:28 AM

Nope. No interest in getting either a college or high school ring.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Nope; I wasn't a big fan of the institution to begin with, really. My folks offered to buy me one, but I told them a watch would be better, hence the titanium Citizen on my wrist now in its 13th year of service.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:01 PM

I've got a brass rat too. I used to wear it every day, but once we started having kids and I found out how easy it is to get various substances into the details on the ring, I stopped.

Hmm, now that they're out of diapers, maybe I'll dig it up...
Old 02-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

At the time, my mom worked for a jewelry company that made school rings, championship rings, etc. So her company made a custom college ring for me, which they used in a presentation to get my university's account. I don't think they got the account but I got to keep the ring.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
I didn't get one, didn't want one, don't miss having one. All I wanted from my university was my diploma which I have, somewhere.

I did get a high school ring and I wore it till I got out of high school. I think it's in my jewelry box...
Ah, thanks for saving me some typing. Same for me.

The class ring was a big deal at my (small, Catholic) high school, so I got one then. I'm pretty sure I have it, somewhere. By the time I was done with college, I suppose I associated it with teenage stuff. Then again, my college (UT - hook 'em!) didn't make a big to-do about them either, so there really didn't seem to be any point.

Besides, at that time in my life I was spending every spare cent I had on booze and pot erm hookers and blow uh, books and eyeglasses.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:11 PM

I got a college class ring. Rather than the traditional class ring (with the big cabochon jewel on top), I got a different design, with my school's seal on it (it looked a lot like a signet ring).

I had it for about 7 or 8 years, and lost it one day -- I'd taken it off and put in my pocket for some reason, and later on, I discovered that the pocket was empty. My suspicion was that, earlier in the day, when I'd gone over to a currency exchange to get a renewal sticker for my wife's license plates, I'd gone into that pocket to pull something out, and the ring got pulled out as well, and fell to the floor. I checked back at the currency exchange, but no one had turned in a ring (big surprise there).

Still sad about that -- it was a cool ring. A few years ago, I looked into having a replacement made by Jostens (the original manufacturer), but, as far as I could tell, that design was no longer made.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 02-15-2012 at 01:12 PM..
Old 02-15-2012, 01:14 PM

I got one and still wear it. Mine isn't a traditional class ring with stuff carved all over it. It's a plain ring with a plain stone that happens to be a traditional class ring for my alma mater. I doubt anyone who didn't go to my college, or even many who did, have any clue that it's a class ring.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

I have a university ring. St. Francis Xavier University (Antigonish Nova Scotia) makes a REALLY big deal of the X-Ring.

Big chunky gold thing, with a big black "X" in the middle of it.
I wear it every now and then.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
I've got a brass rat too. I used to wear it every day, but once we started having kids and I found out how easy it is to get various substances into the details on the ring, I stopped.

Hmm, now that they're out of diapers, maybe I'll dig it up...
Never had that problem with my brass rat. I do get dirt in it when in the garden, but it cleans right up.
And I'm very glad that when I got mine gold was still $35 an ounce. Probably the best investment I ever made.
My impression is that a far greater percentage of MIT grads wear brass rats than any other college. The responses to this thread seem to support this.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
My impression is that a far greater percentage of MIT grads wear brass rats than any other college. The responses to this thread seem to support this.
Well, undergrads at least.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:37 PM

No, I have small hands and the rings look ridiculously oversized on me. I don't wear rings in general anymore since I have to put them on and off constantly for working out, martial arts, tools and fixing things at home, etc.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:54 PM

I did. I worked hard to get through college and was very proud of the achievement. I wore it for a much longer time than I did my high-school ring.

But for me, there comes a time past which a man should wear a school ring, and so I gave it up a few years after getting it. I'm not sorry I bought it - and actually I like the style. I would wear something very much like it if I found one.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:16 PM

My wife got me my college ring, about 15 years after graduation. I'm of mixed feelings about it -- it's a bit embarrassing, as a piece of garish jewelry; but I'm proud of my alma mater and my association with it.

I wear it to work, and on weekend formal events.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:39 PM

High school, yes: college, no. The high school ring was really special: it was my first expensive ring because I was the first person in my branch of the family to graduate high school. I wore it until I got engaged, and I can't wear it on any other finger.

The scary thing: my kids brought home paperwork for class rings. Junior High class rings. I said no.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdavinci View Post
No, it seems kind of silly to me, and damn are those things huge and ugly. I'd be afraid people would think I'm trying to be a rapper.
The women's styles are smaller, thank goodness, but they're still blinged out like crazy most of the time. I found a simple one that doesn't scream "class ring" and put in a transparent stone so it wouldn't look showy. I wore it every day for years, but for some reason I'd feel silly putting it back on now.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:12 AM

I put my high school ring on a necklace chain. I still have it. I loved my high school. Best place I ever went to.

I don't know if my college has class rings. I guess I'll find out when I graduate (which, at my current rate of progress, is going to be in about ten years ).

Last edited by Malleus, Incus, Stapes!; 02-16-2012 at 10:12 AM..
Old 02-16-2012, 11:17 AM

I have my high school one, but I really don't see how the investment is worth it in college. I've got several friends who have them here, and our school is fairly well-known, but...eh, it's hard to sell it on myself, after seeing how pointless the high school ring feels.

I think I'd much rather put that sort of money towards grad school or getting out own my own.

Ann Ominous--yeah, the whole "let's give the little kids a middle school ring" is kinda freaky. I remember them trying to push it on us though.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:41 PM

I *almost* bought one today for the University of Michigan when I was buying my cap and gown for graduation. It was $600!! So I passed. I did splurge on the frame for my degree though, as I always do.

My brother is very protective of his MIT and Andover rings, even though he claims he loathes MIT.

Last edited by anu-la1979; 02-16-2012 at 05:43 PM..
Old 02-16-2012, 05:56 PM

I still like my college ring but developed some kind of allergy to it.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:15 PM

I had a college ring. Gave it to a gf. Never saw it again after we broke up.

Never, Ever give a girl your class ring.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:25 PM

Hated my HS, didn't get a ring, but they were a huge deal for most of the athletic people.

Loved (and still love) my university. Got a custom signet-style ring made up for me (men's style rather than women's dinky shit rings) and sized for my thumb.

I wear it at least once a week now. Until I got married a few years back, I wore it every day.

I almost wish that I wasn't as attached to it, because it's worth a truly obscene amount of money now, and we're pretty damn broke. I've already sold the jewelery I wasn't attached to, and I told my husband we'd have to be a lot worse off before I sold that ring.

ETA - in grad school now, and pretty happy that I'm not attached to the school, due to before-mentioned brokitude, so not likely to get a ring for that.

Last edited by Lasciel; 02-16-2012 at 08:27 PM..
Old 02-16-2012, 10:11 PM

No, it's not something I ever saw advertised, nor did I even think about it.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:24 AM

I don't know if I'll get a ring when I graduate. If I do, it will be the smallest and least offensive style and silver. I didn't get a high school ring. Even if I had wanted one (which I didn't) there was no money for it.

I did splurge and spend $250 on my silver Phi Theta Kappa ring. My mother was a member of the same chapter of the honor society so joining was more special to me than it would have been otherwise. I wear it ever day. It's very simple though with just the initial of my first name and the PTK greek symbols - no stone, very low profile.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:34 PM

I bought a high school ring, it seemed important at the time. I wore it for a few years. By the time I was graduating college, it didn't seem important, so I didn't bother, but I did wear my high school one for a bit longer.

Eventually I decided I didn't care to wear the ring. First was the "high school" juvenile thing. Seemed to harken back to youth too much or something. Second, I kinda banged it up a bit, and wore the corners off the stone. I'm not easy on jewelry*. Plus, being big and gold, it started making my finger sore.

The only people I seem to see that wear theirs for long are Texas A&M grads. Aggies have a huge legacy thing invested in their rings.

Is it worth it? If your school has a big tradition for it (like A&M or MIT), then maybe so. Or if you think it would mean something to you to have that symbol of your college alma mater with you. Or you like jewelry, especially big gaudy rings. Otherwise, skip it. If you want a reminder, try a tattoo. It's cheaper and you can't lose it.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Class rings are a big deal at my alma mater (Texas A&M), so yeah, I got one. A big, honkin' gold one just like every other one for the past 50 + years.

I suspect it's a hold-over from the military academy days- the rings have a distinct martial feel with a lone star and olive/oak branches on one side, and crossed saber and rifle over a cannon, flanked by the US and Texas flags on the other, and the top with a shield over an eagle.

http://www.aggienetwork.com/ring/history.aspx

Still, it's a great unifying thing- the rings are pretty distinctive- the only time I've ever had mine confused with anything else was when it got mistaken for a West Point ring, probably because it was big & gold, not because they're that similar.

Oh, and I wear it every day.
Fellow Aggie here, and I also have one I wear pretty much every day. It can be a good ice breaker when meeting people. As an engineer, it's especially good when I'm meeting people in engineering related stuff, since a large number of engineers in the Houston area went to A&M, or went to another school but are familiar with it and we can do the friendly trash talking regarding each other's schools.