The Texas Chainsaw Massacre based on Gein?

I recently watched a re-run of the prequel: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre-The Beginning. As the movie ends, a text announcement indicates that the movie was inspired by a series of actual murders that occurred between 1969 & 1973. This dispels the commonly held notion that the movie(s) were inspired by the grisly actions of the infamous Ed Gein back in 1957. Can someone inform as to what actually happened during the time period that the film makers indicate? :confused:

LINK TO COLUMN: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1168/was-em-the-texas-chain-saw-massacre-em-based-on-a-true-story

According to Wikipedia, “Although it was marketed as a true story to attract a wider audience and as a subtle commentary on the era’s political climate, its plot is entirely fictional; however the character of Leatherface and minor plot details were inspired by the crimes of real-life murderer Ed Gein.”

Supposedly, Eddie was also the inspiration for Norman Bates and Jame Gumb. ( From Psycho and Silence of the Lambs, respectively, for those of you who aren’t fans of the genre.)

Knew he inspired Bates, didn’t know the SotL connection.

I think they’re trying to imply that the original movie was a documentary.

Welcome to the Straight Dope Message Boards, toni rocka, we’re glad to have you with us. When you start a thread, it’s helpful to other readers if you provide a link to the column under discussion. Saves search time and helps keep us on the same page. I’ve added the link to your first post; no biggie, you’ll know for next time. And, as I say, welcome!

I once ran into a reference that tried to tie in the Dean Corll murders into TCM, but no, Ed Gein was the main inspiration (the use of bones & skin as home decor, and the skin outfits.) And the SOTL connection is because Jame Gumb’s creating of the female skin-suit.

And I believe it is the Law of God that anytime the subject comes up, THIS thread must be referenced.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=446711&highlight=chainsaw+bats

TCM:TB isn’t just a prequel, it’s a prequel of a remake. The original Texas Chain Saw Massacre was filmed in 1973 (released in 74) so perhaps that was the “actual murders” the newer film is claiming inspiration from. The original itself took inspiration from several different sources, but Gein is at least partly in the mix.

That was my favorite thread EVER!