The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 03-01-2012, 03:33 AM

Beware the mini-Rants of March (4th or otherwise)

What can I say, I just like taking advantage of being ahead of most of you guys.

Is it compulsory to start with a minirant? The closest thing I have is that apparently the short-distance rail system doesn't understand February 29. I have a 30-day pass and the machine sent me to be Checked By A Human Being; they mentioned it's been happening to other people. We decided it's the pocket edition of Y2K effect.

The Human Checkers were cogitating on whether it will be solved Soon or they'll be having to check 30-day passes until March 29.
Advertisements  
Old 03-01-2012, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Here's something else to rant at Nava: The Ides of March are on the 15th, not the 4th. (Unless the 4th signifies something else...?)
Old 03-01-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
The Human Checkers were cogitating on whether it will be solved Soon or they'll be having to check 30-day passes until March 29.
Surely you mean Human Chess, seeing as how they're Pawns...

SPOILER:
Have you tried asking the Bishop?

Last edited by Darth Panda; 03-01-2012 at 09:04 AM..
Old 03-01-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Here's something else to rant at Nava: The Ides of March are on the 15th, not the 4th. (Unless the 4th signifies something else...?)
That the rants march forth. And back. And sideways. And drive us up walls...

Panda, we can't,

SPOILER:
because Spanish armies don't have alfiles any more.

Last edited by Nava; 03-01-2012 at 09:06 AM..
Old 03-01-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
My mini-rant is thread titles that I don't understand. Especially if I have to look at them for a whole month.

I'd vote to just shorten the title to: Beware the Mini-Rants of March
It's short, still clever, and easy to dance to.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

"I'll give it an 8.5, Dick."
Old 03-01-2012, 11:18 AM

Rant for the day. I got laser eye surgery two weeks ago (which was awesome and I highly recommend).

I woke up this morning with the feeling that something was in my eye. The problem: if I rubbed my eye in my sleep I may have displaced the flap and that could be causing the sensation. This would be very bad.

I spent ten minutes rinsing and searching for the 'thing in my eye' and even had my husband come and lend his eyes to looking for the foreign object.

Since I was already late for work, I got in the car and drove there (making my eyes water the whole time in the hope that it really was still something in my eye).

When I get there, I flip down the mirror in my car because now I can *see* something in there.

Look, blink. See something strange. Look, blink, water. Defnitely something there. Look, look, grab.

GOT IT!

It was a white cat hair that had wrapped around one of my eyelashes and was hanging in my eye. It was so thin it had rendered itself nearly invisible.

So here I am at work with no makeup on and I was late because of a frickin cat hair!
Old 03-01-2012, 11:22 AM

Okay, I just won a second free coffee from Tim Hortons with the coffee I just got with a free coffee win earlier in the week. That makes up for it.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:09 PM

I work in a hospital. For months, I've been pushing elevator buttons with a knuckle rather than a finger. Sometimes I even do a fist-bump-style push. Occasionally I get odd looks for this, but I figure that due to how they're normally used, my knuckles are less likely to transmit infectious agents both to me and from me, compared to fingers. (I also practice other good sanitation practices, including frequent hand washing and use of alcohol sanitizer.)

Last week had just one example of why I do this. A little girl came out of a nearby pediatric clinic suite with her mom. The mom reminded the girl to put her mask on; said girl was wearing the "surgical" mask over her chin only. The girl pulled up the mask so it covered her mouth, but not nose. Then the girl was allowed to push both the elevator call button and the button for the floor.

We've had serious outbreaks of whooping cough here in the Chicago area recently, even new ones within the last couple of weeks. Per the city's health department, reported cases of influenza have risen for 5 weeks straight as of late February.

Even if the little girl didn't have either of those potentially very serious illnesses, her (and other people's) germ-spreading could be dangerous to immune-compromised patients, or to infants too young to be vaccinated yet. The elevator they took happens to be one of the major elevators in our complex, and is one of the main ways to get to our cancer care center. Our housekeeping department really does a great job of cleaning the facility, but they just can't keep up with the sheer flow of patients, visitors, and employees in this respect.

Years ago, I broke my wrist, and I wore a mask to my last Orthopedics appointment because I had developed a bad cold. I was thanked sincerely in such a fashion that made me expect that most patients probably aren't proactive about it (even though we have mask stations and signs all over), and my experience in dealing with patients in my own department confirms that.

Hospitals and clinics are germ-filled places, so please be careful about how you might transmit your own germs and how you might pick up other people's germs as well. You might shrug off a particular illness. The next person who touches an elevator button that you touched a few minutes after sneezing into your hand, may not.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

If I have to hear my office partner say "shooken" instead of "shaken" one more time this week, I'm going to start throwing things.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:27 PM

Aargh, parents are terrible with this sort of thing. Kids coughing everywhere, sometimes into their hands, and then they're allowed to touch everything. "Go ahead, press the buttons, dear!" NO. Just no.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:33 PM

I give up.
What was simple allergy testing for TheKid has turned into such a clusterfuck. At least we now know why she breaks out in hives at the drop of a hat - she's just weird that way. Getting a cold means she will break out.
At the allergists office, they drew blood to test for various other possible causes, and discovered she has a really low white blood cell count and her hemoglobin levels are low.
Off to the doctor today, discussed iron supplements. No problem, unless she has kidney disease like her mother and had problems processing iron. Well, let's test for that, too!
*sigh* Fine. It would be good for her to know if she has PKD, as she is now the age where it starts presenting itself.
Referral for sonogram. Too bad my insurance only pays for part, but I can deal.

Until we left the doctor's office and found out the brakes in my car decided they wanted to crap out. Made it home. Now I have to pay for a tow, pay to repair, pay for a rental. And I am broker than broke.

Fuck.

Last edited by MissTake; 03-01-2012 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: spelling - i no has it
Old 03-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Go Browns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
If I have to hear my office partner say "shooken" instead of "shaken" one more time this week, I'm going to start throwing things.
I love this. In Nothing Sacred, Fredric March asks Vermont shopkeeper Margaret Hamilton for directions, and she charges him 50, saying "Well, you tooken up my time."
Old 03-01-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
Oh just shup the fuck up already you useless, spoiled, arrogant, obnoxious, overpaid, underworked, worthless shitheads. Go volunteer on a children's cancer ward and STFU. I seriously hope every single asshole in this article complaining about his insanely overinflated salary gets laid off and winds up homeless.
Copied from the February Mini Rants thread just so I can quote

Quote:
"I feel stuck," Schiff said. "The New York that I wanted to have is still just beyond my reach."
and say the New York he wanted to have? He thinks he is entitled to his own New York instead of having to share with everyone else? Well has he got a lesson to learn, you can't even count on getting the New York (or life) you deserve let alone the one you want.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:53 PM

What's been stolen from me today? Why, how about four rolls of toilet paper plus most of the roll that was on the holder! Now the toilet paper will live in my closet.

Asshole, look. Your wife just bought a fucking twelve-pack for your bathroom when she saw it on sale. I know this because I saw her bring it in and made a comment. And you're swiping my toilet paper now? Karma is a bitch and you're building up a cruise-ship load that's going to crash on you at the worst possible moment.*

*Not just because of the toilet paper and food he's swiped and is suddenly too po' to replace. Also because of his know-it-all attitude and the way he treated my boyfriend. Wanna know what Shredder Guy looked like at 25? I'm rooming with him.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:57 PM

Doctor can you please call me back so I don't have to go the ER? My heart seems to be beating too fast when I lie down. I hate my body. I am on meds for high blood pressure. The doctor just doubled the dose of one of them so I'm sure that's the cause. I'm sorta scared it's something more serious right now.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
It made me think of fellow Doper OlivesMarch4th.

Last edited by Rhiannon8404; 03-01-2012 at 05:04 PM..
Old 03-01-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springtime for Spacers View Post

and say the New York he wanted to have? He thinks he is entitled to his own New York instead of having to share with everyone else? Well has he got a lesson to learn, you can't even count on getting the New York (or life) you deserve let alone the one you want.
Call it Winklevii syndrome. When ludicrously overprivileged people whine they don't have even more.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectparanoia View Post
It was a white cat hair that had wrapped around one of my eyelashes and was hanging in my eye. It was so thin it had rendered itself nearly invisible.
This happens to me often enough that my husband thinks I should wear goggles around the house. The thick cat hairs stab me in the foot, and the wispy ones blind me. One of these days, I will shave the cats.

All my problems are lame first-world problems and I should really stick to looking at the bright side, but I'm really upset that I never get to see my husband. I was working evenings for years and that suited him fine because he liked to work later hours to skip the beltway traffic, so when I got a shot at a great day-shift job, I really hesitated because it would mean he would need to get home earlier or we'd never get any time together. He insisted I take the day job because it would make me happier (he was right), and that he would adapt. Well, we're three months into the new job and he's still not getting home till 9pm most nights because there's so much going on at work. That doesn't seem like much adaptation, really. I'm home by 5 most days, so my evenings are long and boring, and I need to be in bed by 11 because I get up so early, so when he gets home we have a late dinner together, watch a smidge of TV, and then I'm yawning and fighting sleep and trying to stay up late to get more time with him. This makes me grumpy.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:17 PM

Forgot: a big "fuck you" to the duo who spilled a cup of coffee in our smaller waiting room, over top a nice wooden table and our large-print magazine selection, sort of wiped it up, then hauled ass out of there without saying a word. Now the table has white stains, and I think I managed to salvage most of the magazines. You could have asked for help so we could have minimized the amount of soaking into wood and upholstery that it did. I went in and checked about 5 minutes after you left, as the little gasp I heard was still rattling around my brain.

Because really, if I'd gotten a better look at you two, maybe we could identify you and then call to let you know that one of you dropped a well-used calendar/organizer that has no identifying info in it. You were probably the person accompanying the patient and not the patient herself, as there's no appointment for our doctors in there, so that's no help.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:18 PM

What the FUCK is up with loud music on the PA system as part of college sports?

Over a quarter-century ago, when the dinosaurs roamed the earth, I played women's varsity basketball and track & field (as well as club-level soccer). I can't remember ever hearing any music played through the PA system at any of those events. Don't remember ever hearing it at the men's teams' games, either.

Sure, major college sports events like football games have always had the national anthem to start with and the band playing at halftime, but what the hell is THIS? Eardrum-splitting commercial band recordings of rock and rap songs played through the loudspeaker at top volume periodically during the games? Who thought this was a good idea?

Jesus on a boombox, does EVERYTHING have to have a soundtrack these days? Can't you play a game to the accompaniment of the yells of the crowd, the whistle of the referee, and the occasional remarks of the announcer without spewing canned music all over the place every few minutes?
Old 03-02-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
Stop going to Martini bars with her...
Old 03-02-2012, 06:43 PM

God, I hate being in pain. My knees have been acting up to the point that I can barely get up out of my chair. Last night I barely slept because of the pain. At this point I'm not gonna make it to 40 with all my original equipment.

:crawls off to find more drugs:
Old 03-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springtime for Spacers View Post

I think the most sobering bit for me was the man who said that most of the folks on Wall Street and in the financial houses had no savings and were therefore completely dependent on their incomes. That's just wrong.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:55 PM

"Can I get an apron? Mine was dirty."

Hm, they have these things called washing machines you know? And barring that you could always spot-clean it. Better than nothing. Lazy-ass.

"Can I get a new hat - I think I left mine in my friend's car."

Another new hat? Your friend's car must be full of hats!

"Can I get a new Micros card? I can't find my old one."

Didn't I just make you a new one the other day? Keep it in your wallet dumbfuck.

"I don't know where my non-slip shoes are!"

Look you dumb bitch, I know those non-slips aren't exactly stylish (which is exactly what this is all about) but you have to wear them for the sake of safety. I'm fucking sick and tired of explaining this to you.

"You mean it's not okay to work in the kitchen with my ponytail hanging down? And why can't I walk around with my earphones in? And why can't I wear my non-regulation hat backwards? And why does my shirt have to be tucked in?"

Because you're not fucking special. And your fucking music sucks anyway.

I really hate some of my co-workers.

Last edited by stegon66; 03-02-2012 at 06:56 PM..
Old 03-02-2012, 06:58 PM

Dear Mom and Dad: you know I love you to death, but just once, could you stick to plans that you yourselves dream up and outline to me? Once? Yesterday's "We'll come over tomorrow afternoon and bring an early dinner, and we'll call on the way in, so we can pick up whatever you need from the grocery store," turned into today's show up with no notice and no food. Grr. I'm almost always happy to see them, and they certainly aren't required to bring anything for anyone, but now I have nothing thawed for dinner, no butter, eggs, or bread, and a grumpy husband who is switching from night shift to days and got no sleep today because his nap was interrupted by in-laws showing up out of the blue, two hours sooner than expected.

Also: Mom, if you've posted something political and controversial on your Facebook page several times, and received no response or a very non-commital response from both me and Tony, it's because we don't agree with your position, but we know your opinion isn't going to change. Please don't bring it up in conversation. Today's subject was the recent shooting of a Marine veteran by the state police SWAT team. Mom has some notion that real life works like the movies, and that a 4-hour standoff with an armed man with firearms training and PTSD, who had been firing at neighbors' homes, should have ended with a non-fatal disabling shot from a police sniper. My husband - a 20-year veteran of military and civilian law enforcement - tried to explain the reasons that it doesn't work that way IRL. And I held to the position that I feel terrible for the guy's family, but I wouldn't want my husband to risk his life being a hero in that situation. Mom's opinion hasn't changed, but she certainly made her visit a lot less pleasant.

(The pediatrician was doing a family medical profile recently. The question of mental illness came up, and my husband joked about my crazy mom. I corrected him: my mother isn't crazy, but she's definitely a carrier for both mental illness and high blood pressure.)
Old 03-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmagirl View Post
I love this. In Nothing Sacred, Fredric March asks Vermont shopkeeper Margaret Hamilton for directions, and she charges him 50, saying "Well, you tooken up my time."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Panda View Post
Stop going to Martini bars with her...
For what it's worth, one of the QA inspectors got tired of hearing him say it today. This guy knows how to say (and use) the word "shaken"; he's started with this "shooken" business in the last few weeks.

Sadly, none of my interactions with this guy involve Martini bars.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:56 PM

I keep a candy dish on my desk. Lately I've had lots of Gummi Bears. One of my coworkers pronounces it "goomie" bears and every time she walks by she takes some and says "mmmm, I love goomie bears!" And every time I want to stick my letter opener into my ears.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatyGimpy View Post
I keep a candy dish on my desk. Lately I've had lots of Gummi Bears. One of my coworkers pronounces it "goomie" bears and every time she walks by she takes some and says "mmmm, I love goomie bears!" And every time I want to stick my letter opener into my ears.
Seems like it would be easier to just stab her instead. Or just make her watch this.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:14 PM

I hate trade-offs.

For the longest time, I just wanted to feel something. Sad, angry, happy...it didn't matter. Just something to remind me that I'm real and not just a disembodied head.

So I got my wish granted finally. I feel. I feel sad, confused, and other things I don't know how to verbalize. I also feel pleasure. Yay.

But now my thoughts are all messed up. The loud repeating thing is back. I can't speak spontaneously in any intelligent way because I mispronounce everything and put words in the wrong order. My speech rambles as I try to gather my thoughts and box them into words, while the listener's face just looks more and more perplexed. Crazy words spill out of my mouth involuntarily for no reason at all. All of this happened when I was apathetic, but because I was apathetic I didn't care. Now I'm embarrassed and ashamed constantly. But I'm trying to be strong and deal with it and not make it a "thing". I'm tired of always having a "thing."

So that's the trade-off of my life. To have the privilege of emotions, I must surrender the ability to control my mind. I would say that I'd like to go back to being a disembodied head, but then I'd have to surrender laughter and pleasure. And taste buds.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:02 AM

So I text my husband at work "I love you!!!" just 'cause I felt like it.

An hour later, during his lunch, he called to ask why. So I tell him 'no reason.' He asks half a dozen more questions about what's going on, what I'm doing, etc. He finally says, "Well, it's just completely out of character for you."

I has a sad
Old 03-03-2012, 01:26 AM

Sad face for MOA.

Your world got really jacked up and you are trying to make it normal again. Your hubby's world also got jacked up. Maybe its possible that he was really worried about you and distracted about his work.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
I think the most sobering bit for me was the man who said that most of the folks on Wall Street and in the financial houses had no savings and were therefore completely dependent on their incomes. That's just wrong.
No, that's just right. That makes me laugh with my evil laugh. Just you wait, bastards. Your time will come.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
What the FUCK is up with loud music on the PA system as part of college sports?
Eardrum-splitting commercial band recordings of rock and rap songs played through the loudspeaker at top volume periodically during the games? Who thought this was a good idea?

Jesus on a boombox, does EVERYTHING have to have a soundtrack these days? Can't you play a game to the accompaniment of the yells of the crowd, the whistle of the referee, and the occasional remarks of the announcer without spewing canned music all over the place every few minutes?
This disease has infected high-school sports as well. I have a teenager who holds a leadership position in her band. As such, she is privileged to start and stop them, and gets a few solos as well. During many of these events, the idiot coach believes he needs to blast this garbage at his (mostly losing) team to encourage them. We literally cannot hear the band, and they cannot hear her cadence or commands!. This is why I attend only the halftime of the football games (arrive near end of 2nd quarter, leave after bands play). If I wanted I goddamned rap concert, I'd buy a ticket to one.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:22 AM

I'm sitting here gathering tax documents together and realizing we'll definitely pay more percentage wise than Mitt Romney even though we make a lot less than he does. Why the hell should I vote for someone who thinks this is okay?
Old 03-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegon66 View Post
"Can I get an apron? Mine was dirty."

Hm, they have these things called washing machines you know? And barring that you could always spot-clean it. Better than nothing. Lazy-ass.

"Can I get a new hat - I think I left mine in my friend's car."

Another new hat? Your friend's car must be full of hats!

"Can I get a new Micros card? I can't find my old one."

Didn't I just make you a new one the other day? Keep it in your wallet dumbfuck.

"I don't know where my non-slip shoes are!"

Look you dumb bitch, I know those non-slips aren't exactly stylish (which is exactly what this is all about) but you have to wear them for the sake of safety. I'm fucking sick and tired of explaining this to you.

"You mean it's not okay to work in the kitchen with my ponytail hanging down? And why can't I walk around with my earphones in? And why can't I wear my non-regulation hat backwards? And why does my shirt have to be tucked in?"

Because you're not fucking special. And your fucking music sucks anyway.

I really hate some of my co-workers.
Is your official title "Baby-sitter," by any chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
I hate trade-offs.

For the longest time, I just wanted to feel something. Sad, angry, happy...it didn't matter. Just something to remind me that I'm real and not just a disembodied head.

So I got my wish granted finally. I feel. I feel sad, confused, and other things I don't know how to verbalize. I also feel pleasure. Yay.

But now my thoughts are all messed up. The loud repeating thing is back. I can't speak spontaneously in any intelligent way because I mispronounce everything and put words in the wrong order. My speech rambles as I try to gather my thoughts and box them into words, while the listener's face just looks more and more perplexed. Crazy words spill out of my mouth involuntarily for no reason at all. All of this happened when I was apathetic, but because I was apathetic I didn't care. Now I'm embarrassed and ashamed constantly. But I'm trying to be strong and deal with it and not make it a "thing". I'm tired of always having a "thing."

So that's the trade-off of my life. To have the privilege of emotions, I must surrender the ability to control my mind. I would say that I'd like to go back to being a disembodied head, but then I'd have to surrender laughter and pleasure. And taste buds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom-of-Andrew View Post
So I text my husband at work "I love you!!!" just 'cause I felt like it.

An hour later, during his lunch, he called to ask why. So I tell him 'no reason.' He asks half a dozen more questions about what's going on, what I'm doing, etc. He finally says, "Well, it's just completely out of character for you."

I has a sad
I has a sad for you and Monstro.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:18 PM

I has a

Bill signed a medical power of attorney for me while he was in the hospital so I could talk to his medical care providers. Bill started his physical therapy on Friday, so I faxed and emailed copies to the clinic and called today to see how it went from their prospective.

Bill thought the resistance on the machines was too low so put more weight on them. This upset the nice PT people quite a bit. Now I have more people who will call me and complain about him.

I called him and told him that if he got caught again, he would be sleeping on the couch when he flies out next weekend. He laughed at me. He didn't just cuckle, it was a full on belly laugh that ended with him groaning and I assume grabbing his pillow. He then told me that he'd get plenty of pussy on the couch because he knows to carry kitty treats in his pocket.

So, not only are Bill's doctors calling me to bitch me out over his noncomplience, he's bribing my cats. And those whores will fall for it! (my lil FIV kitty got nicknamed Jane Fonda the last time Bill here. She moved under his bed for the visit. Traitor Bitch!!!)
Old 03-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
Why does this not surprise me? Can't manage other people's money, can't manage their own...
Old 03-04-2012, 02:14 AM

Really, Word Mole? Really?

I've really enjoyed our time together, Word Mole, and I don't say that to just any game that came pre-installed on my phone. I haven't even tried Sudoko, for instance. I had my doubts about you, frankly, as I'm not big on word games. But you've delivered.

You've been there on the train for me. You've been there when I needed a way to discretely pass the time during a meeting. And when I had the flu a couple weeks ago? Hey, I sure didn't see Skyrim spending all that time in the can with me.

You're easy to play, what with the little trackball, you're really well-adapted to your platform. You really bring the tension as the seconds tick down and I need at least a six-letter word. Good times.

But where did you get your dictionary, Word Mole? "Round" is acceptable but "rounds" isn't? I know that's a word. TV doctors go on their "rounds". I think it's like a bus or something, some kind of hospital bus. Makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Hospitals are big. They just don't show them getting on and off their "rounds" due to budget constraints, I guess.

And that time you wouldn't take "jilting". OK, maybe that's not a word. So I changed it to "jilted". No dice. C'mon, that's totally a word. Nope, you said, "WORD NOT FOUND". Not found where, Word Mole? Because if I look in the dictionary it's gonna be there. Spellcheck likes it, and you know what a picky pedantic asshole spellcheck is. Look at that fucker, putting red wavy lines under perfectly good words like "asshole" and "spellcheck". You know, if I get the letters, I'm not even going to try either one. I learned my lesson with "farting" and "farted".

Fine, fuck it. "Jilts" it is.

"WORD NOT FOUND".

You lying little bitch, Word Mole, you're a lying bitch of a garden pest.

Then today, you wouldn't accept "Warlocks". Nope, nor would you accept the singular. Oh, right, like Paul Lynde just made that word up for Bewitched. That man never made up a word in his life. He was the soul of linguistic rectitude, Word Mole, and I have that on good authority, a real stickler, and here you are calling him a word maker upper.

I know you can do better, Word Mole.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:24 AM

Hugs to all the sads.

This is about to be long and boring....

I have had a horrible day/week. I thought I was almost halfway done with the hard part of the scrapbooking. Each book I do for the players has a "player page" for each member of the team. These are the most labor intensive part of the books, as each page has both photos and lettering. I have a cricut machine, which cuts the letters, but they have to have adhesive put on them and be placed on the page.

I thought I was doing 5 books, and had 4 sets of player pages done.

Oh SHIT no. I'm doing 6 books and have 3 sets of player pages done. Each set of player pages is 20 pages.

My cricut machine's blade went ... then the blade on the paper cutter. That's $20 in blades. Replaced the blades. Cricut doesn't like the paper. I could have CHEWED neater letters.

I know this is such a NOT big deal in the larger scheme of things...but I make these books for a reason. The kids who play pro hockey at this level aren't going to make the Big Show - I want them to have something to show their grandkids. I take pride in whatever I do - my grandfather used to say "if you're a ditchdigger, be the best damned ditchdigger they ever saw."

So I'm sitting at the computer, surrounded by very happy cats (who aren't allowed into the scrapbooking area) and I will start again tomorrow.

On the gall bladder front - I have had to add Sonic's chili dogs to the list of things my gall bladder has decided isn't good for me. Otherwise....have any of our regular readers had gall bladder problems? I'm having some...um....digestive issues I'd like advice on.

Last edited by SnakesCatLady; 03-04-2012 at 02:28 AM..
Old 03-04-2012, 02:30 AM

One of my longest-running regulars is moving.

To Dallas.

She's also one of the nicest. One of the few that I might hang out with if we'd met under other circumstances.

Sad.

But she has her reasons. And she'll still need me to help pack up.

Still sad, though.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilchiam View Post
One of my longest-running regulars is moving...
So, are you a madam?
Old 03-04-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
So, are you a madam?

Do madams pack up? Rilchiam is a housekeeper.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:48 PM

I love my children. I do. But goddamnit! Why do they have to be so curious about injuries? I can't get my daughter to leave my fucking biopsy site alone. Why is this so interesting? The chunk they took out is only the size of a pencil eraser. The four-inch long bruise on my left arm is far more interesting (ran into a doorjamb putting her back to bed in the middle of the night at some point this week).

Sadly, if they have to take it out (it being a large potential melanoma), I'll lose most of the skin on my ankle. It doesn't help that if I have to have it removed, there's a very good chance I'll feel a lot of it, if the biopsy was anything to go by. I had a local, but it didn't work well at all.

I know it's probably not terribly serious, but the thought of having to deal with more medical issues after a spate of surprise surgery this past year and a half is making me tense. Having sweaty little fingers constantly trying to pry off my bandage or poke at the site is driving me crazy. It's very hard not to start yelling, especially when I'm being hunted down by everyone in this house so they can either ask me questions, talk at me or poke at my ankle. Grrrr.

Last edited by overlyverbose; 03-04-2012 at 09:49 PM..
Old 03-04-2012, 10:05 PM

My freaking pinched nerve! How I hate you. I have given you all the anti-inflammatories, all the muscle relaxers, all the steroids I could. You laugh at the Percocet, despite it being what everyone tells me is "good stuff." And you are not getting any better. I swear you're getting worse just to spite me.

I have given up the half marathon I was planning to run, I am cancelling the freaking Warrior Dash I signed up for last year. What the hell more do I have to do?

I just want to be able to walk without pain. Meh.

Last edited by Skara_Brae; 03-04-2012 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: typos...
Old 03-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Creature of the Night

Quote:
Sadly, if they have to take it out (it being a large potential melanoma), I'll lose most of the skin on my ankle. It doesn't help that if I have to have it removed, there's a very good chance I'll feel a lot of it, if the biopsy was anything to go by. I had a local, but it didn't work well at all.
Tell them you want Versed. You might feel some pressure, but you won't feel pain, and what's more, you won't give a shit about anything. Until it wears off, of course. Or Demerol.

Seriously, tell them that you felt a lot of pain during the biopsy, and that if you have to get something removed, that you want something that will take away the pain and anxiety. Because there are drugs that will do that for you. Granted, you won't be good for anything other than getting cut on for a few hours, and you'll have some post-op pain, but you'll escape the worst of the actual pain during the surgery.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:01 PM

Ehhhhhhhh.................................FUCK!
Old 03-05-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
So, are you a madam?
What Alice said. I like picturing myself as the Maison Derriere owner, though.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatyGimpy View Post
She is pronouncing the word correctly, though. Gummi Bears originated in Germany, and the word "gummi," which means "rubber," is correctly pronounced "goomie."
Old 03-05-2012, 05:57 AM

My discover card number has been compromised. I'm not worried about illegal charges, I'm pissed that my number has to be changed. I've had that number going on 20 years now, it's like a comfortable old chair. Nuts.