The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 03-01-2012, 06:23 PM

How did Anal Sex and the Greeks get Associated?

Snickers aside, why are Greeks and Anal Sex so closely associated? Is it a homosexual reference or something practiced by straights too?

As a culture do they prefer that form of sex?

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-01-2012 at 06:24 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 03-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

It is a homosexual reference. The basic idea is that the ancient greeks didn't like women much and that sex with them was mainly for procreation. Ancient greek men had a culture that encouraged male bonding to the fullest extent possible including male on male sex. They weren't gay. They just valued men that much and were extreme misogynists in general...or so the common historical meme goes.

I took Ancient Greek history in college. The did have a male dominated culture in general but we didn't spend much time on anal sex practices. I am not sure I am buying it based on what I believe about innate sexual preferences but that is the standard line.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:52 PM

The master speaks:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...-homosexuality
Old 03-01-2012, 07:44 PM

Well they did leave behind rather a lot of art of this NSFW type
Old 03-01-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springtime for Spacers View Post
Well they did leave behind rather a lot of art of this NSFW type
"Oh, what interesting china! It looks like young men playing leapfrog!"
Old 03-02-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Snickers aside, why are Greeks and Anal Sex so closely associated? Is it a homosexual reference or something practiced by straights too?

As a culture do they prefer that form of sex?
PREFERRED, dude. Preferred. A long, long time ago.

See, the "Greeks" we're talking about here are the Ancient Greeks, not the guys you see rioting on the evening news.

Just making that clear.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
It is a homosexual reference. The basic idea is that the ancient greeks didn't like women much and that sex with them was mainly for procreation. Ancient greek men had a culture that encouraged male bonding to the fullest extent possible including male on male sex. They weren't gay. They just valued men that much and were extreme misogynists in general...or so the common historical meme goes....
Umm, no offense, but I would say that not liking women much and encouraging male bonding to the extent of male on male sex is pretty much the definition of gay.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:29 PM

I seem to remember someone pointing out that the actual common practice in Greek was not anal sex, though, but more between the thighs or similar. And that, even amongst modern homosexual men, anal sex is not as common as people would lead you to believe.

Oh, and the only argument I've seen that the Ancient Greeks really weren't gay is the idea that homosexuality requires the practice to be between adults, while the Greek practice was between an adult and an adolescent, a form of pederasty rather than homosexuality.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_columbia View Post
Umm, no offense, but I would say that not liking women much and encouraging male bonding to the extent of male on male sex is pretty much the definition of gay.
When we say that the Ancient Greeks "didn't like" women, we mean that they actually considered women inferior beings.

And no modern definition of "gay" includes misogyny.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:51 AM

You invent the map, no one remembers.

Invent the thermometer it doesn't raise any heat.

Create democracy, the world doesn't care.

But you fuck one Greek guy up the ass.........
Old 03-03-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
You invent the map, no one remembers.

Invent the thermometer it doesn't raise any heat.

Create democracy, the world doesn't care.

But you fuck one Greek guy up the ass.........
*Heh*

That is the answer I was waiting on!

Thanks!

Q
Old 03-03-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_columbia View Post
No it's not. Sexual orientation has more to do with attraction than action, and there's no evidence that Greek man weren't attracted to women.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
*Heh*

That is the answer I was waiting on!

Thanks!

Q
Did you hear about the Greek boy who ran away from home? He didn't like the way he was being reared.

He went back though. He couldn't leave his brothers behind.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
He couldn't leave his brothers behind.
It works better if you punctuate it thusly: brother's behind.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Human View Post
It works better if you punctuate it thusly: brother's behind.
Only if you wanted to make it a dirty joke disparaging Greeks instead of an anecdote.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steken View Post
When we say that the Ancient Greeks "didn't like" women, we mean that they actually considered women inferior beings.
That covers a large amount of humanity until very recently and a lot of it nowadays... you say it like they were the only ones ever.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:53 PM

Al Sharpton On Greeks (Ancient)

Rev. Sharpton did hold forth on the ancient Greeks:
Quote:“White folks was [sic] in caves while we was building empires.... We taught philosophy and astrology and mathematics before Socrates and them Greek homos ever got around to it.”

Rev. Sharpton (with his usual good humor and erudition) really gets the point across!
Old 03-04-2012, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
That covers a large amount of humanity until very recently and a lot of it nowadays... you say it like they were the only ones ever.
Didn't mean to imply that the misogyny of the Ancient Greeks was somehow exclusive to them.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

History Laid Bare: Love, Sex, and Perversity from the Ancient Etruscans to Warren G. Harding by Richard Zacks contains a chapter in which the author recounts looking through old court records from the 18th and 19th centuries.

He found records of English women filing for divorce, on the grounds that their husbands wanted to do it "French style".

He found records of French women filing for divorce, on the grounds that their husbands wanted to do it "Italian style".

He found records of Italian women filing for divorce, on the grounds that their husbands wanted to do it "Greek style".

So, it seems that those decadent easterners always get accused of preferring the back door.

I once subscribed to a listserv thread, in which a group of Greeks, and a group of Turks, spent page after page after page arguing about whose ancestors were the most enthusiastic pederasts.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:30 AM

What nationality wanted to do it "doggy style"?

Q
Old 03-04-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
What nationality wanted to do it "doggy style"?

Q
Labrador Receiver
Old 03-05-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I seem to remember someone pointing out that the actual common practice in Greek was not anal sex, though, but more between the thighs or similar.
Yes, it's called diamerizein. Between the thighs was the most common male-male sex act in Ancient Greece. Anal sex was not favored, though of course it did happen.

Quote:
And that, even amongst modern homosexual men, anal sex is not as common as people would lead you to believe.
This is true, but not in favor of the thigh-sex preferred by the Greeks. I've never met anyone who claimed to be into that (queer male here), though I hear it's popular in India or something.

Anal sex is certainly more popular amongst modern homosexual men than it was in years past, even more recently. Not long ago I read an interview with an elderly gay man in which he recalls a time when anal sex was socially disfavored by the gay community, and men who preferred it were derided as "brownie queens".
Old 07-10-2013, 06:46 AM

You are quite right, not only was it not favored, it was detested by civilized Greeks. Aesop had a fable mocking buggers as shameless, Aeschines called them "brutal and uncultured," and Aristotle classified buggery as a neurosis akin to eating dirt.

If you want "chapter and verse" citations you are welcome to read my article on the topic, just search for "How the moderns pinned anal sex on the Greeks" and my name. It specifically addresses how this unfortunate association between Greek culture and this behavior came about. It is a very old association, going back to the days of the Greeks, and likely it is based on a combination of factors.

First, not all Greeks behaved in a civilized manner with boys, some were abusive and violated their boyfriends. Secondly, Greek culture came under attack from a new religion out of Asia, called Christianity, and puritan arguments were one of the weapons used against the Greeks. Thirdly, the Greeks were one the first cultures to haver the courage to discuss this practice, so even though they almost unanimously denounced it still the association remained.

I liked your comment about "brownie queens." That is worth researching.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:59 AM

I blame Aeneas.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
the thigh-sex preferred by the Greeks. I've never met anyone who claimed to be into that
Dry humping is like this, and it's fun enough that we've all done it.
Oiling up some boy and using his thighs like a fleshlight is fairly ingenious.
Almost like fucking a woman, without all the bleeding, bitching, and babies.

ETA- Greeks had foreskins, too. So maybe they didn't need the oil.

Last edited by aNewLeaf; 07-10-2013 at 08:06 AM..
Old 07-10-2013, 09:56 AM
Keeping my password unchanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
History Laid Bare: Love, Sex, and Perversity from the Ancient Etruscans to Warren G. Harding by Richard Zacks contains a chapter in which the author recounts looking through old court records from the 18th and 19th centuries.

He found records of English women filing for divorce, on the grounds that their husbands wanted to do it "French style".

He found records of French women filing for divorce, on the grounds that their husbands wanted to do it "Italian style".

He found records of Italian women filing for divorce, on the grounds that their husbands wanted to do it "Greek style".

So, it seems that those decadent easterners always get accused of preferring the back door.

I once subscribed to a listserv thread, in which a group of Greeks, and a group of Turks, spent page after page after page arguing about whose ancestors were the most enthusiastic pederasts.
To my reading of OP, this is the closest reply.

These thread posts, and Cecil's piece, are discussing history (granting for the nonce that an obscurely cited self-cite is relevant). The OP is one of historiography, the study of how history is written; that is, the history of history, how historical "truths" are decided upon.

All the posts are interesting. I'm interested in when and how and by whom such an association began generally. Perhaps more interesting is why.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:19 AM

"Bugger" is from "Bulgarian," specifically the Bulgarian religious sect Bogomils. They weren't massacred with the same blood lust as the Cathars, just buttsecks-slandered more thoroughly.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNewLeaf View Post
Dry humping is like this, and it's fun enough that we've all done it.
Oiling up some boy and using his thighs like a fleshlight is fairly ingenious.
Almost like fucking a woman, without all the bleeding, bitching, and babies.

ETA- Greeks had foreskins, too. So maybe they didn't need the oil.
"Fleshlight" is good.

I like that your post is vers libre.

Last edited by Leo Bloom; 07-10-2013 at 10:30 AM..
Old 07-10-2013, 10:27 AM

But, do ancient zombie Greeks prefer men?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
It gives the power to turn undead a whole new meaning.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:06 AM

How did Anal Sex and the Greeks get Associated?

When a daddy Greek and another daddy Greek love each other very much...
Old 07-10-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Panda View Post
It gives the power to turn undead a whole new meaning.
Take it seriously. Ask and the Net giveth.
Stupid paper (full at cite), worth it for epigraph-with-cite:
Greek zombies (final draft)
Jan Sleutels
Faculty of Philosophy, Universiteit Leiden, PO Box 9515, 2300 RA Leiden, Netherlands, jan@sleutels.com

ABSTRACT This paper explores the possibility that the human mind underwent substantial changes in recent history. Assuming that consciousness is a substantial trait of the mind, the paper focuses on the sug-gestion made by Julian Jaynes that the Mycenean Greeks had a "bicameral" mind instead of a conscious one. The suggestion is commonly dismissed as patently absurd, for instance by critics such as Ned Block. A closer examination of the intuitions involved, considered from different theoretical angles (social constructivism, idealism, eliminativism, realism), reveals that the idea of "Greek zombies" should be taken more seriously than is commonly assumed.

[Epigraph of essay]
It was so quiet that I heard
An ancient Greek zombie.

It was so quiet that I heard
My brain think in class.1
1. From: ‘If You Had Super Ears', by John, pupil of Y3/4 at St. Bartholomew's Catholic Primary School (Rainhill, Merseyside UK). Posted on the Internet as part of the school's poetry project; see http://www.st-bartholomews.st-helens.sch.uk.

Last edited by Leo Bloom; 07-10-2013 at 12:41 PM..
Old 07-10-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorslap View Post
Anal sex is certainly more popular amongst modern homosexual men than it was in years past, even more recently. Not long ago I read an interview with an elderly gay man in which he recalls a time when anal sex was socially disfavored by the gay community, and men who preferred it were derided as "brownie queens".
Who was it who said "Brownie, you're doing a heckuva job!"?
Old 07-10-2013, 01:02 PM

FTR, I emailed the school of the author of the epigraph. NB: I refer to this thread as a "genial semi-scholarly discussion." Yeah, that sounds right. Should be the standard line which GQ mods use when they tell people what they mod.

SPOILER:

The spreading fame of lines of poetry by one of your students

You may find the following two citations interesting.

The first is here, standing highlighted as the epigraph to a scholarly paper:

http://jan.sleutels.com/teksten/zombies.pdf

I found this paper [and] cited it in a genial semi-scholarly discussion. I cited it really only to draw attention to the lines written by that student:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...php?p=16459807

I am sure the boy's creativity reflects well upon the quality of your school and the fine education and talent of all your pupils.

Best wishes,
[name redacted]

ETA: What do moderators tell people what they do? Eg, stranger runs into Colibri at a cocktail party: "Do anything on-line to keep you occupied?"

Last edited by Leo Bloom; 07-10-2013 at 01:04 PM..
Old 07-10-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorslap View Post
Of course, now too opinions differ.

See these excerpts from a perceptive, funny, and witty essay by Stephen Fry on homosexuality, sodomy, and homophobia. Unfortunately I do not have the original cite. However, Fry has mentioned this subject on other occasions.

Excerpt from cite:
My own view is that most homophobia, if one wants to use that rather crummy word, has almost nothing to do with sex.

"But have you any idea what these people actually do?"

Self-righteous members of the House of Commons loved standing to ask that question during out last parliamentary debate on the age of homosexual consent.

"Shit-stickers, that’s what they are. Let’s be clear about that. We’re talking about sodomy here."

Oh no you aren’t. You think you are, but you aren’t, you know.

Buggery is far less prevalent in the gay world than people suppose. Anal sex is probably not much more common in homosexual encounters than it is in heterosexual.

Buggery is not at the end of the yellow brick road somewhere over the homosexual rainbow, it is not the prize, the purpose, the goal or the fulfillment of homosexuality. Buggery is not the achievement which sees homosexuality move from becoming into being; buggery is not homosexuality’s realisation or destiny. Buggery is as much necessary condition of homosexuality as the ownership of a Volvo estate car is a necessary condition of middle-class family life, linked irretrievably only in the minds of the witless and the cheap. The performance of buggery is no more inevitable a part of homosexuality than an orange syllabub is an inevitable part of a dinner: some may clamour for it an instantly demand a second helping, some are not interested, some decide they will try it once and then instantly vomit.
FTR, to me the effective persuasiveness of his argument--and that he has to make such an argument to the vast majority of people which has not thought it through his way--proves to me the exact opposite of his opening statement.

Last edited by Leo Bloom; 07-10-2013 at 01:26 PM..
Old 07-10-2013, 11:32 PM
Chicago Savant

The Greek and the Italian were arguing about whose culture was richer.

"Sex was invented in ancient Greece, you know" said the Greek.

"Yes, that is true," said the Italian. "But the Romans introduced the practice to women."
Old 07-11-2013, 12:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
You don't say who was arguing for what.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princhester View Post
You don't say who was arguing for what.
It started out as a perfectly rational discussion of medieval history. Then a member of one group accused the other group of preferring little boys. It then became a very erudite argument, with each group citing various medieval sources to document how perverted the other group's ancestors were.

It was quite entertaining, for the first dozen pages.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:14 AM

How do they separate the men from the boys in the Greek army?

With a crowbar.