What to do in the Bay Area?

I’m going to be in Oakland/San Francisco for a week at the end of the month. I’m going to be busy during the day for most of the trip, but I’ll have 3 full days to do things. I’m interested in food, drink (any place where I can get beer not available in DC is best), museums, etc. Anything quirky or off the beaten path would be great too.

For off the beaten path museums, I love the cartoon art museum, the exploratorium and the computer history museum in Mountain View. There’s plenty of good food and drink and several microbreweries around the area. What sort of food/budget are you interested in?

Are you a guy?

My ex tells me that the bushes at the west end of Golden Gate Park is a good place for a blowjob, as are the men’s restrooms in the Embarcadero Center. I have no knowledge of this myself.

Those things sound good. I’ll look into them. I’m pretty open when it comes to food. I tend to be a bit of a carnivore. I’ll be mostly dining alone, but I’m sure I’ll have dinner once or twice with a friend, so I’ll be willing to spend more then. I’d want to keep it under $100 though.

Foggy…I’ll keep that in mind, but I wasn’t looking for random sex with a dude.

I always recommend the City Guides free walking tours in these kind of threads. I’d start with the Gold Rush City, the Golden Gate Bridge, or one of the Earthquake-related ones. If you are looking for the quirky, I’d also try the Telegraph Hill Stairway Hike or Haight-Ashbury.

Do you want to avoid the “touristy” stuff in favor of quirky or do you want to combine the two?

Check out Johnny Funcheap for ideas. You may not be particularly interested in free or cheap, but they list lots of quirky events. For example, on March 22 there’s a Body Art Nightlife at the California Academy of Sciences, or on March 24 there’s the Dance Anywhere 2012: Simultaneous Global Dance-Off | SF.

How about a hike? Between Sausalito and Mill Valley is Tennessee Valley Road. Nice flat hike out to the oceam. There are also plenty of trails on Mt Tamalpais. It’s beautiful up there.

Quirky? Bay area? I think you’re out of luck.

No, seriously though. There’s a cool tour at the Anchor Steam Brewery, the granddaddy of American microbrews.

The oldest bar in San Francisco is the Saloon. Charles Bukowski used to hang out there and the stained glass window is on the cover of one of his books. Live blues a lot of the time. City Lights Bookstore is across the street if you are into beat poets. While you are at it hike up to Coit Tower for an awesome view.

ThePacific Pinball Museum in Alameda is a terrific quirky museum where you can play all kinds of vintage pinball machines.

I had a day to myself in San Francisco and I decided to take a bus tour. I’m pretty sure it was the Premium Tour on this page.

It wasn’t like…the best thing I’d ever done in my life but it was a great way to see a bunch of landmarks and get out on the water, and our tour guide was cool. I feel like I saw a ton of San Francisco and learned a lot.

If you decide to go, make nice with another person in the tour so they can take pics of you in places and you can take pics of them. It’s cool to have photos of yourself at places you visit!

Well, I was joking. I forgot the smilies, here are a few to make up for it: :o:D:p

I haven’t been to these places in years, but I always encourage people to check them out:

Cable Car Museum
A lot of history plus you get to see the machinery of the system. Nosy as hell, but I found it fun.

The Vulcan Steps
The Filbert Steps & the Greenwich Street Stairs (both on Telegraph Hill) are more famous and touristy but the Vulcan steps are a woodsy and quiet oasis and my favorite. I have always wanted to say I live on Vulcan.:smiley:

Musee Mecanique

It’s in the Fisherman’s Wharf area.

Both museums *were *free but did ask for a donation the last time I went, and that was a while ago.

Into museums of various sorts?

California Academy of Sciences Museum in Golden Gate Park.
Several major art museums there too.
Strybing Arboretum (also in Golden Gate Park).
Palace of the Legion of Honor (classical art museum) at Lincoln Park (far west end of Golden Gate Part and several blocks north).
Exploratorium in the Marina area (already mentioned above) – *** NOT TO BE MISSED ***
Oakland Museum – Natural history, history, and art – three museums in one.
Fisherman’s Wharf area (uber-touristy, if you’re into that).
Cable Barn (already mentioned above) and Lombard Street – World’s twistiest street. (Actually, just one block of Lombard Street.) I recommend walking it rather than driving it.
Golden Gate Bridge – The only bridge in the area with sidewalks you can walk or bike across (but good f—ing luck finding a nearby place to park)
Nightlife and performing arts galore (clubs, cabaret, live theater, concerts, opera, ballet, the works) if you’re into that.
Beach Blanket Babylon show?
Cuisine galore, if you’re into that.
Day trips to surrounding areas galore. Napa and Sonoma Counties – Wine Country.
Big Basin Redwoods State Park and/or Cowell Park – In the redwood forested mountains between San Jose and Santa Cruz, infinite hiking trails, picnic area, and related stuff.

Enuf for starters?

Chinatown. Last time I was there I stopped for a haircut at some tiny little barber shop on Broadway. Barber barely spoke English and truth be told it wasn’t a great haircut, but it was only $5. Totally worth it.

But non-random is still an option?

Oh dear og, how could I have forgotten Beach Blanket Babylon

From The Wiki:

Tickets are expensive, starting at $60, but well worth it.

The Alcatraz tour is interesting and the boat ride to get there is an added bonus.

I hear Bourbon & Branch is quirky (it’s a speakeasy) and makes good cocktails (I myself haven’t been, but a friend has). You need a password to get in (which you can get from the website).

Well, when in Rome…

Was just there eight hours ago. Drinks that are truly memorable.

We got on a tiny boat near the sealions which was a lot more personal than the Red and White Fleet of boats, and a lot less expensive.

Alcatraz was also really interesting - as a side note if you have time before you go watch Murder in the First from 1995ish, brilliant film to get the feel of the place.

We also did a bus trip to Muir Woods and Sausalito, both really relaxing, beautiful places.

Best San Francisco Scenic Photo-Op, assuming fabulously crystal-clear weather:
Drive north across the Golden Gate Bridge.
Note the mountain at the north end of Bridge, on your left.
Get off at first off-ramp north of bridge (just beyond the touristy rest-stop).
Drive up aforesaid mountain.
Stop at various places to view:
– (a) WWII ruins.
– (b) Unsurpassed aerial views of Bridge and San Francisco.

You’re going to be there for one (1) week, working on something all day, with just evenings available? Or maybe three (3) all-day days for touring? You got your work cut out for you here. If you could stretch your visit out by just a few more days (like, say, 30 or so) that might be just about enough. Bring extra $$$.

ETA: Another thing I just thought of, haven’t seen mentioned yet: If you’re going to be in Sausalito (bay-side town just north of the Bridge), do not miss the San Francisco Bay Model – A functioning scale-model of the entire bay, with running water and all. Over a period of about an hour or so, you can literally watch the tides flow in and out.

The Cliff House, Sutro Bath Ruins, and the Giant Camera.