Australian floods bring a sci-fi landscape of spiderwebs..

For all those who need one more reason to associate Australia with all things creepy, i thought you might like these stories about how wolf spiders and other ground-dwelling arachnids are fleeing the floodwaters in the Australian state of New South Wales.

Spiders conquer Australia’s flooded land

Spiders spin webs across Eastern Australia to escape flood waters

And now mhendo, where do I send my bill for the Ambien prescription I’m going to need to have filled?

willnotclickwillnotclickwillnotclick

Spiderwebs are THE irrational phobia I have. Not spiders, no, I can handle spiders themselves, but the webs send me weeping into a corner.

I can’t stand pictures of spiders, I really don’t know what possessed me to click on either of those links.
(But I don’t mind seeing them IRL and the pictures are still pretty neat looking.)

Can someone remind me again why we allow Australia to exist?

You’ve just seen pictures of what happens when part of Australia disappears beneath the waves. Do you want their critters to carpet the rest of the planet?

I don’t see what the big deal is. It’s just a picture of a snowy field.

Oh wait, that isn’t snow, is it?

:eek:

I’d be freaked out if I had to walk through those, but I have a more pressing question: there’s really a place in Australia called Wagga Wagga? Come on now.

Indeed. It seems Mom Nature used it as a prison colony too. “Send the baddest of the bad to that little continent.”

(Present company accepted, all our doper friends in Australia)

I would look at the links if I knew it was only pictures of webs, and not closeups of spiders.

There are spiders, lots and lots of spiders. DON"T CLICK!

Thanks.

Yes, and I’ve been there several times. There are also towns called Kurri Kurri, Tumbarumba and Woy Woy. Live with it.

In the first link, just look at the top picture, you’ll be ok, I promise. Just don’t scroll down.

It’s worth it, the picture is pretty spectacular :slight_smile:

Much of the time, it’s referred to simply as Wagga, especially by people who live in the region. It’s one of Australia’s largest inland cities, although that’s not really saying a lot, given that the vast majority of the country’s population lives near the coast.

It’s also not pronounced quite the way you would think. The first “a” in each word sounds like an “o,” making the pronunciation more like “wogga wogga.”

Good christ.

Nuke it from orbit, it’s the only way to be sure.

That’s how I assumed it was pronounced. I don’t know if that makes it less silly.

I’m living with it. I just think it sounds like something a person might make up as a parody of an Australian town.

A lot of the funny-sounding names derive from the various aboriginal languages.

Tumbarumba, Wollongong, Parramatta, Gundagai, Brewarrina, Coonabarabran, Mullumbimby, etc.

But you mustn’t call Wagga Wagga Wagga.

:slight_smile:

Must be a tough town to be a fly in.