Coby portable disc player problem

I realize this is a long shot, but here goes. I have a Coby 7" widescreen TFD LCD portable DVD/CD/MP3 Player. It worked fine for over a year but now all can get is a “Bad Disc” message when I load a disc. I’ve tried several discs known to work fine, but to no avail. Coby help is all but non-existent.
Does anyone have any advice or a site where I can get some help?
Thanks,
Jake

well coby is sorta the bottom barrel, you are the quality control;) kind of brand you buy for a raffle give away because you don’t care if it breaks after a year.

the most you can do is use a disc cleaner, cd/dvd is the same, its just a disc with a brush on the bottom. but well i have doubts, these drives are under 20 dollars now, so they are cost cut to the point where i’m sure many just break, i’ve gone through a good few dvdrw drives on my pc, but at 20 bucks who cares.

Cheap DVD players have so many components that could go wrong, sometimes you really can’t tell if it’s a problem with alignment, software, hardware, power, etc…

It’s possible it’s just a dirty or weak laser, You could try cleaning the lens with a Q-tip and some screen cleaner. You want to make sure you do not leave any dust or residue behind.

Yeah, I think with that style player, the laser lens is exposed whenever you open the cover to put in a disc, and it could easily get dirty, dusty, or smudged, which would render it unable to properly read and play your discs. If I were you I’d try cleaning the laser lens, maybe with one of those CD/DVD laser lens cleaners that Woodenspoon mentions. That may or may not help, but as far as I know it’s the only thing that has an easy fix.