Quick DVD player question--need answer fast

It was fine Monday.
Had a hard time loading Wednesday, then kept listing the disc as “incorrect disc”.
Now, it cannot read the disc at all.
Canned air to clear the dust does not help.

I am correct in assuming that I have a dead DVD player?

Just checking for an obvious fix.

Try another disc.

Already done.
No dice.

I’ve decided to get a new one, anyway.
Old one is old.

Plan B would be to try the disc in another player (like your PC? A friend’s disc player?)
Also play a different disc.

This will tell you what the problem is.

Sadly, it’s not worth trying to repair these things, a new player is probably cheaper.

I’d at least try cleaning the lens. If you’re going to go get another one anyways, you might as well go ahead and try anything easy.

Also, if you have one, maybe try a CD.

I second that. It’s highly suspect and simple enough to do.

I’ve gotten at least one CD player working again by using a CD laser lens cleaner (one of those discs that has the little brush bristles attached to it). If the OP already has one, I’d definitely recommend trying it. If not, trying to obtain one, or trying to clean the lens some other way, might or might not be worth it, compared to just giving up and buying a replacement player. (The OP specified that he did try cleaning with canned air.)

Canned air is good for dust bunnies but not greasy goop picked up on a disc that’s then smooshed onto the lens.

Since you are prepared to buy a replacement, nothing to lose.

It is surprisingly easy to clean and lubricate a CD or DVD player. Unplug the player. Remove any disc and then the cabinet top. Locate the laser sled that slides on the guide rod(s). See if it moves freely. Lightly lube the guide rod(s) with either light grease or even light oil (non-petroleum based is best). Slide the sled back and forth. Position the laser lens so you can clean it with a Q-tip. Use alcohol to clean the lens, but apply only light pressure. Do not use Windex or any other type of cleaner!

Re-assemble and give it a try. This usually fixes any fixable problem.

If you feel brave, you can leave the top off and try playing a disc. Sometimes the sled will hang up on the guide rod and you can gently coax it to go to its home position or to proceed further along the rod(s). If so, clean the rod(s) with alcohol and then lubricate them.

In my experience, this procedure will often extend the life of a player by several years.

My player is 15+ years old.
Imma think it’s time is done.